Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would u prefer 2 expansions in 8 months or more stuff/game packs?

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
edited September 2016 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
It took nearly 2 years to bring us 3 expansions and at this rate it will be nearly 2020 when we receive the final expansion (ok I don't really believe that but still) and while I know different teams work on different packs/expansions I wonder if they wouldn't be better suited at pooling their resources and focusing only on expansions. Especially after the feedback from "influencers" like LGR lol.

After all we have 8 stuff packs already and 3 game packs - to put that in comparison the Sims 3 has 9 stuff packs over its entire life span (and yes I know they are replacing Sims 3 store content in the form of stuff packs).

Its not that I have an issue with them, but I know they take up resources (aka man power) and teams could be put together to work on full blown expansions instead of broken up. Plus lets face it the quality of items in the last expansion (read bird animations) was horrible...I've seen better animations on tumblr by students still in highschool lol...

Anyway, would you prefer to see more expansion pakcs with fewer stuff packs or stuff/game packs with fewer expansions released?

P.S This isn't so much a quantity over quality question - its about how they are allocating resources to produce what content.

Comments

• I'll take quality over quantity every time. If it takes them 8 months to create a great EP, I'd rather wait than get a rushed product.
  • shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
    I'd rather get gamepacks and EP's but Sims 4 stuff packs have become the new Store. EA will never give it up because it's quick money for less work. Ea cares about the tumblr_n9p9owB9vl1sp8rlfo1_500_zpstwyyu4o6.gif
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I would like to see expansions and game packs and not too many more stuff packs, they can always put that stuff in game packs and expansions. I did like the waterslides in the last pack however, they could finally make the game pack and the stuff packs together in one big pack. They will most likely cost more to buy them, but I want to see the stuff come a little more evenly. Like maybe once a month or 2 like they used to in the store.
  • teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    I think OP the engine can't hold too many ep :)) so I don't think sims 4 will last for long.. Engine is so good that it's so dam limited:)) and as previous players said... I do prefer EP and Game packs rather than stuff packs...
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I need more gamepacks. I was for sure expecting at least 2 more vacation destinations by now since OR was the first thing released for this.

Yeah, yeah, IDC if they sell individual destinations one at a time. Then I can pick and choose the ones that mean more to me. Like Vegas, or the beach over skiing and a snowy mountain.

I don't want more stuff packs. I've barely touched kids room or BY. I need more game play. More expansions and more game packs.
  • Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    I like quality over quantity. Besides it seems like to me that all of the sim versions started off slow with expansion packs, then towards the end got faster with pumping them out. I have feeling sims 4 will be the same way.
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'll take quality over quantity every time. If it takes them 8 months to create a great EP, I'd rather wait than get a rushed product.

My question wasn't so much about quality or speed by type of content you'd PREFER to see them work on. Expansions or stuff/game packs. The timing thing was just a number I threw out there.

I'll be honest I don't expect we will see more then 6 expansions...maybe 7 but no more at this rate. I expect there will be a pets, there better be some kind of seasons expansion and a school one. TBH to me it makes sense if they actually did a school and seasons pack in one (aka follow the school year). Not only would this make more sense (aka prom not taking place in the middle of a snow storm lol) but since the game is no longer open world they have a LOT less things to do for seasons (besides introduce holidays) as they basically will only effect your home lot now.

edit: I've updated my post as to reflect my question better - stuff packs or expansions and which you prefer to see more of.
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    Honestly? After Outdoor Retreat I expected to get 2 eps, 4 gps and 6 sps every year. The production pace has been a huge disappointment. It shows that the team lacks staff members.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Honestly? After Outdoor Retreat I expected to get 2 eps, 4 gps and 6 sps every year. The production pace has been a huge disappointment. It shows that the team lacks staff members.

This is what I would also prefer.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    I'll take quality over quantity every time. If it takes them 8 months to create a great EP, I'd rather wait than get a rushed product.

My question wasn't so much about quality or speed by type of content you'd PREFER to see them work on. Expansions or stuff/game packs. The timing thing was just a number I threw out there.

I'll be honest I don't expect we will see more then 6 expansions...maybe 7 but no more at this rate. I expect there will be a pets, there better be some kind of seasons expansion and a school one. TBH to me it makes sense if they actually did a school and seasons pack in one (aka follow the school year). Not only would this make more sense (aka prom not taking place in the middle of a snow storm lol) but since the game is no longer open world they have a LOT less things to do for seasons (besides introduce holidays) as they basically will only effect your home lot now.

edit: I've updated my post as to reflect my question better - stuff packs or expansions and which you prefer to see more of.

They were able to do a seasons pack fr the sims 2 I hope they do something like that if they can't make it because of the closed worlds.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I wish they'd turn the stuff pack team into a second EP team and start churning them out every six months, again. We need Graham on EPs, anyway.
  • Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    I don't really mind stuff packs because for some players they want just extra stuff. I mean there isn't a sim store like with sims 3, so the stuff packs give people the option of choosing what stuff they want for their game. I also believe stuff packs are made from a different group of people then the expansion packs so I doubt the stuff packs are the reason for a small amount of expansion packs. The other thing is from a business standpoint it probably costs less to make a stuff pack, and uses less labor so they get quicker and more profit then with an expansion pack.
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    HalloMolli wrote: »

Agreed.
  • POLLYANNA2POLLYANNA2 Posts: 172 Member
    I like game packs and stuff packs are ok- I just ignore them if I don't like the theme.

I would love more EP if they were more like Sim3 EPs. They don't add enough to the game.

I did a comparison the other day of "Get to Work" and Ambitions because a friend had just started to play Ambitions and I was playing Get to Work. From our conversations, his gameplay seemed so much richer than mine was and had way zanier, so I wanted to investigate the differences.

This is my basic breakdown.

rCMawrS.jpg

Now, I know that they aren't the same pack, and I am sure I missed things, and I ignored CAS and Build/Buys objects that offered no gameplay.
    But notice how many columns where Sims 4 offers nothing in the same category of comparison (traits, rewards and LTW) or less (pretty much everything else).
    Also, notice how many of the things offered in Get to Work only help you if you are playing in a certain way or as a certain sim. Whereas, the Sims 3 allowed you to play with the objects in a number of ways. Eg. You could be a Policeman by day and an inventor by night. You didn't need to be in a certain Career to unlock anything.

Also, the lack or traits and LTR alarms me across all packs. Because I feel like I am playing with the same sims, over and over, because while they don't look the same - they want the same things or, have the same traits. EPs are meant to expand that.

So in short- I don't really care how many pack there are in a year, as long as they have the same depth and quality of content we've come to expect during the Sims 3. At present, there aren't many expansions on offer, and they are a lot smaller than previous EPs which makes the gaps in the base game get bigger and bigger.
    YouTube%20Forum%20Banner_zpsu3ts3wnz.png
    ou can read my Sim-Lit here:
    https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/

• WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    Beside the fact that I'm not buyng a thing for the sims 4 if toddlers or a colour wheel are not added, and even than I have my doubts I will enjoy the sims 4 enought to want to buy something for it, I don't buy game pack and game stuff pack on principle. I prefer to buy full, rich, gameplay expanding EP.
    But quite frankly, as exposed perfectly by POLLYANNA2, the expansion for the sims 4 are incredibly bare compared to the sims 3 EP, so I don't feel they are worth the same amount of money of a the sims 3 EP.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member

I agree totally, especially from bad experiences with earlier sims games.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    It would be nice to go back to two expansions a year but the problem is these expansions always seem to get criticised these days, especially in the TS4 climate so the team seem to be more focused on niche content as RF seemed to have called it.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    teaa5 wrote: »
    I think OP the engine can't hold too many ep :)) so I don't think sims 4 will last for long.. Engine is so good that it's so dam limited:)) and as previous players said... I do prefer EP and Game packs rather than stuff packs...
    It isn't about the game engine (and not about the capacity of the developers either). It is only about the market because the game engine is strong and could easily handle more EPs and if they sold well enough then EA would transfer or hire more developers to make them.

A company like EA which only is about business and who's board members and CEO are businessmen who just by random circumstances are selling games instead of other products only care about sales numbers and the market. So when they see the sales numbers for SPs, GPs and EPs they compare the profit and they choose SPs mainly because they are cheap to make and sell very well. Sales numbers also indicate that it wouldn't be profitable to release even more expansions each year than EA does now because then too many simmers wouldn't buy them all. So EA seems to have experienced that it is more profitable to release more SPs and to replace about half of the EPs with the new GPs.

I still believe that EA will stop making expansions for TS4 not later than early in 2019 and then probably release TS5. But if the sales numbers are disappointing then EA will reduce the number of expansions even before that.
  • hollymakesawishhollymakesawish Posts: 40 Member
    More EPs. No stuff packs at all. I'd rather have at least 2 EPs a year and zero stuff packs or game packs.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I'd have them remove stuff packs all together in the future, simply concentrate on game packs and expansions. GP have done a lot of good for the game so far, so I don't really want to say I'd give them up, but some of the major things the community wants are more likely to be EPs, Seasons, Pets, Supernatural, Generations, which are more important than the GP to me.
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    I'd be fine with the '1 year wait', if we got more game packs released. I think if we got maybe 2-3 a year, it would help with the long wait for an expansion pack to come out. Because, I look forward the most to expansion packs; and game packs are a bit closer to them. While I still love the stuff packs, the content can only hold my attention for so long before I'm wanting an Expansion pack. :(.
  • kwc1994xkwc1994x Posts: 28 New Member
    I would love more EP's - I (personally) don't really buy the GP's or SP's. But I would love more quality expansion packs above the other 2 any day.
  • PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    I'd like an expansion every six months. If they take as long doing EP4 as they did doing EP3, they'll eventually start losing players as people get frustrated that they still don't have pets, still don't have supernaturals, still don't have seasons, still don't have toddlers, etc. We don't want to wait five years to get these things.
    It won't be a rushed product if they have enough people working on it. They can do a nice expansion in 6 months if they have enough people hired to do it. It's a matter of having a big enough staff to work on it in that time frame.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited September 2016
    Penelope wrote: »
    I'd like an expansion every six months. If they take as long doing EP4 as they did doing EP3, they'll eventually start losing players as people get frustrated that they still don't have pets, still don't have supernaturals, still don't have seasons, still don't have toddlers, etc. We don't want to wait five years to get these things.
    It won't be a rushed product if they have enough people working on it. They can do a nice expansion in 6 months if they have enough people hired to do it. It's a matter of having a big enough staff to work on it in that time frame.

An awful lot of what happens in game design and development can't be sped up just by having more people. The only way to get twice as many EPs a year is to have twice as many people on the EP team, overlapping development.

Anyway, I'd like a couple of GPs a year as well as the EP a year we seem to be getting. A lot of things we used to get in EPs like holiday destinations, supernaturals, and the like can be done in GPs. I'd like Active School, and it might be a GP possibility. Get to Work could have been two GPs: one for active careers, one for retail. And I like the SPs. I wouldn't have wanted to have to wait until a complete summer-themed EP to get a backyard water slide, and then to have it have to replace some other thing in the pack. SPs expand what we get overall, and they mean we can get some things sooner, since they don't have to wait for a theme to fit into.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Penelope wrote: »

An awful lot of what happens in game design and development can't be sped up just by having more people. The only way to get twice as many EPs a year is to have twice as many people on the EP team, overlapping development.

Anyway, I'd like a couple of GPs a year as well as the EP a year we seem to be getting. A lot of things we used to get in EPs like holiday destinations, supernaturals, and the like can be done in GPs. I'd like Active School, and it might be a GP possibility. Get to Work could have been two GPs: one for active careers, one for retail. And I like the SPs. I wouldn't have wanted to have to wait until a complete summer-themed EP to get a backyard water slide, and then to have it have to replace some other thing in the pack. SPs expand what we get overall, and they mean we can get some things sooner, since they don't have to wait for a theme to fit into.
    It took them 11 months from EP2 in December 2015 until they plan to release EP3 in November 2016. But we all know that it never earlier took them more than about 6 months to make the next EP and EPs for TS4 isn't bigger. It must even be faster to make EPs for TS4 than for TS3 because TS3 had problems with stability. So the explanation for the delay of EP3 must instead be that it had low priority and that they now also release GPs (and a huge number of SPs too). I can't believe that they even started to make EP3 at all until several months after the release of EP2 - maybe because they just wanted GP3 to be finished first.