Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm sorry for doubting you.

Dear Sims 4 Simmers,

This is an apology. In the beginning, I was exceptionally dubious about The Sims 4. I honestly didn't think it was possible to 'top' The Sims 3. Then news broke of the lack of Toddlers followed by no pools. I genuinely died a little inside. Family play is my thing, toddlers were essential. The jump from a baby to a child was just too much to bear, I felt I would be missing out on a part of that Sim's life.
I pre-ordered anyway, I am a loyal Simmer, all the way from the very first mention of Betty and Bob as a child, I was not going to let all the negativity put me off at least trying it.
Game release day came, I put a solid 60 hours into it. I didn't get it. I couldn't live without Toddlers. The Sims looked too much like cartoon characters, I hated not having an open world, and play without free reign on my clothes, furniture and patterns bugged me. This game wasn't for me.

So I slated it.

Like all the other Sims 3 lovers, I slated it. I hated it. I came onto this forum and complained like nobodies business. "The Sims are going backwards", "They're trying to make it like a mobile app", "NO TODDLERS!!!". I gave up playing it and went back to my beloved TS3.

.....Until last week.

I decided after seeing the marketing for the upcoming The Sims 4 City Living, I would give it a go, out of boredom. See if anything had changed. And boy it had. I found myself getting attached to the little Simmy I created, not wanting to leave her alone. Now that so long had passed from release, there was a mountain of CC available now, so I downloaded, my game was instantly better. I became so excited to play everyday after work that I splashed out on Get To Work. My Simmy took on the Medical field and quickly became an Assistant Nurse. I needed more. I doiwnloaded Get Together. She joined a club, met another Sim and is now married with a baby on the way.

I think the lack of features and CC in the beginning, along with teething problems, updates and all the negativity really clouded my judgement. I had made up my mind before I had even given it a chance.

So there it is TS4 simmers. I officially apologise. I love your game.

Ellensim89 X

Ps, I still miss toddlers though :'(

Comments

• ellensim89ellensim89 Posts: 153 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    "Like all the other Sims 3 lovers," ... well, I don't slam it (TS4*) for no reason. You might have, but I don't.

Happy Simming- for whichever Sims game you want to play. :mrgreen:

I should edit that shouldn't I? Like SOME of the other Sims 3 Lovers. When it was released though, it SEEMED like ALL of them :D
  • Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    I'm happy you are enjoying your experience with sims 4. That has happened to me before with other games I didn't like I'll go back to them and suddenly I like it for some reason. I don't know for me if it's just having a different perspective at that moment or just not liking change. I was kind of the same way with sims 3, I actually only started liking it towards the end of that series.
  • EmeraldEclipse1EmeraldEclipse1 Posts: 103 Member
    It's wonderful how you were able to overcome your prejudices and try again.
    Happy Simming!
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I'm glad your enjoying it Again!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    That's really cool! I've never had this happen with a game for me, but I've had it happen with other things - TV series, book series, etc. Sometimes I think it's that the time just wasn't right for me, sometimes that whatever it is got better, even if I'm not really sure how. Now and then I've known it's really been me that changed. I hope that game manages to stay on the positive side for you!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I still remember how a Guru said, "If you thought emotions were great in the other games then we did a good job of fooling you. TS4 emotions are more real." -I'm paraphrasing because I don't have the link any more. It really irritates me when I play- these annoying emotions.

Ugh, I really did not like that quote. :neutral:

It sounds so bad. Like, why are they dissing their own past products (or insulting their customers with the "we fooled you" part)?

I thought even Sims 1 had great emotions as well (even if they acted a bit dumb, lol).
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    I'm glad you now have a new game to enjoy :3
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • taigoesrawrtaigoesrawr Posts: 812 Member
    You don't really have to apologize ... but it's great that you're enjoying the game. As long as you're enjoying yourself .. nobody else's opinion matters. :)
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I still don't get playing with Sim's Emotions. The Emotions are so... weak and, to me, worse than TS3 emotions and even more worse than TS2 emotions.

I still remember how a Guru said, "If you thought emotions were great in the other games then we did a good job of fooling you. TS4 emotions are more real." -I'm paraphrasing because I don't have the link any more. It really irritates me when I play- these annoying emotions.

"For example, we say something along the line of, "hey, these new emotions Sims have are pretty rad", and people counter with, "but my Sims have always had emotions". Well… ok, maybe we did a convincing job selling that fiction in previous games, but truly your Sims haven’t had anything like this before." -Graham Nardone
  • shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
    I still don't get playing with Sim's Emotions. The Emotions are so... weak and, to me, worse than TS3 emotions and even more worse than TS2 emotions.

I don't think Sims 4 emotions are as bad as Sims 3 Sims. I hate Sims 3 sims, they act like robots. Sims 4 they feel more alive, I'll give Sims 4 that.
  • SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    Nothing to apologize for. If you didn't like the game, it's completely fine.

Like you, I had serious doubts when I heard about the lack of pools, open worlds, etc. Only difference is, I didn't pre-order or buy the game until like a year later, after I had tried out the free trial and found myself having a lot of fun.

Anyway, it's good to see you're enjoying it now. Hopefully, you'll continue to enjoy it. It definitely needs some more stuff added to it, but I find it enjoyable.
  • jusMehjusMeh Posts: 424 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    "Like all the other Sims 3 lovers, I slated it. I hated it."

Wut..? Speak for yourself please, not for me.
    (I almost smell something suspicious due to that line; like, are you indeed a real Sims 3 fan, or is this just a way to advertise the game and downgrade criticism Sims 3 fans have?)

idk, but you should check out her Page, in the "Discussions" area... it's interesting. :/

• IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    You really don't need to apologize. TS4 was dubious in its beginnings and while I'm not sure if it's any better now, it's completely fine if you didn't like it now or before. Just because you liked TS3 doesn't make you "one of those simmers" and yeah, there are Simmers that like both. Which is fine. Because TS3 lovers are capable of understanding that people like different things.
    But since you do like it now, congrats. Now you've got one more game to play and have fun with.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    ellensim89 wrote: »
    Dear Sims 4 Simmers,

This is an apology. In the beginning, I was exceptionally dubious about The Sims 4. I honestly didn't think it was possible to 'top' The Sims 3. Then news broke of the lack of Toddlers followed by no pools. I genuinely died a little inside. Family play is my thing, toddlers were essential. The jump from a baby to a child was just too much to bear, I felt I would be missing out on a part of that Sim's life.
    I pre-ordered anyway, I am a loyal Simmer, all the way from the very first mention of Betty and Bob as a child, I was not going to let all the negativity put me off at least trying it.
    Game release day came, I put a solid 60 hours into it. I didn't get it. I couldn't live without Toddlers. The Sims looked too much like cartoon characters, I hated not having an open world, and play without free reign on my clothes, furniture and patterns bugged me. This game wasn't for me.

So I slated it.

Like all the other Sims 3 lovers, I slated it. I hated it. I came onto this forum and complained like nobodies business. "The Sims are going backwards", "They're trying to make it like a mobile app", "NO TODDLERS!!!". I gave up playing it and went back to my beloved TS3.

.....Until last week.

I decided after seeing the marketing for the upcoming The Sims 4 City Living, I would give it a go, out of boredom. See if anything had changed. And boy it had. I found myself getting attached to the little Simmy I created, not wanting to leave her alone. Now that so long had passed from release, there was a mountain of CC available now, so I downloaded, my game was instantly better. I became so excited to play everyday after work that I splashed out on Get To Work. My Simmy took on the Medical field and quickly became an Assistant Nurse. I needed more. I doiwnloaded Get Together. She joined a club, met another Sim and is now married with a baby on the way.

I think the lack of features and CC in the beginning, along with teething problems, updates and all the negativity really clouded my judgement. I had made up my mind before I had even given it a chance.

So there it is TS4 simmers. I officially apologise. I love your game.

Ellensim89 X

Ps, I still miss toddlers though :'(

It's your game too; it belongs to everyone that enjoys it. I am glad that you are having a good time.

• Welcome to the club. I've loved TS4 from the beginning, glad it's winning more people over.
  • PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm a huge fan of Sims 3, too. I've been playing 4 for a good long while now, though, because there are some things I really like about it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the CAS create-a-face feature that lets you push and pull the face until you like it. That is epic. I love the short loading times (although you have a lot more of them because of no open world). I love that the Sims can just slide around each other without getting in each other's way and tapping their feet. I love that hats are separate from hair.

One of the things I don't like about 4 is that there seems to be less to do than there was in 3. Like, my Sims can wander around Windenburg and there won't be a single thing for them to do except to play chess. I wish there were more collectibles. I wish they could find small animals outdoors and keep them as pets.
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member

I don't think Sims 4 emotions are as bad as Sims 3 Sims. I hate Sims 3 sims, they act like robots. Sims 4 they feel more alive, I'll give Sims 4 that.

Okay- You have the right to think that. I have the right to disagree whole heartedly. I don't like over emotional swinging, freakishly smiling Sims. :mask:

I can't even get my sims to be over emotional. They always get back to being happy before I get to process anything.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Ifreshyeh wrote: »

Okay- You have the right to think that. I have the right to disagree whole heartedly. I don't like over emotional swinging, freakishly smiling Sims. :mask:

I can't even get my sims to be over emotional. They always get back to being happy before I get to process anything.

Yes- their Emotions swinging back and forth and back and forth in seconds IS over-emotional in my opinion.

• meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    If you had just mere doubt, than you didn't mind it that much to begin with.

I have hatred.
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited September 2016
    mellbella wrote: »
    Lets face it. The Sims 4 is not good.

Its so simple...

I agree, it's not good - it's the best!

Hey OP, this was a wonderful read, glad you managed to overcome the barrier that stopped you from having fun and finally see the strong parts of TS4 (the parts which make the game shine). Once I was a hater myself (if you compare my very first posts in the forum here with today you will notice :P) but I left the misery behind me eventually, just like you.

Keep simming!

Edit: By the way: I had this moment of insight the second time now.

When Final Fantasy 13 came out I literally hated it (even more than TS4) because, as always, it broke with the formula I was used to for more than 12 years. When I gave the trilogie another chance two years ago I fell in love with it. I guess things change. And that's good =) .
    Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."