Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Starting to say YES to Sims 4

I never really forgave whoever it was that decided to remove from Sims 4 nearly ALL the things which attracted me to Sims 3. In the past I spent hours trying to find something I liked about the game, only to give up because it just wasn't holding my interest. So many things irritated me from the slow eating, the bathroom waddle, the lack of matching colours and not enough colour choices, etc, etc. Too many to mention.

However........I have opened Sims 4 again and find myself coming round. I downloaded a mod today which has changed and removed some of those things that really irritated me in the past. Being unable to drag the needs bar, for example, was driving me crazy because I hate the awful hunger on waking and the bathroom waddle every morning, day in, day out. Boring, boring, boring. But it's not today because I can cheat so that a box comes up to add a number and hey presto, no more bathroom waddles, no more hunger. Suddenly my sims are free to do other things first thing in the morning! Game changing! Problem solved and it's allowing some pleasure into my game. I know that there is another cheat but remembering and typing those ridiculously long cheats into the cheat box created frustration on its own.

Those Wind Chimes in backyard stuff are actually really rather nice. And today, I just witnessed the female sim water sliding in her new 'whatever its called' in the garden and her partner came out of the house into the garden, stopped to give the female sim a kiss and then walked back into the house. What a nice touch that was! I fully expected the male to join her in the water slide but no, he just walked back in the house. It was very touching and it made me realise just how much subtle detail is being added to the game.

Of course, I still have the problem with the lack of colour customisation but I suppose using Sims 4 Studio will help in my own game, even if I can't upload customised lots or rooms into the gallery UNFORTUNATELY!

Now, I just need one more improvement - a way to be able to create customised colours for objects which are acceptable to upload to the gallery and which are acceptable to Sims 4 players to download into their own game. Knowing how wary players of mods and custom content, it really would be great if developers could create some kind of programme, external or otherwise, that would make colour customisation, even in a very simple form, acceptable to upload to the gallery and acceptable for gallery users. That would mean colour customisation could be 'shared' which would allow for a 'missing' component to be added back to the game. And it would provide more interest for those players who have always enjoyed designing with colour. If Sims 4 Studio can create a programme which can recolour stand alone objects, then why can't EA????? To do this would appease many Sims players, I'm sure, and especially ME! It's all I'm lacking for a super duper experience with Sims 4 so, any chance?? As I said in another thread, I identified with someone who called themselves a Simaholic but I've suddenly had a bit of a break through.

I really hope this particular problem with colour customisation can be addressed and I'm crossing my fingers.

Comments

• simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    Colour customization would be wonderful. It would give me a reason to play this game. Sigh... I guess we'll have to wait until 2018.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    Colour customization would be wonderful. It would give me a reason to play this game. Sigh... I guess we'll have to wait until 2018.

Colour customisation would indeed be wonderful but I don't want to wait until 2018. Put it like this, I'm getting on a bit so I don't feel as if I have quite so much time for waiting around for things as I did perhaps when I was younger. So I'm hoping they are hearing me and that it will be sooner rather than later. :)

• alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    Idk... I'm on the fence about this game but, more so on the negative side.

I like how my sims' child willtake their anger out on their toys after a long, hard day at school.
    29294497083_234bdc06e2_b.jpg

Or how my sims' boyfriend will help fix the kids dollhouse when they start crying about it.
    29886185436_a08ed90050_b.jpg

Only to find out... My sim is the culprit. :D
    29626950070_d67a6f12f0_b.jpg

The social interaction is pretty nice in this game but, it's still flawed. However, I like how if I split my sims up, they can still stay in contact with their kids. In TS3 that was kind of hard to do.
    29921354695_5c495b75a0_b.jpg

And it's not just your sims that act awry from time to time with this game. I love how other sims can be angry without me even controlling them. I sent my sim to a restaurant and this little girl was yelling at her parents. I thought it was so funny.
    29293967494_d6d435fa0d_b.jpg

And then she went outside to go stomp in a pile of trash... Which was quite overly exaggerated if you ask me. I like chaos, but I like balance too. I mean seriously... Who steps in a pile of trash when they're angry... Not me.
    29626983260_3140896bfa_b.jpg

Idk... Even with Get to Work it's nice how our sims can go to stores and try on clothes again... But. Why should we pay for them when they're right in the wardrobes... Like idk. I don't get it. I guess it gives our sims something to actually spend their money on.
    29838069491_5cd3e995fe_b.jpg
    p6tqefj
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Well it is nice that you have found something that you enjoy out of the game :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    It's cool that you are finding a way to enjoy the game.

My main issue with TS4 has always been the gameplay. Many times, and especially in TS4: GTW, the gameplay is far too restrictive and grindy. That type of gameplay does not belong in The Sims, IMHO. It should always remain open-ended and give us freedom to play how we want. Additionally, the game should have a huge focus on the Sims themselves in TS4, as that's what the base game set out to do, however, the packs haven't really expanded upon them as much as I would like to see.

I would like to continue to believe that City Living is going to be a turning point for TS4. So far, the developers have consistently reminded us that they really wanted apartments to be something you have (the option) to work your way up with, the way you want. That's what going back to the roots is for me. And the gameplay design of apartments really feels like it's designed as a life-simulation, between the way Sims behave in them, the gameplay choices you have with them (and lot traits!), and the smaller things like rats and infestations, which all seem great to me. Additionally, we found out that City Living will have flea markets where we can sell things, such as harvestables at.

In short, it does feel as if our feedback is finally being worked into packs from this point. As long as the gameplay is top notch and fun, and not full of dumb checklists, I'd be happy to play the game.
    One of the reasons I was previously unhappy with the game was that all the sims are too 'nice'. Sims 4 is like Utopia; everyone is so 'good'. I previously thought this boring. But then I thought about it and realised that I actually prefer my own life to be Utopia, so Sims 4 is maybe showing me that life can and 'should' be happy. There is already enough drama in the world so hey, why not? So I came to terms with it and thought, OK, I'll make my world into a holiday place where everyone is having fun and a good time sliding on water slides, swimming, going to night clubs and dancing, etc, etc. I'll build caravan parks and holiday venues and so on and I began to get some ideas on how to work 'with' the game instead of against it.

So I put the game on and left it for a short time to check out another game on my tab. Nothing will happen, I thought, my sims will take care of themselves like they always do. So what a shock it was when I went back into my game (I hadn't paused it) to find the grim reaper there, my other sim mourning and the back yard on fire! Say what????? This doesn't happen in the Sims 4!

But it seems that it does so that was my theory down the toilet. So where am I now? Hmmm, wondering what else I might have missed in this game - I have to ask myself if I have given it a fair chance. I can't help but feel how ironic that should happen in my game today of all days, just when I decided to accept Utopia once and for all and go with the flow.

Even so, I still haven't forgiven the creators of this game for taking out any option to recolour objects. Recolouring objects and decorating was always my sole interest in the Sims games and they took it away with Sims 4. So I'm still sore about it and will continue to be until something is done to correct it, if ever.

Strange days...........

• NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I'm glad to hear you are managing to find ways to have fun with TS4. In my opinion I find it sad that you needed mods to do this. Now I am in NO way anti mods. lol I use mods extensively in TS3 but my point is that I was able to play TS3 for years without mods as I personally enjoyed the content from the get-go. I can't help but feel that needing mods to enjoy a game still isn't as good as having a fantastic game that you enjoy which you then add mods to for more variety.

I'm also of the opinion that CL may just be the turning point of this game. I'm openly an optimist (heck I still believe toddlers as free DLC for xams!). Either way any simmer managing to get their money's worth out of a game that initially disappointed them is good stuff in my books.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear you are managing to find ways to have fun with TS4. In my opinion I find it sad that you needed mods to do this. Now I am in NO way anti mods. lol I use mods extensively in TS3 but my point is that I was able to play TS3 for years without mods as I personally enjoyed the content from the get-go. I can't help but feel that needing mods to enjoy a game still isn't as good as having a fantastic game that you enjoy which you then add mods to for more variety.

I'm also of the opinion that CL may just be the turning point of this game. I'm openly an optimist (heck I still believe toddlers as free DLC for xams!). Either way any simmer managing to get their money's worth out of a game that initially disappointed them is good stuff in my books.

Thanks for responding. You know, I never, ever used custom content in my Sims 3 games although I did use a few mods because I like cheating! :) I like to play my games 'my way' and tell my own stories. :) I agree that I shouldn't have to use mods in my game and if I'm having to use them now, then something is missing from my game. Especially if I have to use custom content - that shouldn't be the case because the game should not be so limited with its colour choices especially following on from Sims 1, 2 and 3. More options should have been provided in Sims 4, not less! (in my view)

• NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Eeek, color choices. *sigh* The older the game gets the more I miss the customization from 3. I really didn't miss it at first, I suppose because it was all new etc. Nowadays though it just saps me of my motivation to build. :/

Still... keeping with the 'hopeful' theme of your OP... CL looks to add some new swatches and options, so thats good. :)
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2016
    Coming to terms with certain things is what I recognize and I know it's possible. For me it's mainly the cartoony approach I have to come to terms with. The problem is, that it means things come less naturally, I always have to find that certain mindset when starting the game and I don't always succeed. After which I close the game again. And the next time I do manage and really enjoy playing it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    CL isn't really appealing to me right now if apartments work the way I think they do, but the possibility for earthquakes (this is a thing right?) and roaches may change my mind. But otherwise, I'm in the same boat! Recently I've been setting up my town so that when a relationship culling and decay fix (and eventually toddlers and more family play) come to the game, I can play all out and finally enjoy the game. Until then, I'm gonna finish up my town and put it away for a while.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Initially I totally hated ts4, but it grew on me as time went by and extra dlc came along. It has some lovely aspects to it which I enjoy very much.

It is a bit weird for me though as, even now, sometimes I feel like I really like it then I can suddenly go off it a bit. At the moment I'm in an off phase and have reinstalled ts3. I've been going through my sims 3 hoods editing things to my liking and it is SO nice to be able to colour things exactly how you want them!

Initially I totally hated ts4, but it grew on me as time went by and extra dlc came along. It has some lovely aspects to it which I enjoy very much.

It is a bit weird for me though as, even now, sometimes I feel like I really like it then I can suddenly go off it a bit. At the moment I'm in an off phase and have reinstalled ts3. I've been going through my sims 3 hoods editing things to my liking and it is SO nice to be able to colour things exactly how you want them!
    I simply want to combine the games for that reason. People combine playing I don't know how many diverse games, I must be able to manage playing three versions of one game then :p I don't miss toddlers or CASt in Sims 4 when I'm also playing Sims 3. I just do different things in both games.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

I only play TS3 so I don't experince the 'switching between two games' thing but when I played the TS4 Free atrial I was taken aback at how strange if was to build or decorate without CASt.

I think in TS3 we took it for granted and without it there is this emptiness once it is no longer there.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    On the fence for the moment. Waiting to see how City Living fares. Still waiting for toddlers.

Both Sims 3 and Sims 4 need mods, though Sims 4 seems to suit my playstyles a bit better and is easier to deal with.

(I had to do a lot of work setting up Sims 3 for rotational play, and set up fixed worlds, etc, while Sims 4 is much easier for me to pick up and play.)

I'm having a wait and see with this upcoming EP and what comes after that...
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 5,843 Member
    This game has a lot to prove still. It's different but not better because of the limitations. 2 yrs later and I'm still not buying into the hype of the Sims 4. The game I like won the Teen Choice award...The sims 3

I can have festivals and flea markets/ farmers markets in the sims 3. My sims can be bloggers and gamers. The creativity is endless in the sims 3. If you can imagine it, than you can create/ build it in the sims 3. Two yrs ago I said the sims 4 game cripples your creativity and I still stand by it strongly. Still got a long ways to go before I hit it hard... If ever.

• nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I want to get to "yes" but I can't. Sims 4 is restricted, confined, claustrophobic for me. I can't edit the worlds - I mean the street corners. Loading screens. No create-a-style, no terrain tools. Silly walks and angry poops. Nope, can't do it. I keep trying it again every once in a while but usually after a few minutes I have to give up. Even the camera angle (and that's with Sims 3 camera) drives me nuts.
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Ack, the camera is horrible! The last time I tried to play this game I felt like I was constantly fighting the camera in order to see my sim. I never had that problem with TS2 or TS3. I don't really get why it's so bad, but it is.

And I have a difficult time getting past the cartoon graphics, too. And the cartoony animations. I haven't 'bonded' with a single sim I've played yet. Add all that on top of the fact that my play style is gone and no, still not saying yes. I'll probably try again after the CL patch comes out (no plans to buy the pack, though), but I'm sure not expecting a miracle.

Hope your positive feelings for the game renew your interest, Sucom. I know how frustrating it is when you want to love the new Sims game but it just doesn't work for you.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    @HappySimmer3 I feel the exact same way with the camera! Thought I was the only one.
  • EgomouseEgomouse Posts: 69 Member
    Hmm, surprised about the camera thing. I think I only had trouble with the camera in one part of Windenburg where there was this large wall that kept bobbing my camera upwards :| Not a fun place to build.....lol. Sims 3's camera drove me nuts sometimes. There's also a few things that I wish would disappear from view when taking down wall view. Trees can also be annoying to build around. Treehouses are pretty annoying to build.
    I'm on the more fortunate side as most of the things that were taken out from Sims 3 are things that I never really used or liked. I don't like open world all that much, the long loading screen, etc. I didn't really use CASt or terrain tools much, besides ponds. So, I don't really miss them too much. If I do in the near future, I can always go back to Sims 3 to do what I specifically want.
    There's a way to make custom content in Sims 4 using a separate program and if you use it in the build, you can still upload them (unlike Sims 3 exchange, which I was sad I couldn't upload my bed and breakfast farm lot :c). It will just be marked with "custom content/modded" on the gallery, which means less views but it's at least uploaded. I've never downloaded anything from the gallery with custom content (as I avoid them...), so I imagine they would be missing when you do. Which would be a shame...
    I don't really use mods. I just got a few underwear for male Sims and objects (although, honestly I just use the urinals object I downloaded but replace them with stalls when uploading).
    Honestly, everything I wanted was in the Sims 4 besides the pond tool lol. The game basically will only get better for me. Terraforming came more for a hassle for me, although I liked having the option there just in case. I used it in mainly two builds really. I am building a hillside house in Sims 4, using a bit of imagination and work. I don't really see all that much limitation. Being able to enlarge objects and move them up and down wherever I want gives me a lot of freedom. I like the challenge of building. The fact that I could make a 3x3 room with pretty much all essential objects is such a cool thing. I find Get Together to be pretty flexible for what I want. I got a lot of stuff planned to use it to my advantage :3 My friends say I'm pretty creative, so I guess once I hit a point where I can't do what I want in Sims 4, that is when I should complain. I have a huge list. There's too many ideas to test out!
    I don't see the reason for me to uninstall Sims 3 because I love both games. I think eventually, I'll get all the expansions and stuff for Sims 3. I still think the game looks decently well, but I like cartoony styles a lot more. Again, Sims 4 just happened to cater to me a lot.....[All I need is spiral staircases and elevators :3]
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Last time I played it was for the Glow fruit- I started a New Sim and she had to earn all the skills while trying to grow the perfect grow fruit.

I'm still not ready to even like the game. The Sims can be cute but I've always felt that way. The game lacks too much and now Maxis is going still be stingy with more fun game tools.

When they let me play my way, I'll buy it.

The Sims are more annoying to me since I have to control not only what they do but their freakin' multi-tasking.
    I'm fine with the camera myself, I play in Sims 4 mode I must add. I'm having more trouble with that in Sims 2 to be honest. The transition between tab and no tab is boss in Sims 3 though. No suddenly hanging somewhere high above looking down like a bird in the sky, no change at all in fact. Which is why once upon a time I could create this gif:

giphy_zps3qrpwvie.gif

5JZ57S6.png
  • NehemiahxxNehemiahxx Posts: 12 New Member
    Can I just thank you for creating this thread?

I'm new to the forums, and new to the Sims franchise. It was I game I've wanted for a very long time, but my parents were anti-videogames so I had to wait. Now that I'm older and working, I finally bought the Sims 4 early this year and was so excited to play it. I too at first thought it was brilliant (the animation the design, the easy load up) . Until I started noticing missing features. Why are there any toddlers,cars (that special animation when things happen for the first time) I grew up watching game plays of the Sims 2 and 3 and was expecting that and so much more.
    Then I came to the forums,which opened up a whole other (dare I say issue) about the Sims 4. Thread after thread were just complaints. I was really disappointed.
    In short, I'm really happy you went back and tried to enjoy it again. And I'm happy that you explained your points without being condescending. I want to love the game, and I hope I will when CL comes out. Idk despite also being on the negative side..your post gave me hope.
  • simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I'm fine with the camera myself, I play in Sims 4 mode I must add. I'm having more trouble with that in Sims 2 to be honest. The transition between tab and no tab is boss in Sims 3 though. No suddenly hanging somewhere high above looking down like a bird in the sky, no change at all in fact. Which is why once upon a time I could create this gif:

giphy_zps3qrpwvie.gif

I <3 that gif something fierce! Now I want to customize plastic flamingos too!
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    I'm not okay with the camera. I use a wacom tablet. Some of us don't use the mouse. Games are completetly ignorant to this. Carpal tunnel keeps me from the mouse. If a game doesn't allow me to play with the tablet, it is a game I'm not interested in.

However, S4 offered the S3 camera, which worked well with the tablet. the S4 mode did not. Eh. Either way, I don't know why the changes were put in place to begin with. It's like the wheel. If it ain't broke; don't fix it.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5