Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited November 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by JLBDreamer on
  • EowynEowyn Posts: 151 Member
    Hello!

I had never heard of a reading circle until stumbling upon your thread - it's kinda like book club almost, and I love those! I am actively involved in one myself IRL and love to follow and discuss published literature.

My passion is story driven stories and it seems that this group has scripted stories. I am wondering if I can please join it? I have a story that I just published today (but written I have 15+ chapters and 9 in drafts that are 100% ready to be published!)

xxx Eowyn
  • xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    Im pretty sure someone in our group stepped back :) but im sure Lizzie would be glad to hear from you ...
    I too have a story driven story ... i think :) lol.
    @xJojox Thanks for the reply! I spotted some available.. spots (lol) on the Main thread and thought I'd ask. If not, no worries! I will check out some of the other circles. <3
    Yeah i cant see why you cant take the spot. :) i think we would all be very happy to have you!
    @xJojox You are so sweet <3
    Where r u from Eowyn :) If you dont mind me asking :_
    edited September 2016
    @xJojox I live in WA state right now, but I moved here from Sweden two years ago :smile:

Edit: If I am all over the place sometimes with grammar, that's why lol. Swedish is my native language.
    That's alright, i'm from Australia :)
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Hi @Eowyn, you are welcome to join our circle. We'd love to have you here.

We'd love to hear about you and your story. On our first page, we have a little section about introducing yourself. If you wouldn't mind answering, we can get to know each other. You can also read about our stories and bios on the first page of this thread.

your name (whatever you would like to go by in this discussion thread)
    your blog/story platform title and link (or WIP)
    a little bit about your story
    anything else you think would be useful, interesting, or relevant
    random fact about yourself like... what's your beverage of choice when writing?

I can add your info to our first page.

We have discussions every 2 weeks and this week's discussion is listed above here.

Also I'll let CathyTea know you've joined our circle. I'm happy to have a new reader/writer in this circle.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited September 2016
    @xJojox Ooh so you live in my future then! I believe your time zone is ahead of mine lol

@AdamsEve1231 I am so excited to be here! I am an avid reader of literature in general so I can't wait to catch up on everyone's stories. I will add them to my reading list and get started tomorrow. It's past Midnight here right now. Boo early mornings!
    • My name is Lea (User name Eowyn) I am originally from Sweden, which is my native language. I live in sunny California at the moment and take college classes for office administration so that I can drink a lot coffee while working. Just kidding! Or maybe only partial lol I love dogs and have two of them, one which I brought with me from Sweden when I moved here. I couldn't leave my baby behind. The other one is from a puppy mill that I agreed to adopt. She's very aggressive and came in 12 weeks old and feral in behavior. My vet suggested intensive training with her and we have been working with an expert on dog aggression and she is now better. Still super scared of people but at least she stopped growling and biting me and my family!
    • I am writing "Dear Bully" Link here. It is published on wordpress and in my signature you can also find a link to my forum thread.
    • "Dear Bully" is a story that follows a high school student named Sonia. She is being bullied, which over time will have consequences for both herself and some of the people surrounding her. I feel so strongly about this topic that I wanted to address it. I have a friend who's helped some with my story and I also draw inspiration from my sister (with her permission) as she was subjected to bullying.
    • I do have a trigger warning on my page because some people are sensitive to bullying, and a little further down the road, I might address another topic, which might call for another trigger warning.
    • I drink coffee when writing! TONS AND TONS! I am so addicted that I asked for an espresso machine for my birthday. It was literally the only thing I wanted. I have issues... I know lol.
    Anyway! I am SO excited about getting to know you all, and thank you so much for letting me be part of this.
  • Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
    Hi, @Eowyn! How are you?
    Eowyn wrote: »
    @xJojox Ooh so you live in my future then! I believe your time zone is ahead of mine lol

@AdamsEve1231 I am so excited to be here! I am an avid reader of literature in general so I can't wait to catch up on everyone's stories. I will add them to my reading list and get started tomorrow. It's past Midnight here right now. Boo early mornings!
    • My name is Lea (User name Eowyn) I am originally from Sweden, which is my native language. I live in sunny California at the moment and take college classes for office administration so that I can drink a lot coffee while working. Just kidding! Or maybe only partial lol I love dogs and have two of them, one which I brought with me from Sweden when I moved here. I couldn't leave my baby behind. The other one is from a puppy mill that I agreed to adopt. She's very aggressive and came in 12 weeks old and feral in behavior. My vet suggested intensive training with her and we have been working with an expert on dog aggression and she is now better. Still super scared of people but at least she stopped growling and biting me and my family!
    • I am writing "Dear Bully" Link here. It is published on wordpress and in my signature you can also find a link to my forum thread.
    • "Dear Bully" is a story that follows a high school student named Sonia. She is being bullied, which over time will have consequences for both herself and some of the people surrounding her. I feel so strongly about this topic that I wanted to address it. I have a friend who's helped some with my story and I also draw inspiration from my sister (with her permission) as she was subjected to bullying.
    • I do have a trigger warning on my page because some people are sensitive to bullying, and a little further down the road, I might address another topic, which might call for another trigger warning.
    • I drink coffee when writing! TONS AND TONS! I am so addicted that I asked for an espresso machine for my birthday. It was literally the only thing I wanted. I have issues... I know lol.
    Anyway! I am SO excited about getting to know you all, and thank you so much for letting me be part of this.

Hi @eowyn, and welcome to our circle. I'm so glad you're joining us. I'll be sure to add your information to the first page.

It's so cool you lived in Sweden. I guess us Americans probably say that a lot, but I totally want to travel and I'm fascinated with Europe and far east Asia. It's funny you live in California because I did too at one point.

I love coffee too. A bit of an addict myself. I have narrowed down how much I drink to a cup or two a day but I used to drink closer to 8. Too much shakiness and I was wired all the time. I still enjoy a good cup of coffee, but I sleep much better and I'm less anxious.

I'm glad you got things sorted out about your dog. I have a parent that does dog training on the side. My husband and I want German shepherds but we can't where we currently live, though we have a tuxedo cat.

Your story sounds so interesting. What a wonderful platform to speak out against bullying and raise awareness and knowledge. I'm looking forward to reading Dear Bully soon. I'm way behind with reading right now since I've been swamped with school and work.

I've been asking for a steamer for awhile now so I can make lattes at home. I need a new grinder too. Did you get the espresso machine or is your birthday coming up?

Looking forward to connecting with you more, and again, welcome to the circle! :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @Simcraft81 I am good, how are you? :)

@AdamsEve1231 Thank you for adding me! I am excited to be here. I have been doing a lot of country hopping through Europe and now state-hopping, but I have not been to Asia before. Have you considered going there?

I actually got the espresso machine. My birthday was in May. I was so excited haha. It's really nice to have but boy do I drink even more coffee now.

I am so clueless when it comes to cats.. Is a tuxedo class a race or color? I KNOW! I am horrible with cat knowledge lol
    @Eowyn my tuxedo class is an American short hair (breed) and bicolor (color). She has a black head and mostly black body with white fur in front on her chest (like a tuxedo) and four white paws. She's the cutest thing ever. I adore cats. But I like dogs too. What kind of dogs do you have?

Glad you got your espresso machine.

Visiting Asia? I'd love to visit Japan, and stay in a ryokan. I wouldn't mind seeing the Maldives and the Great Wall of China. I also would like to see the Middle East, and maybe Turkey. I've had friends visit. I also have some Eastern European countries on my bucket list, of course, a few Western European also, and I'd like to visit islands of the Pacific. I've been to roughly half of the U.S. States, but I haven't been out of the country yet. I've had a few opportunities but something always happened that prohibited me from going.

P.S. I read the first two chapters of your story and it's so depressing... but so well done. I can really sympathize with Sonia and I hope things look up for her. Maybe writing to her bully will help her process her emotions in a healthy way and find healing. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @eowyn, is your name from the best movie ever made? Please say yes!!!
    edited October 2016
    @AdamsEve1231 Thank you for reading the story and it is sad, really sad. My sister actually wrote a letter (not a diary but a single thing) to the girl who was bullying her, though she never gave it to her. It inspired some of the idea behind this. Your cat sounds super cute. Is she a kitten or is she all grown up now? <3

And I have two dogs, one who is a Danish-Swedish farm dog (it makes her sound huge but she's only 18 lbs lol) And the youngest is a Rat Terrier. She's registered with the American Kennel Club and is bred to fit the standard perfectly, but I still laughed when someone asked if I was going to show her. Only if the judges wouldn't mind turning into Rat Terrier snack xD

@xJojox YES! She is the most awesomenestessses character ever. <3

Oh and as a general update, I am working myself through the stories that you all are writing. I am almost caught up on Fine Lines and will jump to the next one after.
    JLBDreamer wrote: »
    @AdamsEve1231
    @xJojox
    @CreamierThanMami
    @Simcraft81

Hi everyone!

I thought it might help encourage discussion of my story in the coming week if you had the themes I was developing in generation 1 of Wild Hearts and a bit of background. This story was built around the theme of transformation and inspired by the play Pygmalion/My Fair Lady. As you read please consider how would you describe Erica's character at the start of the story and how do you think she'll develop?

I look forward to the discussions this week.

@JLBDreamer since I've already finished Erica's arc, I feel like I'm cheating since I know what will happen. However, I can talk about some initial impressions of Erica. It's a good excuse to reread the Prolog and the first chapter.

Erica seems like a proud, private individual. For a kid living on the streets, she doesn't have much so one of the only things she can hold onto is her pride. I like how she's struggling and foraging at the beginning. I think this is the beginning of good character development. She also does what she can to survive, and tries to make some normalcy out of it - like she forms a routine of a certain kind. This is indicative of all of humanity. We like routines and patterns. It makes us feel normal and safe. Erica strikes me as a person who wants to find out who she is and she's in the process of developing that, but she's in a vulnerable state. I love the connections to Pygmalion and My Fair Lady. Erica shares many similarities to Eliza Doolittle. Personally, I like Pygmalion a bit more than My Fair Lady so I'm enjoying the nice balance of both in your story.

Since I know the ending, I'm putting the rest under spoilers.
    I love how you develop Erica over time, and in the beginning, it's easy to see Erica as a damaged, from her mysterious past, and vulnerable individual, but knowing how Pygmalion and My Fair Lady end, I assumed you were going to develop her in similar ways to Eliza. However, I loved the unique vampire twists, and how Erica comes into her own in your own unique way.

I'm looking forward to see what others think and have to say. Great questions, JLBDreamer.

@Eowyn, I'm tagging you because I want to make sure you know about our discussions. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @AdamsEve1231 Thank you for reading the story and it is sad, really sad. My sister actually wrote a letter (not a diary but a single thing) to the girl who was bullying her, though she never gave it to her. It inspired some of the idea behind this. Your cat sounds super cute. Is she a kitten or is she all grown up now? <3

And I have two dogs, one who is a Danish-Swedish farm dog (it makes her sound huge but she's only 18 lbs lol) And the youngest is a Rat Terrier. She's registered with the American Kennel Club and is bred to fit the standard perfectly, but I still laughed when someone asked if I was going to show her. Only if the judges wouldn't mind turning into Rat Terrier snack xD

@xJojox YES! She is the most awesomenestessses character ever. <3

Oh and as a general update, I am working myself through the stories that you all are writing. I am almost caught up on Fine Lines and will jump to the next one after.

@Eowyn That's a really neat idea about your sister. I think letter writing is a fantastic way to process emotions. I've written letters to various people who have hurt me in my life. I've also written letters to myself before and it really is cathartic.

My cat is full grown, around 5 or 6 years.

I <3 Eowyn... she is such an amazing, strong, fierce, courageous woman and role model!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @JLBDreamer - Your question.
    When i first read about Erica. Her lifestyle a troubled girl ... life on the streets i knew she was going to be trouble.
    As she developed and things improved in her life i thought she would be able to lead away from the crime.
    Getting the means to survive and getting that apartment was a first step for her really (as i saw it).

I too see it like Lizzy, she has a routine, the story has a routine. That seemed to flow well.

IN THE END::: Don't read if you havent read this story yet.
    I thought she would go to the good side (eventhough i know she has a good heart deep down) ... and love whats good for her. But she went for a true love route with Vlad. When she actually left him ... i was like oooo go get Freddy!!! lol.
    edited October 2016
    @AdamsEve1231 You know I had never even thought of using letters directed specifically to other people or myself for that purpose until I started writing my story. I am not sure where I would begin if I was writing to myself, that seems more complicated, or perhaps it wouldn't feel that way once I have pen and paper in hand. It's an interesting thought, though.

And yes! She is an awesome character and one of my top 3 favorite female characters <3 I think it's odd that the username was available to be honest.

So I hope it is okay that I am quoting you here from the other thread, but I thought this was really interesting and I wanted to see how other Simmers do this if you want to share :)
    I have to consciously take myself out of the equation sometimes and get into her head. I do that through post-it notes explosion on my walls. I start with a question and write down every possible answer on a new post-it. Then I transfer the notes over to a OneNote doc and add changes to my outlines, character bios, etc.
    I think it helps to do research sometimes... like how would this kind of person respond to grief, anger, or pain? I sometimes like to take personality tests for my characters, at least the main ones, or model things after their astrological signs. I place more emphasis on rising signs than star signs because I think they reveal more about my character. Like for example, Kass is a Sagittarius by birth (as am I), but her rising sign is Cancer. Myers-Briggs profiles can help flesh out characters too and help me formulate their thoughts, emotions, and actions.

So I have two questions that I wanted to ask you all if you don't mind sharing based on each of these quotes.

1. How do you organize your writing? This applies to both scripted stories and the game oriented ones.
    2. How do you work on your character development? For the main(s) and supporting characters.

For myself I use notepads.. Like a lot lol. In the beginning I almost only have notepads for brainstorming and they look super horrible and cluttered. I am sure they would make no sense to most. It can be anything from names, buildings, character traits, an event.. anything really. My rough outline is often included in a notepad too. Then I start transferring to word document where I put things in order, add/delete as I see fit. I usually make a lot of adjustment to this piece as I go. I keep a back-up on the Cloud.

For character development I look to people around me, either current or past. They can inspire certain story lines based on perhaps a story they shared with me, a part of their personality and sometimes it can be something I experienced in the past that I draw inspiration from. In my current story I draw inspiration from my sister as well as some things that my friends shared with me when we brought up the subject of bullying. I asked them a bunch of general questions such as 'how would you feel if...' I took a psychology class once and something it taught me to do was finding a thought such as "I feel alone" and turn it into a complex and accurate feeling, such as "When I feel alone it feels like..." and it's one of the things I do when I write. Instead of writing "This made me feel sad" I have to think about if I was my character what would this look like.. and it might be "She felt abandoned, which was her worst fear. She could feel her body trembling and tried to will it to stop, but to no use." That way I can expand it and get a feeling that not only is she feeling alone, but she might not be as will-strong as she wants to be. Suddenly I have two character traits and so on. And why would she fear this the most? I can expand on this too.
  • Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
    edited October 2016
    1. How do you organize your writing? This applies to both scripted stories and the game oriented ones.
    @Eowyn, I organize my writing by playing, seeing what happens, then take down notes on my ipod. I do game oriented and sometimes plan something and make the sims follow or push them toward that direction. Whatever I write, I make sure it happens in the game. I just like the idea of my sims having a story to tell because they've lived it :) Check out my 'Simmer Statement' video. It shows my approach to stories as well.
    2. How do you work on your character development? For the main(s) and supporting characters.
    As for character development, it depends on whether the sims were premade or created by myself. If a premade sim is in my story, I continue where their bio left off. I base 'my' sims on my traits, traits of people I've met, the type of people I would like to meet, feelings and so on...

Obviously in a word document. ive managed to keep this document safe with me since 2008. i never had a plot when it all started. i just came up with it as i came along. it was quite scattered ... but when i re wrote it i structured it in points and crossed them off as i went along.

i have an idea about my main characters and develop them by knowing how i want them to act and feel. i will ask my bf and my kids things because they are based around a guy and a teenage girl... and sometimes i just dont feel like i have the insight to a male mind. and when it comes to teens... i have two of my own to know and relate to ... to see how things play out. when im writing a scernario in my story i might ask my oldest what she would say or feel if "this happened" ... its good developing.
    edited October 2016
    @AdamsEve1231 You know I had never even thought of using letters directed specifically to other people or myself for that purpose until I started writing my story. I am not sure where I would begin if I was writing to myself, that seems more complicated, or perhaps it wouldn't feel that way once I have pen and paper in hand. It's an interesting thought, though.

And yes! She is an awesome character and one of my top 3 favorite female characters <3 I think it's odd that the username was available to be honest.

So I hope it is okay that I am quoting you here from the other thread, but I thought this was really interesting and I wanted to see how other Simmers do this if you want to share :)
    I have to consciously take myself out of the equation sometimes and get into her head. I do that through post-it notes explosion on my walls. I start with a question and write down every possible answer on a new post-it. Then I transfer the notes over to a OneNote doc and add changes to my outlines, character bios, etc.
    I think it helps to do research sometimes... like how would this kind of person respond to grief, anger, or pain? I sometimes like to take personality tests for my characters, at least the main ones, or model things after their astrological signs. I place more emphasis on rising signs than star signs because I think they reveal more about my character. Like for example, Kass is a Sagittarius by birth (as am I), but her rising sign is Cancer. Myers-Briggs profiles can help flesh out characters too and help me formulate their thoughts, emotions, and actions.

So I have two questions that I wanted to ask you all if you don't mind sharing based on each of these quotes.

For myself I use notepads.. Like a lot lol. In the beginning I almost only have notepads for brainstorming and they look super horrible and cluttered. I am sure they would make no sense to most. It can be anything from names, buildings, character traits, an event.. anything really. My rough outline is often included in a notepad too. Then I start transferring to word document where I put things in order, add/delete as I see fit. I usually make a lot of adjustment to this piece as I go. I keep a back-up on the Cloud.

For character development I look to people around me, either current or past. They can inspire certain story lines based on perhaps a story they shared with me, a part of their personality and sometimes it can be something I experienced in the past that I draw inspiration from. In my current story I draw inspiration from my sister as well as some things that my friends shared with me when we brought up the subject of bullying. I asked them a bunch of general questions such as 'how would you feel if...' I took a psychology class once and something it taught me to do was finding a thought such as "I feel alone" and turn it into a complex and accurate feeling, such as "When I feel alone it feels like..." and it's one of the things I do when I write. Instead of writing "This made me feel sad" I have to think about if I was my character what would this look like.. and it might be "She felt abandoned, which was her worst fear. She could feel her body trembling and tried to will it to stop, but to no use." That way I can expand it and get a feeling that not only is she feeling alone, but she might not be as will-strong as she wants to be. Suddenly I have two character traits and so on. And why would she fear this the most? I can expand on this too.

How do you organize your writing?

I already answered this to a point, but I'll add a little more. OneNote is my friend. I literally have pages and pages of docs filled with outlines, character notes, mods/CC info, research notes, ideas for the future, family info, timelines, etc. I like OneNote because I can access it from my phone, laptop, or desktop and it automatically backs up to my Google account.

Like I previously mentioned, I like the post-it note system I use. I scribble all sorts of random stuff all over my post-its and I literally have an entire wall in my office devoted to it.

How do you work on character development for main and supporting characters?

I have detailed backgrounds for my main characters, and lesser intense backgrounds for supporting characters. I have a personality profile I fill out for my main characters, which at this point is Kass, although I've been working on ones for Gage, Davis, and Rachel Colt (from CFT). I utilize the same form for my non Sims stories. They include a section for
    • basic info like name, nicknames, age, birthday, birthplace, hometown, etc,
    • a physical description section,
    • a background section like important family or personal history, places lived, education, work, family, and friends,
    • personality section for traits, quirks, fashion style, areas for growth, likes, dislikes, and favorites
    • a section for thoughts and beliefs
    • a section for how the character processes info, dreams, goals, motivations, passions, desires, drives, needs, fears, decision making, and leadership
    • a section for romance, dating, and s.exuality

It's pretty in depth so I only do this with a main character (like Kass) or in my more developed novel I'm working on. I can't remember where I got the original idea for it, and I'm pretty sure I've modified the idea from another writer, and I really wish I could remember who so I could credit them. This detailed profile helps me to develop my character and create scenarios and situations to help the character grow and for the reader to get to know him/her and also to know how my character might react and respond to certain things.

Opps... posted before done... When you go in depth in writing, I think it's really important to have back-ups of the data. It sucks to lose all that hard work. I also like the idea of handwriting notes in a notebook. Writing by hand takes longer, but it also sticks with me more.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited October 2016
    It’s super interesting to see how other writers are organizing their writing, and how you all process things. I think often it depends on whether or not people script their stories or not, but also how organized a person in general is. I am terrible unorganized myself, so even though I am writing a detailed script right now, my notes are ALL over the place and even the ‘main’ document looks kinda whacky.

@Simcraft81 It sounds like we draw inspiration for character traits/personality in a very similar way. I never thought of looking to the types of people I would like to meet, rather than have met. That is interesting to me. I’ll look up your video!

@xJojox I think you are very smart in using the resources that you have right there at your fingertips – and I also think it’s awesome that you can have those conversations with your kids. In some way, it also allows you a sneak peek into your daughter minds when she says how she would feel or think about certain things. ;) And 2008!! Oh wow.. I don’t think I have a single notepad from then lol

@AdamsEve1231 I don’t know why but OneNote makes me think of high techy, super advanced scary software to navigate lol. I use the cloud for a lot of things, but I can’t edit anything directly in it and it’s kind of awkward to try to read it on my IPhone. You are SO correct about making sure to keep backups of things when you do in-depth writing. I just realized that I haven’t dropped my main script for “Dear Bully” into the Cloud yet… zomg. I better do it asap. I really, really like doing a profile like you are doing. Do you mind if I use the idea? It will only be for internal use and in my word document. :)

Oh and @AdamsEve1231 I hope it's okay that I pulled this discussion into the circle. I know it's not directly related to the Simlit stories that we write, but I figure since it is regarding writing in general, it would be fine!