Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has The Sims 4: City Living Encourage You To The Sims 2: Apartment Life?

This has been the worst pre-release Sim days in the history of The Sims in my personal experience. Even when my story telling gameplay using the memory system was butchered to a huge mess in the December 2015 I still played the game hoping things would change. And forgave EA entirely when they released the best gender breaking patch ever to be released which won my faith in the series back only to be pushed back down when not only am I told I can't build my own apartments, I can't even move them to another world, with the news getting worst with elevators only a part of the apartment shell and not part of the build mode catalog, and roommates are simply people that aren't related to you instead of being NPC's that live with you but are not controllable. My heart broke so fast it's like I took my own heart out to put on the track before an INDY 500 race and encouraged a driver to "Drive here drive here!".

My point is it was the lack of features that should have been in the game due to common sense that help me bring me back to a time where "apartment life mattered". So I'm now living with a brand new Sim named "Doggie Treats" with his dog named "Fruit-Bowl Treats" in a trailer park where I can live how I want with him wanting to run his own pet store. But my thing is shouldn't a new expansion pack keep me in The Sims 4 rather then go back to an earlier game that had full gameplay towards it's theme and no limitations (for it's time anyway)...I don't know but the thoughts of limitations made over nearly a year of development time is truly making me believe The Sims 4 is the end of the franchise and it's heartbreaking. So thoughts...did the bad news make you want to go back to The Sims 2: Apartment Life or will you remain faithful to City Living?

TS4_CL_BOXART.jpg

big.jpg

Comments

• Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    yes,
    when i think back now, after TS3 didn't deliver apartments, hotels, restaurants & retail really functioning & after TS4 delivers them just half baked i am missing OFB & AL very much :confused:

i would be playing TS2 if there wouldn't be its CAS
    TS2 CAS is causing me what TS3's build mode is causing - i am cursing when i have to use it, every time
    but since i am usually spending waaaay more time in CAS than in build mode so i don't play TS2 but prefer TS3

currently none of the sims game is really "my game", every of them contains gamebreaking things
    at the moment after CLs apartment desaster i am trying to calm myself with TSMedieval, it helps a little

TS4 is so disappointing
    it could have been so great & is so disappointing :confounded:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i disagree with evrything in this thread sims4 is not disapoiting i much prefer sims4 than outdated sims2
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • XoxNicolexoXXoxNicolexoX Posts: 119 Member
    Yeah same, I've been playing sims 2. I would play sims 4 when a new pack came out for like a week, then back to sims 2. I'm not getting City Living so I'm just going to enjoy everything the predecessors have to offer.
    rsz_simsgurunicole.png
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Yeah same, I've been playing sims 2. I would play sims 4 when a new pack came out for like a week, then back to sims 2. I'm not getting City Living so I'm just going to enjoy everything the predecessors have to offer.

Same here! Can't wait to run my own pet store. This is something I never done yet so it's new gameplay for me! :)
  • BraãoBraão Posts: 10 New Member
    Totally yeah
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited September 2016
    I have always loved Sims 2, so no encouragement needed. :smile: However, I rarely used Apartments. (I only got that EP because of the toddlers hugging each other, lol.)

Now, if you ask me if Sims 4 is starting making me go back towards Sims 3, then I would answer yes...

ETA: However, I'm willing to give City Living a chance, since I'm not a builder, and there are other features I am interested in seeing more details about.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    No, because in The Sims 2 you couldn't go out of your apartment and attend a festival down the street, you couldn't give traits to lots which make a lot of interesting stories possible, and even the other features of The Sims 4 like Clubs.

The Sims 4 ins't "better" than The Sims 2, but it has things that The Sims 2 doesn't, the CAS alone always prevents me from deleting the game.
    I like this direction, they aren't trying to remake The Sims 2, because The Sims 2 already exists and aged quite well actually, the graphics aren't awful for a 2004 game, they are trying to make The Sims 4 different.

I wouldn't go back to The Sims 3 either, but more because I've played it so much for so long ever since it was released that I don't want to back to play the same old things again.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    Mostly I'm disappointed that the roommates are not NPCs, because I prefer when things are unexpected and having too much control over everything makes it feel like I'm playing with dolls alone, which is never fun.

However, I will still buy the pack because of the features it brings that I adore the sound of, I don't need to list them as they already have been mentioned.

I'm glad that you are able to, but I can't get back into the Sims 2, because I miss all of the features such as semi/open world and CAS from the Sims 4, although it is heavenly to walk around in the Sims 2 rain - so that's what I do when ever I do open the game (Instead of actually playing it)
  • peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    It is sad how much the sims 4 limits things, especially after a whole year or working on this expansion. I love the sims 4 for what it is, (although the sims 2 is definitely my favorite), but I also realize its flaws.

This was the sims 4 chance to give players something that they really wanted (apartments), yet they have botched it up, by limiting apartments, one of the main features.

Builders don't get the option to build apartments (or even build shells in other worlds), which is super sad. In the sims 2 it was easy to build apartments, you just needed to make rooms, use a certain door, and then change the lot to apartment with a cheat. This could easily be done in the sims 4, while still keeping the shell apartments as well. To minimize lag, you could black out the rooms of the other apartment complexes, so the sims inside don't have to be simulated unless your sims visits them or they come outside to the common area (or to visit your apartment).

For people who enjoy gameplay, apartments are a step up from the sims 3, but there is still a lot of limitation (or unanswered questions) that cause distress and worry people. I like how your sim now has neighbors again, and that they seem to be more active (hopefully) in that they utilize the common area and occasionally visit your sims apartment complex. However, this would have been a great time to add npc roommates that you don't control who help pay the rent. Furthermore, while I understand that you have loading screens between apartment complexes we still haven't got a clear answer on whether you can put multiple families (that you have created) in a single apartment building (but in different apartment complexes) and choose to play a different family each time (like in the sims 2... again).

I know that apartments aren't the only feature of this pack, but if it is suppose to be as big a feature as I think it is, then the sims team should really delay the pack and add some features (like they did with get together). Get together looked pretty bad, but the sims team made some great improvements by delaying it (club hangout spots, at least 3 new interactive objects, [darts, diving board, don't wake llama] and made it into a pack which I really enjoy.

Again I still like the sims 4, but it is sad how they are not appealing to a wider audience especially when making expansion packs. I know that these packs were suppose to enhance the sims 4 game as a whole, but that doesn't mean that the features they include should be less in detail than a game pack especially when they cost $40. I think that two game packs is a much better value than the expansion packs especially because these packs seem to have quality to them. I think when the sims team focuses on a single aspect/theme (or a few themes), then they can really craft something great (like they did with the dine out game pack).
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    This has been the worst pre-release Sim days in the history of The Sims in my personal experience. Even when my story telling gameplay using the memory system was butchered to a huge mess in the December 2015 I still played the game hoping things would change. And forgave EA entirely when they released the best gender breaking patch ever to be released which won my faith in the series back only to be pushed back down when not only am I told I can't build my own apartments, I can't even move them to another world, with the news getting worst with elevators only a part of the apartment shell and not part of the build mode catalog, and roommates are simply people that aren't related to you instead of being NPC's that live with you but are not controllable. My heart broke so fast it's like I took my own heart out to put on the track before an INDY 500 race and encouraged a driver to "Drive here drive here!".

My point is it was the lack of features that should have been in the game due to common sense that help me bring me back to a time where "apartment life mattered". So I'm now living with a brand new Sim named "Doggie Treats" with his dog named "Fruit-Bowl Treats" in a trailer park where I can live how I want with him wanting to run his own pet store. But my thing is shouldn't a new expansion pack keep me in The Sims 4 rather then go back to an earlier game that had full gameplay towards it's theme and no limitations (for it's time anyway)...I don't know but the thoughts of limitations made over nearly a year of development time is truly making me believe The Sims 4 is the end of the franchise and it's heartbreaking. So thoughts...did the bad news make you want to go back to The Sims 2: Apartment Life or will you remain faithful to City Living?

TS4_CL_BOXART.jpg

big.jpg

Go back, no, because I never stopped playing the Sims 2, or the Sims 3. I will still get City Life, as I haven't seen enough that I don't like to prevent it. I do enjoy the Sims 4, even if it isn't my favorite in the franchise.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    I love the Sims 2 but I can't go back to it. The fact that universal aging is missing from it makes it completely unplayable for me now which sucks because it is my favorite Sims game.
  • midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    I've been playing TS2 for 3wks now, love the apartments and my darling little toddlers and I love building my own apartments too :blush:
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Nope. Now, I loved the Sims 2 and have MANY great memories of it and look back on it fondly-- but I will never go back to playing it. Sims 3 disappointed me at first but eventually became my favourite for a number of reasons. I never used apartments in any version of the sims but am very much interested in them in Sims 4. So no, for me it's not making me go back, it's making me look forward to new EPs with greater anticipation
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I love the sims 2. So no "going back" I still play it daily, including apartments.

I plan to play both when City Living comes out. I have the best of both worlds.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited September 2016
    I love the Sims 2 but I can't go back to it. The fact that universal aging is missing from it makes it completely unplayable for me now which plum because it is my favorite Sims game.

The aging isn't perfect, but if you play rotationally (say a week/uni year or season/uni semester in each house), and age up townie friends when your sims have birthdays, then most sims age together.
  • Sanriel85Sanriel85 Posts: 362 Member
    S2 its still magic, S4 on the other hand for ea its only money and you cant create that magic with your dirty money ea.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I love the Sims 2 but I can't go back to it. The fact that universal aging is missing from it makes it completely unplayable for me now which plum because it is my favorite Sims game.

The aging isn't perfect, but if you play rotationally (say a week/uni year or season/uni semester in each house), and age up townie friends when your sims have birthdays, then most sims age together.

That's still too much work to me. I hate rotational gameplay, but thanks for the suggestion.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I have already played TS2 apartment life and although I liked how it worked, I'm ready to try something new. TS4 has worse issues than this in my opinion (specially for rotational play) and those could make me go back some day.
  • AnnitaEatsYaAnnitaEatsYa Posts: 1,583 Member
    I keep playing TS2, but there's so much in that game I still haven't done and one of them is to have a roommate in an apartment. So as it seems there won't be non-playable roomies in CL, yes, I am actually inspired to create a new family and maybe have a single sim move into a really expensive apartment that they need a roommate to afford! I'm still looking forward to hearing more about CL though.
  • Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    I play sims 2 right along with sims 4. I think it's fine to still be playing older editions.I have personally liked all the sims games, even sims midevil. In my opinion all of them had room for improvement. Now the one least liked was sims 3 and my favorite was sims 1 Makin' Magic which sadly stopped working long time ago. I have actually never been an apartment fan though, only bought it in sims 2 for the special life state. I never played the apartment part and I probably won't in City Life if I get it.

I am sorry you do not like City Life because of the way apartments was handled in this version of the sims. We all have different play styles, and different opinions. Just kind of the way it goes sometimes. I hear all the time how much people loved sims 3's open world, when it was something I disliked lol.
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Yeah I just went back into The Sims 2 and although my new Sim "Pickle Sandwich" is at Sim State University he lives in Belladonna Cove and will be moving into an apartment after he graduates and the best part is you don't need a loading screen to visit the neighbors!