Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ummmmmmmmm.... even the sims 2 had no loading screen between apartments???

Comments

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,191 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    But in TS2 the only thing that was loaded and simulated was the apartments and yard.

In City Living you have all the neighbourhood public space loaded and simulated too.

Some people play on toasters.

But the thing is when you visit your neighbors on the same lot .You did not get a loading screen. Sure you didn't see the apartment until you visit .But still no loading screen.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited September 2016
    The thing that bothers me most about loading screens, and I will keep bringing it up, is that you can't have your off-lot sims do anything meaningful.

If you want your kids to do homework, your novelist to write a novel, your rocket scientist to keep building, etc. etc. etc. you have to be on the same lot. These things are boring to watch, and it makes more sense if your spouse, say, wants to do something like write their book, that you go out and do other things. Even if you couldn't reset what they were doing when done, at least letting them continue would make me feel I could leave those sims alone and still do fun things with other sims in the household.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    This i'm not actually bothered about. The loading screens only take 15 seconds if that. I can see why people would be annoyed by it tho!

I think it is not so much how long the loading screens are but the fact that they are there in the first place.

You cannot micro manage with the closed workd set up like TS3 and although there are some advantages of a closed set up, some Simmers even prefer it, it does seem to defeat the purpose of a funny active workd as everything feels like it is set up rather than flowing naturally as was the case in TS3.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited September 2016
    Felicity wrote: »
    The thing that bothers me most about loading screens, and I will keep bringing it up, is that you can't have your off-lot sims do anything meaningful.

If you want your kids to do homework, your novelist to write a novel, your rocket scientist to keep building, etc. etc. etc. you have to be on the same lot. These things are boring to watch, and it makes more sense if your spouse, say, wants to do something like write their book, that you go out and do other things. Even if you couldn't reset what they were doing when done, at least letting them continue would make me feel I could leave those sims alone and still do fun things with other sims in the household.

I agree 100%. I also miss then Community Time mod for Ts2. It worked great. Eg your sim A goes to a community lot at 10 AM and their spouse (Sim B ) stays at home. You do whatever you want in the community lot and head back home at 3PM. When the home lot loads it's 10 AM again. Sim A is shown as "away" (pretty much as if they were working off lot). You play with Sim B and do whatever you want (fix lunch, call your lover etc). At 3PM, Sim A will return.
  • Options
    NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    QDog wrote: »
    I agree 100%. I also miss then Community Time mod for Ts2. It worked great. Eg your sim A goes to a community lot at 10 AM and their spouse (Sim B ) stays at home. You do whatever you want in the community lot and head back home at 3PM. When the home lot loads it's 10 AM again. Sim A is shown as "away" (pretty much as if they were working off lot). You play with Sim B and do whatever you want (fix lunch, call your lover etc). At 3PM, Sim A will return.

I never got to use that mod because it was never updated for Apartment Life. :disappointed:
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    NikNak wrote: »

I never got to use that mod because it was never updated for Apartment Life. :disappointed:

I have the Ultimate Collection and the mod works just fine :)
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member

This is why TS4 has mostly made me play as a single sim. Tried family stuff, but then I just found myself never leaving the house because sims at home do nothing meaningful. Even more annoying is how needs are automatically filled, so if my sim gets home at 2AM everyone else is wide awoke and then tired by school/work time.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member

Are you sure? I've read that when you live in apartments, it doesn't work properly.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited September 2016

So go somewhere the family can all do something. Computers work on almost any lot type (offices for managers etc). Kids can do homework anywhere as long as they have it with them. E.G. If you had a science museum with buildable/launchable rockets, a computer (either lab or office) and a kid's spaceship jungle gym you could sent your family there and occupy them all.

Another E.G. If Dad wants a drink with friends at the Blue Velvet, the kid can play on the neighbourhood jungle gym and Mum can collect or fish (if she doesn't want to join Dad).

Don't forget off lot activities are usually available when you plan your outings.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member

So go somewhere the family can all do something. Computers work on any lot type (offices for managers etc). Kids can do homework anywhere as long as they have it with them. E.G. If you had a science museum with buildable/launchable rockets, a computer (either lab or office) and a kid's spaceship jungle gym you could sent your family there and occupy them all.

Another E.G. If Dad wants a drink with friends at the Blue Velvet, the kid can play on the neighbourhood jungle gym and Mum can collect or fish (if she doesn't want to join Dad).

Don't forget off lot activities are usually available when you plan your outings.
    But sometimes I personally just don't feel like bringing everyone out and keeping them occupied. I'd like just one sim or two to enjoy their night while the others do something at least a little productive. Expanding the options available when you click an off-lot sim would be a big help.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    TS2 sims that lived in other apartments waited by their doors until you came a knocking if they weren't outside. Same with sims in dorms in University. I'm not saying to not get up in arms, but I think what everyone is really expecting is sims acting like TS3 sims in their apartments while playing TS4, not acting like TS2 sims. Cause really there isn't much of a difference between a loading screen and a NPC zombie waiting at the door for you to notice them senpai.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    SimsTiasSimsTias Posts: 1,622 Member
    TS2 sims that lived in other apartments waited by their doors until you came a knocking if they weren't outside. Same with sims in dorms in University. I'm not saying to not get up in arms, but I think what everyone is really expecting is sims acting like TS3 sims in their apartments while playing TS4, not acting like TS2 sims. Cause really there isn't much of a difference between a loading screen and a NPC zombie waiting at the door for you to notice them senpai.

there is one big difference - immersion.
    There's no immersion in loading screens.
    Save the Sims Franchise!
    Owner of Simstias.blogspot.se
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    SimsTias wrote: »

Well said :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    MinecraftdSimmerMinecraftdSimmer Posts: 561 Member
    But in TS2 the only thing that was loaded and simulated was the apartments and yard.

In City Living you have all the neighbourhood public space loaded and simulated too.

Some people play on toasters.

Yes, some people do play on toasters. But some of us actually work our butts off and take our own time in order to get something other than a toaster. And to have people who have these toasters hold us back from having a game where something as simple as no loading screens is not possible, its ridiculous!
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    I don't know. I will admit that I am sad loading screens exist between apartments, but what can you do? I think the features they've added sound amazing so far, and if the festivals are consistently populated and thriving with tourists while I'm home, I will gladly take that over being able to visit neighbours without loading screens.

As they've always said, game design is a trade off. You aren't going to get everything you want because things just won't be able to work with the foundation you've laid. I genuinely believe Gurus are doing an amazing job working around obstacles and including unique features.

I do remember loving S2 apartments and the fact that you could visit neighbours without a loading screen, but the backdrop just blew it for me. I couldn't get immersed into the game when I loaded it up again months ago after years of not playing it. The graphics were just brutal compared to S4. To me, while S4 is limited in certain areas, it feels way more immersive and real world like than any other previous game to me. Although S3 came close, the lag just kills it for me.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I'm actually pretty pleased with how I see my sim living in an apartment. I can basically play for ages without encountering a loading screen at all due to the festival lot being all open from my sims apartment.

I can have a quick chat in the hallway on my way out, build up a friendship and fill the social need. Next head outside and eat at the food stall. Maybe shoot some hoops, paint some street art, grab dinner then head back to my apartment for whatever I want to do next.

I am looking forward to not having to encounter as many loading screens in a typical sim day.

Obvs I'll encounter a loading screen to visit my neighbors but I can just give them a key so they will come to my sims place instead, again no loading screen.

I'll still hit a loading screen to go to the gym or w.e but thats just standard game play in TS4, loading screens are a thing.

Maybe I'm missing the point, idk, but I'm ok with it.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    I'm actually pretty pleased with how I see my sim living in an apartment. I can basically play for ages without encountering a loading screen at all due to the festival lot being all open from my sims apartment.

I can have a quick chat in the hallway on my way out, build up a friendship and fill the social need. Next head outside and eat at the food stall. Maybe shoot some hoops, paint some street art, grab dinner then head back to my apartment for whatever I want to do next.

I am looking forward to not having to encounter as many loading screens in a typical sim day.

Obvs I'll encounter a loading screen to visit my neighbors but I can just give them a key so they will come to my sims place instead, again no loading screen.

I'll still hit a loading screen to go to the gym or w.e but thats just standard game play in TS4, loading screens are a thing.

Maybe I'm missing the point, idk, but I'm ok with it.

Also, if you get invited to a friend's house or venue in another neighbourhood, there will be loads of stuff to do there too before encountering another loading screen on the way home.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Y'all are complaining about this like you haven't played TS4 enough to know there's loading screens everywhere before you load to a new 'lot'/space. LOL. Get over it.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    I played Sims 2 apartments and it was the first game to lag in Sims 2. Lag kills any kind of enjoyment with games for me so if they stop a game from lagging I don't mind since it'll give me 3 seconds to check the time on my phone.
  • Options
    hafizchanhafizchan Posts: 232 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    That's it, the neighbours can visit me then

oh my god! your level of sass just made my day!!!!! :D:D
    Happiness!
    j9pm6g.gif
  • Options
    NikNak wrote: »

Are you sure? I've read that when you live in apartments, it doesn't work properly.

off topic but omg blackpink
    Happiness!
    j9pm6g.gif
  • Options
    Polyrhythm wrote: »

This is why TS4 has mostly made me play as a single sim. Tried family stuff, but then I just found myself never leaving the house because sims at home do nothing meaningful. Even more annoying is how needs are automatically filled, so if my sim gets home at 2AM everyone else is wide awoke and then tired by school/work time.

EXACTLY THIS. Quite honestly. I have a household of 4 sims but only control and play one because of the loading screens. I pretend the other four function like "roommates" and they just do whatever they want.

Indeed I do miss TS3 days where your sims can be all over town and it just took one click to change to each sim. But yeah lets face it thats never going to happen in TS4
    Happiness!
    j9pm6g.gif
  • Options
    sforzindasforzinda Posts: 52 Member
    Finally a game that reflects the internal struggle I have while leaving the flat I live in because I have severe social anxiety and have to prepare myself mentally even while going to the grocery store by replaying every possible scenario in my head.

I don't know about you guys but I personally identify with the loading screens now.

(I wrote this comment as a joke but holy cow, I am the new EP.)
  • Options
    lovejess2 wrote: »
    I played Sims 2 apartments and it was the first game to lag in Sims 2. Lag kills any kind of enjoyment with games for me so if they stop a game from lagging I don't mind since it'll give me 3 seconds to check the time on my phone.

I love TS2 but Apartment Life was utterly unplayable for me, even though I adored it to the bits. Any lot I loaded in Belladona Cove (was that what the world was called? I can't check as my mobile, for some weird reason, refuses to open a new tab whenever I am writing a comment on the forums) crashed within 2 seconds, I only could play apartments without excessive lag or crashing on small lots that I built on empty terrains.

So, yes. Give me loading screens. Give me all of them. Waiting for fifteen seconds for a game is not the end of the world for me. (I survived TS3's loading times on a Mac, bah!)
  • Options
    SimsTias wrote: »

Literally all the Bethesda RPGs would like to have a word with that statement re: loading screens =! immersion.