Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's talk about the flawed emotion system

JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
edited September 2016 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I have a problem with this game's emotional system on treating sims emotion with it's flawed rating/grading mood. How in the H? can a Sim become happy (any positive emotion) in a decorated room with max motive when their love ones are gone in a day? and they are not very sentimental when they see their love ones grave. It just doesn't really make sense at all, when their emotion keeps changing back as positive to negative; vice versa. I find it extremely awkward to see my sims becoming happy in a moment when they lose a fight when they have the Self-Assured/Hot-Headed trait. How are they even smart sims, when they can't even control their emotion correctly? seriously you get depressed in a wedding while it's a happy moment in life. not only that a child sim can become "uncomfortable" when there's a monster in their bed, why isn't there a Fear/scared emotion when it's suitable?

The emotional system is a let down and has a very flawed scoring system that outweigh's certain emotion in favor for another one, with a grading system that overwhelm the mood of a sim.

I suggest that certain events that ties with the emotions must be made permanent until time passes. what do you think? Should the developers take a look at the emotions and add in a another crucial emotion (Scared)?
39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

Post edited by JasonRMJ on

Comments

• HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited September 2016
    Well, first: If you are scared you feel uncomfortable. The word uncomfortable is just not as specific as you would expect it to be (you are right on that matter). Maybe they will add more emotions with new eps. We will see.

However, what you encounter in your game is a consequence of the emotion-system being very flexible and convenient in its outcome. Some simmers won't like it and I can totally understand that because if you don't use it appropriately it can be rather irritating and messed up sometimes. But I, personally have learned to work with 'emotions' and know about the potential for story telling the game provides with them.

For example, you plan a wedding and want everybody to become happy - no problem, after all the game gives you the tools to achieve it + you have several possibilities: Whether you decorate nicely, cook certain meals or trigger special interactions with certain sims it's all your choice.

Another example: you are at a get together with a group of sims and you want to make them fight/angry at each other. You can do the same. Always, at any time. You have control over the outcome of any conversation or action if you wish, even if your sims are not involved.

---

Just for the record. The Sims 3 had a similar problem where sims sometimes didn't behave accordingly to their actions they had performed prior:

https://youtu.be/IL1X26I_83s?t=471

"Trips is very angry with Grace." --> Yet he still decides to kiss her autonomously.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• foxx_fennecfoxx_fennec Posts: 761 Member
    I don't agree that any emotions should be made permanent for a given amount of time. That isn't realistic, either. Even in real life, it's possible for people to be happy even in the worst of times. I do agree that TS4 could handle the emotional effects of such events better, though. I think the moodlets from any major bad event (death of a loved one, breaking up, being cheated on, etc.) should be stronger and have their effects fade gradually. Big negative moodlets like the +5 Sad moodlet that comes from the death of a loved one can be overcome without too much trouble; then they're gone and everything's fine again.

To make it more realistic, the response to a Sim losing someone close to them should be something more like this:
    +10 Sad moodlet for 2 days. They're going to be pretty sad while they're mourning, and it's going to take a lot of positive moodlets to pull them out of that before some time has passed.
    +5 Sad moodlet for 24h after the first moodlet. The pain of grief is still strong, but it is healing.
    +2 Sad moodlet for 24h after the second moodlet. They're adjusting okay to life without the one they've lost, and their baseline emotional state is returning to normal.

Another touch of realism could be added by allowing a Sim to have a keepsake from someone they've lost, which would give them the option to reminisce and have a chance of giving either a +1 Happy moodlet (from fond memories) or a +1 Sad moodlet (from missing them) for a few hours.

I think other major events should have a larger initial impact and a "tapering-off" effect like this as well. I just chose having someone die as an example because that's probably the most devastating thing that can happen to a Sim.
    Origin ID: foxx-fennec
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,614 Member
    JasonRMJ wrote: »
    I have a problem with this game's emotional system on treating sims emotion with it's flawed rating/grading mood. How in the H? can a Sim become happy (any positive emotion) in a decorated room with max motive when their love ones are gone in a day? and they are not very sentimental when they see their love ones grave. It just doesn't really make sense at all, when their emotion keeps changing back as positive to negative; vice versa. I find it extremely awkward to see my sims becoming happy in a moment when they lose a fight when they have the Self-Assured/Hot-Headed trait. How are they even smart sims, when they can't even control their emotion correctly? seriously you get depressed in a wedding while it's a happy moment in life. not only that a child sim can become "uncomfortable" when there's a monster in their bed, why isn't there a Fear/scared emotion when it's suitable?

The emotional system is a let down and has a very flawed scoring system that outweigh's certain emotion in favor for another one, with a grading system that overwhelm the mood of a sim.

I suggest that certain events that ties with the emotions must be made permanent until time passes. what do you think? Should the developers take a look at the emotions and add in a another crucial emotion (Scared)?

Yep! The Emotion Systems is very flawed. It conflicts with the traits and moodlets. I hate the Emotions system. I really do. I think it's overrated.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • EloquentMyDearEloquentMyDear Posts: 54 Member
    Please remove "(PSYCHOSIS/MANIA AND DEMENTIA/BIPOLAR)" from the title. It's very misleading and bordering on offensive. Psychosis, mania and bipolar are serious mental illnesses/symptoms of mental illnesses and have nothing to do with this game. Dementia is a serious illness that has nothing to do with this game.
    Other than that, I agree that the emotions system is totally wonky.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2016
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Well, first: If you are scared you feel uncomfortable. The word uncomfortable is just not as specific as you would expect it to be (you are right on that matter). Maybe they will add more emotions with new eps. We will see.

However, what you encounter in your game is a consequence of the emotion-system being very flexible and convenient in its outcome. Some simmers won't like it and I can totally understand that because if you don't use it appropriately it can be rather irritating and messed up sometimes. But I, personally have learned to work with 'emotions' and know about the potential for story telling the game provides with them.

For example, you plan a wedding and want everybody to become happy - no problem, after all the game gives you the tools to achieve it + you have several possibilities: Whether you decorate nicely, cook certain meals or trigger special interactions with certain sims it's all your choice.

Another example: you are at a get together with a group of sims and you want to make them fight/angry at each other. You can do the same. Always, at any time. You have control over the outcome of any conversation or action if you wish, even if your sims are not involved.

---

Just for the record. The Sims 3 had a similar problem where sims sometimes didn't behave accordingly to their actions they had performed prior:

https://youtu.be/IL1X26I_83s?t=471

"Trips is very angry with Grace." --> Yet he still decides to kiss her autonomously.
    I don't consider what you describe using emotions 'appropriately' at all, decorating rooms and cooking meals. And I in fact love that video you're sharing there. As I understand it the female is evil? I never had this happening in my game, when they're angry it's always hard to make them be friendly with each other again. I never play evil sims though. What I'm seeing there is sims reacting to each other, not decoration or meals or hot showers or their own emotions. Even though it may seem inconsistent (they're fighting and then suddenly he kisses her), it's emotions based on what the other sim does. It's exactly this kind of unexpected behaviour in the game that leads me in unexpected directions and makes the game unpredictable, surprising, challenging.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited September 2016
    All I said was: Emotions are a tool to manipulate/control your context/environment. We have full control over the actions of played and unplayed sims due to the power of emotions. Do you want to have a woohoo-party? Easy: just make them very flirty. etc.

You have so many ways to achieve a certain emotional state. If you want to do it through conversations, go for it.
    Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    edited September 2016
    Please remove "(PSYCHOSIS/MANIA AND DEMENTIA/BIPOLAR)" from the title. It's very misleading and bordering on offensive. Psychosis, mania and bipolar are serious mental illnesses/symptoms of mental illnesses and have nothing to do with this game. Dementia is a serious illness that has nothing to do with this game.

because the emotion system mimics the mental illnesses...for example your sims is sad because someone they loved one has passed and then becomes happy in the next day a few hours later they become sad back....sooo yeah
    Post edited by JasonRMJ on

edited September 2016

because the emotion system mimics the mental illnesses...for example your sims is sad because someone they loved one has passed and then becomes happy in the next day a few hours ater they become sad back....sooo yeah

Sounds like real life to me --> 'sadness attacks' (sorry, don't know the proper english term for that). Many people experience it when something bad happens. Does not mean they are 100% of the time sad.

Edit: And btw. this is also how 'emotions' work in TS3. I always thought it was pretty accurate.

to be honest, I never had any problems with TS3's emotion...when in mourning their moods drops to a low...
    but for TS4 it's very profound to see their biological emotion change and change without any gradual healing...

I don't agree that any emotions should be made permanent for a given amount of time. That isn't realistic, either. Even in real life, it's possible for people to be happy even in the worst of times. I do agree that TS4 could handle the emotional effects of such events better, though. I think the moodlets from any major bad event (death of a loved one, breaking up, being cheated on, etc.) should be stronger and have their effects fade gradually. Big negative moodlets like the +5 Sad moodlet that comes from the death of a loved one can be overcome without too much trouble; then they're gone and everything's fine again.

To make it more realistic, the response to a Sim losing someone close to them should be something more like this:
    +10 Sad moodlet for 2 days. They're going to be pretty sad while they're mourning, and it's going to take a lot of positive moodlets to pull them out of that before some time has passed.
    +5 Sad moodlet for 24h after the first moodlet. The pain of grief is still strong, but it is healing.
    +2 Sad moodlet for 24h after the second moodlet. They're adjusting okay to life without the one they've lost, and their baseline emotional state is returning to normal.

Another touch of realism could be added by allowing a Sim to have a keepsake from someone they've lost, which would give them the option to reminisce and have a chance of giving either a +1 Happy moodlet (from fond memories) or a +1 Sad moodlet (from missing them) for a few hours.

I think other major events should have a larger initial impact and a "tapering-off" effect like this as well. I just chose having someone die as an example because that's probably the most devastating thing that can happen to a Sim.

Yes I was talking about the moodlets that ties in with the emotion and will gradually heal by itself....
    this is what I wanted....

edited September 2016
    All I said was: Emotions are a tool to manipulate/control your context/environment. We have full control over the actions of played and unplayed sims due to the power of emotions. Do you want to have a woohoo-party? Easy: just make them very flirty. etc.

You have so many ways to achieve a certain emotional state. If you want to do it through conversations, go for it.
    I think the reason people are complaining about the emotions in this game is exactly what you're describing. You may like that, but a lot of people don't (I for instance don't). So yes, I know it works like this in the game, but that in fact is the issue for many simmers. The issue being: the system is depriving the sims of a personality.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    edited September 2016
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

kimjo313 wrote: »

Did you even read this topic? I guess not.

Yes/ Page 6 is very revealing.

Its wonderful you are pleased with the game and in YOUR opinion its great. That is your opinion. Not everyone agrees. Am I not allowed to voice my opinion with out snarky replies? This is the second topic tonight. Is your opinion the only one allowed. Why are your reposes always personal?

kim :/

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

edited September 2016
    kimjo313 wrote: »

Yes/ Page 6 is very revealing.

Its wonderful you are pleased with the game and in YOUR opinion its great. That is your opinion. Not everyone agrees. Am I not allowed to voice my opinion with out snarky replies? This is the second topic tonight. Is your opinion the only one allowed. Why are your reposes always personal?

kim :/

Heh? Since I quoted you of course my answer is kind of personal O.o .

To answer your question: Yes, you are allowed to 'voice your opinion'. However, I just wished you would have considered our discussion on this topic.

edited September 2016
    Not casual, the post I referred to on page 6 would show pretty much why I posted here. Sorry if disagreeing means I am ranting.

Have a Lovely evening.

kim
    Abraham Lincoln

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »

Yep! The Emotion Systems is very flawed. It conflicts with the traits and moodlets. I hate the Emotions system. I really do. I think it's overrated.

I wish they would try to make it a bit more fun to play around with in a future patch. As of now, years later with packs which have absolutely no relevance to emotions, it just seems like they aren't paying much attention to it anymore. Maybe they are, and it's just so minimal that I haven't noticed, such as small moodlet effects.

I think it could definitely be revised into a system that is more fun and engaging to experiment with.
  • Pmike16Pmike16 Posts: 37 Member
    Agreed. Emotions is one of the most celebrated "additions", and even that they can't implement well. But hey, at least CAS is tactile and intuitive.
  • florathornsflorathorns Posts: 41 Member
    I take really good care of my sims and they always stay happy. Having just your needs met shouldnt boost emotions. Thats my one problem with the whole emotion thing.
    ztmv1whwwkmxf9ta8sxm1dsbofm6vknaw8ux35dkmz8s6rj75aar0unludlcqxm8.jpg

♡ Team Aja ♡
    Pmike16 wrote: »
    Agreed. Emotions is one of the most celebrated "additions", and even that they can't implement well. But hey, at least CAS is tactile and intuitive.

The most celebrated, but extremely ignored...

• MistyDoveMistyDove Posts: 695 Member
    I wish the emotions were better implemented as well. Sims are happy all the time, my gloomy sim never gets sad cuz the paintings in her house look so nice.

Also OP can you change the topic of this thread, it's not a good idea to claim that a serious mental illness like bipolar is similar to how sims switch emotions constantly. Bipolar Disorder is NOT just switching between happy and sad emotions there is so much more to it than that, it causes a lot of distress to so many people every year in their life and by assuming it's just switching between happy and sad overly simplifies all the other effects and pain those who do have the disorder suffer through. Also psychosis and dementia don't really relate to the sims emotion system at all. Maybe the thread could just be "Let's talk about the flawed emotion system"? It's shorter and gets your point across, no need to include mental illnesses to prove your point that the emotion system is flawed and terrible.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Goodywood wrote: »

I wish they would try to make it a bit more fun to play around with in a future patch. As of now, years later with packs which have absolutely no relevance to emotions, it just seems like they aren't paying much attention to it anymore. Maybe they are, and it's just so minimal that I haven't noticed, such as small moodlet effects.

I think it could definitely be revised into a system that is more fun and engaging to experiment with.
    That's a very sharp observation and for me an eye opener even! Considering how much the emotions in the game were presented as the new and most essential feature, it has been totally neglected ever since. Nothing new is added as far as I know, no new gameplay surrounding them.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited September 2016

It - the eomotion system - works well and therefore as intended. Don't see a problem here.

edited September 2016

It - the eomotion system - works well and therefore as intended. Don't see a problem here.
    They implemented the vampires in Sims 3 as intended, meaning that they planned townies to turn into ones autonomously. I don't think many simmers thought they implemented them 'well' that way though, it got irritating quite fast. Implementing features as intended isn't automatically the same thing as implementing them well. I think they overlooked things when they came up with the 'emotions as gameplay' idea as far as many simmers are concerned. For many people sims should react to major events, events they can relate to (death, being cheated on, not taking a particular shower or being in a room with an item that happens to have an 'aura'). And simmers also want their sims to remember things, emotions shouldn't be very temporary buffs that mean nothing and aren't aimed at particular sims. When my sim in Sims 4 is tense, they will react tense and unfriendly towards everyone. When my sim in 2 or 3 is mad at someone, they will only be unfriendly to that person, not to anyone. I had a sim in 3 who was mad at my sim and she refused to dance with him (two days after he had suggested to just be friends). Instead she started dancing with someone else. That's how I want emotions to be handled.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Sims in TS4 do react to major events, if that does not happen in your game chances are high you are experiencing a bug.

But I agree it would be cool if it was possible to connect emotions to particular sims in certain situations. Sometimes it would really make sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top