Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any Resident Evil fans?

Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
Just curious. What do you think about the teaser Beginning Hour or what little facts that are known about REVII?
“What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Stand a little taller
Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
Footsteps even lighter”

Comments

• TheoriesOfHappinessTheoriesOfHappiness Posts: 1,126 Member
    after resident evil kind of took a turn for the worst after their 4th game, i was really impressed and excited after playing their teaser! it looks really different from anything they've done before, and i really hope they are stepping into a first person scare rather than the third person, guided character scare. i haven't looked too heavily into the production or released thoughts on the game, i really like to have surprises, but i heard that the playable teaser wasn't actually from the completed game itself, so i'm worried it's just a tease at a game they will never make! what are your opinions on it?
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    It's true, the teaser is not gameplay from the game but I do feel it will have a connection to RE7 because the title Beginning Hour and the events that take place seem like a prologue. But I could be wrong. Even though I have most RE games and enjoy all of them, survival horror is where it's at, so it makes me happy they returned to that classic horror and hopefully as they say, for good.

The first-person perspective is well done, I really like it because it makes you feel so much more vulnerable and allows you to experience things personally. Unfortunately, there are quite a few old school classic fans who absolutely despise that Capcom decided to use a first-person perspective claiming it's not Resident Evil, they're following trends-VR, it's a P.T. ripoff, and so on. I don't get it, the majority consistently asked for survival horror, they brought it back and now it's all these other complaints, lol. Well, can't please them all. It's like they expect the same old, same old. I don't really care as long as it stays true to its core foundation and genre.

Still wondering if Beginning Hour is actually beatable. Why give an objective to get out of the house and you really can't? Are there any more secrets to discover?

Don't worry, RE7 has a set release date on January 24, 2017.

Do you watch the RE CGI movies? They are making another one called Vendetta, I can't wait.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • TheoriesOfHappinessTheoriesOfHappiness Posts: 1,126 Member
    that's what i am hoping as well! when i played and heard that it wasn't actually part of the game, i assumed it was either a prologue to the events of the game or it was a preview of how the game would be constructed and played through.

i really disliked RE5 and RE6, but to come back to the scare based survival horror - like you said - is really refreshing. i hope they stick with it. as for those complaining, i tend to just block them out. i heard a lot of people up in arms saying it was a P.T. rip off but i don't see that at all other than the fact that it's a teaser to the RE7 game. i felt that the two games, and their guided play were so completely different. P.T. had hardly any interaction involved, while beginning hour was basically finding multiple things through interaction.

i'm not sure if it's beatable however; not sure how much you've played and i don't want to spoil anything but so far i've gotten close to escaping without the "WELCOME TO THE FAMILY" ending. i lingered too long however because i was confused about why i was still alive after a particular part; i'm assuming it just glitched, but i regret not rushing straight to the door to escape hahaha.

i knew about the release date, i meant "game that won't be made" more in the sense of that i am worried this teaser will be completely different from the final product hahaha. after i was teased and excited over the first person survival concept, i'd really be disappointed to have it be like the two previous RE games. at least it won't be a DS2 scenario again

i haven't seen any of the films, personally. i always heard nothing but negativity, and after watching the silent hill movie (which i did not like) i was worried that if i pursued video game based films again it'd sour my mood toward the game itself hahaha.
    I've played Beginning Hour enough times so far. I know about the attic and answering the phone but keeping your back to the wall or other ways can temporarily prevent Jack from knocking out the character...unless able to watch the VHS again to reset Jack , I know about the hint that RE7 may include RE2 remake demo. I know there are too many differences from the past and the present day. Like the fuse box in the past is not in the same position as in the present. Some still believe there is a good ending but maybe there isn't one. Maybe as someone pointed out as Beginning Hour is labeled as demo 1, there is another demo to be released in connection with the first.

Capcom seems very sure of what direction they want for RE7, it's possible but I don't think anything will change in that regard.

There are two different Resident Evil films, the live-action ones with Milla Jovovich and the canon CG films that do follow the story of the games and is made by Capcom. Resident Evil: Degeneration, Resident Evil: Damnation and soon to be Resident Evil: Vendetta. But maybe those were the movies you were talking about as well. My favorite so far is definitely Damnation.

Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • xLunaSimsxxLunaSimsx Posts: 6,719 Member
    My husband loves Resident Evil
    MPy9H9S.gif
    @xlunalovegoodx That's neat. Does he dislike/like the direction RE7 is going?
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • xLunaSimsxxLunaSimsx Posts: 6,719 Member
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    @xlunalovegoodx That's neat. Does he dislike/like the direction RE7 is going?

He likes it :)
    MPy9H9S.gif
    Hopefully, everyone who enjoys survival horror will not be let down. So far according to the teaser, it's looking and playing as expected to the related genre. B)

Can't wait to find more information in the coming months about the combat and other features.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
    Okay, so it appears there will be a second demo speculated to come out in September according to what was sent to those in the Resident Evil Ambassador Program.

210kmkw.jpg
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • CoemgenusKCoemgenusK Posts: 211 Member
    I think they are trying too hard to woo the people who got latched onto the first person exploration horror trend, such as Amnesia, Outlast, and especially the Silent Hill PT teaser. Whether this will work or feel derivative remains to be seen. I need to see some gameplay to get a judgement .
    positively Epicurean
    I'm sure a lot of people have played those horror type games but not the ones you mentioned I personally played. I wanted to try P.T. but the time I got around to it, well it was too late. But I have played Gone Home and it is good except the storytelling. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter also is good and does have an interesting story. I understand where some people are coming from about it seeming like a gimmick/copy-cat but to me, it's still new because I don't usually play those types of games. Maybe I'm just a little familiar with RE being first-person perspective because of Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles although, yes, both are rail shooters and spin-offs. I haven't got around to finishing Dead Aim, so I don't know. Just saying it's not like they haven't attempted it before, just not within the main series. But you probably already know that.

A fact from reading one of the interviews, RE7 was in development before P.T. was publically known about. However, yes, the teaser does seem to take influences from that but not only that. The Hills Have Eyes, other horror movies, etc. I even read someone making comparisons to an episode from the X-Files called Home.

It's not much to go on but there are short glimpses of RE7 gameplay in the trailer. If you look up, "Resident Evil 7 Gameplay Demo - E3 2016 Sony Press Conference". It starts at 2:51. It's been speculated we will be able to drive a car to different locations, you can see a little bit of combat, etc. Also, it was confirmed that trailer which shows parts of the teaser shows some short scenes from RE7 as well.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Klept0maniac94Klept0maniac94 Posts: 708 Member
    Going on from your most recent comment,
    I tried the P.T Demo. I didn't feel as if it was even a Silent Hill Game.
    Too focused on jump scares imo

I only just recently discovered that, had it of taken off, Norman Reedus (TWD) was going to front it. I would have liked to have seen that!

The sixth installment (PS4) seemed like it would be hard to beat. Had me and my father gritting out teeth the entire time while playing it.
    I just re-watched the gameplay demo again, and I think we will be pleasantly surprised. The biohazard theme could mean mutants like we've never experienced before.. and I'd love it.

Their approach on "found footage" is phenomenal. It doesn't feel overused when they do it. It feels new and exciting! (In my opinion)
    and it will probably scare the pants off us.

As with the driving, I don't think it'll be free roam. RE games are at best, linear style games. Though, they will no doubt be controllable, to an extent.
    my mind is miles elsewhere.
    tumblr_static_cvjq5xfzr5s0cg0s0w4k040og.gif
    https://silverwaterdaisy.tumblr.com
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    A fan of the movies... for reasons that may wear a red dress B)
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    @Klept0maniac94 Kojima said P.T. was not related to Silent Hills at all. It was a separate experience intentionally so that players would not associate it to Silent Hill. In this way, Beginning Hour is similar because it was intentional for players not to recognize it as a Resident Evil game although this teaser does name the game and gives an unfinished preview of some of the gameplay mechanics, 1st person perspective, and tone of the game. It seems the most disappointed cancelled game is Silent Hills. However, if you want to follow up on Kojima's next new game, if you don't already know, it's Death Stranding and again has Norman Reedus I think as the main character. It's an adventure type game from what I read so far. Some comments I read had me laughing talking about a naked Norman Reedus referring to the question, "What did I just watch?".

I really like the found footage sequences as well. It's been confirmed that in the game there will be cassettes you find and listen to, I like that retro vibe they are going for.

Not sure yet how the driving, if there is driving and not a cutscene but that car has shown up enough to notice it's important, I think it could be a small map with different locations the player can drive to and from. Or the player has a starting point and once done with that location, they move on by car to the next. That could be very likely as well. I wonder what kind of interesting things might happen during those drives? In the trailer, it kinda of looks like the character is crashing into something.

@Movotti I like the live-action movies as well. My dad every now and then asks me about the new one called Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. I told him it got delayed because Milla Jovovich got pregnant by the director/husband but will resume once everything is all sorted out with the new bundle of joy. Says on IMDb that it has a release date on 1/27/17. Not too long after RE7 will release.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
    Did you see the lantern trailer, what did you think of it? I thought the lighting and shadows were well done. Although not really scary because it's clear the intent was to showcase other things but I did feel tense. The audio is very well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS05LB-3W4c

Also, the main character name and a little bit of information about why he is in the mansion is explained which also gives insight for the lantern trailer.

Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I loved playing Resident Evil.
    Beginning Hour is updated. The Twilight version. I'm downloading the update now and about to play. Also, the new trailer is called
    Resident Evil 7 biohazard TAPE-2 “The Bakers”. Not 100% sure but I think Beginning Hour is now available to all PS4 users and not just PS Plus.

I wonder what new things there will be? It's about 3 GB worth of data. Time to find a purpose for the dummy finger.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    Resident Evil 7 look interesting I did like watching other people play it and trying to find something about the Dummy finger I think that one youtuber spent hours in that video.

But I myself is a bit of a scary cat win it comes to horror games so if I try to play a horror games with the lights on :sweat_smile:
  • ShadowLabrysShadowLabrys Posts: 281 Member
    edited September 2016
    @Deshong04 I like the original Resident evils RE 4 5 6 are ok but the old style play is what i like the most when it comes to resident evil 7 Im quite hyped for it Oh and i love your Super mario kart Gif :)
    @Kartai Truth be told I scare easily too but there's something about RE that I will be brave enough to play. I didn't even look at any playthroughs of the Twilight version until after my first play so I would be surprised. And yes, quite a few jump scares including seeing my characters shadow on the wall :D . Not sure if there is more to the update or is there another waiting period for more to be opened up. Maybe by the end of RE news for TGS?

@ShadowLabrys Thank you. That's neat, I like all the RE games but so far my favorites are RE0, RE2, and RE4. Not sure if you already know but maybe you would also be interested in the upcoming RE2 Remake. I know I can't wait since it is one of my favorites and the first RE game I've ever played. :smiley:
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
    edited December 2016
    Today the Midnight Version has released which is the final update. I downloaded and played it already but have not finished the demo and ended up quitting because after the 3rd attempt of getting stuck in a room with an enemy and dying before figuring out what I have to do...I just got mad. Really? You going to block my way of escape in that cramped little room with that thing?! It reminds me of Regenerators from RE4, Ooze from Revelations and a tad bit of Uroboros from RE5. I'll play again later, I think I know what to do next time. I usually can't think straight in situations like that in video games.

And yes, as I was wondering if the final update would incorporate VR Mode it does. But I didn't go pass the room started in...nope but I probably will play completely in VR Mode after I know what's going to happen first. :D
    PS: A few more good games coming soon. Remakes of Crash Bandicoot, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy starring Chloe who is working with Nadine on some sort of mission and The Last of Us: Part II. It's so nice when classics get brought back to life in the modern era and well thought out sequels to great games are always welcomed. :smiley:
    Post edited by Deshong04 on
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    I have played a couple of Resident Evil games.

I only ever finished RE4, though, and that was through the use of cheat codes (fun fact: Rocket launchers are fun to use on everything :p). That was only because I was 14, and mainly played games for their stories even back then.

RE:Outbreak, I could never get past the first level. Just too difficult, and I don't usually do too well with timed-based games.

Also my brother and dad played RE6, but I haven't played it myself.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I only like the movies I am not a big fan of horror games.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    @rednenemon If I remember correctly, you could buy the infinite rocket launcher, which is indeed fun. I also loved using the Chicago Typewriter and wearing the Mafia outfit. Plus it was good that Ashley was so much easier to protect when she was in a full suit of armor that enemies couldn't even pick her up without dropping her. :D

I also find Outbreak difficult but not so much for my sibling who made it look easy. Resident Evil 6 is good, I liked having Chris go down the slide and ride the panda spring ride, lol. One of my favorite experiences with that game is the characters paths will cross.

@pepperjax1230 I like the movies too, both canon and non-canon. Can't wait until Resident Evil: The Final Chapter releases next month in theaters and Resident Evil: Vendetta upcoming Spring. :)
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • TaranTaran Posts: 167 Member
    I only watched the movies. Never bothered with the games.