Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rachel Franklin is leaving The Sims 4.

Comments

• Options
    IceheartIceheart Posts: 37 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Iceheart wrote: »
    The game is oddly in-depth with certain things - the type of foods you can make, the drinks you can order, the amount of social interactions, object interactions, and so on

That's not depth, that's known as breadth. There is a wide range of the same thing, that only has shallow effect on the sim. Depth would be if the food nourished the sim - salad differently from cake - and that made a difference to the sim's fitness.

I thought food does that? The type of tea can change how they're feeling, Sims gain weight more quickly with unhealthy foods than salads and such (though I'm not 100% on that.) But I do see what you're saying. A lot of choices, but not much consequence for whichever one you pick.
  • Options
    WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    All I have to say is bye, girl, bye.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    Edit: Basically, what I'm trying to say is TS2 = depth, TS3 = breadth, TS4 = neither

Wow, this is the most succinct, perfect way to describe the games that I've ever seen.

Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Wilderwolf wrote: »
    Edit: Basically, what I'm trying to say is TS2 = depth, TS3 = breadth, TS4 = neither

Wow, this is the most succinct, perfect way to describe the games that I've ever seen.

Agreed. And I'd add that the original TS = innovation. TS4 certainly does not have that. TS5, if there is one, needs to have innovation, depth, and breadth.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    TS3 allows you do a lot of the same thing, but somehow still manages to be fun,

I find TS4 more fun than TS3, in Live Mode. But Build Mode was more satisfying in TS3

• Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Here is how I see the Sims games: Sims 1 is red velvet cake, Sims 2 is chocolate cake, Sims 3 is vanilla cake, and Sims 4 is coffee cake (couldn't think of another main cake). Some like red velvet and chocolate, but not vanilla or coffee some like coffee and vanilla, and find red velvet okay, but don't like chocolate, or some may just like chocolate, but the moral of the story is that people have different tastes, and you don't see people getting into fights about it or making a big deal about what they do or don't like, but something stays the same. They're all still cake.
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    Good luck Rachel Franklin in your endeavors, let's hope the person to take over will take The Sims 4 in a fresh and new direction. :)
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Here is how I see the Sims games: Sims 1 is red velvet cake, Sims 2 is chocolate cake, Sims 3 is vanilla cake, and Sims 4 is coffee cake (couldn't think of another main cake). Some like red velvet and chocolate, but not vanilla or coffee some like coffee and vanilla, and find red velvet okay, but don't like chocolate, or some may just like chocolate, but the moral of the story is that people have different tastes, and you don't see people getting into fights about it or making a big deal about what they do or don't like, but something stays the same. They're all still cake.

Well, that analogy doesn't quite work for me or probably many others. I would say the original TS was the first birthdaycake I ever remember, so it was amazing. TS2 was an old-fashioned pound cake made from scratch -- a pound each of eggs, flour, sugar, and butter, plus all the other ingredients. Totally awesome. TS3 was a tall, ornate wedding cake. Dazzling. Then I expected TS4 to be another fantastic cake but instead it was a stale, sugar-free, gluten-free bran muffin that made me nauseous when I tried to eat it.

Or, it's coffee cake made from Sanka. :s
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    knazzer wrote: »
    Good luck Rachel Franklin in your endeavors, let's hope the person to take over will take The Sims 4 in a fresh and new direction. :)

No, just the old direction back again please.
  • Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    knazzer wrote: »

No, just the old direction back again please.

Hallelujah.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    Will Wight studied this game from every angle and he also listened when people shared their ideas. He came up with the best selling PC game in the world.

Will Wright created Minecraft?

Hahaha :unamused:

@Katlyn2525 is correct. The Sims 1 was the (Guinness Record verified) best-selling game of its time, and the Sims 2 beat the Sims 1, and it in turn was beat by the Sims 3. No idea what is happening with TS4.

That's not accurate at all. The Sims sold a little over 11 million copies. The Sims 2 sold 6 million. The Sims 3 sold 7.7 million. Here's the list again if you want to see it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games
    Before the Sims 1, Myst was the best selling PC game of all time, after the Sims 1, Minecraft came along... even the majority of Simmers have moved on from the Sims 1--the same way we've moved on from Myst, and eventually the same way people will move on from Minecraft, that doesn't remove the game's status when that happens!

I don't play Minecraft. In fact, I don't understand Minecrafts popularity. The whole point here is that we're entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.
    And to the best of my knowledge, the Sims is still the #1 franchise in the world, but I reserve the right to be wrong.

Assuming the 125 million figure given by said individual for total sales of all Sims products for all platforms, this is incorrect as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

It would appear that the greatest selling video game franchise of all time is Tetris with nearly 500 million units sold. It would appear that the contest isn't even close.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    If the game was actually free, I probably wouldn't be so peeved. But they are using this awful f2p model on a paid game and it's annoying.

I completely agree with your posts on this, it's something I've been thinking for a while. The game is oddly in-depth with certain things - the type of foods you can make, the drinks you can order, the amount of social interactions, object interactions, and so on - yet incredibly shallow at its core, with much smaller neighbourhoods and CAST, toddlers, open world, memories etc. being taken away. But despite the nigh countless threads, blogs, reviews, websites and petitions asking for this to be rectified, they seem plum bent on completely ignoring the playerbase and adding in the same superficial content with each pack they bring out. I was shocked to see how barely any (if at all) game-changing content had been added over the past two years, but I understand why now. This is EA's attempt to make The Sims more mobile-friendly - focusing all the effort and detail into the lighter parts of the game to distract from the removal of the tech that would hamper its transition to a mobile platform.

Why do they want yet another The Sims on mobile - they have Free Play on mobile and The Sims 3 which isn't free on mobile - and personally Sims 4 cannot hold a candle to Sims 3 seeing Sims 3 has all ideas and aspects of a life Simulation already licensed to it and there by usable in the Sims 3 mobile - but what does Sims 4 have to offer? It will not go Mobil because Sims 3 already has a mobile Sims game covered. Again I add Sims 3 mobile unlike Free Play is not free. So where would a Sims 4 fit into all this - it doesn't. Nor is the Sims 4 going console either. So it seems no direction for the Sims 4 but pc and they really need to get on the ball to re-float this ship if computer is the only direction for Sims 4 to go. That is provided they want to keep it afloat.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    If the game was actually free, I probably wouldn't be so peeved. But they are using this awful f2p model on a paid game and it's annoying.

I completely agree with your posts on this, it's something I've been thinking for a while. The game is oddly in-depth with certain things - the type of foods you can make, the drinks you can order, the amount of social interactions, object interactions, and so on - yet incredibly shallow at its core, with much smaller neighbourhoods and CAST, toddlers, open world, memories etc. being taken away. But despite the nigh countless threads, blogs, reviews, websites and petitions asking for this to be rectified, they seem plum bent on completely ignoring the playerbase and adding in the same superficial content with each pack they bring out. I was shocked to see how barely any (if at all) game-changing content had been added over the past two years, but I understand why now. This is EA's attempt to make The Sims more mobile-friendly - focusing all the effort and detail into the lighter parts of the game to distract from the removal of the tech that would hamper its transition to a mobile platform.

Totally disagree with this - as I just said that makes no sense at all. Sims mobile is well covered by better than a Sims 4 version by Free play and Sims 3 mobile both for Iphone and Android. Do you think any part of Sims 4 could hold up against either of those? It comes no where near Sims 3 in content or anything else - so why would they even consider a third Sims game on mobile too?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    As much as I would like to see SimGuruGraham take the helm, I seriously doubt that it will happen. I can just see him thinking in the back of his mind "I have seen that job and I do not want it!" I think he does a great job in his current position, as long as no one holds him back. I mean, look at all of the innovative game play that came from Graham and the Seal 6 team in the Sims 3 ( houseboats comes to mind)! I think he should stay where he is, we just need a great, new leader that has the right vision for the Sims to take the lead.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    As much as I would like to see SimGuruGraham take the helm, I seriously doubt that it will happen. I can just see him thinking in the back of his mind "I have seen that job and I do not want it!" I think he does a great job in his current position, as long as no one holds him back. I mean, look at all of the innovative game play that came from Graham and the Seal 6 team in the Sims 3 ( houseboats comes to mind)! I think he should stay where he is, we just need a great, new leader that has the right vision for the Sims to take the lead.

Preferably one who despises RPG game and understands life simulator.
  • Options
    On the same note - about the only direction they could go with present The Sims 4 would be VR - but then I would ask why. Of course that might account for the over saturated coloring, multi-tasking ability, and questing - but really what is the point of a Sims game on VR? I really don't see it unless it would be more like The Medieval Sims game perhaps.

In dreams - I LIVE!

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top