Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rachel Franklin is leaving The Sims 4.

Comments

• ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Arletta wrote: »
    ShaddBoi wrote: »
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    Aesir26 wrote: »
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    I'll make a bold pitch for the next person to lead what could become the greatest Sims game ever: Cassidy Wright. Hey, she's Will's daughter, she's interested in technology, she's old enough and young enough at the same time. C'mon, who's with me?!?

What are her professional credentials? Has she been the head of a studio before? Does she have experience with game development or anything related to that field? Don't get me wrong I really liked Will Wright when he was involved with the Sims, but I don't think her parentage, her interests, or her age are really enough to ensure "the greatest Sims game ever".

I seriously doubt that there is a "greatest Sims game ever" for everyone. I think the game is too much your imagination to be a "standard" great game. It is what you imagine it to be. You love some things and hate some things. They are not the same things that I love or hate, they just are. I always have to shake my head when I see "the best Sims Game Ever" because none of them are and none of them will be for everyone in my opinion. The best is what you make of it.

I agree with you @jimmysnan . Everyone's individual expectations are so widely different that the gurus would never be able to create a one-size-fits-all sims game for us.

I've liked each of the sims releases---including 4---in their own way, but I've also disliked various aspects about each.

As much as I liked 3, with its open worlds and CAS, I used to get quite agitated by all the bugs and slow load times and lagging. I cannot begin to count how many times my game was interrupted by glitches or poor performance, and I was constantly clearing the cache to improve performance, and, toward the end of sims 3, I was doing this constantly.

In my mind, sims 2 was laid out the best. I loved the design of the apartments, the shopping, the vacation destinations (and the activities that you could do there) and the fact that cars pulled in and backed out of driveways, instead of just magically appearing in a parking spot or personal inventory. It was a simple game, yet it really was put together well.

I recognize that game design would be a tough profession to be in, and I applaud all the gurus and the programmers and testers and supporting staff for their hard work! I am sure that Rachel and SimGuruDrake and all the rest of the gurus have put in some very long days, and their list of challenges are long and rigorous. They have to try to please the fans, whilst also pleasing EA and its stockholders.

Do I like all 100% of the content that EA/Maxis delivers? Definitely not (i.e. Katy Perry in 3), but, at least for me, I feel that there is enough good content in 2,3, and 4 to hold my interest for hours at a time. I will admit that 4 has held my attention the least of all---I generally only play for an hour or so here and there---but I still enjoy playing the game, and I have spent hours building houses and creating sims. Sometimes I think I enjoy creating more than actually playing.

This is in reply to the part I bolded. I think W.W. has finally got his dream come true and name this the architectural game which is what he was going to call TS1. Considering there is such a huge number of lots on the gallery it's clear people like building more than they like playing it. Millions of lots.

But the sad thing about TS4 is it's alright for character creation and building (but limited in those areas, too) but we're supposed to be playing and after you strip away the CAS manipulation and the building aspects (new push and pull blocks) there's not much in there for actually keeping people for playing for days without stopping. Playing for hours and hours and forgetting to take a bathroom break. Those are the days of The Sims and The Sims2 and probably for many in TS3 though it started to be more about building also. Oh, and uploading patterns.

I cannot argue with you there @Cinebar . I think what you state has merit. The wow factor of the house building and sim creation components has definitely came with a price...less emphasis on the actual gameplay :/

Fortunately, for me, that's alright---these home building capabilities satisfy my "inner architect" desire. But I can also understand why this may turn off so many simmers. I've recently talked to simmers on this forum who do not like to build at all. They'd rather download a nice house off the gallery and then spend the majority of their time playing the game. Herein lies the problem...there is just not that much for the Sims to do just yet. To some extent, we've sacrificed simulation for creation, and I can understand how that frustrates many simmers.

And as much as I do love the building tools, even this comes with limitations (as you also stated above). It's sometimes difficult to match doors-to-windows or furniture-to-furniture because the color schemes have been pre-chosen for us. That has definitely hindered some of my designs, and is one of the reasons that I heavily miss the Sims 3 CAS system.

I would like a color wheel at least. Not many shades of the same color match in this game and it really annoys me. SGLyndsay said she was surprised not many people were using the color choices they had included on clothes or maybe it was furniture. (now I remember reading that in the Ask A guru thread now closed...middle of night light goes on where I saw that,lol) It's no wonder, hope telemetry doesn't tell them next time no need to add those extra things but for it was non matching shades of color.

Yes! I would be happy with even a small color wheel, and maybe a small pattern wheel of 30-50 patterns. It would be so nice to be able to customize furniture. I build a lot of 1920s to 1940s creations, and some of this furniture clashes with my designs. I end up using many of the same pieces in my houses.

And you know what else I miss? Hair highlights haha. Most of my sims are based off people I know, and I have one friend with these nice purple streaks and tips that I cannot recreate with the given tools.

I miss being able to give Nancy Landgrabb black roots when I'd dress her in sleazy daisy dukes. :o

I'll add my name to this list. I used to create sims and give them very strange hair colour combinations.

One thing I loved about TS3's CASt was being able to create graying hair at the temples. Just slightly or maybe dramatic. As if they were slowly showing their age as they were getting older. I loved that.
    I really miss having this customization too. Being able to have an elder sim that just had gray streaks, teens with pink and purple highlights, older adults with gray roots...it was only hair color but it just added a lot of depth to CAS. I wish we could at least get this back for hair.

Yes, it would be so cool to get a hair highlight feature back!
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I'll make a bold pitch for the next person to lead what could become the greatest Sims game ever: Cassidy Wright. Hey, she's Will's daughter, she's interested in technology, she's old enough and young enough at the same time. C'mon, who's with me?!?

What are her professional credentials? Has she been the head of a studio before? Does she have experience with game development or anything related to that field? Don't get me wrong I really liked Will Wright when he was involved with the Sims, but I don't think her parentage, her interests, or her age are really enough to ensure "the greatest Sims game ever".

I seriously doubt that there is a "greatest Sims game ever" for everyone. I think the game is too much your imagination to be a "standard" great game. It is what you imagine it to be. You love some things and hate some things. They are not the same things that I love or hate, they just are. I always have to shake my head when I see "the best Sims Game Ever" because none of them are and none of them will be for everyone in my opinion. The best is what you make of it.

I agree with you @jimmysnan . Everyone's individual expectations are so widely different that the gurus would never be able to create a one-size-fits-all sims game for us.

I've liked each of the sims releases---including 4---in their own way, but I've also disliked various aspects about each.

As much as I liked 3, with its open worlds and CAS, I used to get quite agitated by all the bugs and slow load times and lagging. I cannot begin to count how many times my game was interrupted by glitches or poor performance, and I was constantly clearing the cache to improve performance, and, toward the end of sims 3, I was doing this constantly.

In my mind, sims 2 was laid out the best. I loved the design of the apartments, the shopping, the vacation destinations (and the activities that you could do there) and the fact that cars pulled in and backed out of driveways, instead of just magically appearing in a parking spot or personal inventory. It was a simple game, yet it really was put together well.

I recognize that game design would be a tough profession to be in, and I applaud all the gurus and the programmers and testers and supporting staff for their hard work! I am sure that Rachel and SimGuruDrake and all the rest of the gurus have put in some very long days, and their list of challenges are long and rigorous. They have to try to please the fans, whilst also pleasing EA and its stockholders.

Do I like all 100% of the content that EA/Maxis delivers? Definitely not (i.e. Katy Perry in 3), but, at least for me, I feel that there is enough good content in 2,3, and 4 to hold my interest for hours at a time. I will admit that 4 has held my attention the least of all---I generally only play for an hour or so here and there---but I still enjoy playing the game, and I have spent hours building houses and creating sims. Sometimes I think I enjoy creating more than actually playing.

I too create more than I play I only have 268 hours into the game. I could not play sims 3 it was too laggy and buggy and would not recognize my newer video card, so it never played right, I love sims 2, but my sims all seem to look the same and I find the CAS in that after sims 4 to be lacking. I can't download sims 1 on my computer even though I have all the disks, would love if EA would make it a digital download so I could play it again.

I too create more than I play I only have 268 hours into the game. I could not play sims 3 it was too laggy and buggy and would not recognize my newer video card, so it never played right, I love sims 2, but my sims all seem to look the same and I find the CAS in that after sims 4 to be lacking. I can't download sims 1 on my computer even though I have all the disks, would love if EA would make it a digital download so I could play it again.

I would not mind going back to play Sims 1 again for a while, if only to see Marky Sharky...aka the Volley Shark...on the beach!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @jimmysnan I still think The Sims 2 body shop has more sliders than this game. At least for face structure. I stopped using TS2 CAS years ago and built my Sims in body shop then in game go into existing Sims in the in game CAS and they will be in there from body shop. It has so many things this game doesn't have like nostril flare or not, lowering the eye brow just over the eye or not, double chin etc. And Spock ears. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimsFanatic2688SimsFanatic2688 Posts: 222 Member

I would not mind going back to play Sims 1 again for a while, if only to see Marky Sharky...aka the Volley Shark...on the beach!

I remember the shark!! Id love Sims 1 to go digital on origin as a complete collection.
  • lakmelakme Posts: 43 Member
    I agree that she didn't seem to really share the same vision that the fans have, and as a fan, I'm hoping that this means we'll get someone who does. Wasn't she the one who said that they didn't consult professionals for this game? Which is why the emotions are so unrealistic...
    @jimmysnan I still think The Sims 2 body shop has more sliders than this game. At least for face structure. I stopped using TS2 CAS years ago and built my Sims in body shop then in game go into existing Sims in the in game CAS and they will be in there from body shop. It has so many things this game doesn't have like nostril flare or not, lowering the eye brow just over the eye or not, double chin etc. And Spock ears. :)

I have to admit I have never used Sims 2 Bodyshop because I did not know how to use it
  • SimsFanatic2688SimsFanatic2688 Posts: 222 Member
    lakme wrote: »
    I agree that she didn't seem to really share the same vision that the fans have, and as a fan, I'm hoping that this means we'll get someone who does. Wasn't she the one who said that they didn't consult professionals for this game? Which is why the emotions are so unrealistic...

I keep forgetting the emotion system is even there! Its so pointless as nothing has ever been done with it. I dont even notice it when i do play now.
    I am having trouble with this site, since I had to update. I just got word that I have posted too much and have been taken off of here for spamming. It showed in red on top of this comment. So if this does show then great if not then I can't help it
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2016

That might have been Lucy Bradshaw but during the interview where they were together. I never understood that since LB had a degree in psychology and I thought it would have been useful in fleshing out what a Sim should do when they felt a particular emotion and especially for traits and whether those were inherited or learned. And the magnitude those things would play in fleshing out a Sim to be a unique individual which in this game they are not but were to me in TS2.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • lakmelakme Posts: 43 Member

I keep forgetting the emotion system is even there! Its so pointless as nothing has ever been done with it. I dont even notice it when i do play now.

It drives me nuts--like I said in another thread, I'm in the field of psychology and do research on emotion dysregulation, so I feel pretty confident in saying that the way they work in TS4 is extremely unrealistic. Although, honestly, the lack of realism wouldn't bother me if the emotion system didn't (IMO) inhibit story telling so badly.

I remember the shark!! Id love Sims 1 to go digital on origin as a complete collection.

That goofy looking shark dude always cracked me up. He is one of my fav sim NPC's! Haha

That goofy looking shark dude always cracked me up. He is one of my fav sim NPC's! Haha

He is goofy looking but I too love seeing him, I miss the game itself, as it was played with my son when he was younger who is now 42, I played the sims 2 with grandson (his son) and the sims 3 and 4 on my own since they had moved on.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @rudy8292 wrote: »
    They should bring back Will Wright, but I don't think he would want to join the Sims 4 in this state.

I actually think people would be shocked if Will Wright worked on a Sims game.

Simply because it would be so far from The Sims 2/3/4 that I think people would hate it even more.

You have to remember, he was the one who worked on The Sims Bustin Out. That was his last Sims game that he had control over, and he loved the over the top, quirky cartoon, non realistic, adult focused, linear gameplay. That's where he took The Sims before he went.

He was an "advisor" on The Sims 2 base game, which meant he was asked if he liked the game, and if he felt it was good enough. But I believe a Sims sequel would have been nothing like The Sims 2 we have now, if he was in total control.

I think it's good that he left when he did. He also though SimCity 2013 was incredible.
    @jcp011c2 wrote: »
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Bye The Sims franchise....it was good while at lasted :/

True, Ben Bell was an amazing project leader.....
    ....Any way we can get him back?

Olympus was a project under his name befire he left.
    Rachel stepped in around the time of SimCity 2013.
    Honestly, I'm kind of glad. I don't think she had a vision for the Sims 4.

I've always said, The Sims 4 being what it was wasn't her fault, because she was dumped with the project and was given a year to make it work.

That said, I don't know what's she's been doing since Get Together. She hasn't done any interviews, she hasn't talked about 4 that much. I think it's for the best.

I just hope SimGuruLyndsay gets the spot. She worked on the original Sims and has always worked on the games. I hope she gets full control over the Sims and takes it.

I want the future of The Sims 4 to be fixed. It can be fixed if they focus on it. It's not broken at its core like people say, it's just not enough has been done with it
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I hope Graham comes back because if he is the guru that headed up Sims 3, he appeared to be levelled headed and a nice person. He showed a lot of passion for the Sims. I wish Rachel better luck in her next endeavors, Sims series need better guidance that reflects some wishes from all groups and not just one. :) however be careful for what you ask for you may not get it and in time if there is any left I guess some of us will see if there is change.

That wouldn't help me with the game's future, because I was already upset by the direction TS3 was going in. Although I was excited by the open world, and it was worth playing for that alone, I already noticed the shallowing out of the sims as little humans and the extra emphasis on ways to score goals. I would like to go back to the personality sliders, and the personal memories and experiences stored by the sims. I know that these very memories caused some of the clogging up of our computer processing but in my judgement that was largely because they gossipped about them too freely and about too trivial matters. So basically if Betsy burned her grilled cheese one day, three generations later every sim in the universe knew about it and stored it as a memory. This lovely idea could simply have been tuned down a bit.

Interesting reply but I am trying to see how Sims where 'shallowed out as little humans' as you put it.

TS3 had the greatest emphasis on Sims in any Sims game what with the traits replacing the dated 'personality points'

THey were shallowed out big time, sims in 3 are the blandest so far.
    Maybe they were bland but as far as gameplay goes I am more interested in and Sims 4 right now has the blandest gameplay. But what I post and what you post can be subjective because we after all have different tastes. It takes more than graphics and it just run to keep me interested.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited September 2016
    I honestly believe the sims today would leave Will Wright shaking his head. This was his baby.
    I honestly believe the sims today would leave Will Wright shaking his head. This was his baby.

Have you seen The Sims Bustin Out? That was his baby. He even presented it, and did all the press for it.

While it was a great game, it was more distant than The Sims 4 is from the original Sims. It was a game where you played a Story. That's where Will Wright took the game.

Will Wright lost interest as of The Sims 2. He barely spoke about it, and wasn't even credited on it apart from being the person who created it. They just asked him if he was okay for the game to be realesed under his brand.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    City Life will be announced next 2 weeks. Wait and see.

Let's hope so! That would be amazing!

As it's paid for content I'm fairly sure it won't be announced until we're in the quarter of its release (ie, probably the next one)

@SimGuruDrake , am I right in saying it's paid for content that has to be announced in the same quarter it's released in?

@BabySquare Paid content can be announced whenever we feel its ready to be talked about. :)

Ahh! Thanks. :)

I always get confused as to whether it's paid content or free content that the time restrictions apply to. :confused:
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

This is in reply to the part I bolded. I think W.W. has finally got his dream come true and name this the architectural game which is what he was going to call TS1. Considering there is such a huge number of lots on the gallery it's clear people like building more than they like playing it. Millions of lots.

But the sad thing about TS4 is it's alright for character creation and building (but limited in those areas, too) but we're supposed to be playing and after you strip away the CAS manipulation and the building aspects (new push and pull blocks) there's not much in there for actually keeping people for playing for days without stopping. Playing for hours and hours and forgetting to take a bathroom break. Those are the days of The Sims and The Sims2 and probably for many in TS3 though it started to be more about building also. Oh, and uploading patterns.

I cannot argue with you there @Cinebar . I think what you state has merit. The wow factor of the house building and sim creation components has definitely came with a price...less emphasis on the actual gameplay :/

Fortunately, for me, that's alright---these home building capabilities satisfy my "inner architect" desire. But I can also understand why this may turn off so many simmers. I've recently talked to simmers on this forum who do not like to build at all. They'd rather download a nice house off the gallery and then spend the majority of their time playing the game. Herein lies the problem...there is just not that much for the Sims to do just yet. To some extent, we've sacrificed simulation for creation, and I can understand how that frustrates many simmers.

And as much as I do love the building tools, even this comes with limitations (as you also stated above). It's sometimes difficult to match doors-to-windows or furniture-to-furniture because the color schemes have been pre-chosen for us. That has definitely hindered some of my designs, and is one of the reasons that I heavily miss the Sims 3 CAS system.
    I do agree that a lot of what is making Sims 4 run almost w/o problems comes at a price for some simmers who want to take the game over and beyond but can't because it might make one group feel left out and IMHO it is like one size fit all if one group can't experience all the bells and whistles than nobody else can experience those bells and whistles regardless if you run your system with an i7 6700K, Nvidia 1080 8 GB ram, and 16 GB ram, etc. I would love to see a demo with Sims 4 with all it's features and some of Sims 3 features(Yeah it is a pipe dream but one dream though). However it their game and it my money and glad it is only one of the many I do play. :)

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top