Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Origin How To [UPDATE: Legacy installer for Vista and XP added]

DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
edited September 2016 in PC - Technical Discussions
Okay, it seems some of you need a bit of a tutorial on the new Origin after today's update. Here you go.

When you launch and log in, Origin looks different. Here's were to click for what.
4WCaj2C.jpg

Here is how to access different thing related to your game.
5BVbtZK.jpg

And when you choose GAME PROPERTIES, here is how to work with those, especially getting it back to the 64 bit launch option.
q4GszN2.jpg

UPDATE The Scaling/Oversize issue has been addressed in the new Origin Beta client. Here's how to get it:

Click on the Origin menu (the word ORIGIN at the top of the application), and select Application Settings.

Turn on the "Participate in Origin client betas" switch.

Restart Origin and allow it to update.

Beta Installer if you are unable to install Origin 10 due to oversized widow: https://download.dm.origin.com/origin/forum/33129/OriginThinSetupBeta.exe

Legacy Installer for Windows XP and Vista ONLY. Some features will remain unavailable but, this will allow you to play, download and update your games. Chat, the store and some other things will not be available in this Origin but, you can purchase games form the website then, use this to download and play. https://www.dm.origin.com/download/legacy
Life is what you make it so, make it good.
Post edited by DarkAmaranth1966 on

Comments

• MistyDoveMistyDove Posts: 695 Member
    Thank you for taking the time to make this. It took me a little bit to readjust to the new layout so hopefully other simmers will see this and it will help them too
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    Cool! Just adding a note here from @SimGuruNick about the apparent reversion to 32-bit:
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    So I click on Play but my game doesn't open.

I'll try closing and reopening Origin and see if that works.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)

EDIT: Finally opened but it took FOREVER. :|

EDIT: Finally opened but it took FOREVER. :|

EDIT AGAIN: I got a message that all my packs were re-downloading, and when I went into game got "Game Data Incomplete" -- how the plum do I know when I can play my game? :s
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited September 2016
    Check your country flag at the top right as well. It showed the USA flag for me whereas it should be the UK one. I only got through to the information help page when the right country was chosen. No problem with the game start though.

I don't like the way it states that I have no friends though. I always feel that it is an unsafe way of chatting - too near to one's account details!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    edited September 2016
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    Check your country flag at the top right as well. It showed the USA flag for me whereas it should be the UK one. I only got through to the information help page when the right country was chosen. No problem with the game start though.

Are you on a Mac? On a PC, I'm not seeing a country flag anywhere. (Though I will note that my regional settings under EA Account and Billing - which opened in a browser - were unchanged)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    @luthienrising Not quite sure why this happened to me but I think that I clicked on the more information button which couldn't be found until I saw a small usa flag and changed it. I cannot see it again except on the EA Help page which remains on the USA flag and doesn't find the Help page if changed to uk. I'm a beta user. I'm a bit confused.

My personal settings have the uk entered though.
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    Both help.ea.com and Answers headquarters appear to be having issues at the moment. Wait a few hours and try again.
  • PhoibePhoibe Posts: 66 Member
    Thank you DarkAmaranth for the 64bit tutorial :) It helped a lot!
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,641 Member
    edited September 2016
    Thanks for posting this @DarkAmaranth1966 . My Origin just updated and it all looked so confusing. Bookmarked!

Anyone know why Sims 4 isn't as boldly coloured in the games library? I notice in the picture above that TS4 looks like mine does, yet my Sims 3 is bold, and I'm not touching that as I'm not allowing it to update.
    Also, I can't remember if it's best to play without the origin box checked I'm sure I played off line before.

Just found I have to scroll down to see the other bits, I hate the size of it.
    Post edited by February11 on
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • JasyaPlayerJasyaPlayer Posts: 8 New Member
    For some reasons, I can't find any button to press to purchase the Stuff Packs. Expansion Packs and other games are fine where there is a "Buy Now" button next to the cover art. But there is none for the Stuff Packs. Also is there no store cart anymore on this new Origin??
  • ShadowLabrysShadowLabrys Posts: 281 Member
    this did take me a while to get used to as well but i do have one question my sims 4 is faded like it needs a update but it wont update stupid question i know but it does work im just curious to if i need to re install it
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,567 Member
    this did take me a while to get used to as well but i do have one question my sims 4 is faded like it needs a update but it wont update plum question i know but it does work im just curious to if i need to re install it

Hello
    If you can still play the game, the faded picture will not cause issues. You don't need to reinstall the game. Press the sims 4 picture, and the sims 4 screen, settings button and extra content tab etc will appear, and you can press play there.
  • ShadowLabrysShadowLabrys Posts: 281 Member
    @rosemow thank you i just wanted to make sure cause at first i was confused :)
    edited September 2016
    For some reasons, I can't find any button to press to purchase the Stuff Packs. Expansion Packs and other games are fine where there is a "Buy Now" button next to the cover art. But there is none for the Stuff Packs. Also is there no store cart anymore on this new Origin??

Hello
    There should be a buy now button in the ' extra content" tab if you don't own the packs. The extra content is underneath the sims 4 picture section where you can press play to launch the game. If it is not there, log out of origin , then log back in and see if that helps to make the button appear.
    If you are still having issues, you can go to the Origin store site and buy the packs there. You can add them to your shopping cart there.
    https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/browse
    There is a special offer at the moment that by typing in the code ORIGIN50 you get 50% off the price.
  • JasyaPlayerJasyaPlayer Posts: 8 New Member
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello
    There should be a buy now button in the ' extra content" tab if you don't own the packs. The extra content is underneath the sims 4 picture section where you can press play to launch the game. If it is not there, log out of origin , then log back in and see if that helps to make the button appear.
    If you are still having issues, you can go to the Origin store site and buy the packs there. You can add them to your shopping cart there.
    There is a special offer at the moment that by typing in the code ORIGIN50 you get 50% off the price.

Yeay, I found it and it did it. Thank you! And yes, that offer is just too good to be ignored, so I thought I had to buy something. So I just purchased Backyard and Perfect Patio. So excited! :D

Hello

Yeay, I found it and it did it. Thank you! And yes, that offer is just too good to be ignored, so I thought I had to buy something. So I just purchased Backyard and Perfect Patio. So excited! :D

It is great that you have purchased the two stuff packs! :) That is exciting! You will enjoy having the stuff pack items in your game. The discount offer is great!
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    this did take me a while to get used to as well but i do have one question my sims 4 is faded like it needs a update but it wont update plum question i know but it does work im just curious to if i need to re install it

Note my screenshots at the top. TS4 is faded, that's okay, it's just a graphical thing with that cover art. The game will ask to update when you launch it, if it needs to update.

Note my screenshots at the top. TS4 is faded, that's okay, it's just a graphical thing with that cover art. The game will ask to update when you launch it, if it needs to update.

That's good to know. I've just updated on my win 8.1 laptop and TS4 is faded there too. I was worried at first.
    Also, the size of the Origin interface on my win 8.1 is a normal size, but on my win 10 it's massive and fills the whole screen and I can't minimize it. I lowered the zoom thing-o and hasn't made a whole lot of difference. Will just have to get used to it I s'pose!
    MLgj4Vx.png
    February11 wrote: »

That's good to know. I've just updated on my win 8.1 laptop and TS4 is faded there too. I was worried at first.
    Also, the size of the Origin interface on my win 8.1 is a normal size, but on my win 10 it's massive and fills the whole screen and I can't minimize it. I lowered the zoom thing-o and hasn't made a whole lot of difference. Will just have to get used to it I s'pose!

Hello
    Crinrict has posted about the issue in this post link.
    Re: Origin Size:

To my knowledge, this issue has been escalated to the Origin team and is hopefully being worked on.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15192846/#Comment_15192846

Hello

To my knowledge, this issue has been escalated to the Origin team and is hopefully being worked on.

Thanks rose, I'll check that display setting when I get home from work. On this laptop (win 8.1) it's set at 1. Haven't ever really looked at that on the win 10 one.
    MLgj4Vx.png
    edited September 2016

Hello

Thanks rose, I'll check that display setting when I get home from work. On this laptop (win 8.1) it's set at 1. Haven't ever really looked at that on the win 10 one.

You're welcome :) I hope that your work day goes well.