Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does your game crash a lot?

Just curious. I'm not running the best rig in the world, and I am slightly careless with my CC but I rarely get crashing. I'm a little perplexed at the people that get crashing after 1/2hr of gameplay (or less). I have a lot of mods and CC too.

I also leave my game in windowed mode, on pause, but generally ON all day long and run background aps like Chrome, Lightroom, maybe other editing programs.

Does your Sims 3 game crash a lot?

The only time I get crashes is when *I* do something bad like.. changing a file around while the game is on (no no) and maybe accidentally trying to install the wrong game CC (a few times... my bad).

I have a PC though, not sure if that makes a difference. Just wondering if others who play the game frequently deal with a lot of crashing.
Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
Studio

Comments

• Options
    carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    only if i download bad CC or mess with the INI files too much what are your specs?
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Hello @GaiaHypothesis To answer your question, my game rarely crashes anymore. After reading threads on preventing it, and getting Overwatch and Errortrap, my game runs rather well. A big thing for me was making sure I was off line and preventing those in-game store pictures. I don't run anything in the background, though. The last crash I had was when Windows tried to update while I was playing. It didn't really crash but it did freeze.
    This computer I specifically purchased for the sims 3 after much research and it runs well. I used to play on a basic computer that I put a graphic card in but it really wasn't enough for this game.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited September 2016
    My game has been crashing a lot more frequently this summer. In the past it used to crash maybe 2-3 a year. Now it's crashing once a week or more. I recently set NRaas Saver to save every 30 min, down from my preferred 45 min intervals just because it crashes so often.

I don't know what it could be. I haven't taken a systematic approach to try and find the issue. It could be:

1. recently installed 16 GB RAM could be bad
    2. running a Ramdisk and putting TS3 cache files on it (edit: I stopped using the ramdisk, and so far, no crashes. Still testing though. :) )
    3. my SSD
    4. patch 1.69
    5. I've been dabbling with my own tuning files and sometimes a little knowledge is a bad thing
    6. new mods maybe?

I haven't added any real CC over the last few months. Maybe a few hairstyles. I suppose I could pull them.

I have been stalking the Daily Deal and adding a lot of Store content. I know some of it hasn't installed properly:

hottubtrouble_zpsgb8gpiws.jpg~original

hottubtrouble1_zpsy3lmnees.jpg~original

Since I've been buying off the DD almost every day I haven't bothered hunting down the problematic install and fixing it. I figure I'll reinstall everything once I'm done buying stuff.

I currently am dealing with "a lot" (for me) of crashing. I don't know why but there are things I could do to try and eliminate potential causes. I just haven't taken the time yet. My PC is fairly decent, but I built it in 2012 so it's getting old. I'd love to upgrade but don't have the funds.

edit: specs:

cpu: Intel i7-3770
    ram: 16 GB
    graphics: Nvidia 770 GTX
    SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10GHz
    RAM: 8GB
    System: 64-bit Operating system
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 8350
    ACER

I recently "upgraded" to a 250GB SSD, and 1TBHDD also, but I'm not entirely sure that it really increased my game performance. The game is installed on the SSD but portions are on the HDD.

I also ended up buying the game and all EP's from Steam instead of ORigin and I do feel like game performance increased after that.

With that said I don't play HUGE worlds.
    Studio
  • Options
    ChrisDadoskyChrisDadosky Posts: 39 Member
    I used to play it on my Acer and it crashed about once every ten times I played it. I finally got fed up with using a cheap computer and built a PC for $1000. With no lag, short load times, and no crashing as of yet, plus the fact that I can play it with the highest graphics settings I like, it was worth every penny.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I had a lot of crashing on a few occasions like after installing a faulty copy of World Adventures and after installing Supernatural from the faulty disk though the only other time I got a lot of crashes was when my computer's old fan died.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2016
    Not really, no. The only time I get frequent crashes is when I'm in build or buy mode for long periods of time (I'm talking hours and hours -- I'm very particular), but I just save frequently during building and decorating. When I'm in live mode my game almost never crashes. The only mods I have are the Nraas mods and I use very little CC, so that probably helps a lot.

My Specs:

Processor: i7 6700HQ 2.6-3.5Ghz
    Ram: 16gb
    GPU: Nvidia 960m
    Hard Drive: 1 TB 5200RPM mechnical drive, 128GB SSD
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2016
    After 5-6 hours and it's the game hitting max ram limit every time. The way to avoid this is to quit then relaunch the game before it gets to that point but I'm lazy.

I use mods + CC and the worlds I play in can get pretty stuffed with sims and content but I don't play in huge worlds. PC specs in siggy. I built this computer with other games in mind so it's overkill for sims.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I've only had my game crash while traveling (not always with every travel, it just got grumpy one day, and I couldn't travel no matter what), but I haven't even had that crashing since installing traveler mod.

I have had a random crash here or there over the course of owning the game (since release) and I use to be in the habit of saving frequently just because I wouldn't want to lose all that progress just on case the game decided to derpy out. But I think I've gotten too comfortable with my game not crashing, I only save now right before I exit.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2016
    Years ago I played on a very cheap emachine desktop. They stopped making them but the brand was known for being bottom line cheap. In no way shape or form meant for gaming. I can't remember how often it crashed on me if at all and I never got error 12 surprisingly. Wish I knew the specs because that thing was trash regardless.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    ShareeSharee Posts: 242 Member
    The sims 3 almost never crashes for me. ive been playing it like 6 hours a day for the last month and a half with 0 crashes and only a few visual bugs.
    Even before i got my super fast computer i never had issues with crashes often.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    @GaiaHypothesis - The weak spot there is your graphics card. That one is generally considered not strong enough to carry any of the EPs that were released beyond WA (the first one) with any degree of reliability. That doesn't mean the later ones won't run at all, but they should be expected to glitch and freeze up on you, I'm afraid.

That you are getting much better performance than that is actually impressive. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    On my old rig, only crashed if I messed around in CAS for a long time, which I bet was it running out of ram.

Now I pace my CAS, and my new rig hasn't had a crash yet.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    I used to get Error 12 and CTDs a lot. Now I can't remember the last time I had something like that thankfully. Probably the main thing I did was clean up the size of my town. I only usually play for a few hours maximum and safe often, especially after CAS. If I played for any longer I probably would start getting errors again. My specs I don't think are that great either but I play with all settings highest except for water and high detail lots.

Processor: i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40Ghz
    RAM: 32 GB and 3TB HDD
    GPU: nvidia GeForce GT 630
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    Sometimes I crash more often than I should. I'm probably not as careful as I COULD be on CC, but I try. One thing that helps my game run better/crash less, is using the clear cache option on CC magic, and the rebuild process fixes the odd issue like materializing materials some CAP patterns can cause.
  • Options
    Randomness000Randomness000 Posts: 125 Member
    My game has not crashed once yet(this computer is only a few months old though), even on my old PC where the game would literally freeze every couple of minutes and stay that way for like 20 seconds, it only really crashed in CAS and that was rarely and towards the end of it's life.
    fGRb4d2.gif
  • Options
    EisbergsEnteEisbergsEnte Posts: 146 Member
    edited September 2016
    Does your Sims 3 game crash a lot?

When I first installed TS3 in 2012, it crashed alot. It was my first Sims game, and I had no idea what to do.

Nowadays, it never crashes, thanks to the amazing NRAAS mods that keep it running. ^^
    Plus, I delete the cache files after every gaming session. It helps alot. :)
    QNWOqEZ.jpg
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    On my previous computer, about the time University Life was released or so, I would get error 12 a lot. I don't remember what all I had except I do remember it had 2GB Ram.

I've not seen it on this computer and I don't expect to. I've been playing the same save for about a year now and the save file is still really small despite that. Save cleaner and smarter use of mods to the rescue. And a better computer these days. It's a few years old now but it's more than enough for what I need. Except maybe someday a better graphics card? I don't know, really happy with what I have now.

i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, Turbo boost to 4.4GHz
    16 GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
  • Options
    katiej14katiej14 Posts: 8 New Member
    I have a custom built computer, and I've recently (within the last two or three months) have been experiencing horrible game-play. I haven't had issues that often, but before the last couple of days, my game would crash every 30 minutes. Now, it's crashing whenever I try to go to live mode from buy/build mode. I'm so upset, because I just want to play. I have cc, but it's all clean. I also have mods, but they're all up to date and none of them clash. Please...if anyone has any ideas, any help would be appreciated. I'm at a loss.
  • Options
    texanskytexansky Posts: 1,347 Member
    My hubby and I build our own computers. Currently, my tower PC contains the following:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 (6-Core) 3.5GHz
    RAM: 16GB
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB video RAM
    Hard Drive: SSD Drive

I've been playing Sims 3 since November 2015. I run the game through Origin and updated to 1.69 and have had few problems with my game. I've never gotten an error 12, but I did have a 7th generation legacy game that took over 10 minutes to load, and finally stopped loading. So I packed up the family and moved them to Glenvale County.

I've had maybe 3 or 4 times where it's crashed to desktop and that's been from a bad save. If I go back to a previous save, the problem goes away.

Currently, I've got all of my display setting in game to full. The only time I experience a bit of lag is when my NRAAS mods are running maintenance on the game (about 1 am and 3 am).

I have more problems with being unable to log into the launcher so I can download and install store content. I'm constantly having to clear my browser history on Internet Explorer and sometimes jump through hoops when that happens.

I didn't have any problems with The Sims 3 when I upgraded to Windows 10.
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    coco wrote: »
    My specs I don't think are that great either but I play with all settings highest except for water and high detail lots.

Processor: i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40Ghz
    RAM: 32 GB and 3TB HDD
    GPU: nvidia GeForce GT 630

Uhm.... you're joking right? You've got an i7 with 32 GB of ram, and you don't think its that great?

I have an i3-2130 with 6 GB of ram. I'm getting an i7-2600 with 8 GB next week. Its the best I can put in my HP I bought in 2012.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    Not that much, and I can play my pretty good looking game without huge problems. Sometimes, though. When I'm playign in a big world for already a long while and doing lots of doings with a big lot with lots of sims, there's a danger and I'm very careful.
  • Options
    baturhulyabaturhulya Posts: 198 Member
    @katiej14 it's frustrating that you can't play when you wan't to.If you read the guide about how to post in help forums written by Crinrict,and post your problem there,i hope that you get an accurate answer.Wish you luck :)
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    @GaiaHypothesis - The weak spot there is your graphics card. That one is generally considered not strong enough to carry any of the EPs that were released beyond WA (the first one) with any degree of reliability. That doesn't mean the later ones won't run at all, but they should be expected to glitch and freeze up on you, I'm afraid.

That you are getting much better performance than that is actually impressive. :)

@igazor Nope no issues. <shrugs> I don't question it. My game is run on good wishes and rubber bands. I'll take it as long as it lasts.
    Studio
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    No, hardly ever. It does sometimes in building mode, that's why I always save my houses while building and decorating.
    5JZ57S6.png