Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who's still playing the Sims 1 from time to time?

Comments

• SelSel Posts: 430 Member
    yeah but sims 3 is really nothing like the other games (technology-wise) :D the only other game where i'd worry about heat or anything like that is ts4, but with 2 and 1 you're pretty much safe no matter how long you play :smiley:
    (the sims 1 literally has lower specs than origin itself.. :D)
    but yeah it's always good when you're going for more than recommended :)
    Origin ID: Selxna
  • simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    @SPARKY1922 I agree with @Sel about that, pretty much anything you buy laptop-wise now should be okay with Sims 1. I'm using one of these and it works just fine with no excessive heat and no lag:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BLJ2S6M/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
    And that has a Celeron, which is about the worse CPU you can get! :D I'm running Windows 10 on that but I run the game through DXWnd, which has come in very handy for a number of older games I play (helps me to run them in the resolution and format that I like):
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Sel and @simsample

LOL because I come from 3 with a world of hurt and learning experience please forgive me for being overly cautious :)

I have e-mailed those links to my tech in an attempt to try and make him understand-) I am still testing all my mods and CC in 2 and earlier today I was just enjoying 2 game-play so much in its natural state I got sidelined from what I was doing and then laughed because playing and enjoying the game is what I am supposed to be doing rather then fixing something all the time :)

SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    LOL because I come from 3 with a world of hurt and learning experience
    I am still testing all my mods and CC in 2 and earlier today I was just enjoying 2 game-play so much in its natural state I got sidelined from what I was doing and then laughed because playing and enjoying the game is what I am supposed to be doing rather then fixing something all the time :)

Omg yes, I totally understand that's how it used to be for me! :D Now I've just always kept a really close eye on all my CC and sorted my folders a billion times, now everything works and I can just enjoy the games! :D
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I love the original sims! I still play, usually once a week!
    @simsample

I just took a look at the link you forwarded me for DxWnd and I am not completely understanding how it works is this something you specifically download and use with sims 1 and/or other sims series?

Once downloaded does it automatically run in every sims series of games or do you have to direct a specific sim series/game to play it through when you start up the game?

will it install/play on any OS 32/62 bit?

I generally worry about these sorts of things as sometimes I feel like I am spending all my time repairing games and trying to make them run properly rather than play so I am more wary about making mistakes but would certainly welcome something that truly assists :)
    simsample wrote: »
    @SPARKY1922
    Well I'm using a five year old Windows 7 PC for my sims games that I built, it has an Nvidia GTS 450 which was a modest card even back then! But it performs very well for the four Sims series, and I play SC4 and SC5 on there too. I would think that the blurry sims are more likely a problem with the way the Sims 1 is detecting or utilising your hardware, rather then a problem with the hardware itself. Someone had a similar problem over on MTS too:
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=5011753#post5011753
    Perhaps try some of the suggestions there if you get the same problem again- I found that the Sims 1 looks crisper when displayed in a 1024x768 window, rather than in fullscreen mode. Also, I use a screenshot program for my screenshots rather than the in-game cameras, which helps. :)

I have been looking into using a screenshot program just recently hoping to take better sims 2 in game screenshots but also with thoughts of doing the same re screenshots in 1 when I start playing that again soon, however after a quite thorough web search players appear to be complaining about Fraps causing game lag and there seems to be a lot of mention from players that they have to play in windowed mode which I don't want to do just to take a screenshot so am wondering yet again if you would mind steering me in the right direction/advice. Also as I have not used anything like this before it needs to be easy to understand and apply lol

I am assuming one program would work with every series of sims games 1-4 although after using a lighting mod in 3 I am quite happy with those screenshots and 4 well not really sure if that can be improved on lol
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Playing right now. I FINALLY got the rest of the EPs for it. Back when I got it in 2001. I didn't even know about expansions and only ever played it for what I got with it. ( Hot Date/HouseParty/Livin Large) Now I have the complete set. Just made a sim and put her in her house. Off to explore everything I never had back then!
  • PandaORosePandaORose Posts: 549 Member
    I want to soooo badly. Maybe in the future I'll get the game again :)
    2750512.gif~c200

@fullspiral

I am so envious of you being able to play right now lol I was getting excited today thinking I might get my laptop so I could install and play today however my bubble was burst when my techie emailed me saying expect laptop in 4-5 days :'(

any chance of some pics :)
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    haha. I have to remember how to get pics in S1. They are all very small! This is about the best one so far. I littered her front lawn with things to care for all the strays.

Baron_1_0003_zpsysjtzgzi.jpg
    just take screenshots with prntscreen... you have to paste them in paint (or a similar program) manually but it's the "biggest" they get i think :D
    edited September 2016
    @fullspiral

small pic or not your graphics look fine I am crossing my fingers and hoping the problem I had with sim detail last time I tried to play will have gone away.. is caring for strays a job in 1 then?

I felt my graphics were okay when I first installed the game but not the sims

richmond_6_0004.jpgtemporary image hosting

could you take a pic of your sim and post it if you don't mind so I can make a comparison

@sel

could you recommend a screenshot program that will work with all series of sims in game pics and does not require windowed mode to take the screenshot as I have been looking for something to avoid only being able to take 1 pic at a time but online research re this is quite confusing.. especially as I have not used on before..

there are some great sims 1 pics on the following thread as well if your interested some of them are really funny..

http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=481212&c=1&ht=&page=1&pp=25#startcomment
    yeah i know it sucks that in the sims 2 the in-game camera is useless...
    i mean, i used to use bandicam for screenshots, but that got a little bit sketchy so i uninstalled it. worked great tho, idk if the issue was with the program or my computer at the time :$
    i guess the most legit one you could use is fraps, but idk like i said i uninstalled any of my screencapture programs and haven't had one since...
  • simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    @SPARKY1922

I just took a look at the link you forwarded me for DxWnd and I am not completely understanding how it works is this something you specifically download and use with sims 1 and/or other sims series?

Once downloaded does it automatically run in every sims series of games or do you have to direct a specific sim series/game to play it through when you start up the game?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/
    It's a 'hook' program which you run the game through; it's only really necessary for older games which have graphical problems with newer versions of Windows. For example- I play an older game through it which should be in fullscreen, but it would only work in a tiny window in the middle of my screen. So I hooked it up through DXWnd and can now play it fullscreen. For Sims 1 I was getting graphical errors and when I exited the game I would have to reboot Windows to get my UI effects to work again. But DXWnd solved those issues. You need to set it up and experiment to find the right settings for your hardware/software, and then run the game.

I have been looking into using a screenshot program just recently hoping to take better sims 2 in game screenshots but also with thoughts of doing the same re screenshots in 1 when I start playing that again soon, however after a quite thorough web search players appear to be complaining about Fraps causing game lag and there seems to be a lot of mention from players that they have to play in windowed mode which I don't want to do just to take a screenshot so am wondering yet again if you would mind steering me in the right direction/advice.
    I use this one:
    http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm
    It's easy to use, and you can control resolution, format, save location, hotkey... everything. I have mine set to save my images as JPGs. I can take screenshots in fullscreen or windowed mode- usually it just necessetates switching from 'active window' to 'full screen' in the settings.
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
    @simsample

Thank you so much for that extra info as always it is much appreciated. With your recent help I have a laptop in the post with similar specs to the one you detailed in another post to start playing 1 again and your wonderful hoods, pics and references to all 4 sims series inspire me to gain more knowledge about the games and try out some new ideas :)
    I was playing the Sims one yesterday. My Mortimer Goth is now a zombie. I had forgotten that could happen!
    Oh @Goldbear86

I am dying to play this game I don't know much about it at all yet but would never have believed there would be zombies in the first series :o
    @SPARKY1922 I had forgotten! And I've played since the beginning.nwhen it happened I was like: "What the heck?" Darn Grim Reaper. And they got burgled a few nights later. Love this game!
    @Goldbear86

I remember my feelings when I very first got 1 to work I was so fascinated but I know coming from 3 where I can practically ignore everything that's going on I suddenly started playing 2 for the first time and kept thinking what's going on there all the time and had to really pay more attention so my experience of going backwards in sims series is they get harder to play and I have no doubt that's going to happen with 1 :)

Everyone seems to say its so hard just to keep a sim alive so I will be looking for ways to try get around that one because I will be wanting to play a sim long term to learn everything I can about the game, also I hear kids don't grow up? I cannot quite imagine that either... oh and the pics of that creepy clown moping about a sims bedroom I really want to avoid that if I can its so freaky... :)
    edited September 2016
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    @SPARKY1922 I had forgotten! And I've played since the beginning.nwhen it happened I was like: "What the heck?" Darn Grim Reaper. And they got burgled a few nights later. Love this game!

i always make so much money from burglars, i have alarms everywhere! :D
    Everyone seems to say its so hard just to keep a sim alive so I will be looking for ways to try get around that one because I will be wanting to play a sim long term to learn everything I can about the game, also I hear kids don't grow up? I cannot quite imagine that either... oh and the pics of that creepy clown moping about a sims bedroom I really want to avoid that if I can its so freaky... :)

Yeah I always heard they die really fast, and I watched TheSimSupply's Sims 1 let's play and his sim died there too lmao! But mine never did (at least not yet...) I think as long as you're quick to react to fires and don't let them in the pool without a ladder, things should be pretty easy to manage :D

And yeah no one ages up naturally. If you want a multi-generational family, you can always age up the kids with the charm from Makin Magic and kill the parents in some other way :D (But be warned, kids' appearances are created randomly so they might look "ugly" or nothing like the parent!)

Also, I believe the Tragic Clown only shows up when you have the painting in your house, so if you don't want him there he shouldn't come.. :smiley:
    @Sel

Thanks for the extra info I did not realize there was an aging up spell for kids at least there is a choice-)
    I am glad you mentioned the clown pic I had no idea the visits were due to that either and I am just searching for you tube videos on 1 as well :)
    @Goldbear86

I remember my feelings when I very first got 1 to work I was so fascinated but I know coming from 3 where I can practically ignore everything that's going on I suddenly started playing 2 for the first time and kept thinking what's going on there all the time and had to really pay more attention so my experience of going backwards in sims series is they get harder to play and I have no doubt that's going to happen with 1 :)

The Sims 1 is definitely the hardest, but it has the most charm I think. When Mortimer became a zombie in my game, it was because he died in a house fire but when Bella pleaded with the Grim Reaper Mortimer became a goth. While this was going on the baby they had was screaming in the background, Bella was too upset as she thought Mortimer was dying and Cassandra was panicking. The baby was then removed by the Social worker for neglect.
    Due to all this everyone's needs were really low, Mortimer refused to go to work as he was sad, Bella refused to look for a job and the Tragic clown showed up as the atmosphere was so bad in the house. Getting rid of him was a pain without resorting to deleting his picture!
    @Goldbear86

hahaha lol all that drama going on and the social worker turns up in the middle of it all and nicks the baby-) Can they get the baby back if that happens?

I suppose at least Mortimer is alive but I know for sure now I know how I can avoid the tragic clown by not using the picture I will be doing that because I find that clown truly creepy especially when it's in a sim bedroom lol

I am so pleased you are enjoying the game but suspect now I will not be getting my laptop to play 1 on now until after the weekend as I have not received and email from my of my tech today about it so I am grateful to hear your stories it will keep me going :)
    No if the baby is removed, thats it they are gone, it's the same if children are sent to military school for failing grades. I find the clown creepy but he is funny. The sims 4 tragic clown doesn't hold a torch to him.

There's always drama in the sims 1, I was thinking that recently when I was fed up of the sims 4 and had went back to 1 for a little bit. All of what I described happened in a sims 48 hours.

Graphically it may not look the best but for me graphics don't make the game. I love the charm of the first one, I love their personalities and yes I think they had emotions. After Mortimer almost kicked the bucket and the baby was gone, the house was miserable for days. I really wish the sims 4 emotions were more fleshed out like that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top