Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Art Commune Reading Circle

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    I really enjoyed your latest chapter, @JLBDreamer ! I feel that happy buzz about getting into this story! I love your prose and your plots.

How's everyone doing? Busy times? I'm a little busy, then once I adjust to being busier, I'm suddenly not as busy! So, I have a feeling this will be a year of enjoying rhythms for me--sometimes when I need to knuckle down and work hard, and sometimes when it's slower. So, I'm letting myself really relish the slower moments!

It's looking like I'll be taking a longer break from Three Rivers than I had originally thought. I've been playing my TS3 ISBI lately, and it's really got me engaged! I love the TS3 gameplay! I think I've played about 5-7 chapters ahead, so I'll need to get writing so I can play again!

Anyway, if you're interested in following that story, it's called "Whisper," and its TOC is here: https://cathytea.wordpress.com/whisper/

It's game- and Sim-driven, told in present-tense first-person (at least for gen 1) with occasional whispers from the Inner Voice. I'm enjoying seeing what themes TS3 whips up for me to explore! Really love the TS3 visual style and very much enjoying the TS3 game-play again!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    @CathyTea

I'm...around for the most part. (Lately I've been obsessed with Stardew Valley)

Lately I'm trying to get past the "It'll end soon anyway, quit dragging your feet!" part for writing Chronicles. :/
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
    rednenemon wrote: »
    @CathyTea

Lately I'm trying to get past the "It'll end soon anyway, quit dragging your feet!" part for writing Chronicles. :/

I'd been reading your posts on the Lounge about Stardew Valley, and I don't know anything about it, so I googled it just now and found this very cool site/blog for it with a cool post by the developer, who sounds like a very endearing person, http://stardewvalley.net/

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    rednenemon wrote: »
    @CathyTea

I'd been reading your posts on the Lounge about Stardew Valley, and I don't know anything about it, so I googled it just now and found this very cool site/blog for it with a cool post by the developer, who sounds like a very endearing person, http://stardewvalley.net/

stardew valley is coming to wii u so i might have to check it out.
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    I'm soon about to be busy, I think. My school starts at the beginning of September with an intensive course and after that it's six weeks of practical training at some kindergarten. Also my minor will take up a lot of my evenings after that. :( (the sad face is mostly because the busy evenings also mean I can't be nearly as much involved with our university's theatre as I'd want). But right now I've been on a writing binge and I had like four chapters for Tango written and screenshotted before I decided that for pacing and other reasons, I'm not going to publish those yet and instead I'm writing more chapters that'll take place before those. So the good news is that I'll have a chapter buffer once my school starts, maybe? Bad news is, I feel like I'm terrible at creating a plot (again). I try to remind myself that my pacing is okay when taken to account that Tango is supposed to be paced like a TV-series. I think. Ugh.

As for reading, I'm still caught up with everything so I just started reading your ISBI, @CathyTea. :)
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
    I'm soon about to be busy, I think. My school starts at the beginning of September with an intensive course and after that it's six weeks of practical training at some kindergarten. Also my minor will take up a lot of my evenings after that. :( (the sad face is mostly because the busy evenings also mean I can't be nearly as much involved with our university's theatre as I'd want). But right now I've been on a writing binge and I had like four chapters for Tango written and screenshotted before I decided that for pacing and other reasons, I'm not going to publish those yet and instead I'm writing more chapters that'll take place before those. So the good news is that I'll have a chapter buffer once my school starts, maybe? Bad news is, I feel like I'm terrible at creating a plot (again). I try to remind myself that my pacing is okay when taken to account that Tango is supposed to be paced like a TV-series. I think. Ugh.

As for reading, I'm still caught up with everything so I just started reading your ISBI, @CathyTea. :)

what are you studying?
    edited August 2016

what are you studying?

Early childhood education. I'm going to be a kindergarten teacher.
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)

what are you studying?

i was going to be a teacher. then i hated one of my teachers for the degree and gave up.

what are you studying?

i was going to be a teacher. then i hated one of my teachers for the degree and gave up.

Aaw, that stinks. :( Sometimes not getting along with just one person can indeed ruin the whole experience. But I hope you found something else you want to do. :)

I'm actually not sure if I want to work in a kindergarten forever, but I want to teach kids somewhere that isn't a school.
    My Sims stories:

what are you studying?

Aaw, that stinks. :( Sometimes not getting along with just one person can indeed ruin the whole experience. But I hope you found something else you want to do. :)

I'm actually not sure if I want to work in a kindergarten forever, but I want to teach kids somewhere that isn't a school.

online kidergaten lol.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Hi all, I just started my fifth class in my graduate program, and I already know I'll like this one better than the last. The professor is a lot clearer about expectations and assignments and I like the topic better.

I also just started my new job last weekend working as an information and communications manager for a local nonprofit and I'm already loving it. It's been a bit of hours trying to caught up and through training, but I sent out my first company-wide newsletter today, which is saying something since I just finished training on the website yesterday. The previous manager has been great in working with me long-distance to get me caught up. I am excited to blend my communications degree from undergrad with my current nonprofit management and leadership masters program. This does, however, mean busier season for me so I won't be online or writing (well, probably more like posting) quite as much. Once I get settled, I should have a pretty manageable rhythm so within the month, I'm hoping.

I am hoping to get some backstory stuff on Kass set up like her year on the road with her dad and the crossover with Gage's story so I can continue with KFLL (because there's some necessary backstory).

Speaking of Kass, her segment between KCLKF and KFLL currently only has 1 post and is on my Simblr. I'm wanting to redo it and start fresh and include chapters from that time. Two questions... first of all, My Year on the Road seems like a dumb title to me and I'd like to rename it... any thoughts? Second, should I post these chapters on my Kass blog, my other Livin'a'Simmin'Life blog, or keep them on Tumblr? Preferences?

As for reading, I am way behind everyone. I'll try and catch up soon in the next few weeks.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    So I guess we're all giving life updates here?

Still looking for a job, but there is one promising lead at an unnamed major university. It's easily accessible by train and the pay is...better than I was aiming for. Send your good vibes to [ADDRESS REDACTED] today!

For anyone waiting for more Chains of Lyra...you ever get a story idea that sells itself almost entirely on one climactic event and not so much on the supporting material/buildup/etc? Because I know that was the mindset that lead me into Lyra. The idea of resurrecting a few of my old characters, especially Vega, sounded great on paper, but what got me to push forward with it was a chain of events towards the end. I'll get to introduce a new character who I love, tie it in hard to the Eight Cicadas universe, wrench some guts...and all I have to do is write a bunch of arcs building up to that. Which I have very little of planned. What else is on paper amounts to a rough outline of Vega's character development without too many events to actually bring her there.

Like, I know I'll probably power through it with some more thought, but I'm at a standstill right now and have been since last month or even before that (Chapter 3 was cobbled together only because it would've made Chapter 2 from a month earlier too long).

At least Eight Cicadas has a more charted map for me to follow. Still having some troubles getting to a certain Turning Point B/what will be Chapter 72, but I guess it'll happen.

Haven't been reading much, sorry.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr

what are you studying?

online kidergaten lol.
    :lol:

@AdamsEve1231 That sounds nice! Congrats on your new job! Also I personally don't like Tumblr so I'd prefer for as many of your stories as possible to be in the Livin'a'Simmin'Life blog or on Kass's story blog.

@InfraGreen Good vibes sent! Also yes, I've been there in regards of coming up with an event and being like "awesome! I want to do that!" and start the story, and then realise that there's SOOO much story to go before the event. It's sometimes definitely tedious to try to work out the rest of the story especially if one would like to hurry to the part that made the story feel like a great idea to begin with. Feel free to take as much time as you need with Lyra. :)
    My Sims stories:
    I wanted to wait until I got both "moon" chapters posted before putting links in here (you'll know why I refer to them as that when you read them)

Moondance
    Glittering Violet Moon
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    @RipuAncestor Thanks for your feedback. I prefer WP too.

@InfraGreen This is how tired I am. I attempted to respond atsignEightCicadas. Lol... subconscious brain wants to read more. Congrats on potential job on the horizon. Positive vibes coming your way!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I have a new Gage Briody chapter in my spinoff, From Riverview, With Love if anyone's interested.
    1.4 Not My Cup of Tea

screenshot-38.jpg?w=1075

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited November 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by JLBDreamer on
    I have a new Gage Briody chapter in my spinoff, From Riverview, With Love if anyone's interested.
    1.4 Not My Cup of Tea

screenshot-38.jpg?w=1075

I'm so excited for this!

JLBDreamer wrote: »
    Everyone sounds so busy. Thanks to all that managed to read my update. I'm still busy but will manage to get updates going again for a couple of weeks or so but since I just updated LHY I'll be waiting until later in September to update it.

Though my family stuff has slowed I'm taking advantage of the time to finally try and get my business up and getting some content up. Though I love Simlit I do plan to publish some comics and do some related fan-stuff in animation (which is my first love) so once its in place and my family issues are done I can be a little more sure of how regularly my updates will be posted. I guess its against the forum rules to say too much here about that but if you want to be put on my list to notify you of when my website and business pages go live as I do them message me.

Later!

Put me on your list for sure! My boyfriend and I want to do some comics/graphic novel kind of thing. (I guess it's more comic than graphic novel.) I feel like I need to ramp up my digital art skills a bit in order to be able to do it. And then... I'm not sure how to publish! So, I'll be really interested in following yours and learning any tips you have to share!

InfraGreen wrote: »
    So I guess we're all giving life updates here?

Still looking for a job, but there is one promising lead at an unnamed major university. It's easily accessible by train and the pay is...better than I was aiming for. Send your good vibes to [ADDRESS REDACTED] today!

For anyone waiting for more Chains of Lyra...you ever get a story idea that sells itself almost entirely on one climactic event and not so much on the supporting material/buildup/etc? Because I know that was the mindset that lead me into Lyra. The idea of resurrecting a few of my old characters, especially Vega, sounded great on paper, but what got me to push forward with it was a chain of events towards the end. I'll get to introduce a new character who I love, tie it in hard to the Eight Cicadas universe, wrench some guts...and all I have to do is write a bunch of arcs building up to that. Which I have very little of planned. What else is on paper amounts to a rough outline of Vega's character development without too many events to actually bring her there.

Like, I know I'll probably power through it with some more thought, but I'm at a standstill right now and have been since last month or even before that (Chapter 3 was cobbled together only because it would've made Chapter 2 from a month earlier too long).

At least Eight Cicadas has a more charted map for me to follow. Still having some troubles getting to a certain Turning Point B/what will be Chapter 72, but I guess it'll happen.

Haven't been reading much, sorry.

Super best wishes to you for your job search. That lead sounds really great. I hope that it directs you to something that works for you and provides an outlet for you to share your amazing gifts and talents.

Everyone sounds so busy. Thanks to all that managed to read my update. I'm still busy but will manage to get updates going again for a couple of weeks or so but since I just updated LHY I'll be waiting until later in September to update it.

Though my family stuff has slowed I'm taking advantage of the time to finally try and get my business up and getting some content up. Though I love Simlit I do plan to publish some comics and do some related fan-stuff in animation (which is my first love) so once its in place and my family issues are done I can be a little more sure of how regularly my updates will be posted. I guess its against the forum rules to say too much here about that but if you want to be put on my list to notify you of when my website and business pages go live as I do them message me.

Later!

I'm intrigued. ;)

Anywho, I updated again...I think it was yesterday? (I think the humidity is getting to me...) So here you go, if you haven't checked it already:

To Carry A Heavy Yoke
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited November 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by JLBDreamer on
    @CathyTea I've had to do a lot of time on market research and taken a course to figure out how to adapt everything and think I've figured out a pretty good model. Online is where to market art but its such a niche thing there are no specifically tailored courses out there so I'm actually considering selling a packet/course for artists so they don't have to slog through what I have so maybe you can help me put it together better? I need to get my stuff up and running first though.

Very cool! I would love to be involved with this! Let's check back in with each other as we get closer to the time!

We've been talking about online relationships at the Kindness Bench (sort of a spill-over from a confession I made in answer to one of @AdamsEve1231 's questions for the Sunshine Blogger award, dealing with challenges related to SimLit), and through the conversation, I've realized that I view all of you as good online friends!

I trust each of you a lot, and I understand about being busy, having responsibilities, and also having personal reasons for limiting online involvement now and then, so I never feel uncomfortable if any of you slow down with reading, stop reading, or take time away from here.

I also feel welcome here, and that each of us are welcome and valued here. It's a great group to be involved with--thank you! :)

CathyTea wrote: »
    We've been talking about online relationships at the Kindness Bench (sort of a spill-over from a confession I made in answer to one of @AdamsEve1231 's questions for the Sunshine Blogger award, dealing with challenges related to SimLit), and through the conversation, I've realized that I view all of you as good online friends!

I trust each of you a lot, and I understand about being busy, having responsibilities, and also having personal reasons for limiting online involvement now and then, so I never feel uncomfortable if any of you slow down with reading, stop reading, or take time away from here.

I also feel welcome here, and that each of us are welcome and valued here. It's a great group to be involved with--thank you! :)

Ditto! Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest