Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Random Reading Roundabout

Comments

• sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    @mastressalita - I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to. It's like the call to find CC pulls you in and you can't resist the urge. LOL! I totally understand what you mean there. :)

Awww, I bet your sister has some beautiful fairies in her collection and you've got some gorgeous mermaids. :) I used to collect unicorns (I haven't done that for a while), and my husband made me a stained glass unicorn for Christmas when we were dating. :) Oh, you should pick her up a fairy coloring book. There are some really beautiful ones.

Oh, that's good to hear. :) I kinda got a bit sidetracked so need to finish up the Sims for you. I'll definitely e-mail you the info and the sim files. Do you want the couples or just the ladies? Glad I've got a bit of time to work on this. My CAS runs pretty slow with all the content I have, so adjusting/making Sims takes some time to accomplish.
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    @sweetnightingale : I collected unicorns when I was younger! I still have them too. I should take a picture sometime.

I'm fine with either, couples or ladies. Whatever you prefer! (And my CAS is slow too. When I make new Sims for a new story like SSC, it can take me all day because I'm so indecisive going through all the options... and I don't even have all the EPs and SPs yet! Granted I do have a ton of cc...)
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
    @mastressalita - Yep, that was definitely me. :) I still love unicorns but just haven't collected any lately.

Great! :) I'll probably go ahead and send you the couples then but in Sim format rather than household. I'll just remind you of who is whith who and will likely just put everyone in base game or LN hair/clothes. I'll send you pics of what they looked like with CC so you can put whatever on them from your own stash that you feel is necessary.

Yeah, I can relate to being indecisive. I own all the EP's, SP's, 99% of the Sims 3 Store, AND I have CC out the wazoo. It gets nuts. The saying is true about having so many choices that it makes it even harder to decide. LOL!
  • TwiggyTwiggy Posts: 995 Member
    para papa, para papa and more of em drumrolls, please hehe

I come bearing my latest two updates in which the heir of generation two is chosen. I feel such a sense of accomplishment for finishing this first generation. :smiley: whew, onto the other 8 or so lol

edited August 2016
    Hi, there! How are you? @sweetnightingale @lisabee2 @cuddles5427 @writtenfae and @mastressalita

Another weekend, another coffee corner. ;) Here all is well. The weather is hot, the bf is no longer burdened by cast around his ankle and we finally hope to enjoy some proper vacation time in the next weeks. Yay!

79a4-a53a-4a50-a251-cd88a7dffd7b.jpeg

I have enjoyed your musical legacy As Tears Bo By over the last week @sweetnightingale I've commented on your blog but I'm afraid not all my messages have gotten through. Silly me, by the time I noticed what I was doing wrong, I was already halfway in the existing chapters. So I'll recap here what this story tells me.

First off, Debbie is a real hands-on kinda woman. I like that. Although sometimes she does fall for the obvious, when push comes to shove, she seems tot know what she wants. I think it's brave of her for sticking it out in Aurora Skies. Some content was quite shocking / sensitive but I think you conveyed it very well with the accompanying caps. And although sad enough sometimes, the story is true to life.

About this particular challenge I wonder, besides choosing a song for every generation, are there many more rules your challenge adheres to? I know you say you don't follow the traditional legacy exactly but are there general rules you are following? Is this a challenge where you keep a scoring of some sort?

The musical legacy is a nice variation on the traditional legacy. I think the chosen song so far works really well with the story of Debbie Evans. Does the meaning of the song or say its lyrics play a crucial part in the story itself too (throughout the challenge)? And will you continue to do this for the future generations with choosing their song? How do you choose a song for the next generation?

Those are the first questions popping in mind. I'll give it some more thought though :) I'm looking forward to your answers.
    Happy Caturday, everyone!

cat_ban_l.jpg

Shadow is entered in a Best in Show competition. He takes it about as well as one would expect.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Happy Caturday, everyone!

cat_ban_l.jpg

Shadow is entered in a Best in Show competition. He takes it about as well as one would expect.

Great! A shadowy update teehee :) And that's an awesome banner, Sara!
    @mastressalita - Yay, another Shadow Kitty update. :) BTW, still working on those Sims for you that you need.

@Twiggy - So glad everything is getting better at your end of things. :) I'm sure your BF is happy to get that cast off.

Gosh, these are some great questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

I did see a few comments from you and read where you were having trouble. I'm glad you were able to comment on the ones you did, as I always love seeing comments on my blogs. I do know that for some reason, commenting from a WordPress account on a Blogger blog won't work; they're incompatible for whatever reason. I wish they weren't since so many people stay logged in to their Wordpress accounts.

I'm glad you've been enjoying the story and that you like Debbie. Unfortunately, yes, she did fall for the obvious. With everything she went through and the fact that she was so lonely, she was vulnerable to Simon's charms. I do believe he cared for her in his own way, but being her boss, he should have stopped things from going as far as they did if she couldn't. They got themselves into a world of trouble.

Debbie is very much a hands-on woman who knows what she wants most of the time. She doesn't believe in running away from problems, and this is why she's sticking it out in Aurora Skies, although things are precarious for her right now. She feels that if she runs away and moves elsewhere, it's teaching her son to skirt issues, and that's now how she wants her son to grow up.

The story may end up having some fantasy elements later on since I won't disregard Supernaturals. I wanted to start it out as a more "true to life" story since the others I'm writing are definitely full of fantasy and supernaturals. Things evolve, although I still do want to keep some realistic type events happening. It was very sad at times and I definitely had some sensitive issues going on. I know I could have made it a LOT darker but since I was starting out in the SimLit community when I began that story, I felt it was better to tame it down to some degree, although it's certainly not for a Disney loving audience. LOL!

Now, onto the Musical part, which I love to talk about. :)

This story actually started out as being an entirely different kind of legacy. I won't go into details, but the community I began writing the story for is no longer a part of my life. Due to some unpleasant happenings, I decided to break away and change the focus for my stories. After leaving this community, I racked my brain for a type of legacy that was unique and something from my own creation. Since I'm a singer, I decided to let music play a huge part in this story. The groundwork was already laid since Debbie often played and sang "As Tears Go By" when she needed some comfort. And so, my Musical Legacy was born.

As to any other rules, this legacy is very free-form. I'm kinda wishy-washy when it comes to sticking to strict rules and I don't want to be held down by rules when it comes to writing the story. I like to tell the story the way *I* want to tell it and sometimes a bunch of rules can dampen the creative process, IMO. it will be a 10-generational legacy with each generation having its own distinct story. I don't really do a scoring system since I'm really bad at keeping track of dishing out points for whatever accomplishments. I get so involved in playing that I tend to forget about scoring. LOL!

Actually, none of my legacies are of the typical legacy, meaning, I didn't start my stories where my founder lived on an empty lot. They always had a house, albeit a small one and such, but no empty lots. I used to do a Legacy Challenge LP on my Youtube Channel, and that Sim started off on an empty lot; that LP was more of the traditional legacy.

"As Tears Go By" does have special meaning for Debbie, as it's her favorite song. She feels it describes her life because she was so busy with her ambitious goals that so many other things passed her by. She had a lot of time to reflect after events led to her divorce and her life changed. This song will likely be used throughout all the generations in one way or another (I happen to love the song myself), but each generation will have its own song. When I choose a song for the next generation, I try to keep in mind the heir's personality and the story I have in mind for them. Also, I want to choose something totally different than the previous generation. Choosing the song, itself, is super hard because there are SO many songs out there that I'd love to use. Sometimes the song will be merely a favorite, or it can be the backbone of that generation's story. I might even base the story, itself, on the song I choose. The possibilities are endless, really.

I hope that answers your questions. :) If you have any more, don't hesitate to shoot them my way.
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    I am sorry this weekend has been hectic .. I had already read you story @sweetnightingale and I enjoyed it so much. Debbie sure has her hands full with her own bad choices and the bad choices of others ... I am glad she is feeling lifted by her son and of course we have high hopes for the relationship with Terrill.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    So we are reading https://blackmoorefamilylegacy.wordpress.com/chapters/ 25 - 50 by @writtenfae this week? Glad to still be caught up because it has been crazy :)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    Thank you for those insightful answers, Sharon!

@lisabee2 Yes, this weekend the Blackmoore Legacy will receive some love. We are finishing generation one with this read indeed :smiley:
    I've just updated the second post accordingly.
    @lisabee2 - Thank you so much. :) I'm so glad you enjoyed my story so much. I always have fun writing it and Debbie deserves some happiness after everything she's gone through. I'm sure her luck is turning around and we certainly hope Terrill will be part of that.

@Twiggy - You're very welcome. :) Thank you for asking such thoughtful questions.

Looks like I'll have quite a bit of reading to do to get caught up for Sunday's discussion. I'm looking foreard to some relaxing reading time, as RL has been quite hectic recently.
    Hey, hope you're having a fun-filled weekend chopped with laughter and happy simmin' :)

Just a reminder here to drop any questions you have on the second part of the first generation of the Blackmoore Legacy by writtenfae in a comment here.

@writtenfae I haven't seen you in here for a while. Are you still around? I must honestly admit I haven't yet read through all the chapters myself so I will withhold myself from asking any questions now where answers might be revealed later on. I hope you're available for any questions the other members might pitch in, though?
    I see things are pretty slow here, which seems to be the case in other circled as well. I guess everyone is busy this time of year. I hope everyone is doing well and are keeping cool and dry (lots of heat and rain here).

I'll have to think up some questions for the discussion but it probably won't be until tomorrow or later this evening. We're going to be out this afternoon and it's an hour's drive one way. I'll do my best though and yeah, I sure hope @writtenfae is still around.

Have a great Sunday, everyone. :)
    edited August 2016
    Same weather here, dear Sharon! We've managed to enjoy a couple days here by the lake last week, though, so I'm happy. Nothing better to fill my heart with warmth then seeing those little menaces have fun ;) (That also kept me from reading or writing this past week so I really have to catch up in the coming week hehe)

Speaking of which, I hope you enjoy(ed) a fun outing too, today! @sweetnightingale
    Hey there Circle friends! I've fallen a bit behind, but that's because between an increase in my migraines due to those fun "hormonal weeks" and trying to get my August Short Story done around them (I finally got it finished! It's up on my site, The Summer I Fell in Love), that I've just been working through my reading slowly (but surely). I'll also be gone the first week of September on vacation, so I'll probably be reading lisabee's first Snow and Prince story the following week (which is Cat Chronicles next week so that'll work out anyway).

@sweetnightingale : Well, I have (very belatedly) finished reading As Tears Go By. (Though to explain why it has taken so long, in addition to the typical migraine/mastress just being a busy person-ness, I was alternating each chapter with the prologue of the Forever in Time bachelor challenge... And, as you know, that is a bit of a long read... ^_~ )

I really enjoy Debbie. I immediately felt a strong liking to her right from the prologue when she knew right what she wanted in her life and wasn't going to settle for something else, and certainly wasn't going to let a partner push or bully her into something she doesn't want (and I have seen far, far, too many women do this). She reminded me a lot of my sister, who also has that sort of attitude, she knows what she wants and lays things out very bluntly and her partner always knows what they are in for. (Maybe that's why I felt such an affinity for her, because that part of her reminded her so much of that part of my sister?) I was only really sad when she blamed herself for the tragedy that happened to her concerning Shane, and didn't report it/seek medical attention... that said, it is quite realistic, as I know a lot of women in that situation do just that, and it disheartens me just as much (if not far worse). At least she refuses to keep herself in an abusive situation and /always/ sticks up for her child, and I cannot say that for some of the women I actually know (my sister knows plenty of women in abusive relationships, with kids, that just "won't go through with charges" and only break up temporarily only to continually go back to the dirtbags, raising said kids in an awful, hostile environment). Debbie has her moments of weakness but always comes out as the stronger person in the end, which is really admirable. I don't worry about Nate when he has a mother like that.

Having finally finished reading the prologue to Forever in Time as well (though I haven't managed to get any further yet!) I can see Shane really gets around! (It's mentioned there he had a past relationship with Lenora and Crystal). What is the timeline of these happenings? Did all that happen before he met and married Debbie, or sometime after? Then later Debbie mentions another run-in between him and Lenora which I can only assume happens later... I'd appreciate a little insight.

I'm also curious how you work out your character crossovers between stories. Do you have to be extra careful that all the storylines match up when you do that? Or do they sort of become alternate-universes? I suppose the easiest part of it is since they are your own Sims, you don't have to worry about characterization!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    edited August 2016
    Hi hi, how are you? I'm enjoying a couple days out of town, able to cherish the warm weather we've been having here recently.

If anyone has lingering questions about the selected chapters for this last week or Monstrous Mezilkree in general, feel free to drop em here

For anyone caught up already, here is my newest chapter, the first for gen. 1

Chapter 2.1 - The birds and the bees

@writtenfae I'm catching up on the Blackmoore Legacy and have found that when I leave a comment it doesn't appear on your blog. I suppose you have quite some spammessages by my hand in your spamfolder/filter :smiley:
    @Twiggy : I re-read Ch. 11-20 and left a few comments as they came to me on your Wordpress. I like to think of this bunch of chapters as the "Jade Arc" as they are really the part where she plays a very dominant role. Did you have your eyes on her especially for the Prettacy, or is that just how things happened to work out?

I'm at work this Saturday as it was my turn in our Saturday rotation (I'm technically at work right now... shhh!). Next weekend I will be out on vacation! (I'll be gone September 1-6)
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    edited August 2016
    Just finished my short story for the challenge .. and in the nick of time too!

https://lisabeesims.wordpress.com/2016/08/27/eleanor/

08-19-16_11-18-12nbspPM_zpsqrtuq1ua.jpg
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    edited August 2016
    @Twiggy : I re-read Ch. 11-20 and left a few comments as they came to me on your Wordpress. I like to think of this bunch of chapters as the "Jade Arc" as they are really the part where she plays a very dominant role. Did you have your eyes on her especially for the Prettacy, or is that just how things happened to work out?

I'm at work this Saturday as it was my turn in our Saturday rotation (I'm technically at work right now... shhh!). Next weekend I will be out on vacation! (I'll be gone September 1-6)

Ah, was just checking up on happenings there and saw your posts. Thank you for revisiting those chapters! <3

The Jade arc lol yes, that's defnitely one way to put it :) After my debacle with Judy and loosing that save I was racing to find a first baby momma. Jade was there at the perfect time and place. Though her aspiration and traits, incorporating these in the story was an absolute joy.

Edit: Great to hear you have some time off soon! Headed anywhere special on vacation?
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    Just finished my short story for the challenge .. and in the nick of time too!

https://lisabeesims.wordpress.com/2016/08/27/eleanor/

08-19-16_11-18-12nbspPM_zpsqrtuq1ua.jpg

Great! Am looking forward to reading it when voting comes. I've been thinking bout an entry but just haven't found the time and don't think I will. I do have an idea, though...
    Twiggy wrote: »
    Edit: Great to hear you have some time off soon! Headed anywhere special on vacation?

I'm going to visit my Dad, who moved to Washington (@lisabee2 's neck of the woods!) a few years ago. He lives on the other side of the bay from Seattle in a town called Kingston. I'm visiting him for Labor Day weekend, and we are going to three (!) Mariners baseball games at Safeco Field in Seattle!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    edited August 2016
    @mastressalita WHAT DAY are you going to the game?? I will be there sept 8th! Game against the rangers.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    @lisabee2 : I will be going to the game Friday the 2nd, Sunday the 4th and Monday the 5th (Labor Day). I'm pretty sure one of those games (maybe the Labor Day game?) is against the Rangers! But my flight home is on the 6th.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    @mastressalita That sounds awesome! I can imagine you having great fun with your father at those baseball games :smiley:

I've noticed messages on WordPress are not getting through on some pages, like yours @writtenfae and @lisabee2 There will be quite some older messages waiting in the spam box to approve, I suppose. Would you be so kind as to check? I naturally don't want you to think I only like your chapters and never comment on the ones I've read :'(