Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ask a Guru - Game Development Edition

Comments

• lejoninnalejoninna Posts: 4,287 Member
    @penelope huh? u can put relationship as brother and sister and married in CAS
  • XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    edited August 2016
    3) I believe you can ask whatever you want! And there is a whole section of the forums for suggestions. I probably wont' dive too deep into technical issues but you're always welcome to ask.

@SimGuruDrake Plz clarify this right here, you told us we are not allowed to ask about lifestages... - Answered
    Post edited by SimGuruDrake on
    tenor.gif
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2016
    Penelope wrote: »
    Just wanted to say PLEASE allow us to assign family relationships when we're making our families. I'd love to start off a couple as married, or as brother and sister, but it's impossible. Thanks.

No it isn't that's in the game, a button besides the voices bellow walkstyles I think. I wish we could set sims has boyfriend/girlfriend though.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited August 2016
    Question and suggestion :)

What happens to assets from older games no longer in development such as TS1, TS2, TS3? Do they go into some type of storage or archive?

Is it possible in future to have retirement and retail/restaurant positions listed in a sims career? Unemployed is a rather heavy status for a sim who's worked hard their whole life :D With regards to retail/restaurant sims, I'm referring to how hired staff would actually have a career in your store like in TS2. So if you played the staff who worked at your retail lot then their career would be "retail manager" or something like that as opposed to being unemployed.

Edit: so many typos trying to get this submitted before thread is closed again.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    Arletta wrote: »
    That is, to me at least, one scary looking list. I'm in awe of your organisational skills. I've actually been curious since you said the forums aren't the majority of your job. Just never thought I'd get the opportunity to ask.

In the same vein, with that scary looking list, what do you do in your down time?

Oh boy...well in my downtime I normally don't play too many games (at least now a days) but I will play things like Stardew Valley or Dark Cloud 2. I play TS4 a bit during the weekend but since I spend so much time with it during the week I like to decompress with other stuff like drawing illustrations, doing graphic design, playing around with coding websites, blogging, making youtube videos, cross stitching, reading, etc. I also LOVE watching Korean Dramas, they are probably my favorite thing to watch while I work on cross stitching or drawings.

Forgot to add: Pokemon is my go-to game (whether its Pokemon Go or one of the handheld games) if I just want to play something. My boyfriend jokes around that he will know if I've had a particularly stressful day if I start cross stitching and I finish more than two pieces before bed lol.

It's official, you're one of my new favourite people!

Couple more questions for you, swapping back to your job. I like follow up questions.

In your opinion, what are the easiest and hardest things about your job?

What is the most enjoyable thing about it?

Could you summerize what you do in five words?(can be more but five seemed a good number)

*unrelated* If you ever find a flavour of tea that you enjoy, will you recommend? I'm a bit of a tea-oholic and would enjoy recommendations, especially decaf.

I read somewhere that you're going on holiday. I hope you enjoy it.

• XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    Like others have asked, i would also like to know about the possibility of a CAW tool for TS4 or something like that.

Also...
    1. Any chance of getting a teen SP with items and clothes only teens can use?

2. What about a tag filter for ages, just like we have one for feminine and masculine? Some clothes are more appropriate for a certain lifestage than others.

3. Did anyone over the team ever wanted to do a remaster for TS2? Maybe it's something to consider for The Sims's 20th anniversary?
    tenor.gif
  • mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member
    How do you choose which EP's, GP's and SP's to add next, from all the available suggestions and ideas? What goes into the decision-making process? Is it possible to give an example from already released content?

There are a lot of factors that go into deciding what we're going to make. When we start talking about a new EP/GP/SP we consider the following things (this it not a comprehensive list but a good sketch of it)

What do our players need or want? What does the game need?
    What have we built for the Sims before? What worked or didn't work?
    What feedback are we hearing from players now? What did our surveys show?
    When will this pack be released? Should we aim for something summery for the summer season?
    What pack type will this be? An SP? GP? EP? Which size packs will the themes we might like fit into?
    What technology do we already have in the game that we could leverage?
    What new tech do we need to build next?
    Is there something cool we've always wanted to do that we could try in this pack? Is this the right time?
    Should we try a risky idea? Something new? Or something more expected?
    Is this something we've never done?

We brainstorm a lot and start filtering our ideas through these types of questions. Sometimes we have an idea we LOVE but it's too big for an SP and too small to fill a full EP but we already have a GP in the works. Sometimes we think of something that might be cool in an EP but we want to do something deeper with it like a GP.

As an example - we've always loved the idea of Camping. If we were to put "camping" in an SP, it would really only be a tent object and maybe a Firepit. That's not a full camping experience. In an EP, we'd want to support something more broad than just camping, something more like vacation where you could go to multiple places maybe, so we also wouldn't be able to do all the things that feel like camping. The GP size is perfect because we got to make the objects we wanted; build a single, new, small destination to visit; add collections; skills; a special lot and Hermit NPC and more. We got to make, what I feel, was a really nice, comprehensive camping pack. It wouldn't have been the same if we'd put it into an SP or EP.

I just have to say even though I don't really take my sims camping I love how my sims can sing campfire songs it's so cute how you all implemented that.
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    3) I believe you can ask whatever you want! And there is a whole section of the forums for suggestions. I probably wont' dive too deep into technical issues but you're always welcome to ask.

@SimGuruDrake Plz clarify this right here, you told us we are not allowed to ask about lifestages...

I've made it clear you aren't allowed to ask about lifestages or toddlers as we have nothing to comment about on those topics.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2016
    Question: why are the players allowed to view the worlds like this? Shouldn't there be a leash on the tab camera so that it doesn't go too far? Or does this freedom have a purpose?

wKxxmPS.png
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member
    I'm not sure if this has been asked yet so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate. I just wanted to put my wish out there to be able to hire a live in housekeeper and nanny. Or at least for them to stay until I dismiss them.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited August 2016
    This is a small thing, or I hope it is. Would it be possible to put the pigeons who are walking around in the park in debug so that we can place them around the bird houses and bird baths? I think they are in Windenburg.
  • Sampipe81Sampipe81 Posts: 19 Member
    Can we expect Cars, Bikes and other Vehicles in the near future?
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited August 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Question: why are the players allowed to view the worlds like this? Shouldn't there be a leash on the tab camera so that it doesn't go too far? Or does this freedom have a purpose?

wKxxmPS.png

When TS4 was first released, I don't think it was possible to view the world differently other than the default. Afterwards, due to request, they patched in a TS3-style camera view, which brought the ability to view the world from all different kinds of angles. I don't think the worlds were designed for that type of view in mind.
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    This is a small thing, or I hope it is. Would it be possible to put the pigeons who are walking around in the park in debug so that we can place them around the bird houses and bird baths?

I would love to have pigeons so I can make the bird lady of central park http://indulgy.com/post/7m26Ktmvm2/halnor-mank-bird-lady-of-central-park
  • fairymama47fairymama47 Posts: 180 Member
    will we ever be able to have a chef career inside of our own restaurant?
  • GreenondiniGreenondini Posts: 19 Member
    edited August 2016
    Hi, i would like to ask what PC's are used by developers to work and play on the sims. I don't mean just brand as I am more interested on specifications. Thank you

SGLyndsay: We have a really wide range of computers. We don't actually buy just one model or spec. Our testing team has even more variety because we want to try and catch any PC specific issues that we can.
    Post edited by SimGuruLyndsay on
  • kelvSimmers19kelvSimmers19 Posts: 2 New Member
    I wanna to know about the sims anniversary anything coming? <3
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited August 2016
    (@SimGuruDrake am I allowed to ask this?)

Do you think it would be technically possible/feasible to add new interactions or objects for the baby, or to be able to change its clothes ever?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top