Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ask a Guru - Game Development Edition

Comments

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Thank you @SimGuruDrake for this thread!

My question would be for any and all gurus. Which aspect of The Sims do you feel is the most integral to the series, and makes it what it is today?
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited August 2016
    Will expansion pack 3 be something totally new? Why can't parent of teens sims asked about ( how was school?) Because I never seen that option.
    Post edited by SimGuruDrake on
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    uzumo wrote: »
    Do you play The Sims 4?
    What is your favorite career in The Sims 4?

On that note, out of curiosity: do any of you still play TS2 or TS3? :D
  • smiley006smiley006 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited August 2016
    As a black simmer with long hair I feel there isn't enough hairstyles for us to choose from when creating a black sim. So my question is, would it be possible to add long or shoulder length hairstyle to the game? Right now the the only ones that we have to choose from is Afro and dreads.

Discussed Here
    Post edited by SimGuruLyndsay on
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    smiley006 wrote: »
    As a black simmer with long hair I feel there isn't enough hairstyles for us to choose from when creating a black sim. So my question is, would it be possible to add long or shoulder length hairstyle to the game? Right now the the only ones that we have to choose from is Afro and dreads.

That's base game, there are more with GT, Backyard Stuff etc.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Which animation are you most proud of/happy with and why?
    There are many little animations that are wonderful, I love the ones where sims really connect like in Spa Day for example with the hand massages.
    Who was responsible for the berating animation when a jealous sim tells off the significant other for talking to another sim? It's another of my favorites.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    edited August 2016
    Comment removed

I don't want to derail this thread so I will only answer this one time. I am a huge critic of this game. I don't love this game, and I think in every area there needs improvement, including communication. I have lost faith in EA and this series. I just don't believe in being hostile and shooting down simguru Drake's attempt to answer a fair question. If we want communication to keep open, then we can't have hostile people on here being nasty for no good reason. This is why threads that have a potential to open doors and mend fences are closed and we are left in the dark once again.

Sorry simguru Drake don't mean to derail this thread so I am out of here.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited August 2016
    Arletta wrote: »
    What is the other 95% of SimGuruDrake's job?

I'm surprised anyone wants to know about the other part of my job but here we go (gonna break it down into lists):
    • I handle engagement with the forums and am the backup for the AUS forums when staff are out of office.
    • I manage the moderation team (the SimStaff) to make sure that they are following my guidelines and have more "eyes" into other conversations in the forums.
    • I manage the SimGuru Program (which includes providing media training, updating engagement guidelines, and interviewing those individuals in studio who are interested in being in the program)
    • I work with our legal partners to make sure that everything we are doing via communications follows all legal guidelines
    • I work with our finance partners to make sure that everything we are doing via communications follows all finance guidelines
    • I work with our product marketing partners to make sure that any of the programs they want to introduce aligns with our community and communication strategies
    • I work with our liveops partners to report issues I see in the community that they should be aware of and help assist them to get the information they need to reproduce the issue
    • I talk with our producers to see how content that is in development is moving along and to raise any red flags I may see
    • I work with my communications team to make sure we are accurately covering all points of concern in our blogs / communications to you with regards to content we are announcing
    • I write up response messaging for our social engagement team to use when replying to questions that I think might pop up when we announce new content or a new feature
    • I plan community events (like Sims Camp) and handle all stuff from concept to final production of the event (working with my event partners to help secure stuff like PCs, seating, staffing, etc.)
    • I work with @SimGuruSteve producing live streams
    • I help to review screenshots / videos to make sure we showcase content as accurately as possible while still allowing the plumbob team to be creative
    • I manage relationships with influencers to help promotion of the product (i.e. securing interviews, early access codes to announce content, etc.)
    • I work with our international partners to make sure we are all aligned on community strategy
    • I manage the Snapchat and Instagram Stories channels
    • I help assist to get things like cool swag for events (like Girls who Code or Gamescom)
    • I assist as back up for both SimCity BuildIt and SimsFreeplay in the event their community people are out
    • I assist with engagement for other Maxis titles when need be (ex: informing when an update to the TS3 website is coming)
    • I help write up the FAQ that sits on our website
    • I assist with Maxis curation (Maxis Faves on the Gallery)

There are several other things I've probably forgotten that I do on a daily basis but that is roughly the gist of it. :)

That is, to me at least, one scary looking list. I'm in awe of your organisational skills. I've actually been curious since you said the forums aren't the majority of your job. Just never thought I'd get the opportunity to ask.

In the same vein, with that scary looking list, what do you do in your down time? - Answered

NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a delay when your sim gets invited out by a townie? For example my sim gets invited out for a date, currently I can only choose yes or no and the yes is an instant transport to the date. It wold be wonderful if we could delay that acceptance even for one sim hour, scheduling it would be even better.

I totally second that question, and not just for dates! It would be nice if besides just yes (now) or no (never), you could accept an invitation but choose to meet them at a later time. Is this something you'd consider adding?
  • bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    edited August 2016
    • I talk with our producers to see how content that is in development is moving along and to raise any red flags I may see

@SimGuruDrake I'm curious what you mean with "raise red flags" and how exactly does that work. I mean, I know what it means, but I'm interested to know how you come to the conclusion that something needs a red flag to be raised. Specially considering you keep telling us that "just because we (on the forums) don't like a certain content, doesn't mean other people won't". So, how do you decide and how much power do you actually have to change the producers mind? And I'm not sure if it's possible, but I was wondering if you can give an example of something that has been released already but you had to give your input on why you think that something would upset the fans?
  • GabrielROnlineGabrielROnline Posts: 2 New Member
    Is it possible to make other types of stairs like spiral staircase!!!! It would save me a lot of space in the house!!!!
  • jotajejejotajeje Posts: 162 Member
    How many paid packs are you working now? Do you work in more than an expansion pack at the same time?
  • uzumouzumo Posts: 1,836 Member

Why do the two wines look the same? red nectar blend and soft shadow avornalino
    Also, why is the yellow wine called white nectar blend when it is actually yellow? That's what I don't understand. It should be called yellow nectar blend.

TS4_x64-2016-06-05-20-54-28-40_zpsflxx4orq.png
  • RoffRoff Posts: 124 Member
    edited August 2016
    @SimGuruDrake

Any chance to launch a Create-a-World Tool?

You realized the Landgraab's home is facing the wrong way on the map? Any chance to fix it?

Is possible to increase character limit of Sims last name? Brazilians can not edit Landgraabs in CAS because the word in portuguese has more than 14 characters.

Would be possible keep the hospital, the police station and the laboratory on the map, even if we can not visit them normally?
    Roff wrote: »

You realized the Landgraab's home is facing the wrong way on the map? Any chance to fix it?

Is possible to increase character limit of Sims last name? Brazilians can not edit Landgraabs in CAS because the word in portuguese has more than 14 characters.

Would be possible keep the hospital, the police station and the laboratory on the map, even if we can not visit them normally?

I'm just wondering, can't you click on the "edit lot" tool (or whatever it's called), then rotate the entire lot in the direction you like, without playing the household? I may be confused though :)
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

I'm just wondering, can't you click on the "edit lot" tool (or whatever it's called), then rotate the entire lot in the direction you like, without playing the household? I may be confused though :)

No I think the map shows the lot the wrong way. It doesn't match with the real lot so if you rotate it, it'll be the wrong side showing still.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member

Still can't edit the Spencer-Kim-Lewis family either without changing their names, wish the limit would be increased too
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • chantalwapachantalwapa Posts: 90 Member
    Hello, thank you for creating this topic!

@SimGuruDrake
    I am a storyteller and I do love to create lots of drama in my game.
    Only have three very simple questions:
    Will there's a chance of in the future we have unrequited love(like sim A likes sim B but doesnt love her back?), atraction system?
    Dates like finding a real love?
    Holding hands while going together walking?

Also I support and want an expansion pack!

Sorry btw from my english...
    Have a wonderful week and thank you for your answers and work on this game! <3
    Simmer from Portugal
    *Waiting for StoryPogression = Much Drama Stories! Praying the gurus sharing it in a soon update!*
    Waiting also for these features to be added to our TS4: Unrequited love, Chemistry System Turn On and Offs, Fears and Wants System, Zodiac Signs and another TS2 cool features.
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »

No I think the map shows the lot the wrong way. It doesn't match with the real lot so if you rotate it, it'll be the wrong side showing still.

Ah that's possible. Funny, I never noticed that. ^^
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    Do you have a favourite supernatural life state? Which one is it?
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    smiley006 wrote: »

I <3 this! Because we all don't have short hair, or afro styled, or wear dreads/braids. I would like more longer hairs for POC sims.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I find all peoples job interesting, even more so when I know little about it. Thanks @SimGuruDrake

Also what @crinrict said - if the thread is to stay around please focus your questions, and not ask about future content.

I would like to ask what drove the move away from personality sliders to traits from sims 2 to 3. Also why were moodlets introduced. Do developers have a view on which system is better for expressing individual sim personality. Do they personally have other ideas on how sims personality systems could work.

Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top