Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ask a Guru - Game Development Edition

Comments

• JasonSim16JasonSim16 Posts: 466 Member
    Thanks for the opportunity for us to ask questions @SimGuruDrake ! I'm sure this won't get a response but it's worth a try; can our Sims look forward to enjoying hot cocoa, cuddled with their cat in front of a fireplace while it's snowing outside...? XD

Worth a try, btw I LOVE #TS4; the best one yet!
    71rbpi.png
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    @SimGuruDrake To be honest, I was always interested to know more about your role as Community Manager but I didn't know how to word it without coming across as nosy or I was scared it might seem like I was being snarky. So thanks for that insight! You seem like Superwoman across the Sims, thanks for all you do and for always finding time for us here. :smiley::kissing_heart:
  • burryshortcakeburryshortcake Posts: 5 New Member
    Is The sims 4 is a remake of the sims 2, but good graphics?
  • TarruviTarruvi Posts: 1,227 Member
    Are there discussions within the team regarding to the addition of more Life States in The Sims 4?
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited August 2016
    Is it possible that you add gameplay content that has already been in a previous pack of TS4 (e.g. Hot tubs, tents, foosball table) in a new pack with a new mesh (e.g. Wooden hot tub, futuristic foosball table) that has the same interactions as the original object?

And does it take one of the gameplay object "slots" that are limited depending on the pack type? (Stuff Pack = 2-4 gameplay objects) since these objects doesn't need to be coded anymore.
    a256aFi.gif
  • fairymama47fairymama47 Posts: 180 Member
    edited August 2016
    Will the team be removing culling in the future? Will we ever get to be the chef in our restaurants?

--culling questions will be answered in a separate discussion when I have an update to give :) - SGD
    Post edited by SimGuruDrake on
  • burryshortcakeburryshortcake Posts: 5 New Member
    Also is your goal is trying to make like the sims 2 but better? Because ts2 and TS4 are both alike that they don't have open world.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2016
    What's the exact difference between tense and bored? Why did you chose to make these two separate things instead of the same one? To me it doesn't seem like the difference is big enough to justify two separate emotions.

Why is "sleeping" an emotion?

Why did you chose Aspirations to be a set of goals instead of just one major goal? I feel like it would shift more focus on the whims if it was just one major goal while also not making Aspirations the grindfest of goals. Wouldn't it be better?

Was the "one whim for aspiration" "one whim for emotions" and "one whim for traits" really the best choice? I fee like emotional whims don't contribute to much, if anything we should be getting "normal" whims and the player should be the one who's "obligated" to put the sim in that state to complete the whim if they choose to, to me that would be more entertaining and give a slightly bigger purpose for emotion changing.

Is it possible to tag actions that are "good" and "bad" from a workplace point of view and make them work while a sim is at work so that it influences the performance instead of having goals? I reckon it would give the player more freedom. I have suggested this before.

Can we have a blue tinted UI?

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Nice idea for a thread and made me want to log on and thank you for making it @SimGuruDrake. I do have a few questions regarding Gamescom that changed my viewpoint to no longer thinking the Sims 4 direction will never favor me as a player.

Anyway, what can you elaborate on what the production team does and why they need to be a different company that handles Sims decisions?
    Source:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8fyVopwGl0&ab_channel=LittleMissSimmer

I'm a little confused on the Expansion explanation: "Expansion packs – These are more like multiple storylines, spread broadly but not necessarily deep. Again all playstyles should be covered."
    https://julyvee94.wordpress.com/2016/08/19/the-sims-panel-and-my-experience-at-gamescom-2016/

Why can't EPs be deep? Why does it seem like they omit some playstyles, when supposively all playstyles should be covered? EPs have always been my favorite so it really disappointed me that the vision and direction of GPs seemed more clearer than the EP's vision. Personally I liked having EPs more focused to flesh out a theme more. I like when they include a lifestate aka supernatural and a new world or in the Sims 4 case a new neighborhood. So far GTW and GT seem to have omitted some playstyles, so does each EP focus only on one?

Lately I noticed Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs pyramid was shared taken from this site: http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html
    Maslow-hierarchy-792x442.jpg
    https://www.platinumsimmers.com/articles/the-sims-4-how-we-make-the-game-panel/
    I did study this in school, so it was really interesting learning this concept applied to the Sims while attending college.

So according to the pyramid, why are only sections of the pyramid represented for each iteration? Does that mean that not all the needs are met?
    It shows why the Sims 1 and 2 seem to appeal to me more I've noticed, since my play styles fall under the bottom three sections. Any plans of including the needs as a whole or will it be separated? Why does it feel like transcendence wasn't included in the Sims 4 vision? Since the Sims 4 is reaching the top of the pyramid, so does that mean that the future of the Sims will use a different theory in development of future games?

Sorry I know all of my questions are quite deep and I know probably not all of them can be answered. But it was enlightening finding out with Gamescom why Sims 4 was alienating my play styles because of how Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs was being applied. I personally think it is flawed unless applied fully. Like a math equation, it doesn't work the same when divided into parts. It becomes something else completely. I do think that the Sims 1 and 2 did apply a lot of the pyramid in the game which is why those iterations worked out so well.

The Sims 2 studio fire, was that true or a hoax? I've wanted to know this answer for years and even a former Sims 2 Maxoid wasn't able to answer it.

Very interesting
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Will the team be removing culling in the future? Will we ever get to be the chef in our restaurants?

Ah yes, I second this question about being chefs (or even waiters) in either our own, or possibly even our other sims' restaurants?
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited August 2016
    Has the team ever considered making Clothing Packs - packs which have just new clothing in them, a bit like the clothing sets on TS3 Store? Do any of the Gurus like this idea or do you think it wouldn't fit into the Sims 4's pack scheme, perhaps being too similar to SPs? Thanks! :kissing_closed_eyes:
    Post edited by Simanite on
  • uzumouzumo Posts: 1,836 Member
    edited August 2016
    Did you meet Ilan Eshkeri?

Yes
    Post edited by SimGuruLyndsay on
  • JulinhoXD2001JulinhoXD2001 Posts: 141 Member
    edited August 2016
    @SimGuruDrake Can Pre-Teens come in The Sims 4 in an upcoming patch??
  • Petarce123Petarce123 Posts: 493 Member
    edited August 2016
    comment removed

Some people want to know more about her job and are interested in that. :)
    I want Seasons and Island Paradise for The Sims 4!

• mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member
    edited August 2016
    comment removed

Some of us do want to know more about her role. And she is the communicator between simmers and the team.
  • frkbw9rxezjzqnlqfrkbw9rxezjzqnlq Posts: 1 New Member
    My questions is for the the sims 4 ok is there going has a mermaid like sims 3?
    @Sarah_sarinha srsly, give it a try and see where it goes first. Also, this thread isn't only for @SimGuruDrake to answer to. If I get it right, other Gurus might pop in to answer as well, given that she wrote (see OP):

This thread will be closed from time to time to allow the team to answer questions without having new ones drown out the previous ones. Once questions have been answered the thread will be re-opened.

So let's just at least give them shot first at answering ;)
    edited August 2016
    What complications does it have to make foundations a tool with multiple heights kind of like half walls instead of a lot overhaul thing?

Is it possible to make foundation "wallpapers"/styles be per section like wall wallpaper instead of per foundation block?

Is it possible to add shopping bags to sims when they buy something from a retail store?
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    To any guru.
    Is there something you always wanted to tell us, but nobody asked it yet?
  • Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,101 Member
    edited August 2016
    comment removed

Simguru Drake opened this thread as it was requested in an effort to foster more communication. There is no need to be hostile. She answered a direct question asked in this thread as to what her job entailed. Someone asked she answered.

Thanks simguru Drake after that job description it is a wonder you have time to do anything on here. :0

• LewisLMLewisLM Posts: 13 New Member
    edited August 2016
    Drake, how does the team react when the community loves a pack? Do they get the feedback or are they unaware of success/failure?

Answered
    edited August 2016
    You say storytelling in TS is everything, which I'm not denying it, but I don't see any biography feature in TS4 which was part of TS1, TS2 and TS3 (patched through Generations EP though) will/can this be added in the future?

Did any of your artists ever experimented with body hair on sims with the current art style? Would it work/look ok? - Answered
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • uzumouzumo Posts: 1,836 Member
    edited August 2016
    Do you play The Sims 4?
    What is your favorite career in The Sims 4?

SGKimmi: Yes! I may be bias but I love the painter career. <3
    SGLyndsay: Heck yeah. I've been playing a lot of Secret Agents.
    edited August 2016
    @Sarah_sarinha Lol, yes. I'm known for accepting any- and everything & not challenging anyone, ever.

Uch.

But, on a more serious note, I've been a fan since TS1, too and like you I am pretty disappointed about quite a few things in this game. But I'm not going to ask someone to attempt to communicate with us again, and then when they agree to try, not even give them 5 seconds to answer before shooting the effort down. It's just not my style either. Anyway, believe what you will, I'm out ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top