Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Basements in TS2

mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
It's been a while since I've built one. Does anyone remember how to make them?

I remember lowering terrain and leveling it out - vaguely, but if there's a tutorial still up somewhere, I wouldn't mind a link to it. Thanks.
<----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***

Comments

• mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Thanks. I think I've got the basics now, but @Rflong7, what if the house is already built and you want to expand it - with or without a foundation? I need to build down in an existing house and the question may sound silly but I just don't remember how.

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited September 2015
    If the house doesn't have a foundation then you'll have to rebuild. If it does then you can remove foundation to make the basement and expand the foundation area if you want.

To get the right height just open up an area in the house small enough for the 3 steps and then dig it down to the level you need. :)

*Removing the foundation will remove the flooring on any open space. If a floor tile has an object then it will remove the foundation but save your floor tile. If my Sims don't have the money I just move things around to cover the areas and then remove the foundation of a prebuilt house - with Foundation..

Does that help? :)
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
  • mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited September 2015
    That helps a ton. I have never been a great builder but Sims 4 motivates me to try and I have greatly missed Sims 2. Thanks so much. :)

P.S. I have loved your builds for many years. You rock @Rflong7.

Thanks! And I'm glad to help. Good luck and Happy Building. :mrgreen:
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    @Rflong7

Thank you! This thread is seriously invaluable! I tried a VERY long time ago to try my hand at making a basement and failed utterly because I didn't understand what, exactly I needed to do. Following your pictures tonight, though, I've successfully made my first basement! I think I made the house to big though, lol. I barely have room to make the kind of backyards I'm used to doing. On the other hand, though. I'm seriously considering putting a pool in the basement and an entertainment room, so I guess I don't need as much of a yard as I'm used to.

Thank you again!
    Hi, @SataiDelennn - I'm so glad I could help!

That's a great idea for the pool in the basement. I'm sure they'll love it. XD
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    You can also use the basement for a garage if you make the walls the same height of the foundation and the foundation is at the same elevation as the street. So the garage will be in the basement. These houses are really cool.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've built ground level basements a few times and here's how it's done.
    Ground Level Basements.I've always had to get creative in building for Sims 2 and making ground level usable basements capable of housing a garage for parking the family's cars is a big help.
    I start with the flatten lot tool in build mode.
    26378149843_9980c2f79a_z.jpg
    I moved on to marking the boundries of the basement.
    26982356035_fb6c13cd67_z.jpg
    I put in a section of drywall and raised the ground near the wall.
    I added floor tiles to the top of this wall and it adjusted the level of the ground for a foundation.
    26888104422_60377e7f6f_z.jpg
    I flattened the ground to this new elevation.
    26982351335_c1885b14b1_z.jpg
    I've got the raised ground surrounding the house boundries here.
    26376895564_e7ab5d5087_z.jpg
    I started building the liners for the foundation sections.
    26913894131_78ed2cb997_z.jpg
    Here's the finished foundation liners.
    26948968166_02748a6a4c_z.jpg
    I closed the raised ground into the walls.
    26948961756_9e3f94f05e_z.jpg
    I started adding the foundation sections here.
    26913888561_094a4b4a04_z.jpg
    Here's what it looks like with the foundations added in.
    26708801560_f6b2229121_z.jpg
    I've started flattening the ground to the street level again.
    26708799220_e620d110e6_z.jpg
    Here's what you're left with and it's a raised foundation.
    26888086012_a14feda738_z.jpg
    Here's the walls being built to close it in.
    26888083182_87b5b7c23e_z.jpg
    Here's the finished portion of the basement.
    26708786800_847d317712_z.jpg
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    @TadOlson Ok that is cool. I have to try that! :D All my basements are below ground, but this is awesome. Thanks! :D
  • Eileen0001Eileen0001 Posts: 67 Member
    I always shy away from basements in TS2 because of the odd blue glare thing.
    This tutorial is now inspiring me to build my own basement!
    Check out my stories: Cederville Heights (TS2) and The Delios Legacy (TS4)
  • jnelsontxjnelsontx Posts: 24 Member
    I'm really grateful for this post (and also for this little corner in the forums). Like others, I never understood how to do this and I'm looking forward to having a place to stick all that stuff I don't want in the living room. Thanks again for the help and the post!
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Also, a great tip for building a below-ground basketball court is to take out a section of your basement wall to make the room technically outdoors, then place you basketball hoop/s in the preferred spot and close the room back up again. The game won't remove the object, so you're basically psyching it out for your own devious purposes... >:)
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.