The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

☆☆ Sims 4 Quality Control Contest ~ Challenge 74 up due (EST) 9th March ☆☆

Comments

• Cbear13Cbear13 Posts: 6,278 Member
    haha sounds like me to
    sounds like a good idea though, I am all for helping if you are struggling to create something
    New%20siggie%2011th%20Nov%2015.jpg
    ✦✦ Origin ID: cbear1313 ✦✦ Gallery: cbear1313 Gallery ✦✦ Cbear's Creations ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Practice Challenges ✦✦
  • WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Cbear13 wrote: »
    haha sounds like me to
    sounds like a good idea though, I am all for helping if you are struggling to create something

thank you, I actually scratched that idea and I'm going for something else but if I need help ill ask
  • MarkHarris17MarkHarris17 Posts: 537 Member
    edited August 2016
    QC challenge no: 29
    Origin ID: MarkHarris17
    Sims Gallery Name: Landgraab
    Gallery Link: here
    Images (1-2 images): 00_zpsmhyensxh.jpg
    Post edited by MarkHarris17 on
    Shelly Mellow Maxis
    Madden Maxis
    Riles Maxis
    Harris Maxis
    Hunger Games Modeling Comp
    [img][/img]ezgif.com-gif-maker_zpsjrmqrvoc.gif
    Last one made by me [my handwriting is bad on computers!]
    Thanks to the talented @Cbear13 for making these!

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,569 Member
    Nova Rose is a very nice home of the future! @Liziann1 :) Very nice design of the exterior! It was nice reading your description of the build in the gallery. It is great that the side wall is used as a wind shelter. The windows look great in the back area of the home. Sims will enjoy looking out through the windows at the outdoors views. Nice hot tub nook in the front area of the build for sims to enjoy relaxing in the tub. The patio warmer lamps are a nice touch there. The plants and trees give a great look to the front area of the home. The satellite dish looks great on the roof ! The full moon is a very nice touch in the photo of your home. Very nice furnishing of the interior of the home! The bathroom is very nice! The wall and floor tiling give a great look to the room! The bath tub nook is great! The grey and green colour scheme looks nice, and the green patterned floor rugs are a nice touch on the grey flooring. The mirror looks great on the wall between the shower and bath nooks. Very nice bar room! The black floor tiling looks great! The yellow colour of the bar stools and the purple drinks wall shelves look great together. Sims will enjoy sitting on the stools listening to music from the stereo and having a drink from the bar. Very nice design of the kitchen! The red and white colour scheme of the room looks very nice. It looks great hope the cabinets have been placed on the wall and the round bar stool dining area at the end of the kitchen sink counter looks great! Sims will enjoy having a drink from the drinks tray. The mysim chef and fruit bowl are nice touches on the counter and picture is nice on the wall . Very nice upper back balcony for sims to enjoy eating food at the umbrella covered table , that they have cooked on the BBQ or sit resting on the armchairs looking out at the views. The placement of the pink crystals on the tall structures looks great!
    The home is very nice! :)
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Congratz @popettypop2012 <3
    Congratz @RivendellStar (your palace is awesome) <3
    Thanks to the judges for our feedback o:)

BTW do you build with Moo On? I do not: I build vanilla, I test, then I have moo sessions. Then I test again. This way I avoid chaos lol. Also you can focus to create something special. Building with Moo On is really risky, is for builders with a lot of experience or great instinc. The ALT key help to avoid sticking problems, but moo (and enlarged objects) may trigger them ;) I really like beautiful lots and rooms, but I love more playability.
    @emere thats a great question for everyone
    I personaly build with it on but I love the freedom of placing everything exactly where I want it and I am always using the ALT button.
    I know I am a really slow builder because I am a perfectionist (which is frustrating lol) but I think for those people who do have a lot of placement issues building with Moo off and using the ALT button is probably a lot better for them.

The problem is not knowing about the ALT button trick makes it near impossible to have no placement issues because we find items like plants always stick into walls and objects close to them when placed in the games default tiles. The other huge fault we see a lot is curtains sticking into objects placed near them. If you dont use the ALT button you will probably always have these issues.

To give you all an idea on the judging side well for me anyway I take 1 point off for each placement error and 2 points usually for unusable items caused by placement. So it can really effect your scoring.
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited August 2016
    QC challenge no: 29
    Origin ID:gmcrozier
    Are you a novice builder: no
    Intermediate, Experienced or Expert level: Expert
    Original Lot used (lot name and town): Hillside Highland, Newcrest
    Build Gallery Name: 823 Mann Avenue
    Gallery Link: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/7D474A6D699711E685545E099554D7E7?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=gmcrozier&max=50&maxis=false
    Images (3-5 max):

08-23-16_6-06-28nbspPM_zpsfgczkcu7.png

08-23-16_6-07-08nbspPM_zps2mkg7gim.png

08-23-16_6-07-25nbspPM_zpscyfjt4qn.png

08-23-16_6-11-07nbspPM_zpsuccjvd3e.png
    The layout and design of 823 Mann Avenue looks very nice! @gmcrozier :) It looks great how the part of the building stretches over the outdoors living poolside patio! The different coloured and sized water balls feature on the patio looks great! Sims will enjoy swimming in the pool, or resting poolside on the loungers in the outdoors air. The green hedging looks nice bordering the pool and the colour looks great to go with the white exterior colour of the home. The bamboo plants look nice lining the side of the front pathway. Very nice upper patio outdoors dining and hot tub area. Sims will enjoy cooking meals on the BBQ and eating them at the table in the outdoors air or enjoy relaxing in the hot tub. Very nice furnishing of the interior of the home! The dining area is very nice! The flowers on the table are pretty for sims to see when eating their meals at the table, and the space themed pictures look great ok the dining walls. Nice sofa seats sitting nook for sims there and watch tv or read a book from the bookcase. Very nice light filled kitchen! Sims will enjoy looking out through the kitchen windows whilst preparing meals. The island stove and bar stool counter is great for sims to sit on the stools and eat a meal. The floor texture looks great. The modem wall clock is a nice touch.
    It is a very nice home for the future :)
  • Liziann1Liziann1 Posts: 1,461 Member
    @gmcrozier WOW loving your build!
    Check out My showcase thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    or look for me in the Gallery
    aka DizziSquirrel

Gorgeous @gmcrozier love the fountains and the 2nd floor patio great design
  • Archer_GirlArcher_Girl Posts: 218 Member

Congrats to @popettypop2012 , @emere and @UniSims on your well deserved wins!

What a great contest that was! Thank you, @Cbear13 for hosting! I had a lot of fun with the build and considering its my first challenge in 15 years I thought it went well. The budget was the biggest issue for me and I think that was what happened with the balcony being bare. I made attempts at creating lighting in the top of the towers but couldn't get it to work out. I think I meant to come back and troubleshoot both those things but got excited and jumped the gun uploading my lot very early. Seeing now the kind of scrutiny the entries are receiving it will certainly help me to step up my game and not make sloppy mistakes like with curtains. Thank you @Cbear13 for the tips about using the ALT button! That's tremendously helpful. The only critique that I would give a small bit of debate to is that my use of colors throughout were a negative. I feel that the desire to see a monotone design throughout a house is more a personal preference than a design rule. I love colors and enjoy a variety of schemes in a house as long as its not all happening at once and then there should be a common aspect of design that ultimately ties it all together. In my mind, my entry had a purple theme that was carried room to room with the purple windows. I was very happy with the kitchen and breakfast area color scheme because it unlike anything I had ever done. With my budget issues I wasn't happy that I only ended up with one bedroom and in hindsight I do wish I had carried the purple there as well. I appreciate the thoughtful feed back though and I'm def going to enter more challenges.
    @Archer_Girl we loved your entry and I really do hope we get to see more from you. I am like you I really struggle to stick within budgets so I get where your coming from there. The monthly challenge has unlimited budget so there is another option for you if you want no budget restrictions.
    About the colors in the interior that was something I picked up on and I will say we dont always take points off for things that were noted in the critique and I did not take points for that it was more a tip to be careful not to go to dramatically different from room to room and there was only some areas that seemed very different from each other. I dont feel its a personal opinion as I have built houses with quite different colors all I was trying to point out is to try make it flow together.
    Im also not saying to change your building style either its also just an opinion and I am the first to admit I am not always right haha.

We think you did an amazing effort for your first entry and I know its tough for new people entering because you dont really have any idea on how we judge and what we look for.
    I am always pushing for the judges to keep personal preferences out of their judging and I try to do the same but I can say the most important thing is quality, there is nothing worse that downloading a lot you like off the gallery to find half of it is unusable so we really are tough on placement.
    We had a few new people entering lately and wow once the placement issues are fixed there is going to be some seriously tough competition going on here
  • lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    Great future builds everyone!

Love the open air kitchen diner you have in yours @swcheppes and it has a great night time glow to it! :)

How amazing is that kitchen @Liziann1 I wish it was mine! And, I love you fun colourful interiors!

Awesome exterior design and creative landscaping @gmcrozier i also love how clean your interiors look. I always picture future houses really clean because you know we will all have robot's picking up after us lol

I just also wanted to quickly comment about judging @Archer_Girl it will always be hard to not have personal opinions but, I would like to think for the most part we are as fair as possible. And, sometimes the feedback we give is just to help people think about the flow in their builds. And, isn't necessarily a negative on the build and certainly not a negative on anyone's building style. One of my favourite things about judging is the diversity I see in all the builds and I hope that never ends. Most importantly really we just want placement and requirements to be met. But if those things are even from one build to the next the it comes down to creativity and style. I personally LOVE color (if you seen my real life house you'd know I was a big fan! hahaha) Also as judges we get a lot of really close scores and we can talk about it in length and even have the occasional disagreement :D but, in the end this is all just for fun and we are always taking something positive from every build/room we judge. I know what you mean tho as I have been entering building comps since the sims2 and I would build for people on the sims online and I certainly didn't always win lol and on more then one occasion didn't always agree with the feedback given to me. But, in the end I have always built for my own pleasure and nothing else and if I'm happy with what I created then in my mind that's the real win for me :) Keep up the great work and I thought your first entry was fab! :)
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

@Liziann1 @Cbear13 @lisa17ann and of course @rosemow , thank you for your wonderful comments.
  • fabtiffsimfabtiffsim Posts: 1,008 Member
    @Archer_Girl I wanted to add to this conversation too!
    I used to enter some build comps in sims 3 and I remember getting some feedback about my use of colors or my particular style and I always think about the weird fine line between what I like and what is going to get me a win haha (I think about this A LOT in my model comps!!) and I can't help myself, I always tend to go towards what I like instead of the more vanilla/generic thing that I think might make me win (it isn't always the case but I think it is in my brain) and as long as I follow the guidelines and rules, then I'm happy to lose a point or two if the judges don't like my colors or style or something. It's the struggle of all artists in every single genre of art that ever ever existed and it requires a bit of tough skin sometimes. I read what the judges are saying, that they hope you're not discouraged and I hope so too! By the sounds of it they aren't going to dock you any points for differences in their style vs. your style so hopefully you can take some encouragement from that too! Keep building cause you like it! Not for the wins!
    QC challenge no: Challenge 29
    Origin ID: Amiiss
    Are you a novice builder: If its a bad build, then yes but if its a good build then its a no. Kidding, im novice, this is my first build ive ever finished.(I usually quit half way through a build)
    Intermediate, Experienced or Expert level: Uhm idk, intermediate i believe.
    Original Lot used (lot name and town): Fern Park, Newcrest
    Build Gallery Name: Ecoristic
    Gallery Link: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/E2B328DA6BC711E68BF5ED9FBC110F46?category=all&searchtype=item_name&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=Ecoristic&max=50&maxis=false
    Images (3-5 max): (please post 1 street view photo) Sadly i cant find my screenshots, ive looked through my files for an hour now and i simply cannot find a folder that fits. But as soon as i find them, ill edit my post and update it.

I appreciate any kind of critiqu, in order to become a better builder.
  • Archer_GirlArcher_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    edited August 2016

@WiggleyTuff
    I really like your window choices and use of shrubbery! I recently found out that if you use one of the dance floors as a roof that it causes Sims to always wanna go dance but since they can't access it they get frustrated. I used the dance floor in a couple of lots before I knew. I hate the lack of sun roofs in the game. If this were my lot I would keep the dance floor and create roof access so they can dance on the roof. Overall, well done! Congrats on finishing your lot and continue your good work!

@gmcrozier
    This build is magnificent! The photos of space and the galaxies is the perfect touch in that space! Well done!
    Ecoristic is a very nice future home! @WiggleyTuff :) Very nice exterior design and layout of the build! The hedging looks very nice how you have used it on the edges of the upper balcony and rooftop level! The skylight roofing looks very nice! The rocks look great how they are placed bordering the edges of the lot and lining the edges of the front pathway ! The cherry blossom tree is pretty in the bulld, and the pink colour looks nice to complement with the green colour scheme of the build. The flowers look pretty on the edges of the building. Very nice layout and furnishing of the interior of the home. Very nice windows dining area for sims to enjoy eating their meals at the dining table with sunshine coming in onto them.
    The home is very nice! :)
    Hello @WiggleyTuff
    The screenshots would be in your Documents -electronic arts-sims 4-screenshots folder. Try looking there and see if the photos are there.
    @Archer_Girl thank you for your kind comment and the fav!
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello @WiggleyTuff
    The screenshots would be in your Documents -electronic arts-sims 4-screenshots folder. Try looking there and see if the photos are there.

I dont have a folder called that in my documents but thanks
    @WiggleyTuff it looks wonderful and I love the eco theme you chose, so glad you finially got to finish a build hopefully first of many?
    as rosemow said you should be able to find your screenshots if you go to My Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4 > Screenshots
    edited August 2016
    @WiggleyTuff have you tried doing a search for Screenshots?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top