Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

S4 BuildnShare Winners Circle

Comments

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    EXPERT RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #47 - A Home of Our Own

@gmcrozier

The quiet elegance of 706 Cherry Blossom Lane captures the Japanese æsthetic extremely well. Your choices of roof texture, windows and exterior wall textures all work together in harmony. I especially like the red-orange front door with its surrounding dark gray walls. The landscaping is simple but well placed and in keeping with the house, and you’ve used the landscape paint to good effect.

The layout of the interior is interesting and efficient. The color schemes in the various rooms again harmonize with each other giving the home an overall consistency and serenity. You’ve also included many family friendly items like a decent television and children’s toys. But most impressive is your use of debug clutter items throughout. The workshop is especially realistic and fits the brief perfectly! :smiley: Great job!

Suggestions: I would not change much. I might have used MOO in the master bathroom to raise the mirror so that the faucet in the sink did not penetrate it. (It looks a little odd.) And though the plant in the guest bathroom seems very Japanese, without a window in the bathroom to give it light, I’m afraid it wouldn’t stay alive for long.

@masajo

The first thing one notices about Naoki is the beautifully placed oak tree in front—like a giant bonsai! The contrasting exterior wall textures also add a great deal of interest and are in keeping with a Japanese æsthetic. Your choice of windows is exceptionally good, and I’m in love with the combination of the Outside In Double-Window Wall with the narrow Matte Plastic Tiled Window. (I’m not sure if you built this before the patch giving black as choice for the Window Wall frame, but I think a black frame would have been even more striking here.)

Your interior color scheme of black and white with pops of red (and blue in the bedrooms) seems very Japanese too, and overall the interior decoration is restrained and elegant. I especially like your use of half walls. The child’s bedroom is colorful and fun! :smiley: The two other bedrooms are chic and sophisticated. Your choices of wall textures, floor textures and furniture is superb. Amazingly beautiful!

Suggestions: While I appreciate your wish to create interest in the roofing by using both red and black textures (in keeping with your overall color scheme), unfortunately outdoor lighting in the game doesn’t let the black roof read as black so the effect wasn’t as striking as it might have been. I also think you might have erred too much on the side of the Japanese aesthetic rather than Suburbia. A few more homey touches in the workshop, for example, might have evened the balance.

@pronterus

Your clever use of the bamboo curtains on the outside of the windows immediately clue one in to Kindaiteki as a Japanese-inspired house! The landscaping and your expert use of landscape paint add a great deal of charm as well.

The layout of the interior is well thought out, and I love your combination of light woods and stone on both walls and floors. The columns with spandrels separating the kitchen from the living room are a nice touch. The workshop room is nicely “cluttered” and looks ready for Mr. Worthington to get to work. Overall, your choice of colors and furnishing give the home a modern feeling in keeping with its Japanese name! :smiley:

Suggestions: Please remember that the judging is done solely from your slideshow so that your images need to be labeled! Also, I couldn’t tell much about the exterior or roofing because all your exterior shots were done at night. I would have loved to see more images overall because there were some interesting spaces I couldn’t quite see.

The winner of this challenge is ....

@gmcrozier
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • masajomasajo Posts: 5,993 Member
    Thank you very much @BuildnShare for your detailed feedback, really appreciate your suggestions :)

Many congratulations @gmcrozier a very well deserved win :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    Congratulations @gmcrozier ! :) Thank you @BuildnShare for the feedback :)
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    Thank you @masajo and @pronterus . I was completely surprised by this result. I loved both of your homes and didn't think I had a chance.

@BuildnShare thank you for your feedback.
    ESTABLISHED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #47 - A HOME OF OUR OWN

@Don_Oello

Mod Shui is a fantastic oriental design with a very beautiful facade. The entrance looks very welcoming with the flowers and rocks leading to the gorgeous covered walkway. This is a wonderful feature using a great choice of fencing, columns and spandrels. The roofing is perfect for this style and tops the build off perfectly. The rear garden looks quiet and peaceful, meditation and yoga will be idyllic here! Absolutely love the Zen feel of this area with the sand, stones and lanterns, this is very well thought out. Great interior layout with the living accommodation on the right and the workshop on the left, a lovely balance. The open plan kitchen, dining and living area has a great feeling of space and I love the wall decor in the kids rooms, provides a fun lively appearance. Overall, the modern and Japanese mix works really well together and provides lots of interest.

Suggestions: The presentation of the slideshow is very important so it is a good idea to organise the pics well, possibly give us a guided tour of the build. I love the spaciousness of the open concept design of the ground floor but I would have defined the living area from the kitchen/dining using, for example, half walls.

The Winner of this Challenge is ....

@Don_Oello

GArBA5W.jpg
  • Don_OelloDon_Oello Posts: 269 Member
    thank you @BuildnShare i somewhat follow a path when taking pictures uploading to photobucket is a bit annoying since it always want to show newest upload first and skip some pictures while uploading. i title the pics to what is shown and the problem with that is alfabetical, so i should title them different for a tour guide to work. i may consider switching to imgur to see if thats any easier
    mh0CjH8.png
    Check out my showcase
    @Don_Oello I switched from Photobucket to Imgur some time ago and find it so much quicker, easier and stress free :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    edited July 2016
    Don_Oello wrote: »
    thank you @BuildnShare i somewhat follow a path when taking pictures uploading to photobucket is a bit annoying since it always want to show newest upload first and skip some pictures while uploading. i title the pics to what is shown and the problem with that is alfabetical, so i should title them different for a tour guide to work. i may consider switching to imgur to see if thats any easier

I have found, @Don_Oello , that if you number your pictures in Photobucket and then organize by title, they will be in the order you want them. For example: 1. Exterior front

Hope this helps! :smiley:
  • Don_OelloDon_Oello Posts: 269 Member
    @masajo and @StSciurus thank you
    mh0CjH8.png
    Check out my showcase
    ESTABLISHED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #48 - THE FOUR SISTERS OF THE APOCOLYPSE

@emere
    This place is amazing! The architecture is just the right side of modern to meet the brief and you have made some excellent choices with the exterior finishes. The landscaping is simple, well thought out and fits well with the architecture of the home. You have made some good use of the terrain painting tool. Your layout works well, and the home has a nice flow to it. I think you have furnished the girls bedroom incredibly well, with some lovely little touches to accent their favourite colours. The upstairs music room is lovely and the decks are a great addition. Don’t let the fact that you are the default winner bring you down, this is a really great build.

The Winner is..... @emere

GArBA5W.jpg
    EXPERT RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #48 - THE FOUR SISTERS OF THE APOCOLYPSE

@masajo

With Whispering Trees you have made a difficult challenge look easy! :smiley: The handsome modern structures (house and studio) coordinate beautifully with the wooded setting. Your use of contrasting wall textures adds great interest to the exterior. I especially like the backyard with its outdoor seating, grill and music studio—perfect for the four band members! Indoors, the design is equally chic with a thoughtful use of wall graphics throughout. Very impressive is your subtle color coordination. I love how you pick up a contrast color in each of the women’s bedrooms to add interest to an otherwise monochromatic palette. And the garage made me smile! Some day we may get real garages for TS4, but you made an excellent “faux” one. There is nothing I would change about this lovely home. You did a superb job in meeting the budget and creating a stylish, livable house! :smiley:

The Winner is..... @masajo

GArBA5W.jpg
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Congrats to @emere and @masajo, two incredible builds!!
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
    Congrats to @emere and @masajo, two incredible builds!!

I have to agree with you, @FaithofKaela !
    Big thank you @BuildnShare for your wonderful review, very much appreciated :)
    Many congrats @emere an outstanding build and your win is very well deserved :)
    @FaithofKaela and @StSciurus thank you so much, very kind of you both :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Thanks for the feedback @BuildnShare :# I really like this challenge. I´m trying to learn how to build modern houses :D
    Thanks @FaithofKaela @StSciurus <3
    Congratz @masajo B)
    ESTABLISHED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #49 - SUMMER DESIGNER OLYMPICS

@emere

What a beautiful build, a total dream for the violinist! Very unique shape inspired by art deco, the symmetry is spot on giving a very balanced appearance and I love the sunny yellow theme. The landscaping and choice of plants really compliment this build and it's good to see you've brought these 'hot' colours inside. The open plan concept works well in this modern design and it's great to see how you've defined the different areas. Absolutely love the upper balcony, it looks perfect for relaxing, practicing yoga and playing the violin. The rear patio is also a beautiful place to relax and the pool looks very cool and refreshing here.

Suggestions: Your creation is wonderful just the way it is and I love the fact you've made use of all the available space of the lot. However, the candle divider on the balcony looks a little out of place to me, I would have put small candles or incense next to the yoga mat. Regarding the kitchen and ground floor bathroom, I would have added more yellow to these rooms which would really brighten them up more. Also, the tree at the front looks a little lost on it's own. I would either have omitted this or added more. This tree is one of my favourites and looks great when it is enlarged.

@emere

GArBA5W.jpg
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Congrats @emere - such an amazing build!!
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram

Thanks @BuildnShare :# You are so right about the candle divider :D I hesitated to keep it. OMG I have never enlarged a tree :o I need to try that! I really appreciate this feedback <3

Thanks @FaithofKaela o:)
    ESTABLISHED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #50 - BEST LAID PLANS (PART 3)

@popettypop2012

As you noted in your Entry Details, it was a difficult challenge to create a Federal style house using the existing shell, but you accomplished it wonderfully well with The Johnson’s Mansion. You used the existing layout of the ground floor to good advantage and added a second story that flows well. The exterior of the house is charming. The brick wall textures and shuttered windows are in keeping with the Federal style. Your landscaping is superb! The fountain, flower-lined walkways, statuary and lighting give the house great curb appeal. The backyard with pool, covered barbecue area and disco pavilion are wonderful features, too.

You managed to maintain a neutral color scheme in the common areas yet did it with a lot of style. Favorite areas are the sun room with easel and work bench, the guest bedroom with the mirrored foyer, and the nursery and children’s bedroom. You’ve included so many wonderful details and made the Johnsons’ house look like a comfortable home! Wonderful work! :smiley:

Suggestions: More pictures! I would have loved to see details of the kitchen and a few of the bathrooms. More exterior pictures of the house would have been nice, too. Also, you might consider putting the pictures in a “house tour” kind of order; they seemed a bit random. As far as the interior goes, one thing I might have done differently is to move the children’s bedroom wall to enclose the aquarium on three sides in the upstairs living space. (Right now there is an awkward space next to the aquarium. The resulting bedroom would not be square but have a interesting L shape. The door would have to be moved to the wall facing the stairs. Also, the two standing lamps that frame the walk-in wardrobe (great feature, by the way) look nice but I’m afraid the one on the left looks like it will interfere with the entrance to the master bedroom. But these are minor things. You really did a wonderful job!

@popettypop2012
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited August 2016
    Expert Results for Challenge #49 - Summer Designer Olympics

@StSciurus
    The modern lines of the exterior of this build look great with the modern landscaping. Your half balconies really add a lot of interest to the build as a whole. Your exterior wall treatments are also in keeping with the style of the build. I think your use of black on the exterior is a great choice for Kesse. Your terrain painted pathway looks great by the way!
    Your interiors look fantastic, just the right side of modern to complement the style of the home. I think choosing neutral tones for the walls and floors and then adding those ‘pops’ of colour works incredibly well. You have made some great object choices and your placement is exceptional. Your layout flows nicely and you have chosen your room placement thoughtfully. That office!! Amazing work, the use of the kitchen cabinets is a fantastic idea.

Suggestions:
    My one suggestion would be to add more clutter to your bathrooms, they really look quite sterile in comparison to the rest of the home.

@pronterus
    The exterior of this build is simply stunning, the use of the awnings to add depth to the structure works really well. The use of red on the exterior is a bold choice, but it works.
    You use of terrain paints is brilliant and those lavender bushes work well. The layout of the home is well throughout, it flows brilliantly. Your interiors are wonderful, the way you have used different textures and colours in the rooms is exceptionally executed, they don’t clash at all, which is a hard to achieve! The home looks lived in, you have used just the right amount of clutter.

Suggestions:
    The landscaping feels a little classic in comparison to the modern structure, I wonder if a more structured look would have fit better. The spandrels feel a little too traditional in the interior, perhaps a more minimalistic version of them would have helped with the otherwise very modern tone. Your presentation is lovely, however, it would have been nice to see more than one angle per room.

@masajo
    The clean lines of the architecture of this build are just lovely, the landscaping is simple and fits well with the style of the build, you have made some really great use of the terrain painting tool. Your exterior wall treatment choices really reflect the styling and the grey wood panels add interest. Those fountains in the rear work really well. The muted tones work really well inside the home and those pale blues look lovely. You have made great use of the space and the layout works brilliantly, you have made some inspired object choices and your placement is excellent. You have made some really great use of the room dividers to section off areas of the home, without making the place feel cramped. There is just the right amount of clutter to make the place feel lived in without being overbearing. You have made some great references to Maja’s interests.

Suggestions: I struggled to find anything to suggest that you could have done better, maybe some deeper blue tones to give a less monotone feel?

@gmcrozier
    The exterior of your build looks wonderful, very modern and the accent treatments you have chosen really fit with the style you have gone for. Your landscaping fits the build, you have made some great plant choices. Your interiors feel modern without feeling cold and uninviting, the green ‘pops’ of colour work really well. Your use of mirrors as decor items is ingenious! Your references to Chloe’s interest in painting really shines throughout the build. You have made some great object choices and your placement feels nice and natural. You have just the right amount of clutter around the place to make it feel homey, without feeling cluttered.

Suggestions:
    That large light in the dining area really overpowers that whole area, I wonder if one of the more natural larger lights would have suited this room better?

@bouquetcatcher

The exterior of your home looks lovely! The clean lines of the architecture really help lend a modern air to it. Great use of exterior treatments to compliment the style of the design. Your use of floor tiles to separate the exterior areas works well. The outdoor living spaces work wonderfully well. Your interiors are well thought out and those ‘pops’ of red add a lovely touch to those neutral wall and floors. The build is well laid out and you have made some wonderful object choices and you placement is brilliant. Is that a plate of grilled cheese I spy on the kitchen counter, a wonderful addition! There is just the right amount of clutter in the home to make it feel lived in rather than crowded. The use of the bamboo screens to define the ground floor is just perfect!

Suggestions:
    The landscaping feels a little too rigid, maybe due to the amount of plants you have in such a small area. Some labels for your presentation would have been nice.

This was a really difficult choice to make, all the builds were wonderful in their own ways, but a winner must be chosen.

And the winner is.....

@masajo

Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    Thank you @BuildnShare for the feed back. Congratulations @masajo !
    Thank you for the great feedback, @BuildnShare ! And congratulations, @masajo ! A well-deserved win. :smiley:
    edited August 2016
    Expert Results for Challenge #50 - Best Laid Plans (Part 3)

@StSciurus
    This build definitely fits the bill for Federal style! Your exterior is lovely, the separate buildings work well with the the style. Your landscaping is well thought out and again is perfectly in tune with the style of the build. That children’s gazebo was an amazing idea! You have done a great job working with the original floor plan, the home still feels like it flows well. Your interiors feel well loved, and the classic style works with the overall tone of the home. You have made some excellent object choices and your placement is fantastic. The basement area is a great addition, and extremely well executed.

Suggestions:
    The study feels a touch cramped, given that in the original brief (part 1) Kieran needed a space to work from home, this is a touch disappointing, but this is my only suggestion to make on your build.

@masajo
    You certainly kept to the brief with the architectural style of this wonderful federal build. The landscaping on this build is just awe inspiring, it looks so natural and lush. You have made great use of the terrain paint tools. Your outdoor living spaces are wonderful the balconies look amazing. You have done a great job with keeping the original floor plan and expanding on that, it still feels like it flows well. The interiors are well thought out, you have made some great object choices and that sun room is a great idea, it feels nice an open, and that nursery is just adorable! Overall, your interiors feel wonderful, you have made some great object choices that really help with the classic feel of the build. Your use of clutter is simply amazing, that double child’s bedroom with the train set on the floor is just brilliant.

Suggestions:
    The right side of the exterior looks a little off with no windows in that bricked area. I feel you could have made more of Kaiden’s room, I feel that it doesn’t really bring the outside in.

@gmcrozier
    You certainly created a wonderful federal style build for Kaye and her family, the exterior looks lovely, the red and white trim really works together. The landscaping out front, fits the style of the build. You have done a great job working with the original ground floor layout, the layout throughout still flows well. That sunken living room is inspired, a great addition to this build. Kaiden’s room is great, loving all the natural wooden furniture, you really kept in with the brief here. The rest of the build is great also, you have made some wonderful object choices and your neutral colours fir with the brief.

Suggestions:
    I’m not sure if the rear of the build isn’t a little too ‘busy’, I think this may have been a case of less being more, maybe the tennis court was one feature too many?!

And the winner is....

I just couldn't choose between two of these builds, so we have a draw @StSciurus and @gmcrozier
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • bouquetcatcherbouquetcatcher Posts: 1,355 Member
    edited August 2016
    @BuildnShare - there is no review of my entry or @FaithofKaela's? Edit: (or #49 Summer Design Olympics).
    16975504789_dfde933ce1_o.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top