Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions for Gamescom Q&A Panel

Comments

• EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Hello everyone! I just wanted to stop in here to clarify somethings about the panel:

1. Those who attend will absolutely be able to share what they learn after the panel is over.
    2. There are two portions for this panel. The first is hosted by myself and is about what goes into deciding what influencers we work with / how content creators can start building relationships with us. The second is hosted by Lyndsay and Rachel and will be giving some insight into how far we've come with The Sims 4 since launch, explaining the addition of Game Packs and what they have to offer, and what exactly goes into development for content on The Sims 4.
    3. The Q&A will be focusing solely on the above items that we discuss. We are not talking about future content, we are not making any announcements about content, and we aren't giving hints to anything.
    4. We are taking this opportunity to grow stronger relationships with our international community who sometimes feel left out of things since our North American community tends to get more opportunities for things since our studio is based here.

I hope that helps clear things up :)

In reply to the bolded statement:

@SimGuruDrake don't worry we will not ask about future content, because we don't think there will be any, at least an interesting one.

We will just wait for your announcement of shutting down the sims 4 and the sims franchise as a whole. That is the only news me and at least some other players think we are going to hear from EA officially.

Well the reality is that you are setting yourself up for disappointment with that mindset because you will always be looking for something negative rather than giving content a chance to stand on its own. I know the future is bright for this game and it's mind boggling to see how my panels are somehow sending you off in this direction.

I stand by what I've said that we have been as transparent and forth coming as we can be with the confines that we work in. If you don't want to take it at face value and want to run off with it in wild directions that is your prerogative but it is no where near the truth.

The studio isn't being shut down, we aren't being silent, and EPs are very much still a thing. The game isn't being turned into a mobile game and it's not being treated as an MMO. Gamescom (and any gaming event really) isn't always the place to make announcements for things and will never dictate how we make announcements.

Additionally, influencers aren't just people creating YouTube content or streaming on twitch or running fan sites. Every person in this forum is an influencer in their own way, you can see it every time a speculation thread gets created and whether or not it will take off like wild fire. You are influenced in your every day life by the music you listen to, shows or movies you watch, your friends, your parents, your teachers, social media, forums, etc.

I know that you can't talk about the T word, but thanks so much for at least telling us that this game isn't going to turn into an MMO, that makes my day :)

Well I am glad of that as I really like the game. Glad to hear that the Sims 4 is not being shut down. thank you for that.

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I just read all of that but I got one problem with it, they claim that All Play Styles should be Covered, Yet in Fact Not All are, cause if they were all covered, Then I would not Still be waiting for My Gothic Characters and Stuff to use for My Gothic Type Game Play.

I think it would be interesting to know what they mean by "play styles" in that statement. It can't mean just the content we play with since that always can't all be addressed right away. Maybe it means things like legacy play and rotational play?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I think it would be interesting to know what they mean by "play styles" in that statement. It can't mean just the content we play with since that always can't all be addressed right away. Maybe it means things like legacy play and rotational play?

Or quest-based versus sandbox
  • InvisibleaesInvisibleaes Posts: 1,526 Member
    That was a great read! It explains a lot about how things work which is something simmers guess at a lot!
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited August 2016
    Nothing really new.

The same old; yeah but, and, but yeah, but and, we are trying stuff, but this and that.

The thing that really stood out was their statements about EP's not really being ''deep'' but ''broad''..

I mean seriously, in the past EP's were petty deep if you ask me. If they aren't that deep with this game (GT prime example) why are they taking so long? If this 1 EP a year is going to be a regular thing, they have to drag this game on for 10 years to even release the most wanted EP's, or they have to just skip half of them. We are already near the 2 year mark....

And yes, they mentioned they are working on 6 packs or whatever at a time (4 of them are most likely SP's, 1 EP and 1 GP) , so let's see how long it takes for the expansion after this TBA expansion to be released..
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited August 2016
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Ok well in that case *I* am attending next time, if I can get my avatar into the suitcase of someone who is going

I'll take your ava with me next time Inge :D
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Been thinking about this all day - and you know what burns my psyche to the core is the fact it seems these "rules" just apply to Maxis and The Sims 4 - and not EA. I find it extremely odd that we cannot even have a single answer to anything regarding future content - but EA on the other hand can go massively live - world wide with their big games - like Battlefield 4, Titanfall 2, the New Star Wars - the coming FIFA - not only with info but traiters and on top of that literally days of play with thousands of players at both the E3 private conference & 3 day event and the Gamescom 2016.

I just checked on just Titanfall 2 is slated to be released October 28th, 2016 - it was first played and viewed June 12th- the 14th, 2016 and now again for another 3 days August 16-18th. What gives on the parent company and it's numerous other studios not having the same rules as Maxis then. Seems to me they are straddling numerous quarters with all EA's game but we can't know a thing about Sims 4.

I fail to get this and I read that whole post Graham linked to. It would be a different matter if EA who owns Maxis lived under the same rules - but seems Maxis is special and has a special set of rules all to themselves.

Those are not-yet-released base games, not updates to already released base games.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    What about Star Wars Battlefront? The Death Star DLC isn't coming out until September, but it's been teased/talked about since July (with plenty of images and decent length teasers)
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
    edited August 2016
    Been thinking about this all day - and you know what burns my psyche to the core is the fact it seems these "rules" just apply to Maxis and The Sims 4 - and not EA. I find it extremely odd that we cannot even have a single answer to anything regarding future content - but EA on the other hand can go massively live - world wide with their big games - like Battlefield 4, Titanfall 2, the New Star Wars - the coming FIFA - not only with info but traiters and on top of that literally days of play with thousands of players at both the E3 private conference & 3 day event and the Gamescom 2016.

I just checked on just Titanfall 2 is slated to be released October 28th, 2016 - it was first played and viewed June 12th- the 14th, 2016 and now again for another 3 days August 16-18th. What gives on the parent company and it's numerous other studios not having the same rules as Maxis then. Seems to me they are straddling numerous quarters with all EA's game but we can't know a thing about Sims 4.

I fail to get this and I read that whole post Graham linked to. It would be a different matter if EA who owns Maxis lived under the same rules - but seems Maxis is special and has a special set of rules all to themselves.

Those are not-yet-released base games, not updates to already released base games.

I know what you are saying.

But they knew that the base they released was unfinished so this rule would affect this release more than any other. They absolutely knew this would disproportionately affect this base and its customers. I mean it's one thing asking customers to give you the benefit of the doubt and quite another to wait until almost two years later to say 'oh don't expect us to communicate about finishing that base because it'll mess up our accounting system'.

Either it was none of our business and we weren't to be told or it is and we can be told. (2 years later) Can't have it both ways like that. It doesn't appear transparent at all.

Yes, this was an issue. I totally agree. My point is that the same regulations don't cover both scenarios. That's all.

Not to mention that the previous problem with things changing after they'd been said to consumers is an additional good reason not to talk early about anything that could still change now. The fact is, it is a problem when that happens. And it can't always be fixed by including the thing you said you would - what if that thing just isn't working? Should they put out a bad product just because they said, too early, that they would? FWIW, in my opinion, they ought to have delayed the base game release an additional 6 months beyond the first delay.
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    What about Star Wars Battlefront? The Death Star DLC isn't coming out until September, but it's been teased/talked about since July (with plenty of images and decent length teasers)

The quarter runs July 1 to September 30.
  • PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited August 2016
    Polyrhythm wrote: »

I'm fairly sure that Battlefront is being produced by EA DICE, another EA studio that seemingly doesn't follow the same rules as Maxis. EA DICE is also producing Battlefield 1 which as mentioned earlier has seen lots of preview ahead of its release. Titanfall 2 which is produced by Respawn has also seen some heavy preview by its developers yet neither Respawn nor EA DICE are following the same rules that Maxis is.

It's like Maxis is on some self-imposed punishment.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    edited August 2016

I know what you are saying.

But they knew that the base they released was unfinished so this rule would affect this release more than any other. They absolutely knew this would disproportionately affect this base and its customers. I mean it's one thing asking customers to give you the benefit of the doubt and quite another to wait until almost two years later to say 'oh don't expect us to communicate about finishing that base because it'll mess up our accounting system'.

Either it was none of our business and we weren't to be told or it is and we can be told. (2 years later) Can't have it both ways like that. It doesn't appear transparent at all.

Yes, this was an issue. I totally agree. My point is that the same regulations don't cover both scenarios. That's all.

Not to mention that the previous problem with things changing after they'd been said to consumers is an additional good reason not to talk early about anything that could still change now. The fact is, it is a problem when that happens. And it can't always be fixed by including the thing you said you would - what if that thing just isn't working? Should they put out a bad product just because they said, too early, that they would?

But then when someone raises the issue that it's situations such as this which has absolutely caused the erosion of trust in the product, company and team and the only response from EA is 'Well we consider we were transparent' then not only are you dismissing valid concerns coming from valid issues but it sets up this further alienation of customers who have been loyal until the poor experience. Instead of making it better it is absolutely making it worse.

Now if they came out and said 'We are really sorry that what we said didn't translate well and you feel that has negatively affected your experience as our customer and we will be looking into how to avoid this in the future' with a real display of comprehension and taking these situations seriously by referencing what you can take from them then at least you have some ownership of mistakes made and people who want to believe in them can feel better that the poor experience will hopefully lead to something better in the future.

Instead you have a situation where customers who have been loyal for over a decade are being made to feel like they are 'wrong' and their goodwill is being thrown away with a refusal to accept their experience because it doesn't match what EA 'considers' it did. That's not sensible for the long term health of the series whether those customers decide that TS4 is not for them or not.

It worries me that there doesn't seem to be any movement on trying to restore the trust of those who feel let down by acknowledging the issues and showing work on them. That doesn't bode well to me at all.

Now I understand that they may not be finding it easy to communicate given the previous issues but you have to start somewhere in dealing with issues. Pretending they aren't issues doesn't fix anything.

I also understand what you are saying and it's likely they don't want to share in case this engine is difficult to alter in the areas customers are calling out for improvements in. But I really think it's a shame where in the past if there were issues that would be communicated but now it's silence. Noone is suggesting any of this is easy-on anyone-but I know EA can do better than this total rejection of criticism. I'm disappointed in them for not dealing with it and trying to push it towards people who have been amongst their most loyal and loving supporters over the years. That's really not good enough.

Oh and on your edit. I agree. The base really was nowhere near cooked enough for general release when it went out.
  • SimJoseph7SimJoseph7 Posts: 110 Member
    Anything that changes prior to a base game release does not fall under the same revenue recognition / quarter issue as at that point we hadn't collected any money for it (pre-orders aren't considered recognized revenue until AFTER release). Anything stated about any future content after a release is a different story as we have already recognized revenue for the base game and thus what Luth describes goes into affect.

Hi... I'm more a lurker these days but this puzzles me.

Revenue is only recognized after release, correct?

So, the part that puzzles me greatly; If you talk about new content OR don't talk of new content, wouldn't the revenue be STILL be collected at the same (read as the latter date) dates irrespective of talking about it early?

If I am unclear with that, here is an example:

1. First Quarter - working on Pack 99. No talk until Third Quarter, which is also the Release. Revenue Recognized in Third Quarter.
    2. First Quarter - working on Pack 99. Talk also about it in First Quarter. Release and Revenue Recognized in Third Quarter.

That is what I seem to have extrapolated from what you stated. Of course being human (SimJoseph7 really isn't a Sim o:) ), I have been known to be wrong on occasion.

Not trying to stir the pot here, just trying to understand the lack of perceived non-communication over The Sims.

I have very little stake here because I have not bought the game and probably never will. Some day I may write a post of why from the viewpoint of an old man who plays too many games ;)
    Joseph
    Dreams Never Die, Just The Dreamer...
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    @SimGuruDrake, that was honest and eye opening. Have a safe trip home.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top