Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions for Gamescom Q&A Panel

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited August 2016
    Evalen wrote: »
    Evalen wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Thank you for answering this, but players have their doubts. We are not asking "When toddlers or other stuff will come". All players want some kind of assurance from EA, like "be patient, we are working on that" "Rest assured, it will come in time"
    Instead of all that all the players get is "We cannot talk about future content"

This kind of reply became so annoying that it feels it is an auto reply from an answering machine.

I remember asking one of the gurus when the Sims 2 base game was released in one of those live chats if they intend to release rain since it was supposed to be in the base game, you know what did he answer me? "No, it wont be rain alone but full seasons"
    Someone else asked if pets will be part of Sims 2 and the answer was "Who don't want pets? it has to come"

What happened to this kind of honesty? It gave us players so much to look forward to. It is totally the opposite with TS4. We players feel that EA is not trusting its own product that is why does not want to talk about the possibilities.

Whatever happened to the strong foundation we've been told about?? If in 2 years this foundation is still not touched when it will? We all know every base game has a life cycle of 5 years and we are nearing half the life cycle of TS4 and you can still read lots of dissatisfaction of the direction.

Edit: And this is coming from someone who loves The TS4!!

Ahhh ... how refreshing that would be. And yes, that's sort of what I meant with basic honesty & very basic indication of direction. And no matter what they and some other people here say, there are a LOT of games / game series that tell you well in advance, sometimes while still in the development stage, what kind of stuff players can expect. I mean look at the way Planet Coaster is released - wait, they want player's input even before officially releasing the game to make it better for them?

Mindblowing stuff...

I agree, there are lots of games who tell us what is coming. I agree about planet coaster. If you ask them they give you an ans. not some kind of "We can't talk about that" Why can't you talk about it. I think if toddlers or pre teens were coming in the future, they would be screaming it from the rooftop, with all the request that have been asked. If they are a simple little thing like "Were looking into it. that does not tell us when it is coming or anything that would break your rule, you have no trouble saying "Were looking into it" when some one ask about a bug.
    It is just that simmer want to be excited about things to come. But we hear nothing. Look how long they have told us that EP3 is coming, but then silence, they tell us nothing. Look how long and how many post are about the coming EP3. We don't even know for a fact if it is coming in Sept, Oct, etc or even this year yet, not a confirmation. Do they think that just telling us that a EP is coming is a good relationship. How about the Brazil leak of City Life, they make no comment on it if it is true or false, they just let us keep posting speculations,
    How about like they have said that the EP3 is coming and say nothing about it. How about just saying toddlers are coming in the future.
    that sounds safe enough to me.
    It is not that we are angry that we do not have toddler or preteens, it is the silence about them. Please let us know one way or the other.

That's a base game, Planet Coaster? The issue with talking about stuff concerns changes being made to an already released base game. It doesn't affect pre-base game discussion. Discussing anything that's going to be patched into an already released game isn't "safe" outside the same quarter that patching is going to happen in.

We've been told EP3 is in development many times. Presumably there's a full-on announcement planned... just not till they can say when that release is planned for. If there's associated patched-in content, they probably can't do that till the quarter of release. Of course people want to talk about upcoming content. That doesn't mean that it works out well for Maxis to announce it before they even have a set release date, it doesn't mean that a marketing campaign can be designed to keep interest going for months and months without that campaign being overly expensive for the content. An EP sells at less than the initial base game, and never to as many people; giving it as much marketing and publicity resources as a base game just because ... I don't see it. Honestly, I think more Simmers just need to stop expecting to be constantly fed new info, but only new info about the parts of new game stuff they're interested in.

Re. Toddlers: Pretty much the only ways they're going to get discussed outside a release quarter (unless they get 100% ruled out and that gets announced) is if they aren't going to get patched in, not even at a very basic level. It's just not going to happen, and saying it should happen over and over again isn't going to change the regulations that make it not an option. And given the role that those regulations can play in fraud-prevention, and in the kinds of larger-scale economic balance things @Scobre talks about, maybe they matter more than knowing earlier about toddlers in a video game does.

edited to fix italics

As you say we have been told EP3 is in development many times
    Well how about telling us many time if toddlers is in development. Not when but just in development.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Sims 4, but I hate that they do not tell us much of anything that is coming. I liked it when we heard in Sims 3 what was coming, not when, but had a excitement of coming things in the future.
    I just hate all the secrets.

If toddlers are in development, they can only tell you so if they're never going to patch them in - only sell them to you - or when it's the quarter they're going to be patched in during.

As for my preference on that? I'd much rather have them patched in than just be told earlier. I think there'd be huge backlash if toddlers are made but have to be bought if you want them. And that backlash would start the moment that you were told, not the same quarter as release, that toddlers were in development.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    But there isn't any revenue generated by free content, so what's that got to do with revenue accounting?
    edited August 2016
    IngeJones wrote: »
    But there isn't any revenue generated by free content, so what's that got to do with revenue accounting?

The free content is part of the base game, which is still being sold. People buying the base game now are buying whatever they're told it is, patched content included. It's that revenue accounting that is affected.

It seems like a small thing when we're talking, say, adding new hair in a patch. But there aren't separate rules for small additions to a game and big changes to enterprise software that costs a million bucks to buy for your whole large company. (And now suddenly some of my husband's end-of-the-workday headaches make sense. Oh.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Weren't the influencers supposed to be allowed to post about the panels already? We were told there would be no embargo on that and we might see articles about it as early as yesterday evening. But I don't see any mention of it anywhere.

According to Twitter they're all having too much fun. :D Maybe we'll see something today or when they return home.

Having checked out rachybop, simsvip and beyondsims twitter accounts they're not saying much at all since they got there, not even that they're having fun. It's weird. Usually there is far far more output from one of these events, even if it's just about who is twerking in the bathroom.
    Oh I know what I want to ask. Why are some of the Influencers only appearing as cardboard avatars instead of in the flesh? Are they really daleks or something behind their masks?
  • bandcampsquirrelbandcampsquirrel Posts: 2,187 Member
    Hello everyone! I just wanted to stop in here to clarify somethings about the panel:

1. Those who attend will absolutely be able to share what they learn after the panel is over.
    2. There are two portions for this panel. The first is hosted by myself and is about what goes into deciding what influencers we work with / how content creators can start building relationships with us. The second is hosted by Lyndsay and Rachel and will be giving some insight into how far we've come with The Sims 4 since launch, explaining the addition of Game Packs and what they have to offer, and what exactly goes into development for content on The Sims 4.
    3. The Q&A will be focusing solely on the above items that we discuss. We are not talking about future content, we are not making any announcements about content, and we aren't giving hints to anything.
    4. We are taking this opportunity to grow stronger relationships with our international community who sometimes feel left out of things since our North American community tends to get more opportunities for things since our studio is based here.

I hope that helps clear things up :)

In reply to the bolded statement:

@SimGuruDrake don't worry we will not ask about future content, because we don't think there will be any, at least an interesting one.

We will just wait for your announcement of shutting down the sims 4 and the sims franchise as a whole. That is the only news me and at least some other players think we are going to hear from EA officially.

Well the reality is that you are setting yourself up for disappointment with that mindset because you will always be looking for something negative rather than giving content a chance to stand on its own. I know the future is bright for this game and it's mind boggling to see how my panels are somehow sending you off in this direction.

I stand by what I've said that we have been as transparent and forth coming as we can be with the confines that we work in. If you don't want to take it at face value and want to run off with it in wild directions that is your prerogative but it is no where near the truth.

The studio isn't being shut down, we aren't being silent, and EPs are very much still a thing. The game isn't being turned into a mobile game and it's not being treated as an MMO. Gamescom (and any gaming event really) isn't always the place to make announcements for things and will never dictate how we make announcements.

Additionally, influencers aren't just people creating YouTube content or streaming on twitch or running fan sites. Every person in this forum is an influencer in their own way, you can see it every time a speculation thread gets created and whether or not it will take off like wild fire. You are influenced in your every day life by the music you listen to, shows or movies you watch, your friends, your parents, your teachers, social media, forums, etc.

I know that you can't talk about the T word, but thanks so much for at least telling us that this game isn't going to turn into an MMO, that makes my day :)
  • PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited August 2016
    Nevermind. I didn't see SimTimes has been posted already.
    Post edited by Phantomflex on
    Oh I know what I want to ask. Why are some of the Influencers only appearing as cardboard avatars instead of in the flesh? Are they really daleks or something behind their masks?

They aren't actually there in the flesh :)
    Ok well in that case *I* am attending next time, if I can get my avatar into the suitcase of someone who is going
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member

I've only seen cardboard @Cinderellimouse. It was a joke because she was unable to attend. Are there others?
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member

They aren't actually there in the flesh :)

Am I an influencer? Wow! Thanks! It would have been nice to have been told. And there I was.. thinking a friend had seen that I was sad because I was missing out on something, and they thought it would be kind and funny to take a cardboard me along so I felt included!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    Weren't the influencers supposed to be allowed to post about the panels already? We were told there would be no embargo on that and we might see articles about it as early as yesterday evening. But I don't see any mention of it anywhere.

According to Twitter they're all having too much fun. :D Maybe we'll see something today or when they return home.

Having checked out rachybop, simsvip and beyondsims twitter accounts they're not saying much at all since they got there, not even that they're having fun. It's weird. Usually there is far far more output from one of these events, even if it's just about who is twerking in the bathroom.

Not sure about the others but I don't think SimsVIP had a representative there. I do know Alexis didn't go.
    And yes. I am a dalek. And know you know I'm afraid I have to erase your memory. Look at this pen please @IngeJones.

sonic-screwdriver.jpg
    Also, if anyone would care to tell me what was discussed at the panel, that'd be great too. Cardboard me is hopeless and forgets everything. She really should pay more attention.
    Ok well in that case *I* am attending next time, if I can get my avatar into the suitcase of someone who is going

Just to be very very very clear. I didn't ask Annabel to take a cardboard image of my avatar to the event. It was a surprise. A nice surprise. It made me really happy and I felt included. She's a really good friend.
    Also, if anyone would care to tell me what was discussed at the panel, that'd be great too. Cardboard me is hopeless and forgets everything. She really should pay more attention.

Check it!

From Julyvee: The Sims Panel and my Experience at Gamescom 2016
    https://julyvee94.wordpress.com/2016/08/19/the-sims-panel-and-my-experience-at-gamescom-2016/

Check it!

https://julyvee94.wordpress.com/2016/08/19/the-sims-panel-and-my-experience-at-gamescom-2016/

Thank you Luth. A few of my friends were lucky enough to attend but they've obviously been doing a lot of travelling and must be really tired. I could have DM'd them and picked their brains but I wanted to give them time to digest everything and write it up in their own time.

Cardboard-me was really happy to meet Julyvee! <3

Just to be very very very clear. I didn't ask Annabel to take a cardboard image of my avatar to the event. It was a surprise. A nice surprise. It made me really happy and I felt included. She's a really good friend.

Well I might not be as polite as you, I might simply stow away and surprise them :p

Well I might not be as polite as you, I might simply stow away and surprise them :p

That would be fun too. I secretly hope Annabel somehow sneaked Cardboard-Cinderelli into SimGuruRachel's suitcase so she can hide behind plants at EA HQ and find out all the seeeeeeekitz! :D
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member

Check it!

Awesome, thanks for sharing. An interesting read.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member

Check it!

Great and insightful blog about the panel, thanks for sharing the link. :smile:
  • andre1906andre1906 Posts: 89 Member
    Island Paradise and Into the Future were announced without screens and videos. They teased us for months about basketball and other things when they were marketing the base game, SimGuruGrant had to say on Twitter "Things change". Planet Coaster, Cities Skylines and even Microsoft (Windows Insider) have a open relationship with their community, announcing and showing content in development.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Thanks for sharing the link!
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I just read all of that but I got one problem with it, they claim that All Play Styles should be Covered, Yet in Fact Not All are, cause if they were all covered, Then I would not Still be waiting for My Gothic Characters and Stuff to use for My Gothic Type Game Play.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top