Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will The Sims 4 Only Have Four Expansions Total?

12345679...Next

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    We'll probably get more than 4 EPs in the lifespan of the game. They could have periods where they decided to work on SPs and GPs more, and then the next period could be almost entirely devoted to working on EPs for the future.

But if what people want is for the BG to be fixed before any more packs come out, I guess that they should completely halt any packs their working on and devote all of it to the BG, since the packs are absolutely useless for anyone if the BG isn't good enough. Because bugs keep getting introduced in packs and break the game, because it's not like packs have done that before a lot of times before TS4. So just shut down any DLC operations and get to work on just making mega-patches for the rest of this game, with DLC being a no-go until the BG is entirely fixed to the "perfect" standards that everybody will absolutely agree on and have no problems about. Yeah, realistic standards and expectations.

From what we've been told there are separate teams for EP's, GP's, SP's and 'engagement features' (free content). It stands to reason that each team should be able to accomplish their own projects without halting another team or their progress. At most I would assume resources could be shared between teams, but that should never affect production, if so that means they are understaffed.

There are separate teams, but remember that they can shift resources to other packs that they feel need more in order to be completed or polished enough. During the news drought earlier this year, with the extreme lack of any packs or news, they most likely shifted resources and presumably a bit more man power to working on the gender patch. This could've been done in tandem with the 2 SPs and the GP released, but they made it clear that their focus was on this patch. If the EP was being worked on during this time, it's possible that they, along with the other pack teams, went to help the engagement team with converting with some spare resources they may have had left over from the development stage, or by deciding to have some of the staff working under the team to help out with the gargantuan task of conversion, along with the gender options and new lighting developed.

Then again, maybe the EP team just decided to spend nearly a year to create a pack that would feel "complete" to many of the Simmers, especially the family part, which they've known are one of the most vocal and biggest subsets (at least here) of the Sims fanbase.
    Means I must be louder for deviant players like me too. >:) No play style left behind!

If they release toddlers, then we all can move on to supernaturals. Hallelu!!!!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2016
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Supernatural vampire and werewolf toddlers that bite! <3 Fairies and mermaids would be cool too. I love supernaturals. I really would love to see ghost pets again too and hopefully something new with catdogs or vampire kitties or zombie dogs or Voidcritters as pets.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    Rofl. The thread title made me laugh. But in all seriousness, I can see why one would think that. Although, I have heard multiple times that The Sims 4 may last longer than usual. So to answer this question: possibly.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options

Supernatural vampire and werewolf toddlers that bite! <3 Fairies and mermaids would be cool too. I love supernaturals. I really would love to see ghost pets again too and hopefully something new with catdogs or vampire kitties or zombie dogs or Voidcritters as pets.

I suggested somewhere about having the big, stuffed animals come to life and be like a spooky imaginary friend that only kids can see move. I definitely want kids to have at least some level of power. Maybe a witch child who can't control their power yet, gets mad and sets things on fire accidentally or toys dance and fly around while they sleep. If we got toddlers, how cute would it be to see a vamp toddler biting their sibling (or stuffed animal) on the neck while wrestling.
  • Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    4 expansions total? if we're lucky. the less damage that the current camarilla does to the franchise the better. i just hope so much damage hasn't already been done that it can't rebound.

Interesting points, but what is a camarilla?

Let Google be your friend :D
    A camarilla is a group of courtiers or favourites who surround a king or ruler. Usually, they do not hold any office or have any official authority at court but influence their ruler behind the scenes.

Ah, yes, but I just did an internet search and all I got for my efforts was it's a city in Ventura County, CA (which I already knew being from CA originally) or that is was a Spanish or Cuban dish. Than you, so very much for the definition, as it was meant in the reference. :)

:D I just Googled the word and that definition was at the top of the first page.

Well, there, you see, that was my problem I don't Google. I hate Google. They spy on us and collect our information to sell. Or weren't you aware of this?

Apple does that too, and so does Microsoft and Facebook.

duckduck go doesn't :smile: Granted, we might not get as many options but I would rather have the security and have to ask someone than use google and be tracked everywhere with a bloated browser.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

I suggested somewhere about having the big, stuffed animals come to life and be like a spooky imaginary friend that only kids can see move. I definitely want kids to have at least some level of power. Maybe a witch child who can't control their power yet, gets mad and sets things on fire accidentally or toys dance and fly around while they sleep. If we got toddlers, how cute would it be to see a vamp toddler biting their sibling (or stuffed animal) on the neck while wrestling.
    Those are adorable ideas. I love them. Having stuffed animals come to life would be interesting.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    Sc3niX wrote: »
    I think its rather alarming that they haven't released one expansion this year. Perhaps they're pulling the plug and working on a brand new game o:)

I hope.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    That person again complaining the game isn't up to his standards? What is his standards? I mean I realize everyone wants toddlers and the EP haven't been the best so far but they still add things to the game. The game is good and gets better with all the content added to it things like toddlers for me personally isn't really going to be a huge game changer in my honest opinion. This is the newest video of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcaxElIP4p4

Thanks for posting that. Hadn't seen it yet. I happen to agree. To me the base game should be a stand alone and packs should just be things to enhance what the game already has. They shouldn't be just for adding stuff to do because of an empty base.

I agree 100 per cent with him and what I have been saying about Sims 4 for a long time.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    tonicmoletonicmole Posts: 121 Member
    edited August 2016
    It looks like to me Sims 4 will either have a much shorter life, or merely release far less content within it's lifetime. I do agree that there will be 4 EP's max. It's sad to come back hear 2 years after the game launched and see people who honestly believe that toddlers, seasons, or pets is just around the corner. None of those are happening. My assumption is that the last 2 EP's will be off the wall idea's like Get Together. The problem is that they have not and will not deviate from the original plan they set out back when it was an MMO. The first two EP's proved that. Both would have worked great for an MMO, but don't make as much since in an offline game. In two years they have not addressed a single complaint from the fans. Their priorities are pretty obvious. Don't bother asking or waiting for The Sims 4 to be fixed, or old content restored. It is what it is.
    What's the deal with the creepy Sim in the yellow shirt, and glasses? The one right up there! I'm guessing what ever he is it starts with "serial".
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2016
    Imho, you can add all the stuff packs you want but most will still want better gameplay and much better features that really add to the game. In other games old and new is mixed together. While Sims 4 is not all bad it just do not have that special touch Imho and at the rate it is moving it may not. Sadly I may have to wait for Sims 4 to end and the next version(if they do) to come out, if it is so I have plenty of new games that can be played.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    We'll probably get more than 4 EPs in the lifespan of the game. They could have periods where they decided to work on SPs and GPs more, and then the next period could be almost entirely devoted to working on EPs for the future.

But if what people want is for the BG to be fixed before any more packs come out, I guess that they should completely halt any packs their working on and devote all of it to the BG, since the packs are absolutely useless for anyone if the BG isn't good enough. Because bugs keep getting introduced in packs and break the game, because it's not like packs have done that before a lot of times before TS4. So just shut down any DLC operations and get to work on just making mega-patches for the rest of this game, with DLC being a no-go until the BG is entirely fixed to the "perfect" standards that everybody will absolutely agree on and have no problems about. Yeah, realistic standards and expectations.

From what we've been told there are separate teams for EP's, GP's, SP's and 'engagement features' (free content). It stands to reason that each team should be able to accomplish their own projects without halting another team or their progress. At most I would assume resources could be shared between teams, but that should never affect production, if so that means they are understaffed.

There are separate teams, but remember that they can shift resources to other packs that they feel need more in order to be completed or polished enough. During the news drought earlier this year, with the extreme lack of any packs or news, they most likely shifted resources and presumably a bit more man power to working on the gender patch. This could've been done in tandem with the 2 SPs and the GP released, but they made it clear that their focus was on this patch. If the EP was being worked on during this time, it's possible that they, along with the other pack teams, went to help the engagement team with converting with some spare resources they may have had left over from the development stage, or by deciding to have some of the staff working under the team to help out with the gargantuan task of conversion, along with the gender options and new lighting developed.

Then again, maybe the EP team just decided to spend nearly a year to create a pack that would feel "complete" to many of the Simmers, especially the family part, which they've known are one of the most vocal and biggest subsets (at least here) of the Sims fanbase.
    Means I must be louder for deviant players like me too. >:) No play style left behind!

I would think that logically Supernaturals would be added first, that is if they plan to add either. Creating a much smaller life stage and all that it would need seems like it would be much more time consuming than adapting an existing life stage/size.

But like I said....if they plan to add either. At this point I'm not so sure.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    Sc3niX wrote: »
    I think its rather alarming that they haven't released one expansion this year. Perhaps they're pulling the plug and working on a brand new game o:)

I hope.

Same here. Although I don't have a whole lotta hope for what comes next if it's the same people that gave us ts4. Def won't be a pre-order this next time.
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    I keep checking back every once in a while to see what news comes out. Kinda waiting on a EP with rockstar careers to come for my sim before I get back into the game, but I always find that there is no news. Like at all.

So yeah, as slow as EP progress seems to be going I can see them only having 4 or 5 EP's total. I'll keep my fingers crossed that means they shifted resources to the next game instead of beating the dead horse but really who knows. Maxis has been doing TS games for a long time now, maybe they are just bored to death of it all.
  • Options
    I was hoping this thread had finally died. Rockstar will never be a career.
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member

Not at this rate it won't be, no. :s
  • Options
    PuffyPuffy Posts: 393 Member
    I have another way of thinking that they will release more expansion pack versions than we expect. After all, business and money matters everything. If they setup sims 4 in right-way and add on new world and new expansions seem easier. Perhaps more new add on like sims 3 e.g sunset titles new world as an expansion world will come. And the new world and new feature add on even more make sense than sims 3. Because Sims 4 world all connected with existing neighborhood. Most of us are willing to pay money to buy to add new experience world for existing sims household we have. While during sims 3, buying for new world have no incentive for me as I always just play sunset valley which have generations there. The sell will go up even a lot higher than sims 3 for all new world and expansions. I am not surprise of more new feature expansions world pack will happen in 2017.
  • Options
    GypsyPrinceGypsyPrince Posts: 118 Member
    Oh dear
    tumblr_inline_o71dfpqzOU1sqclzs_500.gif
    tumblr_inline_o3jhkfwImJ1rfgyve_500.gif
    Capital FLOP
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

Heck they dont even have the military career :neutral:
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Marnetti wrote: »
    Rofl. The thread title made me laugh. But in all seriousness, I can see why one would think that. Although, I have heard multiple times that The Sims 4 may last longer than usual. So to answer this question: possibly.
    That is it in a nutshell, it may last four years and it may last ten years (The game might be so bloated by then even a high end will be struggling). :)

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I think that Graham said once that the teams can work on more than one project at once with the live service model, so isn't it possible the EP team has been developing two EPs in tandem?
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    The Sims 4 is actually very well made. It is probably more technically reliable than its predecessors, and the best supported by devs in terms of bugfixes, and interaction between staff and players. It's a very competent production.

However, it seems to have come at a price. Never before have I felt so hemmed in by "the way it's designed to be played". I always felt I had more freedom of expression as a player in previous titles in the series.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    IngeJones wrote: »
    The Sims 4 is actually very well made. It is probably more technically reliable than its predecessors, and the best supported by devs in terms of bugfixes, and interaction between staff and players. It's a very competent production.

However, it seems to have come at a price. Never before have I felt so hemmed in by "the way it's designed to be played". I always felt I had more freedom of expression as a player in previous titles in the series.
    Yes and for me that price is too heavy and while it may be well built it appears that some features will not work with it and for me that is a shame.

• Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    4 expansions total? if we're lucky. the less damage that the current camarilla does to the franchise the better. i just hope so much damage hasn't already been done that it can't rebound.

Interesting points, but what is a camarilla?

Let Google be your friend :D
    A camarilla is a group of courtiers or favourites who surround a king or ruler. Usually, they do not hold any office or have any official authority at court but influence their ruler behind the scenes.

Ah, yes, but I just did an internet search and all I got for my efforts was it's a city in Ventura County, CA (which I already knew being from CA originally) or that is was a Spanish or Cuban dish. Than you, so very much for the definition, as it was meant in the reference. :)

OMG I'm like so :lol: right now

--T

I LOVE your siggie! My youngest son has that on a T-shirt. LOL ;)

Thank you :)

--T
  • Options
    shacoriashacoria Posts: 247 Member
    edited August 2016
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    No.

Rachel said they aren't following the normal release schedule and instead will make packs "until it doesn't make sense anymore".

So they will make packs until they run out of ideas, or the ones they come up with no longer make sense for the game and are better off for a new game. So there's plenty of pack ideas that can fit into The Sims 4.

The typical "4-5 year schedule" isn't applying to The Sims 4 according to Rachel.

And seeing as she's head of Maxis now, there's even more weight to her statement.

I would say that the 4-5 year schedule thing isn't really based entirely on what the developers or game creators want though. I mean, that's also a part of a general schedule based on fan interest as well. Most people aren't going to be still interested in Sims 4 after 5 years (and that goes for most video games as well). By then, you will be craving the next installment in the series and wanting something new. So, for Rachel to say that they won't be doing the 5 year schedule anymore, the question is, will the fan interest still be there after 5 years. I mean, when it's 2025, I'm not still going to be wanting to play Sims 4 and still waiting for them to finally put out a generations or seasons expansion pack! So, I think realistically, the game really does have a time table of about 4-5 years, maybe 6 or 7 at the most, no matter what.

As for us only getting 4 expansion packs over the course of the game, I think they would be doing a great disservice to us as players if they did that and that would make me seriously question their judgment. The only reason I can be okay with some of the stuff they are putting out now is because I expect the things we know and love (pet, seasons, etc) to be coming later. If they never come at all, then that would be really strange. No disrespect to them, but I think it is an incredible lack of judgment to release some of the super specific stuff they have released and not release normal things like pets and seasons in a life simulation game.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    @Dannydanbo the stuff animals are alive they open and close there eyes
    more for sim kids and more drama please