Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which hair type do you prefer? Alpha or clay?

naomehnaomeh Posts: 367 Member
edited July 2017 in CAS Custom Content
Almost a year later. I failed to mention that I don't have access to the files from before, so I have no real good examples.
Restored original post & changed to better clay examples.

There are way better examples of both in the replies.

Which type of hair do you like more?

Alpha
qC362Ac.png?1T5msbTn.png?1

Clay
B34wXgx.png?3bT7ZvYn.png?2

Comparison:
ODTl4Ny.png?1
FT2nvzQ.png?1
Post edited by naomeh on

Comments

• King4510411King4510411 Posts: 2,056 Member
    I like Alpha's hair better. It looks smoother and less choppy
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I like alpha hair, but not in TS4 cause like you said seeing a mix of clay and alpha on townies is too jarring
    Also I play on lower settings and alpha hair tends to look really bad in lower LODs, with transparent parts turning flesh colored.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • naomehnaomeh Posts: 367 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    I like alpha hair, but not in TS4 cause like you said seeing a mix of clay and alpha on townies is too jarring
    Also I play on lower settings and alpha hair tends to look really bad in lower LODs, with transparent parts turning flesh colored.

It's true. My idea is to use MC Command Center's Dresser to slowly blacklist all clay hairs, so hopefully new townies won't be generated with them... I'm not 100% sure how this will even go as I haven't tried it yet. Just a theory... a Sims theory!~ :p

Hopefully it works.
  • sweetbluekiana1sweetbluekiana1 Posts: 167 Member
    Alpha. It's much more attractive looking in my opinion.
  • naomehnaomeh Posts: 367 Member
    lsarm55 wrote: »
    Clay hair with great textures

They can look nicer. The one I chose isn't the best looking, but it's the only one I happened to have the clay version and a similar alpha hair of. Do you think it'll skew the results?
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Yeah, I did find some replacement textures for BG hair. I like the clay style, but the textures aren't the best (though they've gotten much better). The base game hairs are still super bad though, especially ones like the large afro that barely have a texture.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    Clay hair fits the S4 art style, though I have a couple of alpha hairs because they were just too pretty to pass up, lol
  • InfinitexSimsInfinitexSims Posts: 239 Member
    edited August 2016
    Both have my heart. I use both in game, lol I don't really mind the difference.
    chimera-evil-gif-teen-wolf-Favim.com-3963872.gif
    Theo♥
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    Clay all the way.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    Alpha. Looks more 'natural', if you will.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • lejoninnalejoninna Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited August 2016
    Simpkin wrote: »
    I prefer the clay hair.
    I think the other hairs make sims look like prostitutes.

ya + custom skins make them look beat up
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I prefer clay. But that's a reasonably nice looking alpha hair in the pic, normally I hate them.
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    Alpha. Clay hair looks like paste but I only have 1 piece of cc so I have to keep looking at that mess
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    edited August 2016
    I used to love Alpha, because it looks more natural - but in my opinion, it just doesn't fit into the style of The Sims 4. So for TS4 specifically, I prefer the "Clay"-look.
    Alpha CC on a clay-styled layout just doesn't look good to me.

ETA: My Sim, Addison Fowler (Frost), with her old Alpha hairstyle, compared to after I switched to TS4's artstyle hair.

Before:
    02-03-16_2-38-38nbspPM_1.png
    After: (Best recent close-up that I have of her)
    07-26-16_6-57-32nbspPM.png
  • TrimothTrimoth Posts: 418 Member
    I like clay because it fits ts4 style much better but I also enjoy alpha for special events. In general I stick to clay because sims look odd walking around with alpha in regular everyday
    tumblr_np609wKvSy1ssn1m9o2_540.jpg

Origin id: trimoth

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I like Alpha 2
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Alpha it makes it loo more realistic.
    giphy_1.gif
  • SelSel Posts: 430 Member
    yeah, the problem with ts4 is you either play maxis-match or have to make over all the sims completely, since it wouldn't make sense to have for example a newsea hair for everyday and then a EA hair for sleepwear or something :D
    i prefer maxis-match hair, but not "clayified" versions of "normal" hair, cause that just ends up looking kinda weird like someone just took their mesh and forgot to give it textures or something :D
    Origin ID: Selxna
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I used to love Alpha, because it looks more natural - but in my opinion, it just doesn't fit into the style of The Sims 4. So for TS4 specifically, I prefer the "Clay"-look.
    Alpha CC on a clay-styled layout just doesn't look good to me.

This.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • InfinitexSimsInfinitexSims Posts: 239 Member
    Sel wrote: »
    yeah, the problem with ts4 is you either play maxis-match or have to make over all the sims completely, since it wouldn't make sense to have for example a newsea hair for everyday and then a EA hair for sleepwear or something :D
    i prefer maxis-match hair, but not "clayified" versions of "normal" hair, cause that just ends up looking kinda weird like someone just took their mesh and forgot to give it textures or something :D

I actually always do that. I.E i would put a alpha hair for everyday and a clay hair formal. I don't mind the difference
    chimera-evil-gif-teen-wolf-Favim.com-3963872.gif
    Theo♥
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    Clay all the way. :wink:
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif