Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Plum Tree Family Tree Tool: Developers Wanted

ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
I've got news for those of you who have been looking for an alternative family tree tool to track your sim families in - we've launched a public beta for our family tree app, The Plum Tree.

We made this web app specifically for TS4, so you can add your sims' traits, aspirations and bios as well. The Plum Tree can be accessed from most standard web browsers. You can learn more about what the tool does and how it works here.

To start creating family trees just head on over to theplumtreeapp.com and create your account.

Check out the post below for quick links and latest news - we are currently looking to expand the team; more info below. Happy simming!

PiDBHIU.jpg

Post edited by ThePlumbob on

Comments

• ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    edited June 2021
    Useful information:
    • Guides - Just signed up and wondering how to create a tree or add people to it? Start here!
    • Features - What can the web app do and where are its limitations right now? Find out here!
    • FAQ - Got a question? Check if someone else asked to get your answer quicker!
    • Roadmap - What are our plans for the future? Learn about upcoming features!
    How can you contact us? We're always looking for user feedback and suggestions! There's several ways to get in touch - comment on this thread, send me a PM here on the forums or check out the contact section of the website.

Share your tree! We would love to see our users' family trees! If you would like to show us your sim family, publish your tree and post the link here on the thread!

Latest News (22 June 2021)
    Hi all!

As @ThePlumbob has mentioned previously I'm currently a bit stretched for time to add all the features I and the community want for the plum tree. The plum tree is built by just me, a single developer and not an entire team as many seem to believe. However I'm toying with the idea of changing that.

I want to see if there is any interest for volunteers to join me.

The plum tree makes no money (it loses quite a bit instead each month to server costs) so I can't pay anyone.

I'm also only looking for people with at least some skills in the programming language, frameworks and technology the plum tree is built on. This is JavaScript, ReactJS and REST APIs. I don't have the available time to teach all of this to someone new but if you already know some of this I am willing to work and help people up-skill where there might be gaps.

I'm intrigued to how interest there would be in people joining me in building the plum tree.

If you are interested feel free to drop me an email info@theplumtreeapp.com, reply in this thread or DM me on the forums.
    Post edited by ThePlumbob on
  • emluckysunshineemluckysunshine Posts: 58 Member
    Awesome!! Thank you so much for this. I've been waiting to see when you were releasing this every since you talked about it in another thread. Going to sign up now!! Again, thank you ;)
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Ooh! I saw you mention it in a thread before and thought it would be a great way to 'document' my long on-going legacy (currently in generation 15!)
    Thank you for sharing this with us! :blush:
    @emluckysunshine & @Omri147 Thanks guys, we hope you like it! (And wow, generation 15? :open_mouth: That's impressive, the furthest I've gotten so far is generation 9!)
  • lejoninnalejoninna Posts: 4,287 Member
    awesome! signed up right away and am now adding people, it works perfectly! :)
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Thank you so much for the tag on this @ThePlumbob!!! :) Headed there now. Woot woot! :)
    p8L4V6v.png
    edited August 2016
    Oh, before I forget, HUGE thanks to our alpha testers ( @ra3rei , @Marialein , @Pegasus143 , @CitizenErased14 & @JoieWilder ) and beta testers ( @fabeme @Zafireria @IchiRukii @lalalalanala , @jeepjeepcat , @dafadolly , @iheartdinosx3 , @pammiechick , @Lovely_Kristy , @lbsykes , @Hannie & @halimali1980 ) for testing this out and giving us valuable feedback! We wouldn't be launching this without you! :)

Special thanks to the alpha testers - We are still in beta, but so much further than we were a couple months ago when you bravely volunteered to test this for us! Thank you! <3
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Ok, is this a phone app or what?
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
    i like how you can zoom in and out really far
    Simpkin wrote: »

@Simpkin Hey, not exactly, you just access it from your browser - it should work from a phone (browser depending) but I'd recommend using it on a PC or tablet for more ease (also makes things easier when uploading your sims' images, since you can just take them directly from your screenshots folder)
    lejoninna wrote: »
    i like how you can zoom in and out really far

@lejoninna Thanks! We thought it would come in handy with different family sizes and amounts of generations! :)
  • JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    It has been my pleasure to help get this ready for release! I adore Plum Tree.
    I think I'm really gonna like it. It takes some getting used to, a little bit of a learning curve, but I'm getting the hang of it fairly quickly. I like how easy it is (so far) to fix my mistakes. :)
    p8L4V6v.png
    Would be cool if there was a way to distinguish if a sim was a twin or triplet. I always miss that with family trees. Anyone have an idea how I can mark a sim as a twin or trip?
    p8L4V6v.png
    JoieWilder wrote: »
    It has been my pleasure to help get this ready for release! I adore Plum Tree.

@JoieWilder Thank you! :)<3
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    Would be cool if there was a way to distinguish if a sim was a twin or triplet. I always miss that with family trees. Anyone have an idea how I can mark a sim as a twin or trip?

@ChelleJo That's a great suggestion - we love user feedback and ideas! :)

It can get tricky with details like this, since if we add too many things it could get confusing. We want to be able to show as much as possible while still keeping the interface simple. But it's definitely a good point to consider for us - we're constantly releasing updates based on our beta testers suggestions :)

For now, I would probably just mention it in the bio?
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    ThePlumbob wrote: »

@Simpkin Hey, not exactly, you just access it from your browser - it should work from a phone (browser depending) but I'd recommend using it on a PC or tablet for more ease (also makes things easier when uploading your sims' images, since you can just take them directly from your screenshots folder)
    Oh that's great. When I think app I immediately think phone app. I'm not happy with the fact that some things are accessible via phone apps so this is great. Will make an account there.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
    ThePlumbob wrote: »

Oh that's great. When I think app I immediately think phone app. I'm not happy with the fact that some things are accessible via phone apps so this is great. Will make an account there.

Yeah no worries it's a web app :) We definitely want to make it as accessible as possible.
    thank god for the crop tool lol
  • shacoriashacoria Posts: 247 Member
    I would say that it would definitely take some learning to get used to this. It's a good site, just not as intuitive as I would like.
    shacoria wrote: »
    I would say that it would definitely take some learning to get used to this. It's a good site, just not as intuitive as I would like.

@shacoria Thanks for the feedback :) Remember that this is still a beta so it's work in progress. It's a tricky balance to find a way to include all the features while still keeping it simple.

I would definitely suggest having a look at the Guides section first rather than jumping straight in to make getting started easier!
  • SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    This is amazing! I'm actually signing up to maybe start a new challenge for myself.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Got my little tree going now. Ha ha, it's going to take forever to get anywhere for me since I move forward so slowly in my save but I really enjoy having a family and bio in one place.

This is really going to make it more fun to play my little budding legacy <3
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I just started on my family tree, I have 24 generations so it's gonna take a while for me to get it current. I love the site though!
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    This is great! Just signed up :)
    @DaniqaSimmer @SilentKitty @Callum2000 Yay! Thank you guys, hope you enjoy!

@aprilrose Woah, 24 generations? That's amazing - I hope you publish your tree and share it on here when you've got it, I'd love to see that!