Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender Pronouns

I made a transgirl sim but the game still refers to her 'he', and it breaks the immersion a little bit. :( It would've been cool to have the option to choose gender pronouns in CAS in the gender restriction patch. Hopefully it's in the works. What do y'all think?
r8dKk.jpg

Comments

• SuicidalSpidersSuicidalSpiders Posts: 1,733 Member
    Agreed.
  • Arkster93Arkster93 Posts: 154 Member
    No. It's really not something we need.
    I hope it's not "in the works" and the team is actually working on something useful for once.
  • Queen_RoognaQueen_Roogna Posts: 69 Member
    Arkster93 wrote: »
    I hope it's not "in the works" and the team is actually working on something useful for once.

Why, though? I mean EA gave us the option to make trans sims, why not go all the way and call them the right pronouns? It may not of been useful for you, but try not to speak for the rest of the sims community. :)
    r8dKk.jpg
    Because all y'all will never be happy. First, they make trans sims, then y'all be wanting otherkin sims. lmao
  • Queen_RoognaQueen_Roogna Posts: 69 Member
    Arkster93 wrote: »
    Because all y'all will never be happy. First, they make trans sims, then y'all be wanting otherkin sims. lmao

There's probably a mod out there for otherkins sims. I'm just asking for an option to have the game call my sim the right pronoun. Why are you lumping the two in the same boat, anyways? Please go be nasty somewhere else.
    r8dKk.jpg
  • PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    True. It's not something I've noticed because I don't really pay attention to the pronouns my sims get called, but it could be a possibility with the trans options I guess?
    tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    This would be way complicated to implement
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i fully disagree the transgender thing even if i do not like it is my limit so no more changes to the game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • DcD2510DcD2510 Posts: 646 Member
    You know what I am sick of some people not sharing their opinions respectfully.
  • simsimsim_simsimsimsimsimsim_simsimsim Posts: 14 New Member
    They should add a gender preference option too that would be cool.
  • MeepMorpMeepMorp Posts: 85 Member
    I really don't understand how some people can be so vehemently against this and/or trans Sims. But well... anyways. I'm not gonna change your mind no matter what I say. So, back to topic.

It does kinda break immersion that trans Sims are not being adressed by their chosen pronouns and that the player can't choose them. It wouldn't be too much to add I think. But I don't know how this game works. I can look over it, but I understand the wish for it. So why not include it? I think it would be a good addition. Representation is very important. For everyone. Also I'm sure it would be optional just like the gender options. So what's speaking against it? People who don't like it for whatever reasons can just choose to ignore it and everyone else is happy! I'll never understand how someone can be against optional things that bring others comfort and hurt nobody.
  • WenzelWenzel Posts: 75 Member
    Wait, there are three relevant options in CAS if I'm right?

1. the basic choice male/female
    2. phyiscal appearance
    3. sex (can become pregnant/impregnate)

So, the pronoun used for the sim is linked to which of these three options?

• SuicidalSpidersSuicidalSpiders Posts: 1,733 Member
    Wenzel wrote: »
    Wait, there are three relevant options in CAS if I'm right?

1. the basic choice male/female
    2. phyiscal appearance
    3. sex (can become pregnant/impregnate)

So, the pronoun used for the sim is linked to which of these three options?

Most likely the first one...when you choose a masculine or feminine body type probably determines which pronouns are used. I think they could easily add another option in the menu of which pronoun we'd prefer to be used, but have it still defaulted to the body type you initially choose.
    If it is linked to the first one (basic choice), then it is NOT linked to the body type (phsical appearance)! It would be easy and quick o check if I knew where the pronoun is actually used. :D
  • DaphneDaphne Posts: 13 New Member
    If it is linked to the first one (basic choice), then it is NOT linked to the body type (phsical appearance)! It would be easy and quick o check if I knew where the pronoun is actually used. :D

It is linked to the first option. To have the proper pronouns, you have to transition the sex to the initial choice that matches that pronoun (unless you're looking for them/they, which IDK there might be a mod for?). From there, you set the physical appearance to "masculine" if you so desire.

Basically, the determinant of biological sex is no longer the initial "male or female" choice; it's the ability to impregnate.
    So as I've thought, it's actually possible to come up with any combination that you want (in full CAS edit mode).

the first choice sets the pronoun used (click on the masculine or feminine symbol)
    the second choice sets the physical appearance
    the third choice sets the sex (can get pregnant/impregnate)
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    edited August 2016
    There was a topic recently here (in Feedback, perhaps) about the gender pronouns where some of us were talking about having a "they" option as well, but it was pointed out by someone from one of the other-language communities that there would be translation issues. That, at least, shouldn't be an option here. I'd be interested in hearing from the Maxis staff who worked with GLAAD on whether this was an options considered and rejected for Reasons or if it came down to a coding choice. (cc @SimGuruDrake )

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    "they"? :/
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member

"They" is a pronoun commonly used by people who identify as neither male nor female. The singular "they" has been part of the English language for centuries (though the U.S. pushed back against it for the last several decades - something that's rapidly ending: you'll now find the singular "they" in all sorts of publications there).
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

No.
    tagging @SimGuruDrake @SimStaffBethelle to keep watch on this thread to avoid it becomes off topic i may not be a mod here but to the op as a friendly suggestion i would be carful with such topic not all simmers have the same view on the subject and not all simmers plays the same we all have diffrent playstyle after all.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

No. It's bad enough we have to deal with plum sims. Stop trying to push your agendas in a game.

Thank you.
    No. It's bad enough we have to deal with plum sims. Stop trying to push your agendas in a game.

Thank you from me as well and i have pm @SimStaffBethelle a link to this topic so that she can keep watch on it from going off topic or turn into a flame war

• DaphneDaphne Posts: 13 New Member

Thank you from me as well and i have pm @SimStaffBethelle a link to this topic so that she can keep watch on it from going off topic or turn into a flame war

With all due respect, the conversation in this topic was very civil until you came in giving your "warnings." It has been extremely clear since these changes were implemented that you do not like them, therefore the polite thing to do would be to steer clear of threads such as this. You are the dissenting voice. You are the problem. Stop making it seem like the issue is with others.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top