Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Travel Query/Issue - Help Needed

I have no problem sending my sims to world adventures locations or to university, provided they're the first generation. However if I try to send a sim with their children, even if that adult sim has travelled before, we're getting endless loading. This hasn't always been the case, and I've removed all mods that I placed into the game in between being able to freely travel with the second generation and then to being stuck in endless loading. I'm just curious if anyone knows what is causing this and how, if at all, that it can be fixed.

Mods I am using:

Nraas Story Progression and Population Mod (Does anyone know if this mod causes multiple generation travel issues?
Nrass Overwatch
Nrass Register
Nrass Tagger

Register, Tagger and Porter were removed to see if this corrected the problem. It didn't and only Register and Tagger were put back.

World Affected:

Any WA location and University.

Game:

This is happening across multiple saves for both myself and my daughter's games.

Summary (when I say children with regard to travelling on their own, I mean young adults):

Sims can travel to WA locations without hassle but their children cannot.
If a sim has travelled to a WA location previously, they cannot travel again with their children present.
Sim children can however travel to a WA destination that a parent has NOT been to.
Once on generation of sim has been to university, I will end up with endless loading when attempting to send the second generation.

Thanks! I thought I had tried everything, but nothing seems to have worked.
Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley

Comments

• cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    You should install Nraas Traveler. It's meant to stop a lot of the glitchiness that happens when sims travel. Have you tried resetting your sims before you travel? Or the town (you will need Nraas MasterController for this).
  • MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    @coco Resetting doesn't help and this is a relatively new issue. I've never had any travel issues at this point before, and as stated, I can send a first generation. Problems only start when a second generation is travelling. I'm hesitant to install traveller as there is a potential resurrect everyone issue and as my daughter and I play the game on the same PC, quitting to the main menu is done relatively often. Also, I can reset everyone without Master Controller as we uninstalled this because we just don't use the features of it. Thanks for the suggestions though.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    The Master Controller reset is more complete than the game's reset. I have to use it to reset everything in WA towns fairly frequently, especially Egypt, which starts lagging and freezing within the first couple of sims days my sims are there. I don't know how that translates into loading time after several trips there, since I don't travel without having done that.

Maybe you need to try the save cleaner mod. Also, have you seen the list of tips for improving performance at the NRaas site? Using those tips has helped my game run more smoothly. Some of the tips are directly related to loading times too. nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+For+Better+Game+Performance
    @IreneSwift My game runs really smoothly, so no issues there. I don't get any lag while on holidays in the WA, it's just getting a second generation there. The first generation going is fine, but the second generation I have trouble sending and this problem just cropped up for my daughter in her own save file, so I'm thinking the problem is a download.

I defrag after gameplay, delete my cache files etc and generally have no gameplay issues unless I'm attempting to play in Isla Paradiso which is a mess! This has occurred against multiple save files so clearly, in my mind, it's something that we've installed. My final resort is to remove all of my CC to find out which download is causing the problem. I'm focussing on mods because they're most likely to cause this kind of problem I think.

I might put a shout out to @igazor to see if he can offer any advice. Problem is, I can't remember when I started using the Story Progression Mod, but I'm fairly certain that it was installed during my legacy play where I had no problems sending anyone away.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    StoryProgression and its Population module are not the problem, likely none of your mods are.

What you have here is a trade-off. You need Traveler, and ErrorTrap would be an extremely strong suggestion as they work together to get through broken travel transitions. But you are correct in that games with Traveler in play are extremely susceptible to the glitches you have described when quitting to the Main Menu to load up a different saved game rather than quitting TS3 completely before a new loadup. There really isn't a solution for that, except don't do it (big help, huh). I know it's inconvenient, but it is really not a good practice to loadup existing saves this way.

The only other thing you can try is turn all of your graphics settings down to their bare ugly minimum temporarily before traveling, only attempt travel after having freshly started up a game session in order to reduce stress on the game before the travel transition kicks in, and hope for the best. The problem there is that if successful, you run the risk of arriving safely but then not being able to travel back home at the end of the vacation/uni term.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited August 2016
    @igazor We can try Traveller and see what happens but I don't think any of my game settings are to blame. As I said, I was able to travel freely with all generations of my family until. Actually I am certain it was until I used Porter, but that clearly shouldn't matter in new save games, and we're still having the problems there so, we'll try traveller. Do you know if Porter makes any lasting changes? Do you know if keeping a family in the library in Porter state causes any problems? Sorry, I'm just trying to figure this out and why it started happening randomly. I've never had travel issues in my games before, no long loading screens etc and my legacy family got to the fifth generation. As far as a fresh game session, we closed the game, did a defrag (as I always do, it's become habitual!) and started the game just to travel and it failed. Woke the sims up out of bed and sent them to the same location where their parents had gone and it failed. Closed the game and restarted and sent them to Egypt, where the parents had NOT been and it loaded fine.

I don't know, I'm grasping at straws here but we'll try Traveller and hopefully that solves the problem. ErrorTrap caused me crashing issues the last time I had it installed, so I would be hesitant to install this mod again.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    edited August 2016
    I was not saying that any of your graphics settings in Game Options are to blame for anything. I was saying that lowering them to the bare ugly minimum temporarily would reduce stress on the game. Travel transitions buckle under stress of all different kinds.

No, Porter doesn't do a thing to or for your game just by being in place. Neither do its packs sitting dormant in the Library (bin).

It is extremely unusual for ErrorTrap to cause the game to crash, provided you have the right version for your patch level and (if 1.67 or lower) the correct Steam vs. Non-Steam release. Quite the opposite, what it's supposed to do is capture (trap) gameplay related errors that otherwise go unreported on and can otherwise be game breaking or cause crashes over time. It also cleans up leftover shards of data from sims and objects that are already corrupt beyond the point of usability or no longer really exist in the world being played in. But although a core mod, it is easily removable if it does start acting in unexpected and unwanted ways.

I am not a car person really and therefore do not reach for car analogies very often. But I think there is one that will work here. Suppose you have a car that is old and flawed (relating this to the game engine without Traveler). Sometimes it's going to start and run, other times not. We can't always explain why. Relieving stress on it may make it start a little more often or run better. But I wouldn't want to rely on it to get me anywhere far away if then it turns out I can't get home again.

Where my analogy falls apart is that you have already detected what sounds like a pattern that causes the travel transitions to fail consistently -- that is, 2nd generation travelers. Or rather, travelers in 2nd generations going to worlds where their parents had already been. While I can't explain that away exactly, I can predict it's not going to get any better for what I imagine will someday be 3rd and 4th generation travelers to the same worlds within the same games.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor Thanks for the input, we'll give this a try. I'm just confused as it just started happening not long ago. Travel was never an issue before so it's confusing!
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    @igazor Totally different subject. I tried to post an issue with Master Controller but despite being a member on the site for a while now, I didn't have the option to make any posts. I could be posting in the wrong area. In our game, Master Controller interfered with graduation of sims in University. Can you let me know where I could go to post this issue on the Nrass site?
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    As this relates to an NRaas user account issue, I'll respond by PM.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Thanks to everyone for their advice. Despite the fact that my daughter didn't want it, I installed Traveller and it seems to have fixed the problem. The investigator in me would really like to know what caused it in the first place, but at least now they'll potentially see sims from their own neighbourhood on holidays so that will be nice. Just have to remember to completely quit the game rather than using the main menu from now on!

Thanks again!!
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]