Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much is too much?

ZarrielZarriel Posts: 475 Member
edited September 2022 in General Mods Discussion
Just some questions. How much is too much CC? I have 526 items in my Mods folder which consist of mostly objects and a few game mods. Is this excessive or not? How much do you have in your Mods folder? Just wondering.
Origin ID:
coollogo_com-31276450_zps25ba3967.png

Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    When I was using CC (old laptop) I had 4k+ items in my mod folder. Haven't downloaded any on my new computer though.
  • AgathaUdimoAgathaUdimo Posts: 208 Member
    I don't think there is such thing as too much. It's all about how much your computer can handle.
    Keep in mind when you add custom content to your game it's like adding a new EP or stuff pack.
    You are upping the specs needed to run the game as there is more stuff for your computer to read/load.

So long as you're not lagging. You're good!
    I am not so silently judging you.
    ASD - I think differently to you.
  • azsimmer1azsimmer1 Posts: 492 Member
    1 item is too much.. :) Cause when its patch time I don't have to worry about a thing.. patch, repair.. I am good to go.. And it helps my Sims or houses be shareable..
  • shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2016
    Yea, gosh how I love some of the cc out there, but every time I use it, I have issues when there is an update :\ The issues are mostly minor and annoying but I have just decided to go without. I am sort of starting to feel like there are enough free updates and stuff packs coming out to give you more options and keep the game interesting anyway.
  • Writer01Writer01 Posts: 572 Member
    edited July 2016
    I love using CC, and I have them organized into subfolders. When it comes to patch day, I can pull a group out to test it. As of right now, I have 1,850 CC|mods. Most of them are for Create-A-Sim, such as clothing, makeup, and hair.
    Post edited by Writer01 on
    “Language is wine upon the lips.” —Virginia Woolf[/center]
    Unless otherwise stated, none of my creations are on the Gallery.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    A tip I've seen on keeping CC from lagging your game as much: Rename anything with special characters - if it's nothing but letters and numbers, the game seems to parse it beter.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I try to keep it to a minimum simply because it makes it easier to keep up with patches. I think I have about 120 total, including mods & CC. I've no issues with lag, it's just patch day makes me weep with despair and I leave mods/CC disabled until I've seen confirmation that things have been updated or verified as ok to use.
  • ZarrielZarriel Posts: 475 Member
    I have a gaming computer so I have no problem with lag. Just wish I had a better internet connection. Satellite internet is plum! Normally, I put all my CC into sub folders but I've neglected to do that this time around. I really need to get to it.
    Origin ID:
    coollogo_com-31276450_zps25ba3967.png

• DivineHysteriaDivineHysteria Posts: 732 Member
    edited July 2016
    I keep all CC to a minimum.
    I have no mods in my game, I genuinely have no use for them with TS4 which is great.
    Plus as others have stated, I can't be bothered to update mods every patch.

My game runs extremely smoothly and any CC I download I check it immediately to see if I like it in game.
    I also trim my mods folder of any CC I'm not using and I don't use a lot.
    Just some tops, bottoms and accessories..also some skins, but only little for each category.
    I also stir clear of furniture CC.

This is the first Sims game where my mods folder is relatively very small lol, I like it.
    xo0yscju
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    No mods, no CC
  • BonxieBonxie Posts: 5,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Zarriel wrote: »
    Just some questions. How much is too much CC? I have 526 items in my Mods folder which consist of mostly objects and a few game mods. Is this excessive or not? How much do you have in your Mods folder? Just wondering.

I think, there is theoretically no limit - only the capabilities of your computer.

I have 1773 items, the MCCC and some of the shimrod mods in the game. My mod folder has a size of 2.7 GB and is organized in several subfolders. I've written a small script, which changes the profile folder to default before patching the game.

My gaming computer has an Intel Core i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM, a SSD and a Radeon HD7890 graphic adapter. I play the 64bit version of Sims 4 and it runs smoothly without any problems.
    Bonxie: Great Skua, stercorarius skua. Meet me on Fair Isle.
  • ErasimusErasimus Posts: 64 Member
    I agree with @Bonxie that it depends on your pc and game settings. My pc is scratch built Intel i5-4670K CPU running at 3.4 ghz, a 250 GB SSD, 16 GB of system memory and a nVidia GTX780 with 3 GB of dedicated memory. I run the game in 64 bit mode.

I was up to 12 GB of mods/custom content (mostly custom content) but then my game started pausing every 5 minutes so I deleted the entire game folder and started over. I did save everything before doing deleting and then started adding back my mods/cc slowly and check to make sure I wasn't adding back the problem. A week later and I still have not had the same problem, so I assume it was a glitched game save.

I am now back to 9.6 GB of mods or 6,400 files in 202 folders and it takes about 3 minutes to load my game. Once loaded, my games runs smoothly (`60 fps with dips into the 30s).

And, of course, I will be adding more, as I am addicted to new things!
  • egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    @Erasimus

Keeping in mind anything posted before June 2 2016 likely needs an update to work properly now... check out this thread sometime. :)

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/861742/anyone-have-any-wcif-requests#latest

Bananas_45 is the best at finding cc for people that I have ever seen. <3
  • simgamesimgame Posts: 538 Member
    Zarriel wrote: »

Do you have a strong computer? Removing the cc really makes your game run smoother, so does removing your screens and your library.
    Lots of cc related info here:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/cas-custom-content

Screenshots I rarely ever save with the game. I take mine with printscreen and have them routed to OneDrive instead.

526 doesn't sound like a lot of FILES... I've seen *epic* numbers. But it definitely depends on what you're playing the game on.
  • JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    I have almost 3000 items in my mods folder, my game runs smooth and I don't have a long load time, I have renamed my CC taking out all special characters, as Luthierising suggested.
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

...Keeping in mind anything posted before June 2 2016 likely needs an update to work properly now...

Did I miss something? I patched those things which needed patching with S4S and also the two or three CC lights in my game. But these were really only a few items. Is there more to do?
  • ErasimusErasimus Posts: 64 Member
    @Erasimus

Keeping in mind anything posted before June 2 2016 likely needs an update to work properly now... check out this thread sometime. :)

Awesome! Thanks for the tip and link @egwarhammer

Bonxie wrote: »
    ...Keeping in mind anything posted before June 2 2016 likely needs an update to work properly now...

Did I miss something? I patched those things which needed patching with S4S and also the two or three CC lights in my game. But these were really only a few items. Is there more to do?

I'm still half asleep (work night)... just don't want folks to panic.

IF your pages/threads/PMs aren't being overrun right after a patch with ??????? posts... you're probably okay. :)

They really *don't* always break everything. DP says (posted to MC today) they've been fixing stuff behind the scenes, he's taking out a bunch of bug etc workarounds he'd had placed. Just a little sunshine I wanted to send in EA's direction... that isn't usually what they get from me. :wink:

The patch that broke cc lights also broke, afaik ONE mod (I don't follow mods other than here and MTS, so I may be wrong), fixed now (again don't panic, just redownload if needed) Neia's More Clubs Per Sims mod. Odd, right? Great example of the randomness of code changes and its fallout.

Point is, CHECK. Don't toss your 'leet stuff out there for us to love and then "orphan it" and let them break it... spiff it between patches so we can KEEP loving it in our games. :) A lot of the time, modders get lucky.

Since launch, we've had 3 total meltdowns of mods/cc... because of GTW, GT and Dine Out, all of which made major changes to several areas. Not fun, but expected... and 3 in almost 2 years is really NOT a horrible track record.

I'm a big fan of proactivity, that's all.

Hang in there! :)

edited July 2016
    ...They really *don't* always break everything. DP says (posted to MC today) they've been fixing stuff behind the scenes, he's taking out a bunch of bug etc workarounds he'd had placed. Just a little sunshine I wanted to send in EA's direction... that isn't usually what they get from me. :wink:

The patch that broke cc lights also broke, afaik ONE mod (I don't follow mods other than here and MTS, so I may be wrong), fixed now (again don't panic, just redownload if needed) Neia's More Clubs Per Sims mod. Odd, right? Great example of the randomness of code changes and its fallout...

I've done a lot of coding in the past and I can tell you QA in developement is a real pain. Almost every time you find a clever trick to solve a problem you accidentially open up a black hole on the other end of the grid. If you ask DP, he for sure can tell stories all night long about those nasty little issues and how to fix them. So I'm willing to understand and more important, to tolerate that a product of such a complexity will never be bugfree.

When S4 was released I started myself a try to transfer Twallan's Mods to the new game. I already finished some sort of core design, when I saw MCCC for the first time. After the release of v2.00 I stopped my efforts because DP was far ahead of me and his design was also better. I thought about publishing in the beginning but I never intended to compete with another modder. Perhaps you remember the rivalry between the fans of Awesome Mod and NRaaS.

To cut it short, I made a lot of errors (and for sure I also learned many useful tricks) and my mod is a small piece of code compared to the complexity of the whole S4 game. You can argue that the devs are paid for their work and also that you have paid for the product, but in the end it isn't that easy - as always.

[/off-topic mode]
  • NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    It really depends on your computer. I have over 900 mb of mods and they don't slow my game down any.
    Bonxie wrote: »
    ...They really *don't* always break everything. DP says (posted to MC today) they've been fixing stuff behind the scenes, he's taking out a bunch of bug etc workarounds he'd had placed. Just a little sunshine I wanted to send in EA's direction... that isn't usually what they get from me. :wink:

The patch that broke cc lights also broke, afaik ONE mod (I don't follow mods other than here and MTS, so I may be wrong), fixed now (again don't panic, just redownload if needed) Neia's More Clubs Per Sims mod. Odd, right? Great example of the randomness of code changes and its fallout...

I've done a lot of coding in the past and I can tell you QA in developement is a real pain. Almost every time you find a clever trick to solve a problem you accidentially open up a black hole on the other end of the grid. If you ask DP, he for sure can tell stories all night long about those nasty little issues and how to fix them. So I'm willing to understand and more important, to tolerate that a product of such a complexity will never be bugfree.

When S4 was released I started myself a try to transfer Twallan's Mods to the new game. I already finished some sort of core design, when I saw MCCC for the first time. After the release of v2.00 I stopped my efforts because DP was far ahead of me and his design was also better. I thought about publishing in the beginning but I never intended to compete with another modder. Perhaps you remember the rivalry between the fans of Awesome Mod and NRaaS.

To cut it short, I made a lot of errors (and for sure I also learned many useful tricks) and my mod is a small piece of code compared to the complexity of the whole S4 game. You can argue that the devs are paid for their work and also that you have paid for the product, but in the end it isn't that easy - as always.

[/off-topic mode]

The funniest thing I have *ever* seen was some random Dresser bug MC developed once... I went to change Vivian's clothes (in the Spa) and she ended up standing there in her birthday suit. :o I rolled, and then I reported the mc log error. It was awesome. :smiley:

I've been using mods for this game since as soon as I found some I wanted. Like, day two, maybe 3. So yeah, I've definitely seen a fair share of post-patch (or post-update, in the case of MC) game weirdness. Fun times. LOL! Definitely can be, fix one bug, turn 2 loose... territory.

I didn't mod 3 and wasn't in forums then, so I really didn't see the Awesome/NRAAS thing. If I play 3 again, I'll check out NRAAS, it gets kudos from me for being the inspiration behind the creation of MC. :)

I should probably claim "MC bug hunter" as my hidden talent, because it seems like if there's a way to break something... I'm the one to do it. Haha!

@Bonxie great post!
  • ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    I have quite a lot of mods and cc even tho I'm on a laptop. I love mods and cc and I'm glad this game can support them coz ts3 couldn't handle even one object of cc
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    I'm a heavy CC user. I have 6.60GB of CC, which comes up to 6, 265 files. I've been thinking of removing some CC for a long time, but I'm too greedy:^(
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

I have quite a lot of mods and cc even tho I'm on a laptop. I love mods and cc and I'm glad this game can support them coz ts3 couldn't handle even one object of cc

@ChloeDeCookie Just wanted to say I think the sim in your avatar right now is *gorgeous*... love that hair, too! (I'm a Maxis Match girl, though... but she's beautiful!) :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top