Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• MeTime85MeTime85 Posts: 142 Member
    edited July 2016
    I am playing, though very slowly. I can't get my sims to comfortable enough to use the dang fire pit. It takes a long time just to roast one fish. By that time,, either the fire has dimmed down and there isn't anybody to add a log, or they have to pee, or get sleepy... geez. I'm not giving up though. I like the fact that the firepit allows you to roast fish for free. You have to pay for food on the grill. But I am learning how to tune objects, so when I do, the grill fish option will be free.
    For-forum.jpg
  • UniSimsUniSims Posts: 1,246 Member
    I was browsing through MTS today when I noticed that: Esmeralda has various historical CC. Many being instruments. Just wanted to let you know!
    laughing-gifs-old-timey.gif

Everything is more colourful in black and white
  • SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    So I haven't seen anyone post about this yet, we got nannies in the update a couple days ago! When can we be allowed to hire nannies to take care of our baby Sims in this challenge? @Cloudseeker

I haven't played much this past week as I took some time off for house hunting, but the patch notes say that nannies charge an hourly rate and not much else. I would assume you can hire nannies to take care of babies while you're away instead of them going to daycare, but this would need confirmation. If that was the case though, would it be possible to hire nannies as early as Early Civilization or even the Prehistoric era?
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
  • CloudseekerCloudseeker Posts: 353 Member
    @Snowie Just off the top of my head, it feels appropriate for nannies to be available from the Middle Ages forward. I don't think there was much call for people taking care of other peoples' children as a profession earlier than that (unless I'm mistaken).
    34in38k.png
  • Ashes2AshesAshes2Ashes Posts: 145 Member
    Hello, I'm here to shamelessly self-promote my video series doing this challenge, hope you don't mind :v

Having lots of fun with it so far. And wanted to put forth a suggestion (if it hasn't been brought up already), re: the preparation of food in game; could it be a rule that you can only prepare dishes that you have collected the ingredients for until the challenge hits the roaring 20s? My thinking is that foods such as cereal, juice and various other snacks and dishes that do not require ingredients wouldn't have been mass produced on a large scale until then.
    @Ashes2Ashes Nice, I'll add your video series to the main post, if you don't mind.

I like the idea about only being allowed to cook food for which you have the ingredients. I'll note it down in my update notes :)
    34in38k.png
  • UniSimsUniSims Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hi everyone!

I've been exercising this idea for a while and I decided I am going to do it. I have started a blog on this challenge. Link Here It is going to be the challenge in a story format. As I am new to writing it would be appreciated if you could check it out and maybe even leave some positive/constructive feedback!

TYSM!
    UniSims!
    laughing-gifs-old-timey.gif

Everything is more colourful in black and white
  • CheerfulTulipCheerfulTulip Posts: 13 New Member
    this seems pretty irrelevant now, but I found that not allowing my children or teens to go to school didn't result in child services coming. I would receive a warning, but they would always age up before anything happened
  • SarahkaySarahkay Posts: 362 Member

Finally got around to adding a chapter to the challenge, yay!
    I will probably be adding a few more today...after I play around with dine out. :) So make sure to check it out late one!
  • TheGeekGamezTheGeekGamez Posts: 706 Member
    i have a question about alien hybrids. my female founder got pregnant from an alien (i din't know until they woohooed) wound it be okay if i kept the child?
  • TheGeekGamezTheGeekGamez Posts: 706 Member
    also @Zoey95 it took me a while, but i found the picture of the fire.
    07-12-16_10-34-27c2a0pm.png?w=680

Tiana was strangely okay with it
    @TheGeekGamez If you want to play strictly by the rules, you need to choose the "Send To Homeworld" option on the baby crib as soon as it is born. If you don't have that option, you may keep the baby.
    34in38k.png
  • Zoey95Zoey95 Posts: 1,549 Member
    edited August 2016
    also @Zoey95 it took me a while, but i found the picture of the fire.
    07-12-16_10-34-27c2a0pm.png?w=680

Tiana was strangely okay with it

@TheGeekGamez That is too funny that she wasn't even concerned. Maybe she was too hungry to care LOL
    Post edited by Zoey95 on
  • xKindredxSoulsxxKindredxSoulsx Posts: 30 Member
    I started this challenge a few days ago and have been reading this through. I did set-up and played my first week. I just finished getting myself caught up reading the thread, and thought I'd pop on and say hello.
    I am super excited to see a conversion of this challenge to Sims 4 since I loved it in Sims 3. Although I never got very far, but should do better w/ this one(despite my ADD playing tendencies) b/c there are certain advantages to Sims 4. The Gallery and its running better on my poor laptop to name a few.

My Ancestors are Ullal & Snu-Snu(this shameless Futurama joke causes me to giggle to myself often while playing. Lol) of the BigWater clan and they are currently eaking(how do you spell that anyways?) Out a living in the desert of Oasis Springs. They haven't made any Little BigWaters yet, but soon.

I have uploaded them to the official # as well as their starting lot and will most likely upload a town filler lot soon. I actually tracked down this challenge after creating two cave families(BigWaters included) so there is a five person cave family named Clan StoneClimb(or possibly StoneClimb Clan) under #xkindredxsoulsx on the gallery as well if you would like some townies for your game! I always make a point of turning off my CC and running families through CAS before uploading so they are all CC free, as are MOST of my uploads.
    johnny49 wrote: »
    @historicalsimslife I never found a solution to the bills and child support. Luckily once the garden started kicking in I didn't care any more. I reduced the garden to dragon fruit and by the Middle Ages I have a over a million to rebuild.

This is a late answer, but I hope it helps.

@johnny49 I have never noticed child support in my game w/out mods, so unless I am missing something from my play style, I don't think it should be there. Could this be caused by a mod? I have MC Command Center and it has a function controlling(and presumably adding) childsupport. It allows it to be turned on/off or applied only to certain situations and I think allows adjustment on the amount(or perhaps that is only for total bills).
    Basically, I think this is a mod rather then a function of the game. Someone please speak up if I am wrong about this.

And on the subject of bills. Does anyone know what the game does when you don't pay your bills and the next week comes up? Because I was thinking of just not paying them until I have plumbing items, since Sims 4 uses utility shut offs rather than the repo man. The worst that would happen is the total would add up quite high and then I would have to pay them off to earn the BigWaters plumbing come gen. 2, which seems reasonable to me.
    That is, unless there is some further consequence I don't know about?
    @xKindredxSoulsx I think it actually only shuts down your plumbing and electricity if you don't pay the bills, so not paying them during the Prehistoric Era should work fine.
    34in38k.png
    @Cloudseeker I guess I'll know by the end of this week. I'll make sure to mention my results on here.
  • EGrace93EGrace93 Posts: 95 Member
    This challenge looks super fun and I'm thinking about doing it. I've never done a challenge before and I'm a huge history fan so I think this would be a great choice for my first. One question though, would you mind if I tweaked it slightly to include same-gender relationships so long as they were done in a historically acurate way? By which I mean confining them solely to secret affairs or perhaps open male/male homosexuality in the ancient civilisations era since the ancient Greeks and Romans tolerated it under certain circumstances. I like to live vicariously through my sims and it would make me sad if they couldn't be gay.
    I'm VERY close to bringing in Gen 1. I really don't look forward to seeing the horrible modern bassinet in the cavesim setting. Does anyone know where to find an alternate bassinet which is better for the earlier eras of this challenge? I know they're out there, just not sure where to find them and so would appreciate a direction.
    I went looking for cribs myself(turns out, Google searches actually help! -gasp-) and found a site with some lovely CC specifically made for the prehistoric era of this challenge. I don't recall if I've seen the link on here, so I will post it after I've made sure some of it does in fact work and isn't buggy. There are two lovely crib options which can be used w/an invisible crib mod(something new to me, but a very novel idea I think). I'll get back to ya'll with the link when I know how they work.
    This is making me very tempted to double some goals and play my eras for double generations... But I don't want to try that until/unless I have some idea of the difficulty of the goals normally so I know if it all balances out...

P.S. Am I not finding a way to edit my previous post b/c I am blind as a bat or otherwise challenged, or is this a symptom of my lack of posting/likes and subsequent banishment to New Member land?
    So after some use in my game. I can say I love some of the content from the aforementioned site. The tent & woodworking alternatives work perfectly well & fit in very well in the setting. I haven't had the chance to try the kids toys, nor did I opt for the decoratives, prehistoric trash(alternate trashcan), Stonehenge dance floor or musical oak tree options(bonfire dancing is just fine for my cavesims for now). I'm in love with the cribs! Although the hammock style one is odd as they pick them up from visually the wrong location...
    The main issue I can see is aesthetic(and so not a deal breaker in this instance for me) and in the UI panel. The babies image is misaligned to a pair of legs. I think the baby without crib mod is the cause so if anyone knows where a fixed version is that'd be great. I can only find the version linked to on the site.

Also, I wanted to mention a mod/CC that I have in my game which goes really well with this challenge. Plasticbox has tweaked the clay object to build handiness skill while crafting decorative plates, cups, and vases(you can place flowers in these I believe). It is cheap, but destroys itself after use, so balances out.

As a new member I don't think I can post links as actual links, but you should be able to copy & paste(better internet saftey anyway) then remove the spaces in the http, sorry.

[Around the Sims 4 Link:] h t t p : // sims4.aroundthesims3.com/objects/history_challenge_cc_01_prehistory.shtml
    [Plasticbox Link:] h t t p : // www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=569109
  • helenbassetthelenbassett Posts: 51 Member
    I can semi do the challange but as I only have sims 4 , get to work and spooky stuff pack plus the christmas one I am only experimenting any tips will be welcome and does any body know where I can find child victorian boots other than on all about style
    @EGrace93 ,
    Since @Cloudseeker hasn't been around in a few days, I will do my best --as someone new to the discussion, but who has read the whole thing-- to tide you over w/an answer of sorts till he gets back.
    Someone has in fact asked a similar question:
    icecradle wrote: »
    I'm really interested in doing this challenge, I had always planned on doing something similar in ts2 but never got around to it. I played medieval and frontier based hoods though. But at the moment the gender restrictions are making me uncomfortable. I understand the reasons, of course, although there always have been women who defied cultural convention to succeed in careers or even posed as men. Plus I'd probably want to include gay sims throughout, even though marriage laws are recent, LGBT people are not a modern invention.

Anyway, if I play this challenge, I will probably tweak the gender related rules which I guess counts as cheating =/. I want things to be hard, but the whitewashing of successful women, plus LGBT+ people throughout history bothers me quite a bit (by that I mean whitewashing within history records and the reflection of that within this challenge).

And this was Cloudseeker's answer:
    @icecradle When I first designed this challenge, there were no gender restrictions. But, a lot of people wanted there to be restrictions on what women and men could do, partly for historical accuracy, and partly because it would make the challenge a bit more interesting and not as "flat". So that's why I decided to add the restrictions. But there is certainly nothing stopping you from tweaking a part of the challenge that would make you uncomfortable.

So, I would say you are safe to do this in your challenge based on this. That said, I personally would institute a consequence roll if I chose to do something similar. But then again that may just be me b/c I like random event and consequence rolls in a challenge...
    If you decide to give consequence rolls a try, let me know. Not only do I have a little bit of a rough and vague idea of what could work if you draw a blank, but I would love to see what someone else is using on this sort of thing in case I want to implement it in my own play. I mean modern day w/no affairs? Unrealistic, though I fully get why Cloudseeker did things this way.
    @helenbassett I haven't really gotten to that stage yet myself, so won't be MUCH help.
    My first suggestion, which you have likely already tried, is to look at the boots section with ALL filters turned off. You may find something that works, although children are lacking a few of the good adult boot designs.
    My next suggestion is to check historicalsimslife(I can't post links yet, but I put the address w/spaces in it at the bottom of this comment). I think this is where a lot of people have gotten they're CC from, so it may have something. I have not personally checked it yet(beyond a cursory look), as I am still in prehistoric times, and until my need for a better bassinet was making due with what I had in game.

You are going to need some sort of toilet w/out Get Together(That bush is so handy). If you want CC for blending there's one suggested in the main page, and I think there is a rock toilet for men on MTS...
    You will also need some sort of bed w/out Outdoor Retreat, I don't know what good CC for this there is as I am using CC tents myself. Although I think I saw something on the site I mentioned for your boots.

Tips for play, I don't have a lot yet, but off the top of my head:
    -Keep they're hygiene up whenever you want to work on any sort of romance. Once a relationship is established this is easier, but it still gets in the way a lot.

-If you go to another lot and leave a sim at home they're hygiene will go up(apparently this is the only time they are smart enough to bathe at the local creek). Conversely energy doesn't seem to for my sims(though it has in past play), I think this may be b/c I am using tents not beds.

-Don't over garden. I've run into this issue in other games. When you're garden is too big, they simply cannot keep up with it. I know it's tempting in challenges like this, but don't do it.

-When breeding frogs follow these steps:
    1.)Breed most valuable two frogs(when aiming for cash, not when aiming for new breed of frog)
    2.)Move frogs from current sims inventory to next sims inventory.
    3.)repeat step 1(with different frogs if your focus is breeding)
    4.) Move to the next available sims inventory if there are more sims and repeat steps 1-4 until you run out of unused sims.
    This is be/c frog breeding tiredness is based on the sims, not frogs, so placing them in a new sims inventory allows you to breed again.

-Build furniture when you can, it costs more, but it sells for more too. Thus helping you meet your prehistoric goals sooner.

-An issue with the firepit(which you won't be using b/c of your exspansions, so no worries here.) is that a sim who is Very Uncomfortable will not do anything necessary to collect food. If you don't already have food, you cannot cook fish on the firepit. My solution was to delete a frog of lesser value with a cheat and let my sims cook a free hotdog...erm roasted frog on the firepit.

-Glutton trait WILL cause your sim to be unable to find food to eat --due to Very Uncomfortable mood-- sooner than sims w/out the trait. Even if it does make them eat more convincingly like cavemen.

-Glutton trait rummaging for food in the trash seems to be broken in my game. They never find anything but empty plates.

-Also, my kids seem to be WAY better at catching fish than my grown sims. They seem to favor perch... I don't know why, perhaps they'll die?(sorry childhood rhyming flashback there.)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head...
    Oh, it's been reported kids can safely skip school on normal life span, but one or two people have reported the opposite. I suspect this is based on when the child was born. I think they are just on the cusp of having a social worker show in normal lifespan, so sims who had fewer weekends in their childhood stage may not make it through.

[Link]: h t t p : //historicalsimslife.blogspot.fi/
    @Cloudseeker I have a rough update followed by a question.

I'm up to my 1st generation now. Ullal has managed to breed soon to be a total of 7 times with 5 different sim cavewomen. He has two daughter's(first born Ah-Nu sounds like anew ;), I forget the other's name just now) with his wife Snu-Snu, A daughter(Ulla) and his 1st son(Manu) with Ooka StoneClimb(now BigWater) who now resides with them full time. He has a daughter(game named Savannah, I plan to change this at first opportunity) with Mei-Mei StoneClimb who remains a neighbor and friend. Uma StonClimb and a random townie(whose name escapes me, sad since I renamed her and her whole family) are both currently carrying his children.

My household has 7 sims in it and I would rather not move any of them out. I really want to have Uma's child in the household after she gives birth, as I am curious about the genetics. I cannot move in Uma because my house is too full to add a pregnant sim. Would it be appropriate for me to move just the child in at the first available opportunity rather than having it born in household?
    Otherwise it is impossible to get this child without moving someone out. I will of course have to move some out later, to fit new mates, but I would rather wait till they grow up and I can pick my favorites. And I like Ooka, even if she is an expendable mate, so don't want to move her out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top