Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A different perspective on playing The Sims 4 [Picture heavy]

Comments

• PlumbobGrandmaPlumbobGrandma Posts: 438 Member
    It's a very nice story, I love it! It's really fun to read as well as look at because the picture are taken so well! :)

❀ нєℓℓσ ι'м ρℓυмвσвgяαη∂мα! ❀
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    This thread shed some light on why I enjoy Sims 4 more than many other members here. Basically this is how I play, too, only your story is way more positive :)

What others call "fake personalities" and "using imagination to cover holes in the simulation" to me is the real thing. The character lives in my mind and traits are a way to model that character ingame, much like stats are a way to model an rpg character - they define what he can do, but do not limit what he is/feels. I fact, I take offence in the game attempting to usurp this position (f.e. by forcing an expecting mother run up to the father after a succesful pregnancy test). The game's job is to monitor the sims' physical needs, simulate the world around them and throw obstacles my way, not playing my characters.
  • tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    Life with the Sims is a mystery, gotta know what happens to everyone now!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    This thread shed some light on why I enjoy Sims 4 more than many other members here. Basically this is how I play, too, only your story is way more positive :)

What others call "fake personalities" and "using imagination to cover holes in the simulation" to me is the real thing. The character lives in my mind and traits are a way to model that character ingame, much like stats are a way to model an rpg character - they define what he can do, but do not limit what he is/feels. I fact, I take offence in the game attempting to usurp this position (f.e. by forcing an expecting mother run up to the father after a succesful pregnancy test). The game's job is to monitor the sims' physical needs, simulate the world around them and throw obstacles my way, not playing my characters.

Oh! Can I quote you forever on this?? It feels so "right" to me!

@Simanite So glad I caught up with your story again! I've only been just getting back to this kind of family play after a year focused first on a sillier game and then on playing mostly about peer relationships in rotation (mostly teens). I feel like I'm rediscovering what makes it tick for me! And your posts are really inspiring.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

It's a fine line, and TS4 crossed it. I agree I wouldn't want my Sim running up to another Sim to force the story of an expecting mother telling the father, unless I chose that option. However, the game very much play's itself in many areas and leaves out the player for example when you put a table in a kitchen hoping the Sim will sit there instead of moving upstairs to sit in a living room because a Sim they don't even know is up there. It takes too many liberties. Player places many things in specific areas to be used only to usurped by game's AI to force more social interactions when none was necessary. And as far as simulating the world around these Sims I'm not sure Sims walking by a house not actually going anywhere can actually be called what I mean by simulation. It's more like throw those in there and let's pretend they are. It is a very thin line for developers not to cross over and tell the story in the game, but it's quite another to leave out animations and simulations and a better, smarter AI which would know better than to send a Sim (autonomously) upstairs to talk yet again, when they were perfectly fine downstairs and social and or emotion not prodding them to move. But it is what it is and why some of us find it backwards.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    @PlumbobGrandma Aw, thank you so much! Glad you like it. :)

@EnkiSchmidt Awesome, yeah glad you're enjoying the game too. :)

@tinahjalmar Haha, yes it is! I haven't decided just how everything is going to play out yet, so I better get a move on. :)

@luthienrising Thank you! Glad you like my posts. :) Yeah, there's a lot of fun ways to play but I always find myself coming back to family play. :)
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @Simanite - It has been fun reading your family story and now I'm looking forward to checking back here for updates. :smile: Like you, I mostly do family play in TS4 and I make my own "seasons" (for now, until we get them properly) to have lots of family parties. (The annual Bernstein Christmas/Channukah Party in my main legacy file is an infamous event!) Thanks for sharing your Sims - I look forward to seeing where this family goes next. :smiley:
    @Terra Aw, thanks so much! :) That's awesome and I'm glad you're having fun with your game too.
  • Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    Nice photos and you can call Nanny to take care of them if needed. :)
    @Chimp2678 Thanks, and haha yeah. She would have come in useful but they're teen/YA now. Maybe if one of them eventually reproduces I can make use of her. :)
  • strf85strf85 Posts: 20 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    I can only play this way, making the Sims in CAS. I can't stand to have my Sims reproduce in-game, so that limits me to only starting at childhood with my Sims and then not being able to let my children grow up and have families themselves. :( I hope we get what we want soon.

I enjoy this thread. Thank you :)
    Response to the bolded; You can manage households and make their children that way, if you wish to let the children grow up and have families :) Just in case you didn't know.
    @strf85 Thank you, glad you enjoy my thread. :) And thanks, yeah. I could always add some children for them. :)
    Just letting anyone interested know - I won't be posting any updates until Tuesday or after, because I haven't fully decided what to do with them all yet now they've aged up, plus I'm waiting for the new SP to play. Hope you all have a great weekend. :)
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    That's ok @Simanite - you can't rush an interesting story! Hope your weekend is great too.

I have to add a big thank you because your thread has really inspired me with my family play and I've been having a ball. And I've just installed a mod to stop culling etc, so I will be able to rotate too. I am now going to add your family to my game and will be able to switch to them in safety.

*Big Thank you* :)<3
    @elanorbreton Aw, well that's the best comment ever! :heart: I'm really glad you enjoy my thread and story, and I'm really happy so many people seem to like it too. Usually my threads are dead in the water, so I was surprised. :lol: I hope you have a lot of fun in your game. :smiley:
    edited November 2016
    Just a tiny little update. :smile:

Who remembers Isabell?

28091343900_e143e36613_o.png

Well, now she has a new home...

28091343640_24103d9169_o.png

...And some new friends! Gary had always wanted an aquarium, but there were some potential hazards with a child in the house.

28340632066_063d2896bd_o.png

Now Anna is a teen, it was time for a fresh new room makeover.

28270266082_7fca6cc352_o.png

28091342450_8a2a9f5e06_o.png

Ryan also has had a room makeover, perfect for a young adult, and with room for Nicole to stay over.

28374143865_ff53c841dd_o.png

Kimberly's little balcony sanctuary has grown so she has even more ways to unwind.

28340628876_74f4ebef12_o.png

And Ryan has moved his punchbag upstairs to make his balcony his own little fitness spot. (Plus, I needed to make room in the backyard :wink:)

27758383783_856fb2feee_o.png

Grandma Eloise may have gone back home to Windenburg, but she has left a little reminder of herself. :smiley:

28270262692_147c070f2a_o.png

Kimberly kept Anna's picture and stuck it above the desk, as a constant reminder that she will always be her little girl. :heart:

28340626586_6a9997de63_o.png
    Post edited by Simanite on
    Nice home alterations. And I love those striped leggings that Anna is wearing :) Yay for more fish!

Not trying to take over your thread or anything, I just thought you might like to see a pic of the family living in Newcrest...

07-17-16_12-07-56%C2%A0PM.png?dl=0
    (Anna was putting on the show, Ryan was off elsewhere chatting up one of the Bunch daughters.)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,805 Member
    Just caught up with the last two pages and have to say I really enjoy reading about your family. Keep it coming! :)
  • LordkiribatiLordkiribati Posts: 201 Member
    Your family is VERY cute and you seem to have a lot of fun playing the Sims 4 :)
    @elanorbreton Thanks! And aw that's awesome! Thanks for sharing it, I was wondering what they would be up to in your game. :smile:

@simgirl1010 Thanks! I plan to continue sharing them, so I'm glad you're enjoying it! :smile:

@Lordkiribati Thanks, and yep I do enjoy playing it very much. :smile:
    It does look so pretty in the evening. I really love that step ladder planter thing in the corner of your third pic.

None of my sims can afford to do their backyard out yet. Poor simmies.
    @elanorbreton Thanks! And aw, poor Sims. I use the money cheat too much. :lol:

I've posted my pics of my family enjoying Backyard here:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15030457/#Comment_15030457

It's not a part of the main story so I'm not posting it in here.
  • Brieanna19Brieanna19 Posts: 307 Member
    I know this family is on the gallery but is the house available for downloading as well?

I do enjoy this story, can't wait to read more :)
    @Brieanna19 Thank you! It's actually a pre-made house already placed in Willow Creek, called brook bungalow. I did decorate it differently in my game though. :)