Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A different perspective on playing The Sims 4 [Picture heavy]

Comments

• SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    @Hannie Thanks so much! :)

@tinahjalmar Thanks so much! Yes they are, my username is UKSimmer14 and my family's name is Porter. I'm going to post them below. :)

@BatmanFanGirl Thanks so much! Well, I would try it again if you're tempted and see how you enjoy it and if you do decide on which packs you would use the most. :)

@suzanna13 You're welcome and good luck finding a wife for him! :)

@ladybreid Thank you! :)

@snurfles Thanks! :)
    edited July 2016
    If anyone would like any of my Sims they are on the Gallery under my ID UKSimmer14. I updated them all today. :)

28205396181_75377a84e9_o.png

28205396241_f5e22085aa_o.png

28179962742_f46a3801e1_o.png

28205396371_dec733f3c8_o.png
    'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house...

28250402336_163c9413f7_o.png

Only Anna was stirring, like a little mouse...

28250401086_b2562930c9_o.png

She left Santa a cookie, some nectar, a note...

28180737712_532174768b_o.png

Thank goodness she was sleeping, or Ryan would surely gloat!

28180737252_ff3b584718_o.png

Wake up, it's Christmas!

28003236550_9353de861f_o.png

"He's been! He's been!"

28180736822_5178f4bbb9_o.png

28180736552_72e9e84a05_o.png

Christmas time equals family time.

28180735962_d7cdcbfe71_o.png

Ryan got a new tablet and Anna got some new toys.

27669124803_97bc1d20d7_o.png

Gary went to make a start on dinner...

28180738562_3b135c6e32_o.png

...While the rest of the family had a game of Anna's new boardgame.

28250396036_1ec1f56c26_o.png

Eloise woke the llama!

27669123263_4933e4af06_o.png

Dinner is served - turkey for the main.

28003228980_dfa084ab18_o.png

And Baked Alaska for dessert.

27669121763_97fa582942_o.png

Eloise and Anna cosied up on the sofa together to read one of Anna's new books.

28250391496_eff0de52d0_o.png

And Ryan slipped out to meet Nicole so they could exchange gifts.

28250393136_86cee8e67a_o.png

28003227140_424e90fe4b_o.png
  • mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    I love reading about this family. I don't have it in me, I think, to actually play a proper family in TS4 for more than a few minutes because I don't get enough feedback from the game on what I'm doing, if that makes sense. I have to make the family and the story that they live all on my own. There are no random events that make me go, "Oh, how interesting, this is going to be something to look back on and remember!"

To try and make a correlation, it's like TS2 and burglars or TS3 and THE KRAKEN when trying to have a family trip out on the ocean. Those things that make me go "WOAH WHAT?!" TS4 doesn't have any of that (barring, I suppose, alien visits, but I haven't gotten a single one of those). And I'm not a super amazing storyteller that can somehow manage to come up with an entire story for a family all by myself.

So on the one hand, I can see family gameplay being in the game. I see it being possible. But on the other hand, it's all up to me; the game doesn't give me anything to really work with. I guess I just don't have the imagination I used to. :p
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2016
    mizuru007 wrote: »
    I love reading about this family. I don't have it in me, I think, to actually play a proper family in TS4 for more than a few minutes because I don't get enough feedback from the game on what I'm doing, if that makes sense. I have to make the family and the story that they live all on my own. There are no random events that make me go, "Oh, how interesting, this is going to be something to look back on and remember!"

To try and make a correlation, it's like TS2 and burglars or TS3 and THE KRAKEN when trying to have a family trip out on the ocean. Those things that make me go "WOAH WHAT?!" TS4 doesn't have any of that (barring, I suppose, alien visits, but I haven't gotten a single one of those). And I'm not a super amazing storyteller that can somehow manage to come up with an entire story for a family all by myself.

So on the one hand, I can see family gameplay being in the game. I see it being possible. But on the other hand, it's all up to me; the game doesn't give me anything to really work with. I guess I just don't have the imagination I used to. :p

It's hard for me to pretend Santa showed up and they actually gifted each other, when the other games actually had Santa show up and the actually had a gift giving party or you could gift one Sim to another and they were impressed or not impressed, scored points or lost points with each other. And Santa actually left presents to open. And I add, trick or treating where big sis takes little brother out to the neighbor's to trick or treat for real. I don't know I need simulation more so in this game than ever before.

ETA: Sorry, OP, I get depressed over what we don't actually have in this game and I'm only bringing down your story thread but it is my perspective. I need simulation so I will leave you to it, since you are a good story teller. But TS4 needs actual simulation of family, interactions and not everything left up to us.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    @Cinebar I only remember Trick or Treat in Sims 3 and it was added later if I'm remembering correctly. What I do remember is it never worked for me. I was lucky if I found one family home. Can't even imagine it in sims 4 with a loading screen between each lot.
    Story tellers do an excellent job with sims4 because they can fill in the spaces. I'm looking for my Imagination, it has to be in here somewhere. I'm going to give Simanite's play style a try.
    @Simanite I enjoyed your Christmas story. Can you really leave a cookie and milk for Santa?
    edited July 2016
    @mizuru007 Thank you! I understand what you mean. I do think there is a lot missing from TS4 and feels more like everyday play, much of the big stuff is missing. But I do have a lot of fun playing this way, and honestly, hardly anything is staged in my pictures. It's just the way it plays out. I hope you have fun however you decide to play. :)

@suzanna13 Thanks! You can't really leave anything out for Santa, no. I just made it up. :) You can actually ask for a treat though with Spooky Stuff when you throw a spooky party.

@Cinebar It's Ok, don't worry. I understand where you're coming from. :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    suzanna13 wrote: »
    @Cinebar I only remember Trick or Treat in Sims 3 and it was added later if I'm remembering correctly. What I do remember is it never worked for me. I was lucky if I found one family home. Can't even imagine it in sims 4 with a loading screen between each lot.
    Story tellers do an excellent job with sims4 because they can fill in the spaces. I'm looking for my Imagination, it has to be in here somewhere. I'm going to give Simanite's play style a try.
    @Simanite I enjoyed your Christmas story. Can you really leave a cookie and milk for Santa?

I was talking about what we won't see, because we already have a pack (stuff packs) that add what we had and they don't have the simulations. Such as trick or treat in TS3 did work for me, yes, not everyone was home but there was enough in a full town. But this version in a stuff pack is probably all we will see concerning that. Which is hand any Sim a treat, or ask for one. And we know Santa probably isn't going to show up due to the free pack we got with more decorations again this past year. Because they have already added that theme in a free pack. So, simulation for this game will not be what we could do in past games if they come in free packs or stuff packs. And hard for me to just pretend. I did pretend in TS2 with it's base long before NL my Sims were going to a restaurant. We couldn't even put a stove on a community lot in that base. I stretched my imagination to pretend all those Sims that showed up on the community lot was eating at one because that's all it was and a fridge. I built the lot and that was all I added, a fridge in the building and some tables etc. However, I don't think I would want to keep 'imagining' it for four years. And why I was thrilled when we actually got the real thing. I often play just my imagination because there is no other choice. But at some point a life simulator is going to have to start simulating.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    @Cinebar "at some point a life simulator is going to have to start simulating." I can't see that happening with sims 4. I hope I'm wrong because it is one of the disappointments I have with this version.
  • egandreegandre Posts: 659 Member
    This inspired me! Just wondering... How did you do the "wedding" for the parents anniversary?
  • Brieanna19Brieanna19 Posts: 307 Member
    Your a great story teller, really enjoying this family! How did you get the parents to renew their vows?
    @egandre and @Brieanna19 Thank you guys!

To get your Sims to renew their wedding vows, you select the option on a wedding arch. However, you can't throw a specific party for wedding vow renewal. I had to just throw a house party so that means nobody actually watched the ceremony and reacted to it like at a wedding. So as a workaround, I had my Sims make a group with the guests and select "sit together" on the chairs so it looked like they were watching. They ended up having a fun party afterwards anyway! :)
  • Brieanna19Brieanna19 Posts: 307 Member
    That's very creative! Maybe if we get generations we will have the ability to have a renewal ceremony.. Would be pretty sweet!
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Another great episode. I enjoyed that you put Christmas into it. We never got Santa in TS3 either, so I don't really miss him. As for gift giving - I'm sure if people requested it they would add that feature in. But I actually don't mind having to use my imagination for some things. It doesn't make much difference to me if I don't see them pull a gift out of their back pocket, as opposed to just placing my own gifts around the house (like adding the llama game).

One thing I can't use my imagination for is weather! And somehow it never seems right to have my sims celebrate Christmas without snow. I really hope they can add weather to this game.

Do you use cc? How did you get the note left for Santa?

And thank you for giving details of the families, I will probably add some of them into my own game, especially your main family as I'm getting quite fond of them :)
  • tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    Simanite! Thanks for posting your families! :) I can't wait to see what the kids look like when their older!
    @Brieanna19 Yeah, I really hope we get a wedding renewal party type! :)

@elanorbreton Thanks so much! I hope if you try my Sims you like them. :) Yeah, I never fake Christmases usually because like you, it just feels wrong how it looks like summer! I don't mind so much about Santa, because like in my pictures the parents just faked it but I really want gift giving. I don't use CC, that note is in buydebug. :)

@tinahjalmar Thanks and you're welcome! You don't have long to wait to see. :)
  • tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    WOW! Now you have to update the family gallery. Or you don't have too. Your choice. The kids turned out great!
  • BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    @Simanite I love that hair style on her. Is the one with the ribbons and the hair clip part of a game pack?
    heartstopper-couple.gif
    edited July 2016
    @tinahjalmar Thank you! Well, I think I might leave them as kids on the gallery because that's how I started with them, then everyone can just age them up if they want to. :)

@BatmanFanGirl Do you mean this one with the flower clips?

28292606655_07d7254b30_o.png

If so, that came in Dine Out. :)
  • BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    @tinahjalmar Thank you! Well, I think I might leave them as kids on the gallery because that's how I started with them, then everyone can just age them up if they want to. :)

@BatmanFanGirl Do you mean this one with the flower clips?

28292606655_07d7254b30_o.png

If so, that came in Dine Out. :)

Yes, that one. WOw it's really pretty. :)
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • MissyScabtreeMissyScabtree Posts: 81 Member
    @Simanite I love your story and thank you so much for sharing! Your family is gorgeous! :)
    I've been getting more into making families to play lately, especially after the Kids pack. Normally I play a single sim or roomies, but willing to try out the family play now that there is a little more to do with the kids.
    "Silence is the most powerful scream."
  • NShippudenFanNShippudenFan Posts: 3,825 Member
    Lovely family and pictures :). I enjoyed looking at it all xD. You're a great storyteller
    LOVER of all things cosplay, anime, cats, Shadowhunters, and Sims 4!

Origin ID: Sims4Girl202

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Lol @ 'I wish to be taken to cas'

I wonder what's going to happen with them now... if you move Ryan into a home of his own you're gonna need a mod so their relationships don't crash and burn. Unless you never switch to playing him.
    @BatmanFanGirl It really is! I love it. :)

@MissyScabtree Aw, thanks so much! Yeah, I think kids have got a lot of nice things recently so it's fun to try them out. :)

@NShippudenFan Aw, thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

@elanorbreton Haha yeah, I knew that relationship culling was going to come back and bite me in the backside. :lol: