Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A different perspective on playing The Sims 4 [Picture heavy]

SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
This thread is in no way an attempt to lesson anyone else's opinions or to change their perspective on playing the game, but I wanted to give my own perspective on how I play the Sims 4 and what I find is possible.

The Porters (Kimberly-mom, Gary-dad, Ryan-son, Anna-daughter) are a family that live a pretty idyllic life in Willow Creek.

28075234572_a787e40bbf_o.png

Kimberly and Anna have a very close mother/daughter bond.

28075235372_c957ee7b45_o.png

Ryan took his little sister to the park. While he loves her, he can't resist teasing her sometimes. It's what big brothers do!

27563678004_81ece5ccab_o.png

Although she can give as good as she gets herself.

28075233132_d19a2f42de_o.png

Gary is a chef and foodie, so he nearly always prepares the family meals. They opted for a backyard barbecue, a perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

28179576845_860762dc35_o.png

As evening closed in, Kimberly made time to read Anna a story before bed.

28075229042_aab2219835_o.png

It was then time for kisses and hugs goodnight.,

27563675914_f914f80b64_o.png

28179575855_e8fde04c74_o.png

There'll be no monster visits in this room!

28075227292_917aab2acb_o.png

Kimberly and Gary relaxed on the front porch before turning in themselves.

27563676904_45e17091f3_o.png

The next morning was a school day for Anna and Ryan. Kimberly is a stay-at-home mom so she is always there to see them off in a morning.

28101287381_2a69e2059a_o.png

But both parents play an important role in keeping the kids' education on track.

28145338606_47c893294d_o.png

After homework, Anna met a new girl out in the neighbourhood - Jayda.

28101286381_b7551ef6f1_o.png

It was back home for dinner to try one of Gary's new cuisines.

28145337196_d3e63f095a_o.png

A kiss goodnight from dad this time.

28101284781_3080203b9a_o.png

Jayda came around to play after school the next day, she and Anna are becoming good friends.

27563671834_4b866a2ee8_o.png

Anna loves arts and crafts, and is building on her Creative aspiration.

28145335106_6a296f89d1_o.png

Kimberly went over to meet Jayda's mother, Aleah, and they swapped cute family pictures.

28145334286_bba9ff6250_o.png

Ryan makes sure to balance friends and studying (sometimes at the same time). His friend Easton happens to be Aleah's son and Jayda's brother.

27563827723_4b5589dc23_o.png

He is a normal teen, he loves playing the Sims. :sunglasses:

28145333076_d763821249_o.png

Kimberly headed to the spa with her friends Aleah and Charlee, walking in like they own the place.

28179572135_2fcf6e1aa2_o.png

Kimberly is trying new hobbies while her children are at school, so she checked the group in for a yoga class.

27563668514_4ca9b16c31_o.png

Synchronization!

27563667804_a71125580b_o.png

She headed home and spent some time with her family, feeling energised after her yoga session.

28075220112_4069e6e307_o.png

27563826173_821e1d455e_o.png

Even though the children are Gary and Kimberly's number one priority, they also make time for each other and headed off to the lounge for date night.

27563825933_c5086d2da1_o.png

28145328716_627711ab86_o.png

Kimberly has started keeping her own garden. She picked up a green thumb from her mother (who now lives overseas in Windenburg).

28145328106_8b9189df6e_o.png

Friday night- Homework for Anna, fun for Ryan!

27563825373_380086dbfe_o.png

He and Easton headed to the diner/arcade for the evening.

28145326216_678cb2dffc_o.png

28145325306_16f6ee31d8_o.png

28075215802_64977515e4_o.png

28145323506_d9fb5d8e51_o.png

On Saturday afternoon, Anna headed to the park to meet her friends she had met at school (Jensen and Ryley May) for a playdate.

28075214762_2524cccabd_o.png

28145318916_73e558232e_o.png

Ryan joined in for a while...

28145320286_d8d1e3ff1e_o.png

27563660284_d9ba7d0306_o.png

Until his interests moved to Anna's friends' teen sister, Nicole, who had also chaperoned them to their playdate.

28075214062_d5e92d7c69_o.png

Ryan certainly has a mischievous streak.

27898332170_0c182ca8bb_o.png

Uh oh.

27563656274_cf91e2937f_o.png

I guess she likes the bad boys.

27563654944_8af6dd0d42_o.png

28075207902_7cf40d3e34_o.png

Kimberly waited on the street for the kids to arrive back.

27563822803_40a95e1940_o.png

Gary is working at the restaurant, so it is pizza night!

28145314756_c91530590a_o.png

28075206342_283635aab2_o.png

Nicole and Ryan seem to enjoy each other's company, so they headed off to somewhere a little more private.

28145313846_6b55abcfd5_o.png

The next day, Ryan and Easton were out on a walk when they bumped into the new twins who had recently moved into the neighbourhood - Daryl and Lane.

27563818803_1277c0ce6b_o.png

Back home, Kimberly and Gary were also getting "acquainted."

28101263191_374db53ef7_o.png

28179562305_4fd65d1315_o.png

To celebrate Gary's promotion, the family headed off to the restaurant for dinner.

28101261221_8b48af4875_o.png

27563818083_2eecc5deef_o.png
Post edited by Simanite on

Comments

• cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    Thank you for doing this. I enjoyed your family , there are many ways to play and this is certainly a fun one.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Love it! Fab pictures, I really enjoyed looking through and reading your story.

One thing I wouldn't agree with, though, is their personalities. I don't see any differences shining through. And if you had an evil or insane sim, for instance, they wouldn't really behave much differently.

It is great that you've got a good game going on, but if that was me I would probably want to also be popping in to play as their friends households too... then I'd return to the main family to find they were no longer that awesome loving unit but hardly knew each other...
  • AshlieBoomAshlieBoom Posts: 143 Member
    Great post! Really liked reading through this. I have to agree with @elanorbreton with regards to the sims personalities, though. I want sims I can get attached to, and I want to see a bit more action in this game.

I like to rotate sometimes, which seems to be a disadvantage in the sims 4. One example of this would be the fact that I went back to my favourite household, to discover both elders had died, but it was like they never even existed. No mourning, no tombstones, nothing. Obviously relationship culling has been previously mentioned but thats still a bugbear for me and the fact that sims just don't 'react' to situations the way they used to in previous games. they've become less 'real' to me.
    I am, however, loving the fact that you seem to be getting lots out of the game, and I actually really would like to see how this family progresses and what happens when Ryan and Anna grow up!
    Stay happy, my friend! <3
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Lovely story and sims. I looked through it all and was smiling the whole way through.
    egTcBMc.png
  • altad1altad1 Posts: 1,091 Member
    I love your family, and I really enjoyed your pictures and reading through your story :). The club system and the new Kids stuff pack added so much to family play.

I do agree with @elanorbreton that personalities don't shine through, and relationship decay when you play rotationally is a huge problem. I don't rotate families anymore which I do miss doing.

I would like to see how your family progresses as well. :)
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    @cyncla Thank you! I agree, we can play many different ways but family play is my favourite. :)

@elanorbreton @AshlieBoom @altad1 Thank you guys! :) Now I understand what you guys mean about personality, like how Sims usually all react to a situation the same way regardless of their traits. Like once I tried a gloomy Sim and she was constantly happy because of decor moodlets overriding her trait. I guess what I meant I've done with my game is give them "artificial personalities". Like how they're all individual in their interests. And another example Ryan is the only one who'd do anything mischievous, but I'm the one controlling that. So I definitely get what you guys mean. And I hope the culling gets fixed, I would hate that. I can't imagine how that would feel if I played rotationally. :(

@Hermitgirl Thank you! Glad you liked it, I'll add more of their lives here. :)
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    There are a lot of comments that I read about TS4 that don't particularly correlate with my own experiences with the game, particularly regarding family play and the Sims themselves.

I think that most people on here know just how much I miss toddlers, and I do find their omission to have a negative bearing on my gameplay. However, from my own personal experience, I don't think that the statement I have seen that "TS4 has no family gameplay" correlates with my own experiences with playing the game. I hope that this thread might be helpful for some people in giving them ideas for playing families in TS4. I find playing my family to be very rewarding and charming to watch. I love that the Sims autonomously interact with their family members, and how we have so many family interactions that were missing in TS3 (such as parents cuddling children, family kisses, playing with dollshouses together).

I've also seen comments about how Sims have a lacking personality or individuality, and how there really isn't much to do except partying. I hope this thread might give people a few ideas on things their Sims can do. Like you can tell from this thread, my Sims aren't exactly party animals. But I find that I can still give them all unique and varied hobbies, and there's never a shortage of things to do. I feel like each age and (more traditionally) gender have things that they can do that feel real and engaging. I feel like I have given each of my main Sims a personality and lifestyle which they can engage with alone and with their friends, but they can always come back together as a family unit. I like how I have been introduced to clubs in this game session (something I hadn't explored before) and how clubs can be built overtime from just two Sims to a whole group of friends.

Anyway, like I've said, this thread isn't at all to diminish anyone else's opinion or to make them view the game differently. We are all welcome to our own perspective and I appreciate that some people won't agree with all of the points I've made. I just hope that this thread might give some people some more ideas for playing and enjoying the game. :smile:

Brilliant thread! I really enjoyed looking at all your pictures and seeing those relationships develop. I think we have a similar view of family play in TS4. I actually enjoy playing with families more in TS4 than I did with any other series, I find my family members are really adorable with each other, and I think the emotion system really brings them to life!

I think that the family players and legacy players do have legitimate concerns that do need addressing, and of course we really need those toddlers back! But I do truly feel like family play in TS4 is really rewarding. Thank you for sharing your screenshots and sim stories here.
  • poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    Thank you for sharing your story! I have been confused when someone says they there is no family play because I find there is lots of family play. I really enjoyed your family and it was wonderful to see how you play them!
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited July 2016
    I loved reading the story and seeing the pictures! :)
    I almost always really want to play this way as well but usually my sims' careers and aspirations take over and that is what I focus more on... :sweat_smile:
    Post edited by Omri147 on
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    There are a lot of comments that I read about TS4 that don't particularly correlate with my own experiences with the game, particularly regarding family play and the Sims themselves.

I think that most people on here know just how much I miss toddlers, and I do find their omission to have a negative bearing on my gameplay. However, from my own personal experience, I don't think that the statement I have seen that "TS4 has no family gameplay" correlates with my own experiences with playing the game.

For me, it means I don't play families as I find the huge leaps in ages stages to jarring. I really don't like it. I don't want to play without the bonding period of toddlers and teens just look like I missed most of their stage as they look like are ready to turn young adult immediately.
    I do like the child stage, but it's obvious to me that EA felt to pressured to get the game out to bother with toddlers and give teens more time for unique animations. I will buy more packs and play families when we get Generations. Other than that I will just play TS3 for a better family experience.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Cute pictures :smile: Nice to see someone enjoying themselves
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    @CK213 yes, it is very sad about the age stages. I think they did the kids well, but the gap from baby object to child is way too big. Similarly, the gap from child to 'teen' is huge too. So when I play TS4, I feel like there are only two stages to concentrate on - kids and adults. Babies bring nothing to the game, teens are really the same as adults, ditto for young adults, ditto for elders.

There are far, far too few differentiating life stages for a great game of life. They should have been adding more, not taking them away.

Whilst @Simanite did a beautiful story, I can't help thinking how it would have read if there had been a new addition to the family and one day they suddenly had a child amongst them the same age-stage as Anna.

We all know that Ryan is a teen, because we were told so. And you can think of him as a teen in your head because of that knowledge - but if we had been presented with just the pictures I would probably have thought there were three adults in the household. Sadly, when Anna grows up she will suddenly look as though she should be out at work rather than high school.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

I'm happy that you are able to find and make family play in your game. Your pics show wonderful grinning happy sims and I'm glad you can have fun. It doesn't change my opinion that I cannot find the happy in family play in Sims4. It does not meet my expectations as it does yours. I can't find the happy in any play in Sims4. :( I'm totally defeated by the art style, goofy smiles, silly walks, load screens and Stepford feeling that I got when I tried to play. The sims were all the same. Gave me the creeps. Happy Simming to you though. :)
    @Cinderellimouse Thank you! I certainly agree with all of your points. :)

@poeticnebula Thanks! And I agree. :)

@Omri147 Thank you! And I'm pretty much the opposite, even when I try to focus on careers romance and children always become the priority. :lol:

@CK213 I understand. I can only play this way, making the Sims in CAS. I can't stand to have my Sims reproduce in-game, so that limits me to only starting at childhood with my Sims and then not being able to let my children grow up and have families themselves. :( I hope we get what we want soon.

@king_of_simcity7 Thanks! :)

@bekkasan I understand, and I'm sorry. :(
  • AdelaideMannAdelaideMann Posts: 196 Member
    Very creative! Thanks for sharing.

It seems like a lot of work, which can be a good or a bad part of playing.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    This is so charming, @Simanite ! Thank you for putting it together :) I hope you get the toddlers you want to make your family play even better.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    This is great! It looks like you are having a wonderful time playing. Thanks for sharing a positive view. Your family's house looks really cool by the way.
    @AdelaideMann Thanks! I don't really consider it as hard work, I just enjoy playing them. :)

@luthienrising Thanks so much! You're always so sweet. :)

@JasonAnthonySterling Thank you! You I'm having a lot of fun. The house is pre-made but I've loved decorating it. :)
  • AmyDamesAmyDames Posts: 353 Member
    Loving this thread
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I started from the beginning, and I absolutely love your story!

So happy you are enjoying the game, and still hoping you get your T's <3

*hugs*
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    Beautiful screenshots, Simanite! Thank you for sharing your family's sim-story with us. It was a joy to read!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited July 2016

I think that most people on here know just how much I miss toddlers, and I do find their omission to have a negative bearing on my gameplay. However, from my own personal experience, I don't think that the statement I have seen that "TS4 has no family gameplay" correlates with my own experiences with playing the game. I hope that this thread might be helpful for some people in giving them ideas for playing families in TS4. I find playing my family to be very rewarding and charming to watch. I love that the Sims autonomously interact with their family members, and how we have so many family interactions that were missing in TS3 (such as parents cuddling children, family kisses, playing with dollshouses together).

I've also seen comments about how Sims have a lacking personality or individuality, and how there really isn't much to do except partying. I hope this thread might give people a few ideas on things their Sims can do. Like you can tell from this thread, my Sims aren't exactly party animals. But I find that I can still give them all unique and varied hobbies, and there's never a shortage of things to do. I feel like each age and (more traditionally) gender have things that they can do that feel real and engaging. I feel like I have given each of my main Sims a personality and lifestyle which they can engage with alone and with their friends, but they can always come back together as a family unit. I like how I have been introduced to clubs in this game session (something I hadn't explored before) and how clubs can be built overtime from just two Sims to a whole group of friends.

Anyway, like I've said, this thread isn't at all to diminish anyone else's opinion or to make them view the game differently. We are all welcome to our own perspective and I appreciate that some people won't agree with all of the points I've made. I just hope that this thread might give some people some more ideas for playing and enjoying the game. :smile:

Although your screenshots are absolutely adorable, most of it was just you being a good storyteller. I don't see this "gameplay" that you are talking about though. I literally just saw the same actions over and over. Drinking, eating, going to the diner, drinking, eating, going to the diner, then I just saw two kids playing at the dollhouse, the parents doing the same kiss cheek interactions over and over, a "woohoo talk" which really doesn't have much new animation, and thats about it. When you compare it to what you could do in past games "teaching your teens to drive, going out and doing REAL activities with your teens and kids, trick or treating, skating, kids could do pranks by this time in Sims 3, they could drive, parents could teach them to drive, parents could ground their children and teens, could scold them for not going to school, kids could go to prom with their dates by this point, pull pranks on others and the school itself, have a graduation ceremony, etc........there is so much that I can't list it all because it would be paragraphs long. At Carls Sims though he has a list that goes on for pages.