Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something wrong with Sims attention span?

I remember in previous The Sims, you could assign a sim to a task and come back later and they'd continue ordered task as long as they could (usually a bladder problem came which stopped them).

But it seems with Sims 4, my sims cannot concentrate on a single task more than 20 seconds before running to the other side of the lot to start another random task? what is wrong with them? :/

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    Unfortunately, they have the attention span of a goldfish :D
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    what is wrong with them? :/

Everything?
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    LOL!

OP to be honest I think it is the multi-tasking system they implemented. Almost everyone loves it, and there are cases where I do think it makes the sims seem more life-like. But if there's ever a TS5 I do hope they re-think it and maybe limit it to certain situations.

This system seems to make the sims constantly jump from one task to another task - because that's what multi-tasking really is; it's usually not doing more than one thing simultaneously, it's splitting your attention from one thing to another. It's my opinion that this is why it's difficult for them to get unplayed sims to do what they're tasked to do - IOW this is why maids don't always clean and retail employees don't always perform their assigned tasks, etc. They even said they spent a good chunk of time in developing Dine Out in getting sims to stay seated in restaurants and yet many people are seeing sims get up and walk around to go chat.

It's something that I personally find annoying. People who enjoy turning on their game and just observing their sims probably like this but I'm not a huge fan of the way it's currently been implemented. I hope it gets improved in the future.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    LOL!

OP to be honest I think it is the multi-tasking system they implemented. Almost everyone loves it, and there are cases where I do think it makes the sims seem more life-like. But if there's ever a TS5 I do hope they re-think it and maybe limit it to certain situations.

This system seems to make the sims constantly jump from one task to another task - because that's what multi-tasking really is; it's usually not doing more than one thing simultaneously, it's splitting your attention from one thing to another. It's my opinion that this is why it's difficult for them to get unplayed sims to do what they're tasked to do - IOW this is why maids don't always clean and retail employees don't always perform their assigned tasks, etc. They even said they spent a good chunk of time in developing Dine Out in getting sims to stay seated in restaurants and yet many people are seeing sims get up and walk around to go chat.

It's something that I personally find annoying. People who enjoy turning on their game and just observing their sims probably like this but I'm not a huge fan of the way it's currently been implemented. I hope it gets improved in the future.

I agree 100% percent, they need to tune it down a notch.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    A is doing something.
    A wants to talk to B.
    B is not even in the same room.
    A will talk to B, [plum]mit! A drops whatever they were doing.

Why couldn't there have been some actions designated as passive, so that they don't cause Sims to drop everything to route away? Talking would be a passive action.

Also, couldn't the talk-with-group feature be used to keep Sims from playing musical chairs while eating? The table they're eating at would be the group, and Sims at other tables would be very low priority to talk to.

A, B, and C are at one table, while D, E, and F are at another. So long as they have their meal, A should not try to talk to D.

What gets me is that you'll have a random sim pop in and join the conversation. A random complete stranger sim. I accept this behavior to occur when that sim is friends with members of the conversation, but a complete stranger waltzing up into your sim's face to chat with you and your sim's friend/family uninvited....Like who even does that? It's incredibly rude and awkward in a real social setting.

I also completely understand what you mean OP with the 'attention span' thing. The best is when your playing a doctor sim who is trying to diagnose a patient that suddenly stops everything to do push-ups on the hospital floor. It's incredibly stupid.

• SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Yes, the multi-tasking does sort of give our sims a bit of a case of "Attention Deficit--Ooh! Shiny!" some times. For instance, I can't have my doctor doing an X-ray scan with autonomy on and any other mood but Focused without him screwing around and trying to text or play games on his phone. Not to mention that sims who are writing, reading, or programming in the same room as a radio have a bad habit of turning it on, and the constant annoyance of having to specify for your sims to sit in the nearest available seat when they eat so that they don't go trekking up or down a whole flight of stairs just to chat with their buddy while they eat.

I mean, I get wanting to get the most out of every moment of every day...but this is ridiculous.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited July 2016
    meeoun wrote: »
    A is doing something.
    A wants to talk to B.
    B is not even in the same room.
    A will talk to B, [plum]mit! A drops whatever they were doing.

Why couldn't there have been some actions designated as passive, so that they don't cause Sims to drop everything to route away? Talking would be a passive action.

Also, couldn't the talk-with-group feature be used to keep Sims from playing musical chairs while eating? The table they're eating at would be the group, and Sims at other tables would be very low priority to talk to.

A, B, and C are at one table, while D, E, and F are at another. So long as they have their meal, A should not try to talk to D.

What gets me is that you'll have a random sim pop in and join the conversation. A random complete stranger sim. I accept this behavior to occur when that sim is friends with members of the conversation, but a complete stranger waltzing up into your sim's face to chat with you and your sim's friend/family uninvited....Like who even does that? It's incredibly rude and awkward in a real social setting.

I also completely understand what you mean OP with the 'attention span' thing. The best is when your playing a doctor sim who is trying to diagnose a patient that suddenly stops everything to do push-ups on the hospital floor. It's incredibly plum.

That upset me so bad in my game last night. Took my family out to dinner and they're having a conversation with a completely different table and get this. This is a family I just moved into town and they know no one! So I completely get the whole rude thing. Its like they're calmly having a conversation with their family and all of a sudden two random sims join in. It's like umm no... so i have to cancel the whole conversation and start the conversation over every single time.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Programmer of the Sims AI: "I don't see anything wrong with their atte-ooh something shiny!".
    raw
  • HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    sims in TS4 are waaaaaaaaaay to talkative.
    Seriously, stop talking to each other.

I dare you guys to try and have a date in this game. There is no privacy!! everyone bashes in the middle of the romantic conversation! GO AWAY I don't wanna have a conversation with the whole town.

This was really irritating. I wonder if this has been fixed by know, I haven't been playing TS4 for quite some time.
  • WitchirisWitchiris Posts: 67 Member
    lol, true.
    my problem is a sims stop cooking or eating to use the toilet, then finish cooking/eating.*sigh* eyeroll
    also fix the idle issue, having sims stand around doing nothing but swinging their arms or sighing for an hour or more is annoying.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited July 2016
    I've learned everything in the Sims 4 is limited including their attention span. Basically Sims in this iteration seem to suffer from memory loss including with the tasks you assign them. Reminds me of Up with a dog named Doug.
    abda88d301ef4290850c412aab72a656.jpg

Reminds me of Dory from Finding Nemo/Finding Dory too.
    6359348172277793781937083729_Runs%20in%20the%20family.gif
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    @coldplay2233
    I remember in previous The Sims, you could assign a sim to a task and come back later and they'd continue ordered task as long as they could (usually a bladder problem came which stopped them).

But it seems with Sims 4, my sims cannot concentrate on a single task more than 20 seconds before running to the other side of the lot to start another random task? what is wrong with them? :/
    just to make it clear

is with "come back later" meant staying the entire time on the same lot ?
    or
    "come back later" from a different lot ?

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
    edited July 2016
    just to make it clear

or

Either.

I mean a sim doesn't stay on an ordered task for longer before drifting off to do something else. And the autonomy is a bit worse. My sim ran over to the chess table, moved 2 pieces, then ran downstairs to use the microscope for about 20 seconds. Then ran back outside and jumped into the telescope.. he just rubber bands between all these objects, and there's no "needs" making him do this (all is in the green). I wish when they had no needs to fulfill, they'd just sit quietly & read a book or something. Or maybe meditate if they have the skill for it.
    just to make it clear

or

Either.

I mean a sim doesn't stay on an ordered task for longer before drifting off to do something else. And the autonomy is a bit worse. My sim ran over to the chess table, moved 2 pieces, then ran downstairs to use the microscope for about 20 seconds. Then ran back outside and jumped into the telescope.. he just rubber bands between all these objects, and there's no "needs" making him do this (all is in the green). I wish when they had no needs to fulfill, they'd just sit quietly & read a book or something. Or maybe meditate if they have the skill for it.

I noticed this badly last night. I was tempted to take off the autonomy on everyone because i couldnt get then ti stuck with anything except the computer. For some reason they will play that all day. This situation is very annoying... Very...
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
    edited July 2016
    Hermai wrote: »
    sims in TS4 are waaaaaaaaaay to talkative.
    Seriously, stop talking to each other.

I dare you guys to try and have a date in this game. There is no privacy!! everyone bashes in the middle of the romantic conversation! GO AWAY I don't wanna have a conversation with the whole town.

This was really irritating. I wonder if this has been fixed by know, I haven't been playing TS4 for quite some time.

Nope still not fixed. I just let them have a date at home thats how annoying it is to me. Cant even sit and have a meal with one other sim. But this is what Rachel explained. Sociak sims... More like needs to be quiet and sit down sims. They talk with each other more than my 3 year old and that boy has a motor mouth. Another thing I noticed is on of the sim mothers i have keeps stopping what shes doing to randomly hug her kids. Or the eldest brother keeps bothering his younger brother who has the loner trait when hes trying to have some alone time. Its annoying.
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    just to make it clear

or

Either.

hm ... so you mix autonomous behaviour also into it

those are 3 different codes at work

1. if on lot, given a task, the sim should perform it, unless it can be done while multitasking with something else, like eating & inviting a guest, or drinking & peeing or reading a book & watching TV ... - multitasking
    if it's not working that way, then it's a bug
    like eg those iconless hugging & want to talk
    2. if leaving the sim on lot while you are with another sim off lot, since there is no story progression so sims outside the currently active lot are not doing anything else than few bare actions regarding their needs, if you come back, then the sim is assigned randomly some task - no story progression saves ressources
    3. autonomy is autonomy, if sims are content because of their needs, they do what they do, since traits don't actually tell a sim to behave accordingly, so the sim jumps between actions, in most cases chasing fun providing actions, until a need is low enough to make him chase the need fulfillment, though last time i played on autonomy the fun advertising objects have overwritten even the self preservation - fun chaser
    lately they very often drink water also, if hunger is just a little down but still full green

@Hermai & @MzPigglyPooh
    talking in groups & barging in on a date by stranger sims is not a bug, there is nothing to be fixed, it's how TS4 is correctly working
    if you're disliking it
    then make a dating club for two,
    tell those sims what they ought to do & which not as the club's rules,
    eg being friendly with sims outside the club as prohibited action will prevent talking to strangers & will prevent strangers from barging in
    romantic interactions & being friendly within the club will contain conversations between those two sims only

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, this has got worse and worse since the I got the game in Nov/14. I have also noticed that the tasks put in the queue are less 'sticky'. I have had a sim doing something and then when I add something to their queue, this cancels their current action :/

The date issue is not problem for me really. If I want a couple to have privacy, then I make 'em date in a house :) If my sims are in public, the go away interaction in the mean category is very effective.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    I'm still trying to figure why they like to socialize in the bathrooms. I mean they even take their food in there, squeeze in next to the others and smile while they have at it.