Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    edited July 2016
    jojoyasmin wrote: »
    I don't know if anybody would find this of use, but I have a spreadsheet for the Prehistoric era's 20,000 simoleon goal since I decided to pick up the challenge today. It should automatically total everything for you and if you don't want the money spread into separate columns, you could just put the money in the daily totals. The spreadsheet is here for anybody who'd like to save the document into their own drive.

(If you do and you find an issue let me know)

Also, thanks for this awesome challenge!

Thanks for this! It's too bad I already completed this goal :\ I have a whole notebook paper filled with numbers from tracking this goal, lol :)

There is one issue though, we can't sell paintings to count towards the 20k goal, and you have them listed in your spreadsheet. Otherwise it looks good!
    Alternative or additional idea to tweak the clubs down a bit: Don't allow any clubs to go over to the next generation and era. If you have to start over with your next generation and/or era you won't have all the built up extras from the previous one and have to earn them again.

I thought about this too, but I liked the idea of having one club throughout the entire challenge, and you have to step down as leader as the eras progress. Sorta like passing on the crown, in a way :)
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
  • Zoey95Zoey95 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Earn 250 000 simoleons during a single Era - 2 points

@Cloudseeker If the household's net worth increases by 250,000 simoleons over an era, does it count? Or are there specific earnings (paying job, etc.) that must be used?
  • jojoyasminjojoyasmin Posts: 271 Member
    edited July 2016
    Snowie wrote: »
    There is one issue though, we can't sell paintings to count towards the 20k goal, and you have them listed in your spreadsheet. Otherwise it looks good!

Ah dang! Glad you caught that. I did throw it together quickly, but it's all fixed now! I hope it can be of use to someone though, even if you've already gotten it done :)

I think my next mission is to work on an up to date scorecard...
  • AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    I don't know if anybody would find this of use, but I have a spreadsheet for the Prehistoric era's 20,000 simoleon goal since I decided to pick up the challenge today. It should automatically total everything for you and if you don't want the money spread into separate columns, you could just put the money in the daily totals. The spreadsheet is here for anybody who'd like to save the document into their own drive.

This is awesome, are you going to make tabs in it for other eras as well?

• MeTime85MeTime85 Posts: 142 Member
    edited July 2016

(If you do and you find an issue let me know)

Also, thanks for this awesome challenge!
    I hope I did this right this time. @jojoyasmin Did you make this spreadsheet? That's very creative :) Oh, can you make it editable?

For-forum.jpg
    @AlHollandiyah Thanks! I actually plan on doing an up to date scorecard. I'll probably move my sheet to that and have the other eras there as well! I'm hoping to spend more time on that one lol
    MeTime85 wrote: »
    @jojoyasmin Did you make this spreadsheet? That's very creative :)

I did indeed :)
  • CloudseekerCloudseeker Posts: 353 Member
    Zoey95 wrote: »
    Earn 250 000 simoleons during a single Era - 2 points
    If the household's net worth increases by 250,000 simoleons over an era, does it count? Or are there specific earnings (paying job, etc.) that must be used?
    The money does not need to come from any specific source.
    I actually plan on doing an up to date scorecard. I'll probably move my sheet to that and have the other eras there as well! I'm hoping to spend more time on that one lol
    That sounds awesome! If and when you are finished with the scorecard, I'll add it to the main post, if you don't mind, so that people can pick and choose (especially since mine won't be updated until I eventually get back to working on this).
    34in38k.png
    edited July 2016
    MeTime85 wrote: »
    Did you make this spreadsheet? That's very creative :) Oh, can you make it editable?

If she makes it editable then everybody would be using the 1 and same document. You can however download it to your own google account and edit your own copy however you like!

That sounds awesome! If and when you are finished with the scorecard, I'll add it to the main post, if you don't mind, so that people can pick and choose (especially since mine won't be updated until I eventually get back to working on this).

Perfectly fine with me! I'll see if I do actually have the time to do it, but for now I just have my 20,000 simoleon tracker.
    (Finally) finished the Prehistoric era today! It took me a grand total of about 23 hours (WOW) and I ended up with a total net family worth of about 162,683. I decided to just count the anglerfish as done, since @Cloudseeker said that it would probably be changed and I was only $9 off, lol. I'll be building the early civilization home for this family in stream tomorrow, and I'm not planning to count that time into time spent on the early civilization (since I'm a perfectionist and it takes me FOREVER to build). That's about it for this update! I'm still posting parts of this challenge nearly every day on my YouTube channel, they're in the playlist titled "The History Challenge (Revival)".
    edited July 2016
    @Cloudseeker & simmers tackling this challenge: Now that I've completed the Early Civilization Era (as of minutes ago). I thought I'd offer a bit of feedback.
    Reach level 10 Charisma, Painting and Writing skill on the same Sim – 1 points
    This isn't overly easy, but can be accomplished readily with keeping the assigned sim on task.
    Earn 5 000 simoleons from playing music for tips – 2 points
    I accomplished this with a wee bit of time to spare. You cannot earn simoleons on residential lots. Also I could not earn any in the desert outside my lot. My sim did get a few bobs from playing in Granite Falls, very little though. How I earned the funds was to take my sim to the Early Civ lot found in my gallery. I had her create a club, with the only activity set "be friendly to everyone". I used points earned to buy 2 more members and nothing else. When I sent my sim to town, she started a club gathering. The club member and other NPCs gave her some tips now and again. It wasn't super easy tho. It was 15 different (long hours, almost full day) sessions to reach my goal. The club members mill around and socialize which makes for great scene shots. I think 5000 simoleons is a great goal.
    Earn a gold medal on a house party, with the maximum number of guests - 2 points
    I did it, but it was very hard. Note: on the party that does not require drinks, listening to music or dancing... it requires eating food, then cake. Oy, Everyone had eaten the cake under the food option, so I had to race to bake another cake. It also required multiple sims being playful at the same time, playing games at the same time and more. I achieved gold with 12 minutes to spare. Be prepared to micromanage.
    Display at least 100 unique in-game collectibles on your challenge lot - 2 points
    If you started collecting in the Prehistoric Era, this was fairly easy.
    Have the same Sim write 10 books of Bestseller quality – 3 points
    My sim (the same one that maxed charisma, painting and writing) wrote a total of 19 books, only 7 were best sellers before he died. In hindsight, I should have had him writing in town while my other sim played the violin. I had issues with the notebook, my sim could not continue writing anything he had started unless there was a computer on the lot. I had a hard time getting him inspired, and very rarely could I get him very inspired. I think this goal isn't easy, but doable. I however, didn't manage to earn the 3 points.

In using the randomizer for traits and aspirations. I was starting to get the same aspiration multiple times. About half way through the Early Civ era, I decided to eliminate the teen/adult aspirations that were 100% completed. Almost completed doesn't count for elimination. I don't feel like this is making it too easy as I am starting the Middle Ages with 4 out of 8 completed and I'm adding 3 more. Given how many aspirations there are to complete, I think it just gives me a fair chance at it.

I am really enjoying this challenge and still obsessed with it LOL
    @Zoey95 Very good information, thank you :)

I'll be keeping an eye on the playing music for tips goal, I need to know from a few more people how easy they find it before I'll be satisfied with how it is.

The house party goal is definitely getting another look at, as I have stated before.

The bestseller goal is also one I'll need to see how difficult it is for other people. It does seem at the moment like it might be a tiny bit too difficult.

When I first designed the challenge, having the Aspirations randomized without ability to change them or otherwise make sure you don't get duplicates all the time seemed like a good idea. I figured that you would have enough Sims over all the generations to negate the random factor. Now though, I'm thinking it could become frustrating very fast (as it seems to have for you), so I think I'll do some thinking on the matter.

Very glad to hear that you are enjoying the challenge so much, and I very much appreciate all the input :)
    34in38k.png
    @Zoey95 Very good information, thank you :)

I'll be keeping an eye on the playing music for tips goal, I need to know from a few more people how easy they find it before I'll be satisfied with how it is.

The house party goal is definitely getting another look at, as I have stated before.

The bestseller goal is also one I'll need to see how difficult it is for other people. It does seem at the moment like it might be a tiny bit too difficult.

When I first designed the challenge, having the Aspirations randomized without ability to change them or otherwise make sure you don't get duplicates all the time seemed like a good idea. I figured that you would have enough Sims over all the generations to negate the random factor. Now though, I'm thinking it could become frustrating very fast (as it seems to have for you), so I think I'll do some thinking on the matter.

Very glad to hear that you are enjoying the challenge so much, and I very much appreciate all the input :)

When I was getting aspirations for my Sims, at least in the prehistoric era you expect them to repeat a lot since there are so few that we're allowed to complete. However, on my second teenager I got the angling ace aspiration (which I had already done on two Sims) so I clicked the randomize button again in the hope of getting anything else. I did, and it also re-randomized the teen trait, so it didn't feel too cheaty to me. I know this is technically against the rules, but I didn't feel like pressing the re-roll button was very far from what you wanted for randomization. Maybe you could allow one re-roll each time you have to pick a trait/aspiration?
    I built my family's Ancient Greece inspired mansion today in stream! I'll upload the video of me building it as a speed build when the series on YouTube gets there, but it is uploaded to the gallery under #historychallenge and I took a couple outdoor screenshots of the house!
    hclZivN.png
    0cRDBTH.png

• TheGeekGamezTheGeekGamez Posts: 706 Member
    @Snowie that house is beautiful I love it!
    Thats veeeery nice looking indeed. Does make me wonder, isn't there a kind of big gap between prehistoric and ancient greek? It seems like jumping from 'nothing' (roasting fish above a campfire) to a complete house in the blink of an eye!
    @AlHollandiyah The gap will be slightly smaller in the major update I'm planning, where I'm splitting the Prehistoric Era in two. There will still be quite a gap (compared to the gaps between other Eras), though, and there's not much that can be done about that, sadly.

The reason there is a big gap is because I designed the different Eras to be as unique as possible compared to each other. That means that each Era in reality covers multiple time periods that are fairly similar to each other. For example, the Prehistoric Times (as it is right now) covers the Paleolithic, Mesolithic and Neolithic periods. Early Civilization covers Mesopotamia, ancient Egypt, ancient Greece and ancient Rome. Middle Ages covers the Dark Age, the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. And so on and so forth.

If I did it in a way that would make the gaps smaller, the Eras would start to blend into each other and they might start to feel very samey.
    34in38k.png
    I understand, I am very curious about the major update!
    @AlHollandiyah I am quite exctited about it myself, and once the millions of other projects I'm working on are good and done, I'll be able to get right back to working on this challenge :)
    34in38k.png
    Thats veeeery nice looking indeed. Does make me wonder, isn't there a kind of big gap between prehistoric and ancient greek? It seems like jumping from 'nothing' (roasting fish above a campfire) to a complete house in the blink of an eye!

@AlHollandiyah I agree about the gap. I elected to have a slower transition in my challenge. I used the new mate that arrived to introduce new clothing/items and the idea of living in a building instead of their skin tents. But they still slept on pallets on the floor initially. The older NPCs and some of my males resisted wearing anything other than the skins they had been wearing. I intend to do the same transitioning into the Middle Ages. Their existing home will transform into a more castle-like estate. I think my biggest jump will be from The Middle Ages to The Old West. I plan to tear the entire house down and start from scratch. I think I've figured out how to make that happen somewhat seamlessly in my storyline tho.
    I personally don't mind the big jump between eras when building is concerned, like Cloudseeker said it keeps them from feeling the same, plus I like to go through and build from scratch :) but that's just me, I understand not everyone is a building nut like me :p
    Zoey95 wrote: »
    @AlHollandiyah I agree about the gap. I elected to have a slower transition in my challenge. I used the new mate that arrived to introduce new clothing/items and the idea of living in a building instead of their skin tents. But they still slept on pallets on the floor initially. The older NPCs and some of my males resisted wearing anything other than the skins they had been wearing. I intend to do the same transitioning into the Middle Ages. Their existing home will transform into a more castle-like estate. I think my biggest jump will be from The Middle Ages to The Old West. I plan to tear the entire house down and start from scratch. I think I've figured out how to make that happen somewhat seamlessly in my storyline tho.

I would also like to have them live in a simple hut (wooden walls, straw roofs) before moving on to the next era. IMHO the gap after that is still quite big so I don't think that would make them feel like all are the same. I am very curious what cloudseeker is going to add next! As of now I'm still working on my huge prison challenge, so I still have time before I start my history challenge!
    I would also like to have them live in a simple hut (wooden walls, straw roofs) before moving on to the next era. IMHO the gap after that is still quite big so I don't think that would make them feel like all are the same. I am very curious what cloudseeker is going to add next! As of now I'm still working on my huge prison challenge, so I still have time before I start my history challenge!
    I've talked to Cloudseeker a bit about this and he has disclosed that there will be a Stone Age part to the Prehistoric era, where we will be allowed to build huts, etc. :) Seems he's very busy at the moment, so for now just play it as is, I don't think our pestering will get him to release the update any sooner :p
    Oh I never meant to pester, I'm not going to play the challenge anytime soon as my prison challenge has just started. I was just interested. In flat text this might have gotten across otherwise, so I hereby appologise for the misunderstanding!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top