Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• Zoey95Zoey95 Posts: 1,549 Member
    xoxJennxox wrote: »
    I'm working my way through Generation 0 (around $6,000, 3 kids with 3 women).

My question is How do you do the family portrait?

@xoxJennxox I had one of my sims level up up in painting for portraits and to prepare for the Early Civilization era. You're not required to have the entire family in the portrait :)
    MeTime85 wrote: »
    I have a few questions: 1) What are we supposed to do with the ghosts of the ancestors? I've never played with ghosts, and don't plan to if I can help it.

@MeTime85 I now have three urns on my lot and I very rarely notice a ghost around. They don't cause an issue at all.
  • MeTime85MeTime85 Posts: 142 Member
    For-forum.jpg
    I did it! I achieved gold medal on a house party with the max number of guests in the Early Civilization era. It was brutal, I tell ya! I lost count of how many plum house parties I threw to finally get one that didn't require a drinks or dancing. I reached the goal with 12 minutes left in the party. My household is completely miserable, one poor sim peed himself and then passed out exhausted right there at the end. I have never worked so hard for 2 points in all my life LOL
    Lol @Zoey95
    I'll be going in game later to play. Hopefully I can get through some of the goals before I decide to get the ancestors pregnant. It's boring with just the two of them :(
    For-forum.jpg
    Lol @Zoey95
    I'll be going in game later to play. Hopefully I can get through some of the goals before I decide to get the ancestors pregnant. It's boring with just the two of them :(

@MeTime85 Yes, I had my founders try for a nooboo right away. The prehistoric goals aren't too bad. They kind of fall into their daily tasks.
  • CloudseekerCloudseeker Posts: 353 Member
    @Zoey95 That is awesome that you eventually managed to get the gold medal, congrats! It does really seem though that it is waaay to frustrating to get, so I will see what I can do with that goal when I get back to this project :)
    34in38k.png
    Ok. The 'complete at least ten in-game collections'-- do I keep the collections until the end of the challenge, or do I just tally my collections for each sim? How does that work?
    For-forum.jpg
    @MeTime85 As long as you have at least 10 collections that at any point in the challenge have been listed as Complete in any Sim's collection tracker, the goal is satisfied. To make it easier, you can always store collectibles somewhere (on the lot, in a chest, in your family inventory, wherever you want) so that you can just grab them with a Sim once you have everything for that collection. That way, you can work on a collection across multiple generations.
    34in38k.png
    So basically, we have to do both. Fulfill the collection goal and have the collections to show for it?
    For-forum.jpg
    So basically, we have to do both. Fulfill the collection goal and have the collections to show for it? And I'm having trouble getting my sims' logs to not burn out so easily, which, in turn, makes it so that they can't grill fish properly, and they starve. I think I'll just have them eat grilled fruit when they're hungry, though I despise the use of plates :(
    For-forum.jpg
    I'm sorry for spamming, but I can't delete posts. It's kinda confusing, so I'm going to just have my ancestors sell things, and worry about the collections when it's time. As long as we can collect over multiple generations, it's not important right now anyway.
    For-forum.jpg
    @MeTime85 You don't need to do both. Storing the collectibles is only to make it easier to complete them (so you don't need to find them all within a single Sim's lifespan). As soon as a collection is marked as "Complete" in any of your Sims' collection tracker, you can make a note wherever you keep track of your score that you have completed that particular collection, and then you can delete/sell/whatever all of the items in that collection. The only time you actually need to have collectibles stored and displayed on your lot is for the Early Civilization goal "Display at least 100 unique in-game collectibles on your challenge lot" (and they don't need to be part of the same collection).

As for the logs, you can add multiple logs directly one after the other, that will give your Sims more time to grill without having to add new logs.
    34in38k.png
    Well, that about sums it up! Thank you so much @Cloudseeker :) I will try to be patient with the fire pit
    For-forum.jpg
    Well, that about sums it up! Thank you so much @Cloudseeker :) I will try to be patient with the fire pit

@MeTime85 Don't throw too many logs on if you have seats around the fire. The seats will catch on fire! Ask me how I know LOL
    Lol @Zoey95 Thanks for the heads up :)
    For-forum.jpg
  • TheGeekGamezTheGeekGamez Posts: 706 Member
    @Zoey95 i once had a plate that was next to the campfire catch on fire, i couldn't stop laughing so half my camp burnt down.
    @Zoey95 i once had a plate that was next to the campfire catch on fire, i couldn't stop laughing so half my camp burnt down.

@TheGeekGamez ROFL I hope you got screenshots. In the Early Civ era it's been that plum incense burner catching fire in my game :D
    edited July 2016
    Oops double post :#
  • xoxJennxoxxoxJennxox Posts: 406 Member
    Zoey95 wrote: »

@xoxJennxox I had one of my sims level up up in painting for portraits and to prepare for the Early Civilization era. You're not required to have the entire family in the portrait :)
    /quote]

I know how to do a portrait. My question was in regards to how to get at least three people in one, which I ended up figuring out on my own.
    Origin ID xoxJennxox
    Jenn's Junkyard - Current Stuff
    Tart ISBI -Completed 12/12/2016
    Zoey95 wrote: »

/quote]

I know how to do a portrait. My question was in regards to how to get at least three people in one, which I ended up figuring out on my own.

So how do you do it?
    For-forum.jpg
  • SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    You do portraits by using the "paint from reference" interaction that is unlocked at level 3 painting. You have to have one Sim do the painting, which is why we are now allowed to create a Sim who you commission to come in and paint the whole family if you don't want anyone to be missing from the portrait.

When doing a painting from reference, anything behind the easel (anything that isn't being "faced" by the canvas) you won't be able to paint, so I would suggest positioning Sims behind the painter's back before choosing the "paint from reference" interaction on the easel. It helps if you turn autonomy off :) Also keep in mind, you can hit escape to cancel a painting from reference, but you won't be refunded the money used to start the painting.

Hope this cleared some of this up :) Also, it's helpful if when quoting you type after the bbcode that says quote, so that we know what you're asking vs what you're quoting.
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
  • SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    edited July 2016
    An update for all of you! I've played this challenge about 19 hours, and am nearing the end of the prehistoric era. So far I've achieved all of the goals except for the plum anglerfish, which I've been working on for several Sim days and have been grinding fishing in stream, VERY frustrating, lol. The closest I've gotten was 1,491, and I felt lucky getting that one o.o

My prehistoric Sims are doing very well financially, even after spending $4,000 on a family painting. Their on-hand cash is $93,724 and their lot worth is $32,301 for a total of $126,025! Both of our kids have aged into teenagers, and the eldest is going to become a young adult soon... hopefully we can catch that anglerfish before then!

Funnily enough, only one of my four other ladies that were... ahem... impregnated... actually CALLED to let me know that she had given birth to my child. Talk about rude... Speaking of calling, the phones are going absolutely nuts with ringing, even though they're silenced. (What's the point of the phones being on silent if they still ring?) I might look for a mod to fix this, if I can't find some other solution in the meantime.

@Cloudseeker You can check out my past broadcasts or my videos as they come up, but the use of clubs seems a bit... unbalanced for this challenge. All I did was set the club interactions to fishing, gardening, woodworking, swimming, and hanging out by the fire, and now at the end of the Prehistoric era have almost every club perk available, including ones that give a powerful focused moodlet at the click of a button, and perks that boost every skill my Prehistoric Sims use. (The kids get a double boost when fishing-one from the "mental skill" perk and another from the "fishing perk", plus the focus moodlet. One of them was almost level 10 fishing before she even became a teenager.) I don't think we should forbid the use of clubs altogether, but perhaps limit how many perks we can add in each era or limit the number of approved activities. If you limited the perks per era, you could then carry the club throughout the entire challenge and limit it so that they don't get everything unlocked until the end. My suggestion in this case would be one social bonus, one or two skill bonuses, and two club vibes (there are three levels to each vibe, so for example you could do one focused and one flirty, or two focused, but not two focused and one flirty). If you were to restrict the number of club activities, I would recommend 3. The leader of the pack aspiration will still be complete-able in the Prehistoric era following these rules.

Also, If you want I can keep track of how long it takes me to complete each era (in hours) and you could add these to each era's comment so that people have a general idea of how long each era takes. I could even do a mark for when I complete the goals vs when I move into the next era, if you want :) I thought it would be a cool tidbit to add to the end of each era; an "average time" that it takes to complete the era, and perhaps a average time for the whole challenge. Of course, anyone playing the challenge could give you their numbers so that you can get a more accurate time :)

Edit: Also, if you're thinking to change some goals in the Prehistoric era (my vote is for the anglerfish) you could have a goal like, don't let any plant die (and you can only sell plants that are in perfect health). Just a thought, I nearly killed my plants several times so it would be a challenge for at least some of us :)
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
    @Snowie Wow, those are some very good ideas and bits of information! :)

The anglerfish goal, like the house party goal, seems to be more frustrating than hard for many people, so I might think about lowering the value of it just a little bit.

I think I vaguely remember seeing a "complete phone silence" mod somewhere, but I'm not sure (I'm a bit tired at the moment, might be just thinking about the "sims don't fiddle with their phones" mod.

I like your suggestions for club limits, I'll note them down and take a closer look at them along with all my other planned updates :)

Average Era Completion times sound pretty nice so sure, you and other players are more than welcome to let me know how long each Era and/or its goals take to complete :)

The "don't let any plants die" goal has been noted as a goal idea and will be considered :)
    34in38k.png
  • jojoyasminjojoyasmin Posts: 271 Member
    edited July 2016
    I don't know if anybody would find this of use, but I have a spreadsheet for the Prehistoric era's 20,000 simoleon goal since I decided to pick up the challenge today. It should automatically total everything for you and if you don't want the money spread into separate columns, you could just put the money in the daily totals. The spreadsheet is here for anybody who'd like to save the document into their own drive.

(If you do and you find an issue let me know)

Also, thanks for this awesome challenge!
    Post edited by jojoyasmin on
  • AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Alternative or additional idea to tweak the clubs down a bit: Don't allow any clubs to go over to the next generation and era. If you have to start over with your next generation and/or era you won't have all the built up extras from the previous one and have to earn them again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top