Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @SimGuruDrake Sorry I missed you again as I was at work lol

But my question is for some players who want to see more neighbourhood editing options in the game. I am not expecting a CAW tool like in TS3, but I would hope to see that in a future game like TS5 maybe but for TS4 at least an option to add lots or move them around, like in TS2 as at the moment one thing that does put me off TS4 is how small the neighbourhoods are and the fact that they are always going to be the same. Everyone will play the same Willow Creek as everyone else with no personal touch added and coming from TS3 I am not used to that as I built my own world from scratch.

What would be your views on this and any word on any neighbourhood editing in the future?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Hi @SimGuruDrake. I hope that you reconsider reading this thread at least when you have time occasionally. Yes it does occasional derail, but this thread has been one of the few places I feel safe enough to talk about the Sims games without the fear of personal aspersions. There are good people here and I have made several friends thanks to this thread.

Anyway feel free to ask Simmers questions here if you choose to. They will be happy to answer.

Life stages are very important to me. Each stage should feel unique, have life events that Sims can remember later on in life, have lasting relationships and friendships, easy accessibility in making Sim bios and photo albums, and a learning process for Sims. I think it is very good the SP is making children finally unique with their imagination and I hope that gets expanded further. One thing that made me sad with children and Sims in general is the loss of play interactions. I would love to see more physical play Sim to Sim interactions like tag, Mary Mack, and water balloon fights again. Anyway I hope you have a lovely day. Today was my last day of my temp job.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    clover24 wrote: »
    Ill show you a couple of pictures of Aurora Skies.

But first thing is first, a little update on what these pics are about. Ok after work Shanna decided to check out some sights, I should have taken some pics here but got distracted by the crowd of people that swamped Shanna at the Diner/supermarket. She had recently published her first book and that and the irresistible trait combined (im guessing) had her swamped with thanks for writing her book. Well she meet Adam Birch, and they hit it off really well and within no time they became good friends. (Yes only friends) he was obviously a lonely soul because he asked her to become move in as a room mate. Well she accepted. What could go wrong they were great friends.....
    So meet Adam, not the greatest shot but the only one I got.
    Screenshot-10_zpsljbv2yip.jpg
    Turns out hes a huge flirt. With a girlfriend and a bit on the side as well. Not to mention reproducing and not even knowing the offspring.
    Well, he likes to flirt a lot.
    Screenshot-13_zpsttjxgk34.jpg
    And he especially likes to flirt with Shanna a lot. And he likes to woohoo a lot. Which his friend list is evidence off. His bit on the side turns out to be Shanna's bosses girlfriend, and Adam took no time at all to woohoo with this woman and break up a family. Shanna spent a whole evening cheering up her bosses and taking care of their baby.
    Screenshot-11_zpsffqybh96.jpg
    And not matter his mistakes and issues Shanna has become fascinated with this sim. Their friendship is strong and there is a sparkle between them. But should I allow this to continue?
    Screenshot-14_zps9x6iv8e1.jpg
    Screenshot-15_zpspglshlsm.jpg

Oooooh, idk. He looks like trouble. Very good looking trouble. Maybe she'll be the girl to tame him? Keep me posted? I want to know how it ends!!!!

--T
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I hope no one misunderstood why I provided those links. I am 100% behind toddlers being added to this game (for free) before I see anything else that I want for myself. I don't play families in this game for that reason and many other reasons because I feel TS4 isn't for families in the game but for playing a single Sim. I can't play families though I tried to when I first got this game, but decided I would play the other ways I play after years of playing families once I had done many things about families in the other games. So, I'm not at all implying or requesting toddlers don't come first before anything else I would want for other reasons. I am also a family player but I can't play that way in this game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Don't worry @Cinebar I don't think anyone did :) thanks for sharing them, I'm sure they'll give some insight for the team.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    @Writin_Reg amazing post!

The way you play TS2, or any game, is the way I play too. In fact, your whole first paragraph could've been written for me.

Amazing! @SimGuruDrake please read.

--T
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Thanks. I appreciate it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    As everyone is putting there input I'll give mine.

I'm a storyteller whether it's creating a book I just read and playing it out or creating my own. (you could say I never grew up from my childhood I went from dolls to sims and haven't stopped playing since) and once that story ends I either see where the sims take me or begin with a new one. With previous sims game I could create so many stories involving lifestages, town life and as the game continued to develop more was added. Because of the open world sims 3 is my favourite I could jump from member to member and explore the town and develop each sim along the way with leaving any behind. Life stages are also a big thing, for example a few month back I could create a story with a somewhat dysfunctional family exploring different lifestages in that family. My favourite stories are romances so I tend to start with a male or female YA and find there solemates.

This is where I tell my story with sims 4. I'm gna start with my likes, I can create a story, a romance which I have done on many occasions, unlike sims 3 I can rotate easily between households this is a plus even though loading screens are my issue I make do. I can create many stories in one game, I never gone more than two so far but the options are there, and I like some of the add ons that have come over time, I don't mind g2w and I enjoy dine out. And Im in love with the gallery.
    However I find that the story progression is lacking in unplayed household and the story progression in played household are two much. I'm not computer whizz but I doubt that could change.
    My main issue is lifestages. I create a story and I'm enjoying it until it's procreation time I can't stand the object baby and I miss the connection I have with toddlers. I can't create any storyline I wish because of the missing lifestage and if I begin a single parent story I always like to start child as young as possible so I can connect with the sim. And I find that having that big jump breaks the immersion of the story.
    Overall I find I'm limited, my creations are capped and I don't have the world in my palm the way I did with previous games. Because of this I have adapted the way I play for s4 and result in return to sims 3 to get my fix of storytelling. I have never gone back before and the transition of jumping to one generation to another takes it toll on me, to the point were I argue like an insane sim with myself over what one I shold be playing. It's weird I know.

I'm not moaning, I just saying it how it is in my opinion. I just want them back. For me it's a huge part of family play and my stories I create. I don't rule my game the game rules me and I have never had that before.

I know I can never have answers or explanations, it's just a waiting game, to see if they ever do return. But I think it's important to see from everyone what there issue is to see if it comes down to one simple solution.

@Writing_Reg plays so different to the way I play but at the same time i want simular things as she does. So @SimGuruDrake please read all these little posts as I hope to find you will find them rather enlightening. And thank you for the repossession to other people's questions I found them interesting to read and big thanks for answering @elanorbreton post I really wanted to see an answer for that one. :)
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @clover24 Nice reply :smile:

I also agree that I 'never grew up' since playing The Sims.

I just grew older, but I am less likely to wall Sims in and set hedges on fire like I used to ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake, you asked someone here why they thought this game is lacking and boring compared to the others. Setting aside a lack of family play and missing life stage, this is my perspective and many others who agreed.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/868236/why-all-sims-are-the-same/p1

ETA: And this one sheds much light on why people are bored with TS4.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/818929/the-life-simulator-vs-the-the-sims-4/p1

To be fair - to some of us - me in particular the family play and especially the missing toddlers is WHY I find this game boring - and nothing BUT bringing back our toddlers first and foremost is going to fix that.

I focus first and foremost on the family aspect and EACH little life stage. As all else in my sims life comes later. I play Sims 2 Legacy style - no matter which game it is - THAT is how I play and how I have played since Sims 2 came out.

During Sims 1 days - first of all the game was new and we never had a game like it - no where. I was privileged as one who in NOV. 1999 got chosen to test "The Sims", and had a single male Sim to test out the game with (The Tutorial guy). I will not go into particulars and simply say I found the game amazing, engaging, and more fun than an adult human being had a right to feel. LOL. So I loved it at first bite - that I admit. I also have to admit when testing was over I was so lost with out this game and even scolded myself for being a grown woman and feeling this way over what I saw as a toy. Didn't matter - I missed it so much.

Imagine my surprise in late January when the mail man knocked on my door bearing the full The Sims game - a gift from EA/Maxis for testing the new game: It was like Christmas morning to me when I was a kid all over again. Could not open it fast enough and install it - which by the way back in those days was not a zippy fast experience it is now - but alas it was installed and running. I was off...

I did first play the Goth family as I was immediately drawn to the doll house aspect of the game. My Goths family was not complete to me so I set about getting them a baby. Needless to say - even in this brand new game that virtually had me mesmerized with it's uniqueness - I was startled more than I can say when a phone call from my sim resulted in an infant that just poofed into their living room - bassinet and all. I also became quickly dismayed by the limits with this new little infant which made it so different than the rest of the family - interaction wise first of, as there was next to no interaction and their already existent daughter had no interaction what so ever. This was not a family or family play I expected of this brand new game - and it became even worse when 3 Sims days later the infant poofed into a child the same age as the Goths little girl. The icing on the cake grew even more bitter when I learned the little girl could not grow up, nor could her little sister. They would be the same age/size for ever.... at this point. I also kept feeling more was missing... I just could not put my finger on it - but the joy of testing the game was gone once I actually had the game - and frankly I wanted it back. Sadly I shelved the game for the day anyway.

It was a few days later I decided to try again - but not with the family - I saw the two female roommates and decided to give them a go - and then I begin to find some of the joy I had in playing the test game. After that I avoided families like a plague as I was distressed by the never growing up, the going to school 7 days a week, and especially how the infant was presented - particular the poofing to child age I totally hated - it was wrong and the family was not a family with that infant at all in my book. Real life was not like that. I just did not at the time realize quite what it was. But I did manage to stay happily playing the game over the next 4 years with just single adults or roommates - no one marrying of course, as the family aspect was just wrong to me - but other wise the game was delightful WHEN I played the game anyway.

I say all this because I realized when Sims 2 came out all that I felt missing apparently Maxis saw too because this time around everything and I do mean everything was RIGHT. I could not put the game down. Had huge families and loved every minute of their lives. My only complaint was their lives were too short for me - I wanted more time with the wonderful toddler stage and especially adult stage. I wanted the YA stage that came with Uni also possible outside of Uni towns. But outside of those small things - Sims 2 met all my expectations and continued to WOWed me over and over - well at least until the change to DVD in mid stream of production, and the dreadful DRM - Securom - that did my pc in. Actually it did in 3 of my pcs as I could not give up on the Sims 2. I had a very irate PC Tech hubby over it all - believe me, having to constant rebuild me new pcs and all.

When Sims 3 came out - minus the horrid pc damaging type of Securom - I was over joyed - Hubby was so over joyed he pre-ordered it for me. LOL. I was back into the Sims seat more or less back in control. I did see many of the aspects of Sims 2 family play diminished, but at least we still had all the life stages and on top of it the new added YA stage to boot. As if in answer to my wish for Sims 2 - way longer life stages with epic aging and even sliders to lengthen preferred stages even longer. Yep I was in heaven. To add to that cars in the base game - YEAH!!!!

I will not get into particulars in Sims 3 - needless to say I loved it for the most part - even though I was bit sad family play was not as wonderful as it had been in 2 - there was enough diversions and new pluses as the game grew to keep me pretty darn happy and at a really bad time in my life - helped me through the worse of days - including 5 years of being confined to my house due to a serious illness. I cannot imagine not having had Sims 3 - it truly kept me sane and helped because I could make my Simself and real life family - houses - etc and have them live the life I had been living and do things I could no longer do. I honestly believe the Sims 3 helped me beat the monster I fought (the illness) and I will be ever grateful it existed. I was also one of the lucky ones and learned to make it play beautifully for me.

Then Sims 4 came out - my hubby was building me a super computer, but the one I had at the time was not shabby at all anyway and way more capable than the Suggested requirements stated so I was ready to add yet another rendition of my very beloved series. I will say I visualized a Sims 2 - Sims 3 best of both for the Sims 4. It was a sure winner in my book and agreed by from more simmers than I can name for sure - I was not alone in my thoughts - and it was often mentioned on the early threads. The week prior to E3 of 2014 devs stated all life stages and cars would be in the base game - so I pre-ordered. Not a month later rumors were swirling no toddlers and no cars. The cars I could take - but no toddlers? Toddlers is what made the whole game right for me when Sims 2 came out and what made me almost give up on Sims 1 - so believe me I was stammied. Totally aghast they would remove the toddler stage that so brought this game to real life - FOR ME. I was devastated and no amount of telemetry can relay that. So it was an insult to me personally when I hear it is telemetry as to why they thought they would be alright to way lay toddlers and for some reason that same telemetry even told them we did not play with toddlers. I just have no words to that - no words at all.

So here I sit unable to enjoy the Sims 4 at all because we still do not have toddlers. To me Sims became more than a game - so much more - it is hard to really put it into words even for a wordsmith like me - but when one cannot even create their own families in a game that simulates life and family life - I just do not know what else to say.

The fact I now run my new computer - can run any game out there - and where am I? Still here, and still stressing over the Sims 4 and toddlers. The fact is the devs do not seem to get how strangely important this game and even those toddlers are to people - me in particular. Telemetry cannot tell you that. Not ever. People are not like a book that can be read - our emotions are not programmable or even often changeable - and nothing about a human being will ever transpose and be seen fully in any form of telemetry to date. That is just how it is. Data will never tell you the whole story - ever. It takes a real live human being to tell you what is in their heart and mind, and most of all how they truly feel.

200w.gif
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I had to @Writin_Reg ... Such a beautiful post! I have to say that i feel that same way. And everytime I play a little bit of my heartbreaks because i miss how family play was in 2. Sadly i dont have it anymore to play but the sweet memories will always be there :(
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
    clover24 wrote: »
    As everyone is putting there input I'll give mine.

I'm a storyteller whether it's creating a book I just read and playing it out or creating my own. (you could say I never grew up from my childhood I went from dolls to sims and haven't stopped playing since) and once that story ends I either see where the sims take me or begin with a new one. With previous sims game I could create so many stories involving lifestages, town life and as the game continued to develop more was added. Because of the open world sims 3 is my favourite I could jump from member to member and explore the town and develop each sim along the way with leaving any behind. Life stages are also a big thing, for example a few month back I could create a story with a somewhat dysfunctional family exploring different lifestages in that family. My favourite stories are romances so I tend to start with a male or female YA and find there solemates.

This is where I tell my story with sims 4. I'm gna start with my likes, I can create a story, a romance which I have done on many occasions, unlike sims 3 I can rotate easily between households this is a plus even though loading screens are my issue I make do. I can create many stories in one game, I never gone more than two so far but the options are there, and I like some of the add ons that have come over time, I don't mind g2w and I enjoy dine out. And Im in love with the gallery.
    However I find that the story progression is lacking in unplayed household and the story progression in played household are two much. I'm not computer whizz but I doubt that could change.
    My main issue is lifestages. I create a story and I'm enjoying it until it's procreation time I can't stand the object baby and I miss the connection I have with toddlers. I can't create any storyline I wish because of the missing lifestage and if I begin a single parent story I always like to start child as young as possible so I can connect with the sim. And I find that having that big jump breaks the immersion of the story.
    Overall I find I'm limited, my creations are capped and I don't have the world in my palm the way I did with previous games. Because of this I have adapted the way I play for s4 and result in return to sims 3 to get my fix of storytelling. I have never gone back before and the transition of jumping to one generation to another takes it toll on me, to the point were I argue like an insane sim with myself over what one I shold be playing. It's weird I know.

I'm not moaning, I just saying it how it is in my opinion. I just want them back. For me it's a huge part of family play and my stories I create. I don't rule my game the game rules me and I have never had that before.

I know I can never have answers or explanations, it's just a waiting game, to see if they ever do return. But I think it's important to see from everyone what there issue is to see if it comes down to one simple solution.

@Writing_Reg plays so different to the way I play but at the same time i want simular things as she does. So @SimGuruDrake please read all these little posts as I hope to find you will find them rather enlightening. And thank you for the repossession to other people's questions I found them interesting to read and big thanks for answering @elanorbreton post I really wanted to see an answer for that one. :)

Thanks for the mention Clover. Actually I did play the way you play for about 7 months working on bringing to life one of my own childrens books - a Christmas story called "Why Elves?" using Sims 2. When it was done I shared it on the story book forum of Sims 2 we used to have. Now that story could have benefited from Sims 3 - LOL - as I had to make it appear my teen-age Elves, Jingles and Jangles were traveling a long distance by sleigh, over mountains and such to Christmas Town. So it meant making each lot in that town Unique and part of their long journey.

Also without toddlers that story would have never happened - as the story starts out right after the first birthday of these very rare Twin Elves - and all the stages toddlers went through until they turned children in their elfin village played a part of this tale. So yes I have at least done the one story anyway - it was fun, sometimes stressful too. LOL.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    edited July 2016
    @Writin_Reg

I too recognize myself in your post@Writin_Reg. For me, the Sims 1 was the first computer game I ever played. Bought it for my son and he lost interest before the first ep was released. Me. I was hooked. And when TS2 was advertised I couldnt wait! And it was all I thought and more! TS3 was a small let down as you indicated, but it too satisfied my needs and actually I did something I had never done before. I joined a community. It started with the creative corner and expanded to caw. I met some awesome people who I could share my love of building and creating with. The story telling board was awesome

Disgust, disappointment and anger is all I have gotten from TS4. I felt ripped off from day one. It was an incomplete train wreck that I still to this day can not enjoy. It is repetitive and boring. The sims are neurotic clones as traits mean nothing. The limitations are constricting and I refused to spend any cash beyond the train-wreck base. Its sad as The sims are still the only game I play. I have returned to TS2 for now. I dabble in caw, but that it. Its so sad that someone decided to take the sims franchise in a "new" direction. I guess I was mistaken in thinking the brand was fine as it was.

Oh well.Glad to see you here and hope all is still well for you@@Writin_Reg

kim
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Great post, @Writin_Reg. Except for me, I actually did play families even during TS1 days. But you are so right about how amazing TS2 advanced the game. I also was never happy with the reduced family play in TS3 (among other things) but there were enough things in that game that I love to still make it my favorite.

Love your screenshots and story, @clover24. :)
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I understand but even with toddlers this still isn't a life simulator anymore it's a charade, and even with toddlers Sims all being in the same isn't going to be fun even if they add toddlers for me and you and or kids being actual kids and teens being actual teens. Because the emotions overrule what behaviors those types of Sims should have also.

This is how I feel as well. I think the game needs to be about the lifespan of a sim, and all the different directions they can go in life. Someone posted a TS2 video the other day, and it was about the different aspirations; romance, family, fame, etc. Those aspirations were the various ways you could take your sim's life. For me, there was always family behind any one of those.

As someone else said, TS4 feels like it's about choosing an avatar and playing mini-games. 'Manipulate emotions and level up careers! Throw parties and unlock content! Learn cooking or baking! Run a restaurant!' They all feel like mini-games to me. Mini-games without much depth. And there is no feeling of community. Sims just teleport everywhere.

TS2 and TS3 were parodies of human life; be born, grow up, participate in family things, meet friends, go to college, buy a car, get a job, go on dates, get married, raise kids, get old, become grandparents, and on and on...They were about the life span of a sim. They were life simulations that were funny because they were parodying real life.

In comparison, TS4 just feels like a parody of The Sims.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Hi guys,

I'm still reading all of the comments here. I haven't posted in a while because I'm not sure what else to add because everyone is making awesome posts. :)

I wanted to share with you guys a thread I've created that relates to this thread, about another perspective on family play in TS4, if any of you guys would like to check it out or comment on it:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893317/a-different-perspective-on-playing-the-sims-4-picture-heavy

Like I've said, it's a different perspective so hence why I have created a new thread for it.

@SimGuruDrake I'd love if you ever get the chance to also look through my thread, from someone who shares the same opinion as many players in here but from a different perspective in regards to TS4. :)
    edited July 2016
    Thank you Kim and Tangie.

Tangie - I so agree seeing it is a life simulation according to even it's creator anyway.

Kim are you also Kimabc that did the Sims 3 version of Strangetown in CAW during Sims 3 days? If you are thank you - I still play it and love it in Sims 3. I remade all the sims families for it - a bit better looking than the originals - lol - for that world and still have them in my studio in Sims 3. I do still play the Maxis version in Sims 2 of course.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

Kim are you also Kimabc that did the Sims 3 version of Strangetown in CAW during Sims 3 days? If you are thank you - I still play it and love it in Sims 3. I remade all the sims families for it - a bit better looking than the originals - lol - for that world and still have them in my studio in Sims 3. I do still play the Maxis version in Sims 2 of course.

Nope, not me. I was never proficient at caw. Most of my worlds I never posted. I downloaded and played others worlds as they were awesome!

kim
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

kimjo313 wrote: »

Nope, not me. I was never proficient at caw. Most of my worlds I never posted. I downloaded and played others worlds as they were awesome!

kim

Aw - okay just checking - as I do have a lot of fun with that world over the years. I have a good 35 User worlds I love - many of Rflongs of course. She is utterly amazing creating worlds and I find it so sad that is another thing taken away from Simmers in Sims 4.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited July 2016
    Simanite wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm still reading all of the comments here. I haven't posted in a while because I'm not sure what else to add because everyone is making awesome posts. :)

I wanted to share with you guys a thread I've created that relates to this thread, about another perspective on family play in TS4, if any of you guys would like to check it out or comment on it:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893317/a-different-perspective-on-playing-the-sims-4-picture-heavy

Like I've said, it's a different perspective so hence why I have created a new thread for it.

@SimGuruDrake I'd love if you ever get the chance to also look through my thread, from someone who shares the same opinion as many players in here but from a different perspective in regards to TS4. :)

Nice thread Simanite and I am glad you are able to get past the poof baby objects and still enjoy your game. I have honestly tried - I even have over 250 hours into the game trying to find even a little of the old joy - but always end up unhappy and empty feeling so I toss out the saves and keep starting over trying something else. It is not like I have never tried. Even did 3 or 4 of the Guru's challenges and to no avail. But always happy when a fellow simmer can find their happy place with all the Sims games - so it's good to hear.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @Simanite I'm glad you are happy :) That's why life is awesome-we all have different likes/dislikes and experiences and for me sharing them and reading about others is interesting :) you are always welcome to share here alongside all the others who do from whichever version suits best too <3
    kimjo313 wrote: »

kim

Aw - okay just checking - as I do have a lot of fun with that world over the years. I have a good 35 User worlds I love - many of Rflongs of course. She is utterly amazing creating worlds and I find it so sad that is another thing taken away from Simmers in Sims 4.

Can not tell you how many of Rflongs worlds I played and how much help she gave me. And yes it is sad that another part of what I enjoyed about the sims has been left out. Not just caw but the ability to edit neighborhoods. So sad. I too logged over 200 hours trying to find ways to "like" playing this game. All for naught. Its just way to "simple". There is no challenge. The sims are pathetically alike in there actions and reactions. The art style is not to my taste (but had this been the only issue I would deal),The limitations in build and buy drive me nuts and the over all grinding repetitive play is just not working for me.
    I pop in her on Sparkys page every now and then for a family play hit ,to see what everyone is up to and to see what is new. So far nothing has appealed and with the numerous disappointments I doubt anything ever will.

kim
    Abraham Lincoln

• Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    @Writin_Reg it's always a pleasure to read your posts. I'll give a hearty agreement on the sentiments.

I've also been with the series on and off since the start and I'll never forget the wonder of the first time I played The Sims and the whole night disappeared. As the exhausted mother of a then-toddler, staying up all night wasn't something I did for fun in those days! And then Sims 2 and I was freaking out a bit, because they were so real. Sims 3 never charmed me in quite the same way (although with a lot of mods I am loving it these days), but there was so much to do and it was a lot of fun.

And then Sims 4. I do enjoy aspects of it, I really truly do, but then there are other aspects that are so unsettling that I can't play for months after I run into them. My first family were a bunch of goofballs, they were so fun, but as soon as I rotated households they all had random romances assigned to them. The lesbians even had male romances, gah! So annoying! And the faithful couple that had raised 5 children without looking at anyone else had 2 or 3 romances each!

My next family I wanted to make some serious sims and they came out exactly the same way. Goofballs. Goofy grins, goofy walks, etc., etc.. The babies are creepy, the toddlers are missing, the sims all feel the same and act the same. The whole "poofing" phenomenon is annoying and unimmersive.

The feeling of the game being a series of mini-games and not a life-sim at all is what I am left with. I loathe the rampant townie generation, loathe it with a passion and the jolly culling that it necessitates appalls me. Immersion is impossible for me to achieve for more than a few hours here and there, the game just drives me up the wall.

That went on for longer than I had planned, whoops. I'll try and get an update on the Sokolovs later, if I make it in game today for some screens :)
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Just a heads-up for those interested in the teasers.
    @SimGuruDrake is holding a poll about how we feel about the teasers and asks for reasons behind why we voted a certain way. She wants suggestions as to how it would better appeal to people and give them the information that would satisfy them until the official announcement is made.
    You can see and vote here.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893344/quarterly-seasonal-teaser-feedback/p1
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    edited July 2016
    What a great post @Writin_Reg! I recognize myself in your post in every part. Building my own super computers to be set and ready for the new games. Starting from The sims with the awkward baby growing up to a child, choosing to play single sims just like you. Moving on to TS2 with great family play and lastly TS3 with reduced family play, but it is my favorite because of the open world.

Who could imagine that "back to the roots" would take us so far back, to the least appreciated game for us family players?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top