Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• magician1magician1 Posts: 3,098 Member
    edited November 2009
    Sherry1968 wrote:
    Hey Magician! I will take a stab at your house, but I don't have time right now to download and all that. So, just going by the pictures you've posted, here goes.

There is something about the roofline over the door that I don't like. Perhaps if you changed it to a shed roof with a lower angle just for that one part, or maybe even add 2 columns by the front door, but I know that adds to your cost. I guess I would have to play with it to see what I'm thinking, lol.

Next, I think I would move the 2 bushes out by the road into the yard, but still right up front there, and instead, put your mailbox right next to the sidewalk.

The bottom half of the wall in the bedroom, if I remember right, is there a similar pattern, but with the pattern a bit smaller and closer? I don't mean the one with just the vine, but it still has flowers. If there is, I think I would like that one better.

In the living room, I like the pattern on the LR chairs, but it looks just slightly off compared to the lower wall color.

Lastly, your sim is NAKED! (I'm not looking, lol)

Now, all that being said, I'm not always great at envisioning things without trying them out, so it may be all wrong. :D Anyway, it is very nitpicky stuff, and I think the build looks very good the way it is. It may just be a matter of personal taste. :wink:

Love your new thread here, and I will try to post something if I ever have time to build it, LOL.

EDIT: Oh, I just went to that other link you posted at the bottom! Now you're just showing off...
    (I'm just kidding, Magician! I already told you I love that one)

Hi

Thank you for looking at my Starter. I appreciate your comments and will certainly look at my future builds keeping u'r comments in mind.

He's not naked (lol) he's just got out of bed with his Boxers on. :D

Showing off: Not really, just trying to get the builders on here to give their opinion on anybody's build. See u soon again.
    edited November 2009
    BrennaW wrote:
    K:
    Slate:
    screenshot_original.jpg"width=600""height=450"

Jade:

Let me know.

Bre

I think you must go look at the following sites for ideas on your Victorian's exterior look( Paint and roof colors):

http://users.rcn.com/scndempr/dave/school.html

and

http://www.victorian-home-plans.com/

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_architecture#Examples_of_Victorian_architecture

If u still don't see anything u like iro walls and roofs, let meknow.

Good luck
  • judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited November 2009
    Also, try googling images of painted lady victorian houses! It will give you tons of photos to look at and sites to go to with more info!

Also, your room is looking good, but one suggestion- on your wall covering...go into create style and experiment with some wall paper designs rather than the rock one that's there. The wood part is probably ok, but remember that victorian decor could be a bit on the- how to say it? :D- tacky, flambouyant?! Try some flowery patterns or paisely designs and then play with the color to get it to coordinate with your furniture!
    edited November 2009
    Magician, did you get more pics of that starter cottage uploaded? I didn't see any on your page... ahhhh guess I will have to dl it and check it out! I have a good spot for it near my oldstone creamery cottage!
    edited November 2009
    Here's a Pic of my Diningroom and Kitchen for the Recurve Strand Glass house.

DRandKitchen.jpg

edited November 2009
    Magician, did you get more pics of that starter cottage uploaded? I didn't see any on your page... ahhhh guess I will have to dl it and check it out! I have a good spot for it near my oldstone creamery cottage!

No I haven't placed more pic's. I actually want u to dl'd and go thru it with a critical eye.
    edited November 2009
    Ohhhhhh!! where did you get the vase on the table from- the one with red in it?

It looks great but, I am not liking the chandelier? For some reason it doesn't quite feel like it fits with the rest of it...maybe though, it's because of the closeness of the shot?

I do have the house downloaded now!
    edited November 2009
    Ohhhhhh!! where did you get the vase on the table from- the one with red in it?

It looks great but, I am not liking the chandelier? For some reason it doesn't quite feel like it fits with the rest of it...maybe though, it's because of the closeness of the shot?

I think the vase is at the TS3 store, I'll have to look.

The chandelier I DON"T like at all. I'm looking for Modern lighs but I'm battling to find any that I like.
    edited November 2009
    My suggestion for the lights is to use those basic square hanging ones that came with the game- don't have a good pic now, but they're the more modern looking beige ones? Recolor them and try using two sets of them over the table?
    edited November 2009
    My suggestion for the lights is to use those basic square hanging ones that came with the game- don't have a good pic now, but they're the more modern looking beige ones? Recolor them and try using two sets of them over the table?

Ok I'll try them.
  • MeestorMarkMeestorMark Posts: 865 Member
    edited November 2009
    Magician, before you get rid of that chandelier.... Is it CASable to change the metal to a super white version? It might be the color that is making it out of place. Going all white with something can often make it look more acceptable in a modern build.
  • racncone123racncone123 Posts: 1,138 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Beachside Modern
    by Racncone123

I took your tour of the house. You were able on most shots to get the sims eye view, but the sim would have to have been a toddler. Your were very low to the floor which made it difficult to see some aspects of the rooms. I see the pictures were taken in build mode. Taking the pictures in "Cameraman Mode" are much more effective. I refer you to the 5th post on this forum.

The architecture is well planned. I find the colour pleasing. The floor plan is functional and playable. The indoor/outdoor pool is a great feature. I like the fence in front of the bathroom for privacy.

The landscaping in the garden is lacking terrain paint under the plants and around the trees. The grass look very manicured. Mixing the different grass terrain paints can give a more natural look. The placement of the plants and trees is good.

In the interior the furniture is sparse. There is lots of room to spread out. A cosy seating area around the fireplace would be inviting. The home needs decor, curtains or blinds and plants. The colour throughout the house could use an accent colour, textures and patterns. The glass doors seem to be popular on modern builds, however, I don't think they are appropriate for a bedroom.

Overall a very nice design. It is one of many that you have built and I've not seen any other houses you have done. You have a lot of style and I feel this one wasn't given your best. Hope to see more.

MerryWiddow

Thank you, Merry, for your honest opinion. I have learned a lot since I made this one, but having another person's opinion on what would make it better is very helpful. :D

Magician - I'm working on figuring out what the problem is with the treehouse. Oddly enough, it wouldn't let me give it a covershot, either, as everytime I'd save it to library it would dissappear. If anyone else has had this problem, let me know, since it is a first for me.. and every lot I have done since has been just fine.
  • BrennaWBrennaW Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited November 2009
    Merry as requested:

Bre
  • MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited November 2009
    BrennaW wrote:
    Ok M&M give my Victorian WIP a go:

Exterior shell is done but no landscaping:

Only interior I have done is half the master bedroom:
    Note I am changing out the "white" window casings to a more traditional wood/gold on the interior.

No stairs exiting the back porch yet either as I haven't decided how I am landscaping the backyard.

Luv Bre

Hi Bre, great to have this opportunity to comment on a WIP. I see that Magician has covered the exterior of the house. Thank you for the close up pictures. I do feel the exterior needs a little work.

I'll comment on the interior. You have a nice start there. I would suggest and little more colour. Not different, I mean adding. There is a website that is called ColourLovers. This is a wonderful place to explore and find colour combinations that work well together. I love to search for pallettes and use all five colours in a room. I did this with Modern Bridge House and Miss Marple's House. I suggest a download and a walkthrough of theses two.

I like what I see so far as furniture placement goes. The bed would look nice with a large area rug under it that matches your smaller rug.

Great start. Keep us updated.

MerryWiddow
  • MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited November 2009
    magician1 wrote:

DRandKitchen.jpg

I like the overall placement of everything. Might I suggest you try switching the kitchen cabinet colour. Take the black and put it on the bottom to match the appliances and use white on the top cabinets. Try a tile small like you have but one with 2 - 3 colours and add a little of the red. Love the decor on the table. I think you got the place settings, tea set and cabinet from SimsTrasTos. Just keep in mind documenting your cc so you can advise the downloader where to find it.
    magician1 wrote:

Ok I'll try them.

I agree with Judy about the lights. You could try placing multiple copies on top of each other. Just as you do it, turn them one rotation each time. You will get an interesting light there. This is the same method you used to place the chandelier.

MerryWiddow
    edited November 2009
    Magician, before you get rid of that chandelier.... Is it CASable to change the metal to a super white version? It might be the color that is making it out of place. Going all white with something can often make it look more acceptable in a modern build.

TY

I'll CAS it to white and see then.

Thank you again
    edited November 2009
    magician1 wrote:

DRandKitchen.jpg

I like the overall placement of everything. Might I suggest you try switching the kitchen cabinet colour. Take the black and put it on the bottom to match the appliances and use white on the top cabinets. Try a tile small like you have but one with 2 - 3 colours and add a little of the red. Love the decor on the table. I think you got the place settings, tea set and cabinet from SimsTrasTos. Just keep in mind documenting your cc so you can advise the downloader where to find it.
    magician1 wrote:

Ok I'll try them.

I agree with Judy about the lights. You could try placing multiple copies on top of each other. Just as you do it, turn them one rotation each time. You will get an interesting light there. This is the same method you used to place the chandelier.

MerryWiddow

I'll play around with your suggestions and see what I like most and post again.

Ty all for the comments

edited November 2009
    Thanks Magician, going back into the house I notice everything you talked about. I've just started my new tudor, and I'm definitely trying to take all of this into account (especially overwhelming patterns, haha, I notice I ahve that in a lot of my older builds).

Thanks so much again! It's nice to hear some well thought out constructive criticism, and being a beginner, that's what's best to improve your builds!

Sunny

Hi

Glad I could help.

Thank You
  • SunsetValley01SunsetValley01 Posts: 1,193 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Alrighty, I've finished my second tudor, the Garden Tudor. I took alot of what you said (hopefully you notice).

Give me some feedback if you can! I'd like a few more dl's/rec's on this one.

Screenshot-11.jpg"height=450""width=600"

Screenshot-12.jpg"height=450""width=600"

Screenshot-13.jpg"height=450""width=600"

Screenshot-14.jpg"height=450""width=600"

Screenshot-19.jpg"height=450""width=600"

Screenshot-16.jpg"height=450""width=600"
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Sherry1968Sherry1968 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Hey guys, I have a question for you. Does anyone have an idea why the picture in my signature has suddenly, magically disappeared?
    edited November 2009
    Sometimes it happens when your bandwidth is exceeded. Try resizing it.
    edited November 2009
    By exceeding my bandwith, you mean on the image hosting site? Because it says I have 21% capacity. :shock:

It is sized at 100x500, should I also put this in my signature box? I am really a computer idiot, lol, but I am learning.
    edited November 2009
    Yes, what image hosting site are you using? This may not be the problem either, it was just what happened to me a few weeks ago. I went into Photobucket, clicked resize, then everything was all better.
  • Jasnik82Jasnik82 Posts: 917 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Hi Magician,

I have spent a bit of time in your cozy cottage and have drawn the following conclusion:

Seeing as it is a starter you have done really well, I like the whole look from the outside and the gardens complement the cozy feel of the place, so I wouldnt touch that at all. Perhaps a pillar round the back to support the corner. The first thing that did catch my attention was the size of the windows, while they dont look totally out of place I probably would have gone with two of the $75 windows with a saving of $20 for each big window swapped out ($120 total). Also perhaps make the outer frames a little darker to tie in with the door.

When I stepped inside, the first thing that stood out was the large empty wall space to the right. I would suggest removing one of the plants and moving the bedroom door one space to the right and put the remaining plant in between the two doors. This breaks up the wall a little and saves $45 on the plant.

I agree with an earlier comment that the pattern on the lower half of the wall in the bedroom would look better in a smaller pattern. Also it would look better if the wood inlay of the interior doors was one colour.

I noticed that in the bathroom you used a very expensive tile considering its a starter. I would suggest using roof tile for free and saving $160. Alternatively you could just go with a cheaper tile and CAS. You could also save money by replacing the rug under the dining table by CASing the carpet squares you already have to match your original rug pattern saving $100, and the same in the bedroom saves $100 also. Total savings $525.

Totally up to you what you do with your savings but here is what I would do. Get rid of the TV for another $500, everyone needs something to save up for. Put up 6 sets of curtains in the living and dining room, this really ups the cozy cottage feel. Add a small pillar on the corner out back as it looks unsupported, or add a plant or lamp to the bedroom.

As I said, I really like this lot, it would be a lovely starter home for my sims. And my suggestions are just that, do with them what you will.

I would love to share my WIP but it is for a challenge so perhaps next time.

Jasnik :)
    edited November 2009
    Yes, what image hosting site are you using? This may not be the problem either, it was just what happened to me a few weeks ago. I went into Photobucket, clicked resize, then everything was all better.

Yes, I am using Photobucket, too. I tried clicking on resize, and it was still at 100x500, so I closed it and it's still no go. I will try it again and maybe reenter the numbers and the image location and see if that helps. Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top