Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Saying Goodbye to Sims 3

2...Next

Comments

• columbia93columbia93 Posts: 319 Member
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I had things starting to take a while to load and decided to move files to an external hard drive to clear up space on my internal hard drive.You should invest in a good external hard drive and tranfer extra files over to that one if your computer's hard drive is getting too full because that can really slow the computer down.

I have an external that I use for storing as well. I record a lot of TV shows and sometimes don't get around to burning them right away so the HD gets full. Like you I think it causes a bit of trouble, although I've never had 1-2 hour load times for S3. (S2 would get close to that 1 hour time!)

I'd bet, thought, that the OP has something in the S3 folder that isn't happy or playing nice. It's an awful pain in the derriere to micro-manage your S3 downloads but, in the long run, it's worth it.
  • ANNAPTXANNAPTX Posts: 3,742 Member
    I would imagine that cleaning out the game cache files might help a little, if the OP is not in the habit of doing so..those files can get ginormous.
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    ANNAPTX wrote: »
    I would imagine that cleaning out the game cache files might help a little, if the OP is not in the habit of doing so..those files can get ginormous.

I used to have to do that all the time on my old computer. Those files would grow and bloat and if I let them, they'd crash my game. Very often I would have to restart the game several times in a single play session, all the while monitoring those caches. It was a pain.
    For some reason, on this computer, they don't grow at all. With exception of the social cache if I go online, which I don't. They all stay at 1KB. I'm not techy so I don't know why this is, but it is much appreciated.
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I always delete those cache files. I did it on the house PC, I did it on my previous laptop and I do it now. If I forget it, I automatically close and restart the game. It's routine for me.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2016

I used to have to do that all the time on my old computer. Those files would grow and bloat and if I let them, they'd crash my game. Very often I would have to restart the game several times in a single play session, all the while monitoring those caches. It was a pain.
    For some reason, on this computer, they don't grow at all. With exception of the social cache if I go online, which I don't. They all stay at 1KB. I'm not techy so I don't know why this is, but it is much appreciated.

That's not a function of the computer, it's that different worlds work with these caches differently by design. When the caches never grow beyond 1 KB, it means they are acting as pointers to wherever the real caching is. But it's been impossible (as far as I know) to dissect them and figure out where the "real" cached data is when this happens.

I regularly delete them regardless of their size. Failing to do so whenever the contents of Mods/Packages changes in particular can be just as problem causing even when they are all the 1 KB kind.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    igazor wrote: »

That's not a function of the computer, it's that different worlds work with these caches differently by design. When the caches never grow beyond 1 KB, it means they are acting as pointers to wherever the real caching is. But it's been impossible (as far as I know) to dissect them and figure out where the "real" cached data is when this happens.

I regularly delete them regardless of their size. Failing to do so whenever the contents of Mods/Packages changes in particular can be just as problem causing even when they are all the 1 KB kind.

Ohhhh, is it because I am using my own world then? If they're just pointers to where the caching is, does deleting them delete the actual caches then or just the pointers to those caches?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    Ohhhh, is it because I am using my own world then? If they're just pointers to where the caching is, does deleting them delete the actual caches then or just the pointers to those caches?
    Yes, but even the EA worlds cache differently from each other. My Riverview game also does the 1K thing.

The second question and thought that there might be tons of very old cache data left unused and orphaned after the 1K caches are cleared were what led some of us to try to find a path to where it might be. That proved unsuccessful, all we ever get when trying to analyze (if you can call it that) cache files and pointers are screens full of gibberish. But those of us who have been playing these worlds for years haven't had our hard drives mysteriously fill up with unreachable garbage, so we have to take at least some comfort in that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net