Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 7 players who can't get Sims 1 to play again...solution!

Comments

• LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    @Taylor21167
    After you uninstalled the Windows Update KB3086255, did you check for Windows Updates and hide this update?
    If you didn't it, it may have re-installed again and need to be removed.
    Are you also running as administrator?
  • xShinraKisaragixShinraKisaragi Posts: 9 New Member
    Hey guys, i still got a problem, did everything you said and now i can atleast see the logos and the first intro, but one second after it it already crashes (where usually that loading screen is)

I use windows 7.. .-.
  • kyomilinhkyomilinh Posts: 1 New Member
    hellojewby wrote: »
    copy/paste from my answer to this question, so i thought i'd make a thread.

yesterday on a whim, i wanted to play sims 1 again. it'd been a few months. well, i could not get it to run at ALL. not with my regular "run as admin" or anything. i still right clicked my sims.exe icon, went to properties, compatibility, check box "run program in compatibility mode" and choose windows xp service pack 3. also click box "run as administrator". now that thats done, i expected it to work once again. nope. google search after google search, i finally found the problem.
    a windows update on september 9th has apparently screwed up many people sims 1 game, making it not play. trick is to remove it.
    remove update KB3086255 and it should work.
    control panel, windows update, view update history, click installed updates at the top of tab. there you should be able to remove update KB3086255. this is the only way to play it to my knowledge.

MANY thanks to beatlesblondie over at the Mod The Sims forums for the tip. you saved my sanity!!!

I can't play Sims 1 again. It appear notice error update: ''It has come to our attention that you have installed another Sims epansion pack after The Sims Makin Magic. For this to work properly, The sims makin magic installer will now update your installation. It nơt working''
    @kyomilinh
    Have you installed the expansion packs in the correct order?
    The Sims is very specific about this - The Sims, House Party, Hot Date, Vacation, Pets, Superstar and Makin' Magic.
    @xShinraKisaragi
    Have you turned off all other background programmes especially anti-virus and the internet?
    Have you definitely removed and hidden this window update and running the programme as administrator?
    @LadysimPlayer8
    Yes, i turned everything off, from steam, to the internetbrowsers, also my antiviruses where all disabled when i tried to start the sims.
    Yes, also i hid the update, uninstalled it, started as admin in every compatibility mode..

May there be an specific installal ordner for the Sims superdeluxe?

i did it this way:

Sims Disc 1, then dics 2, then i had to finish install with disc one, then i installed house party, and then i installed that asian/africa item CD.

Was that okay, was it wrong? i want to play that wonderful masterpiece again, please help me D:
    @xShinraKisaragi
    After installing House Party, you then use the Sims disc 1 (followed when instructed disc 2 then back to disc 1) to update and play the game.
    @LadysimPlayer8
    So i start w/ installing House Party, and then Disc 1 -> 2 -> 1 ?
    @xShinraKisaragi
    Please install the Sims base game - 1 then 2 then 1. After this is installed, install House Party and use disc 1 of the base game to play the game. When you do this, the message "It has come to our attention..." will be shown and will update your game. It will ask you to insert disc 2 then disc 1 again. Good luck! :)
    @LadysimPlayer8
    Thanks for the info, but when do i have to install disc 4 (with the asian and african themed items)?
    @xShinraKisaragi
    I have The Sims Triple Deluxe which consists of the base game, House Party and Vacation.
    There is also a bonus disk which contains an update for the game and some bonus items.
    I also have the Hot Date expansion which was released between House Party and Vacation.
    For me to install, I install the base game (disk 1, 2 then 1 again) followed by House Party, Hot Date, Vacation then using the base game (disk 1, 2 then 1) as "it has come to our attention etc...."
    After this installation, I then install the bonus disk for the update and to add the bonus items and use the Sims base game disk 1 to play.
    I have Asian and African content in my game - the Mashugo lot - but I don't know which one of those expansion it comes with.
    What Sims version do you have - Double Deluxe, Triple Deluxe or some other?
    Please advise me what are the names written on the four disks (in whatever language).
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited June 2016
    The likely hood of the Sims original working well on Windows NT is like asking a polar bear to switch places with a grizzly bear certain death to both them. Anyway if you have the CD or DVD version it won't work as the installation mode uses the 3.1 kernel or core which is not in Windows Xp, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 are based on Windows NT 4.0 You may want to try the digit version of those games, because the origin installion goes around the installation file.

Edit: Please note the sims original was created before the ntfs systems so you have to give it Administrative privileges to work.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
    @LadysimPlayer8
    I have the super deluxe editon, CD Version.
    @Sid1701D9
    So.. the Discs won't work?
    Where can i get this game digitally?
    Do you mean, i have to get a cracked version of this game?
    Or is there any legit place to get it digitally?
    Try putting the code on Origin Games in where it says redeem, the origin installer bypasses the broken one that looks for liberies in the wrong place.

@xShinraKisaragi
    The Sims Deluxe, Triple Deluxe and I am going to assume the Super Deluxe were made when Windows XP was available.
    The CD version does work - that is what I have and play on Windows 7 in administrative mode.
    I have tried browsing the internet to find out what expansion packs the Sims Super Deluxe consists of but have only managed to find images which are identical to the base game.
    What is written on the four disks that you have?
    edited June 2016
    The Sims delux is the same as the digit delux in the sims 4, its just The Sims game with a free stuff pack that came with it. Platform Windows 95/98/ME even though it is not listed ME was just the failed attempt of converting a old kernel into windows 2000 home, without the NT kernel, Windows XP used the NT kernel.
    The Sims triple Delux looks like it consisted of living large and vacation. The Sims super delux came with all the expansion packs. You also got to remember that living large and life of the party was the only stuff pack of that series, that came out before the NT transition and was really never considered expansion packs.

• WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    @Sid1707D9 and @LadysimPlayer8 The Sims was originally designed for Windows 95 and Windows 98 which did not have a Computer Administrator and Limited account like Windows 2000 and Windows XP had at the time. Programs designed for Windows 9x require the Administrator account to work unless if the program was also designed for Windows 2000 or later. If The Sims is attempted to be ran on Windows XP without being signed with an Administrator account, you get the Access Denied dialog telling you to sign in as an Administrator. Keep in mind that The Sims was released before Windows 2000 got released and it didn't even support Windows NT 4.0.

The Sims 2 and later games fixed this since the game was designed for Windows XP (which uses the NT kernel) so it knows about the Limited/Standard user account. However, an Administrator account is still required to install/uninstall the game or to update the game.

The reason why Windows Vista-Windows 8.1 won't run The Sims is that the game uses SafeDisc which Microsoft disabled through an update. Keep in mind that this update can also affect other games using SafeDisc such as SimCity 4 and Syberia. The games that used SafeDisc aren't affected if the games were downloaded from Steam or GOG.com but The Sims doesn't have an official download version. In addition, Windows 10 doesn't have the driver so SafeDisc games will not work.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
    @Sid1701D9
    thank you, will try that one!

@LadysimPlayer8
    I got 4 discs:

the sims deluxe edition 1 and 2
    the sims house party
    the sims super deluxe (bonus-inhalt) which means bonus content in english

• thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    Is there any place online to download TS1? I am running a Surface Pro 3 and it does not have a disk drive, therefore I cannot install it via CDs/DVDs.
  • hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
    Is there any place online to download TS1? I am running a Surface Pro 3 and it does not have a disk drive, therefore I cannot install it via CDs/DVDs.

i don't know of any paid or not paid. but i always see sims 1 and 2 for sale at goodwill/thrift stores/resale shops. and usually only like 3-5 bucks a pop. but be sure to make sure it has the code. lol
    let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    @thesimmer14 and @hellojewby Only The Sims has been released on CD-ROMs, there hasn't been an official download version. This causes some issues:
    • Windows 10 will not run the game due to SafeDisc. In addition, an update for Windows Vista-Windows 8.1 also causes the game not to run. This can also affect other games that use SafeDisc such as Syberia and SimCity 4.
    • The Sims requires the CD to be in the drive to start the game so even if you installed the game using a USB DVD or Blu-ray drive, you can't run the game without connecting the USB optical drive and inserting the disc or by using a modified Sims.exe file to bypass the CD requirement. However, Windows 10 won't run the game at all so you'll have to use a modified Sims.exe file to play on Windows 10.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • bubblebab101bubblebab101 Posts: 1 New Member
    So can't seem to find that update in my computer but. But I get he same messages saying "administrative loving." Please help!!
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member

Sorry, no legal place that I know of...yet. I do hope they someday add TS1 Complete Collection to Origin. What they sell in thrift stores are the games that came on CDs/DVDs.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • crzy_gal_101crzy_gal_101 Posts: 1,856 Member
    This post from another thread may help run the game with the update installed (this works with windows 10)
    Installing the mod that bypasses the disc and running the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 fixed the problem for me. A modified Sims.exe to do this can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByvqSle1TbhCSGJETG1Ha3lEUUE/view?usp=sharing

I have uploaded it to Google Drive, as the website I found it on was a bit sketchy. I scanned it with my anitvirus and it came up normal... Google Drive also scans anything you upload with it's antivirus, but regardless use at your own risk. Please note that this is not a link to a pirated version of the game, just a fixed Sims.exe that will allow the game to launch on Windows 10. I own the game and installed it on my computer via the installation disks. Obviously you will have to own the game too for this to work.

Instructions on getting it working:

1.) Make sure you already have the game installed on your computer.

2.) Go to :C > Program Files (x86) > Maxis > Sims. Rename the Sims.exe to sims.old. Make sure you keep this file in case the new one doesn't work.

3.) Download the file and move the new Sims.exe to the same folder (:C > Program Files (x86) > Maxis > Sims).

4.) Launch, run the game in compatibility mode if necessary.

5.) If it works, enjoy. If not, remove the new Sims.exe and change the old one to it's original name.

Good luck.

Hopefully this helps anyone who's spent hours searching the internet trying to find a solution to this issue.

Official Katy Perry Sim: http://goo.gl/Vxo3Be
  • urkadurkaurkadurka Posts: 1 New Member
    I installed The Sims Deluxe Edition and the Vacation, Unleashed, and Makin Magic expansion packs on my laptop two nights ago. I received the error message about running it as an Administrator, so I uninstalled the Windows Update from the first post in the thread and everything worked fine. I was able to play and make Sims and a house and such. I needed to check something on the internet, so I hit the Windows key to bring up my desktop. After that I couldn't really click on anything, not even the start button, unless I brought the task manager up. I went back into the Sims and everything still worked fine.

Last night I started up The Sims again and received an error message that @kyomilinh posted in this thread: ''It has come to our attention that you have installed another Sims expansion pack after The Sims Makin Magic. For this to work properly, The Sims Makin Magic installer will now update your installation." I clicked OK and then it asked me if I wanted to uninstall. Assuming that it was only going to uninstall Makin Magic, I clicked OK, but it uninstalled all of the original Sims games.

I tried reinstalling only Deluxe Edition today, but when I run the game it crashes at the loading screen, as described by @Myabear . The game crashes, brings me back to my desktop, and says "The Sims Deluxe Edition has stopped working."

I installed any Windows Updates that needed to be installed, which reinstalled the security update that makes the game not work, so I uninstalled it, restarted, and hid it as recommended from this thread. I have tried running the game in multiple different compatibility modes, have tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times, opened cmd and tried the command prompts for the security driver, etc. Nothing. Works. Any ideas? I'm so frustrated because everything worked before so I know that theoretically it should be working, but it's not.