Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If I buy from the Steam Sale

If I buy expansion paks from the summer sale on Steam, how do I add them to my Origin account? And will I get the codes to register them?

Comments

• dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    You have to have the base game on steam first, if you don't. You don't have to (and shouldn't) install it, but you have to own it for it to allow you to get the codes on the EP's. Then you can just find the EP's in your steam library and go to "CD key". Then you need to take it to your thesims3.com account and register the codes there (hover over my page>my account> click register a game). And then you can open origin and install them there.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Showtime plus the base game is a good deal if you don't have the base game yet.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • AriesVePirasAriesVePiras Posts: 104 Member

Dang, I've had the base game for years, but on disc. Oh well, its on sale too, so maybe I'll just buy it and one expansion pak. Too bad I can't tell Steam I already have it. Hmmm, lets see if I can. No biggee if I can't at their prices right now its still worth it.
  • marstinsonmarstinson Posts: 367 Member
    My advice on the Steam forums to someone in a similar situation: the base game is on sale for $5, as are each of the EPs and SPs. Showtime seems to be the exception in the US, but the game plus Showtime is $7.50; other regions maybe not. So if you're picking up four EPs or SPs, then think of it as picking them up for about 70% off rather than 75% off and don't count the base game. Still better than most sales on Origin.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    You can register the CD keys on Origin too. Launch Origin, click on the Origin menu, then Redeem Product Code.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Dang, I've had the base game for years, but on disc. Oh well, its on sale too, so maybe I'll just buy it and one expansion pak. Too bad I can't tell Steam I already have it. Hmmm, lets see if I can. No biggee if I can't at their prices right now its still worth it.

Same XD Though I have it registered on Origin. I bought it anyways, I bought the BG plus Showtime bundle which ends up being cheaper than the Showtime EP itself XD plus Island Paradise, Seasons and Diesel Stuff.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

I went ahead and bought the base game, and World Adventures. Thinking of getting Seasons as well. I have several other EPs, and Seasons would go well with all of them I think.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    If you buy games on Steam, you still have to install them through Origin? So does that mean you get the 1.69 patch?
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    If you buy them on Steam, you can play them on Steam, but only games and packs you have bought thru Steam can be played that way.

If you buy them on Steam, then register and download them thru Origin to add to your previously installed game, then yes, you will get the 1.69 patch. Anything downloaded thru Origin will give you the 1.69 patch.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • AntiSocialSim72AntiSocialSim72 Posts: 186 Member
    Seems like you got good answers, just had to post to say @AriesVePiras I love your avatar!! Dawn is my favorite comic ever. <3 Linsner!
    Seems like you got good answers, just had to post to say @AriesVePiras I love your avatar!! Dawn is my favorite comic ever. <3 Linsner!

Me too! I have used his art of Dawn for years for various avatars, and even as the image of a roleplaying character that I still play to this day. I don't care what anyone says, his work is high art, all on its own.

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    If you buy games on Steam, you still have to install them through Origin? So does that mean you get the 1.69 patch?

You cant mix steam and origin. If you already have some of origin installed on your computer , you can buy on steam and register the codes to origin and download those through origin. Yes if you download through origin you will get the 1.69 patch.

If you buy the whole game on steam, you have to uninstall origin versions of the game, reinstall the steam versions and stay at the 1.67 patch