Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Natural pools

Comments

• Options
    cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    DeadFishy wrote: »
    Well it's gorgeous. Do the rocks around the trim prevent sims from getting in to swim?

Yes, so you have to leave it open for them to get in. I've covered that in the tutorial I linked in my previous post.

place the rocks in an room next to the pool and raise them. that way they will be routable
    ccBcpyk.jpg
  • Options
    Nicwebb82Nicwebb82 Posts: 447 Member
    I wish we could make bridges that go over the ponds and water runs under
  • Options
    YoshiSimsYoshiSims Posts: 209 Member
    This is what my natural pools tend to look like (base game only):
    tumblr_o80c9oUtsQ1v8k7elo2_1280.jpg
    It's this lot on the Gallery. I've also written a tutorial on Natural Water - just a few images from it:
    tumblr_inline_o8efqyK7am1u21s2l_1280.jpg
    tumblr_inline_o8efst00eR1u21s2l_1280.jpg
    tumblr_inline_o8eh740fLx1u21s2l_1280.jpg
    tumblr_inline_o8ejn1nYxU1u21s2l_1280.jpg
    tumblr_inline_o8ekxjRB0k1u21s2l_1280.jpg

You did that!
    Sims 3 Store Wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=SharnyaY
    Mod The Sims: Yoshiiteza
    Orign: Yoshi-iteza
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Replying to see if this post jumps back up to page 1 from page 2 to see if there is a forum bug.
  • Options
    DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,762 Member
    So I was finally able to take some pictures of the natural pool I made at the back of a french country home I built. the edges were tricky and couldn't make them look as natural as you were all able to as I didn't want to use the rocks. It didn't seem to fit as I wanted this to look like a murky lake.

27502590163_c8792929f4_b.jpg

27502587393_835a94ba9d_b.jpg

27502584743_4fb547beee_b.jpg

27503115654_f43023acd1_b.jpg

Here is the front of the house if you're interested.

27503124974_570e77509a_b.jpg

Inside the front door

28117713915_546e462743_b.jpg

28117711345_f2c00a4543_b.jpg

28117707875_7c815492b0_b.jpg

28117704655_2432cbcf5e_b.jpg

27503116694_010da0c296_b.jpg
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member

@DeadFishy Nice, your set-up is really great and the house charming. Maybe you could change the color of the rim, if the pool tool has a color you like. Since you want it murky, put in dark wood or concrete walls and flooring on pool. Use the terrain paint tool to muddy up the surrounding and soften the look so it doesn't look so perfect (not a commentary, just explanation) I was watching a you tube on someone making a houseboat on a lake on 64x64 lot. He used fountain instead of pool because he didn't like the stark walls but you can't swim in fountain,

iNpGVDh.png

as you see, you don't notice my walls or floor

oGZ9T2z.png
    this is what it looks like thru the basement windows. From outside it is murky, the walls and floor are not visible.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • Options
    Oooh, such a good idea putting rocks down there!! I forgot bubbles and steam!!

I saw that video!! @Nectere sent it to me. I really wanted to use a pool because I wanted them to swim in it.

I didn't know you could change the edges??? How do I do that? I will add mud to the edges, thats a great idea.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It thoroughly disappoints me that you can have round decks, but not round pools or round fountains. Rocks are obscenely expensive and they NEED MOO to look natural.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Loanet wrote: »
    It thoroughly disappoints me that you can have round decks, but not round pools or round fountains. Rocks are obscenely expensive and they NEED MOO to look natural.

hen you say rocks are obscenely expensive.. what does that mean? Am I the only person who cheats to build homes? This has never been an issue for me but this home was for two senior sims established in their careers so I assume the have more than $20G of cash at their disposal.

I agree about round foundations. I was really disappointed in that. I am equally disappointed with round pools. Feels like a no brainer.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited July 2016
    Well the rocks are kinda expensive for rocks, especially if you are one of those that like to cover your 64 lot in a "natural" pool.

No you arent the only person who gives their sims stuff for free, but some do adhere to playing the game straight out of the box.

To line your pool you would choose the edge trims, they are available for both pools and fountains. Its worth noting that pool trims can be used on fountains but fountain trims cannot be used on pools. Pick the dark brown rocky pool trim and then choose a terrain paint that matches to further soften the edge, extra stuff (rocks plants ferns grass etc) can be added using move objects cheat, hold the alt button to place the objects freely - hold the shift and the alt button to both place freely and duplicate. Add a variety of sizes using the ctrl and ] keys to size up.

ETA also your place looks awesome :)
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I mean that there are five kinds of rock, and they range from S60 to S450
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    @DeadFishy did Nectere answer your question about how to change pool trim?
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • Options
    @DeadFishy did Nectere answer your question about how to change pool trim?

Yes, thanks! You guys are awesome.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member

hen you say rocks are obscenely expensive.. what does that mean? Am I the only person who cheats to build homes? This has never been an issue for me but this home was for two senior sims established in their careers so I assume the have more than $20G of cash at their disposal.

I agree about round foundations. I was really disappointed in that. I am equally disappointed with round pools. Feels like a no brainer.

For some reason I think the reason we don't have curved pools is because they've made the edges count as walls this time around, rather than the paper-thin edges in TS3. If we get curved pools, I think they'll have to figure out curved walls first.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options

For some reason I think the reason we don't have curved pools is because they've made the edges count as walls this time around, rather than the paper-thin edges in TS3. If we get curved pools, I think they'll have to figure out curved walls first.

That makes sense considering they made such a big deal about why they didn't include pools in the base that they would take the straightest path possible to get them out fast.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    tayloremxxtayloremxx Posts: 543 Member
    This made me rethink all of my pool builds.... lol :|
  • Options
    abelhinha35abelhinha35 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Just love all the natural pools. Just one question @crysk, in your demonstration video you have sims fishing in the pool and there are fish in the pool too. It that possible. :)
  • Options
    Just love all the natural pools. Just one question @crysk, in your demonstration video you have sims fishing in the pool and there are fish in the pool too. It that possible. :)

You can use the fishing signs or the ponds from bb.showhiddenobjects to make fishable fish appear where ever you want - sims will obviously need a clear path to the sign or pond to stand and fish. I'd suggest using the ones that dont say debug. ymmv
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    Nectere wrote: »

You can use the fishing signs or the ponds from bb.showhiddenobjects to make fishable fish appear where ever you want - sims will obviously need a clear path to the sign or pond to stand and fish. I'd suggest using the ones that dont say debug. ymmv

Oh Awesome!! I'll have to add this to my pond pool. Will fish actually show up in there?
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Oh Awesome!! I'll have to add this to my pond pool. Will fish actually show up in there?

yes, in fact they will show up jumping out of the ground if your pool or pond or fountain or w/e you put it isnt big enough, or missing. :smile:

w3R0d2N.png
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    One time I put it at a pond and there was a house behind the pond. I put the cign the wrong way or something and the guy was casting into the house and catching fish...I thought it funny but I did delete the fishing.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • Options
    cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member

yes, in fact they will show up jumping out of the ground if your pool or pond or fountain or w/e you put it isnt big enough, or missing. :smile:

w3R0d2N.png

In a pool you will actually be able to see them swim around as well
    ccBcpyk.jpg
  • Options
    I love this!!!!
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member

I did not know this! That is so awesome!!! Thank you for sharing this. Omg, I'm so excited to put fish in my murky pools!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    abelhinha35abelhinha35 Posts: 2,304 Member

I didn't know this either. TYVM :)