Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much custom content do you have?

I've always been a heavy user of custom content and know a ton of other simmers are as well. I wanted to start a discussion to see how large your guys' mods folders are, and how much they compare for each game. In sims 3, highest I think I managed was 2 gb, but somewhere past that it stopped working (might've been to do with mod conflicts instead of size since I was super unorganized). I recently checked the size of my mods folder in sims 4 and found out its at 12gb! I thought that was insane. Literally doesn't even affect my game as much as I would have expected. When I first load up the game it only takes about 4-5 minutes. With sims 3 it took me a solid 30 mins AT LEAST to load it up with 2 gb of custom content. Then an extra 30 (again, don't really remember exactly but I know I timed it at one point) to load up a world. Gameplay was a little laggy too if I remember correctly. With sims 4 I don't even notice anything though... Only lag I experience occurs when I have multiple things running on my laptop and I've been playing for over an hour. Honestly props to the sims 4 team for managing to make the game handle custom content so well. I don't know what I would do without it all...

So how large are your mods folders?

(tip: if you right click your mods folder and go to properties, it'll tell you the exact size)

Comments

• PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    edited April 2016
    I have around 360 files in my mods folder, though a lot of it is overrides I've done myself (like bed values), hair recolors that each have a separate file, clothes, or parts of something larger (like the MC Command Center modules)

Altogether it's 1.51 GB :p
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • MistyLakeMistyLake Posts: 1,700 Member
    I use 3 mods.
    "By Grabthar's Hammer! Let There Be Sims!"
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    No cc, no mods. Ever!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    edited April 2016
    117 MB. 130 files. One mod, MC, and the rest is mostly decorative cc for my retail shops. Just went cc shopping at All About Style so that number will increase a bit once I add those files.

ETA: With sims 3 I only have about 5MB. And in my Sims 2 game I have about 4GB.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Mods = 30.44GB
    • Buy Mode Items: 268 items
    • Construction and Material textures (Build mode): 40 items
    • CAS Content: 166 items
    • Mods: 24 items
    • Pose Pack: 13 items

total: 511 items in mods folder
    and counting I just downloaded a few more CC to be added
    so 532

then again there's the Autumn and Winter Mod that is in a folder on my desktop.

so I may have 600+
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

On old computer I had over 4K CC/Mod files. This was over a year ago, so dunno what it would be by now :p
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    My mods folder for TS4 is 101 MB, and it's basically just a bunch of CC hair for guys (mostly gender conversions of female styles), a few wall and floor textures, a set of recolors for the Snowboll lamp I did, and some custom T-shirts. Compared to all of the custom skin textures, eye colors, hair, and clothes that I either made or downloaded for TS2, it's actually a modest bit of content...but my TS2 downloads folder is still only 23 MB, despite having a lot more stuff in it. :blush:
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • dafadollydafadolly Posts: 1,215 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    Mods = 30.44GB

so 532

so I may have 600+

Woah! I'm wondering how you've got it up to 30 GB with only 511 items! I have 5000+ in just my build mode folder and my mods folder is only a third of the size of yours
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    4.5 and I don't think i can get it much lower, though I try. It's about 80% furniture too.

Glad to hear the game works fine with over 12, it's very reassuring to know, so thank you for sharing!
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
    dafadolly wrote: »
    Mods = 30.44GB

so 532

so I may have 600+

Woah! I'm wondering how you've got it up to 30 GB with only 511 items! I have 5000+ in just my build mode folder and my mods folder is only a third of the size of yours

I'm not sure, it doesn't make sense to me either but thats what it says on the info bar. lol
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• dafadollydafadolly Posts: 1,215 Member
    dafadolly wrote: »
    Mods = 30.44GB

so 532

so I may have 600+

I'm not sure, it doesn't make sense to me either but thats what it says on the info bar. lol

That's crazy, but also awesome that the game can handle 30 GB of CC. Gives me hope for my inevitable future of adding endless amounts of cc into my worlds :)
    edited April 2016
    Omg I'm a fool, the way its set up, memory available and memory taken isn't spaced out.
    so i was reading memory available as memory taken xD
    so I have 691.6 MB taken and 30.44GB available.

-__-
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I've got 1.55 GB. I'm pretty content with this amount. I'm trying to keep it below 2 GB, but it's good to know that the game can handle a lot more. It's quite reassuring because I do love CC shopping.
  • JinsiJinsi Posts: 40 Member
    15 to 20 mods lost count after 10
    Party time now and always
    04-17-16_12-21-49nbspAM_zpsjmsysdgz.png
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Trying like the devil to keep below 1 GB, but man it is very difficult. I love hunting for good cc, all my mods come from MTS but cc I'll go anywhere. :*

Good to know the game still runs good on so much cc/mods...that's all I needed to know. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • VioletRedVioletRed Posts: 261 Member
    I LOOOVVVVEEE CC. I've got 3.66gb of stuff in my mods folder, its 3 mods and the rest are cc. I REALLY REALLY LOOOOVVVEEEEE CC...did I mention I love cc?? :wink:
    Origin ID: Xieria
  • simming_in_silencesimming_in_silence Posts: 133 Member
    I've recently cleared out my mods folder so I'm back at 151 items, I think they're almost all CAS stuff.
  • ErasimusErasimus Posts: 64 Member
    Just checked and I have 5,533 files totaling 9.88 GB. I takes 4-5 minutes to load from double-click to load games screen. My games pauses every 5 minutes or so but I play with Ultra graphic settings at 2560x1440 resolution. I merged most of my build items using S4Studio but I think I will trim out more.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    No mods, no CC
  • jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    1,76GB, 1072 files and 231 folders. I use mostly "maxis match" items, clothing and hair and mods and some fixes for game objects.
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • poisonedcheekspoisonedcheeks Posts: 34 Member
    5.67 GB, 3,566 Files.

I really have to cleanup soon...
    Official Tumblr
    [url="http ://sims4bluebutterfly.tumblr.com"]Sims 4 Story - Blue Butterfly[/url]
  • Ksimmer1217Ksimmer1217 Posts: 19 Member
    I only have 99 items in my mods folder, I only add a few things every few months.
  • NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    I had 178mb until the 6/2 patch, I updated what was avail but when DO came out right after I removed everything and now I spend my time rebuilding all the places that had custom arches, doors, windows and clutter everywhere. Maybe when the new game features are tuned I will add some back in but bad things were happening and when I took everything out it stopped, mostly...kinda.

I know what the issues are with the content vs my game, but if I cant have what I want, I dont want anything at all.
    For my game it was simple cas mods: a set of hair tattoos, one default female skin set, and a maid outfit somehow caused many townies to have clown hair and cry a lot. Additionally a bunch of hotdog people started running around with gangs of clowns (I counted 8 in one area) and this is after the last less clowns patch - it was if the townies started turning into cosplayers or crazies with any CAS CC at all. I had already checked to make sure everything was updated, it still didnt work for me.
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    124MB, 128 files. I have three mods, which take 3MB, the rest is CC.
  • LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    I see a lot of awesome creations using CC and mods but I'm afraid to install anything. I'm scared they'll break my game :open_mouth: