Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does my Sim mourn so often?

I have one Sim who mourns frequently - and since the household has several ancestors this is a problem. I've moved the urns for all the ancestors except the most recent one to the household inventory. He still mourns frequently. His aspiration is computer whiz, job track spy-lead detective. He is self-assured, good and outgoing.

Any ideas on why he mourns so much?

Comments

• plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    Maybe they owed him money?
  • simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
    Good one - but no. It is his mother and he is mourning her several times a day. He mourned others until I put their urns in house inventory. My only solution is to put her urn away also - just wondering if there is anything else.
  • ScalesofGreyScalesofGrey Posts: 183 Member
    Sims with the 'Good' traits will mourn for people, even those they have never met in life.
  • plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    I only realised yesterday that TS4 has a trackable loan system.

I thought I was getting free money from Bella Goth, but the game knows that I borrowed the money from her. It makes me wonder if she would mourn my Sim if my Sim snuffs it.
  • MarleyTheWizardMarleyTheWizard Posts: 962 Member
    keep him busy?
    That's I dealt with having 2 urns in the living room
    I Sometimes Tweet About The Sims 4
    Gallery ID: MarleyTheWizard
    Sims with the 'Good' traits will mourn for people, even those they have never met in life.

Good thought - but there is another Sim in the household with "good" but she is not mourning. In fact she is the daughter of the person that died. The mourner is the son-in-law.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I got a mod, long ago, to disable auto mourning. It would drive me crazy cause my sims would stop whatever they were doing, all the time, to go mourn.... Oh, cooking dinner? Nah, let's go mourn great grand-dad Bob, that we never met. Need a shower, halfway thru... nah, let's go mourn.

UGH. I had enough.
    p8L4V6v.png
    Marley V wrote: »
    keep him busy?
    That's I dealt with having 2 urns in the living room

Good idea - but he taking too much attention and I wonder why he is doing this. He visits the urn several times a day - just briefly - and then frequently gets the confident mood.
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    In the past I had this with one sim. I ended up building a small room (1x3 or so) putting the urn in it and having full glass windows. It became a display sort of. But it stopped the mourning and I could keep my urn out.
    In the past I had this with one sim. I ended up building a small room (1x3 or so) putting the urn in it and having full glass windows. It became a display sort of. But it stopped the mourning and I could keep my urn out.

Good thought - but I have put the urn upstairs in a room with no doors - nothing else upstairs but paintings - kind of a gallery. He still makes frequent trips upstairs. I try to direct him to do something productive but in a few moments he leaves it and goes upstairs.

I think I will have to put the urn in storage.
  • MarleyTheWizardMarleyTheWizard Posts: 962 Member
    or he will become a great painter of sad artwork :D
    I Sometimes Tweet About The Sims 4
    Gallery ID: MarleyTheWizard
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Mine too. I downloaded a mod to stop autonomous mourning. I also downloaded a cemetery from the gallery.
    Marley V wrote: »
    or he will become a great painter of sad artwork :D

I wish. Generally he mourns and immediately becomes confident. Anyway - urn put in inventory.
  • RamssesRamsses Posts: 115 Member
    My generation family is on gen 19 so I got quite a bit of urns, what I did to stop the mourning was to build a fence around all the urns so sims couldn't get close enough to mourn.
    They'll still try to but instead of getting the sad moodlet everytime then they just complain they can't get close enough.
    Putting the urn in a room helped - but I've never had a Sim mourn so many times in one day.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I'm having the same issue. My Gen. 5 Heir is a Rising Comedian. It's tough enough to keep him in a playful mood when he goes off to work, let alone that he almost always wants to stop by the family cemetery out in their back yard to mourn his various ancestors. Face/palm. So far, my only means is to distract him by cancelling out the "mourn" image in his queue and have him go do something else. Like practice a routine or write some new jokes. Sheesh, It's a hassle.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    Sheesh, It's a hassle.

True. I gave up and put the urn away. Having to cancel the mourn image practically every other click was too much.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Have you tried resetting that Sim? That sounds like a bug, especially since this is happening to just one member of your household. It's odd the Sim doing the mourning is a son-in-law rather than a blood relative. And then throwing the 'Confident' moodlet after mourning? How is mourning triggering that emotion? The late mother-in-law seems to have some kind of power over her son-in-law that defies a logical explanation. And all that cancelling of the mourning action must be driving you up the wall. If you haven't done so yet, try repairing your game through Origin. Just remember to log out of Origin afterward and restart your PC. Good luck with finding a solution.
    Hi @Paigeisin5 - I do agree it is odd. One reason for the confident mood may be the urn was upstairs in a picture gallery - some of the paintings may have triggered confident as I cancelled the mourn action. I have put the urn in the household inventory. I agree it may be something that needs repair so I will watch for anything else unusual.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Okay, the paintings would throw moodlets. Now I get the whole being confident thing. LOL I had this happen to a young family in Sims2. The husband electrocuted himself while fixing the tv. His wife was left with a toddler and a child to raise on her own. She never recovered from his death for some reason. Until her death she mourned the loss of her husband every day. And she wanted nothing to do with any man after that. I reset her several times, tried a couple of mods, but it never changed. She loved him until the day she died. It was sad but touching in a way. But I have never had that happen again when a spouse has passed away.

Did the son-in-law have a close relationship with his wife's mother? If they were best friends I can see where he might still be mourning. It's strange the woman's own daughter seems over it while the husband is still sad. It's good you moved the urn. Give the poor guy some time. LOL And you a break from having to cancel the mourn action a hundred times a day.
    @Paigeisin5 This whole thing has been a mess. The Sim that died (the mother-in-law) died laughing. She was an adult - not even an elder - and one of my favorites. She was a 10 in several areas and I was looking forward to her mentoring. In fact her image is my avatar for this forum (I probably should change it). I had never had a Sim die laughing - that was upsetting. Then - the son-in-law started this excessive mourning. I keep several generations together in the same house and after a while move the urns to inventory...but this time the mourning was too much. I enjoy the ghosts and this was the youngest ghost I had ever had. It was fun watching her relate to her still living husband...but the mourning was too much.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I had this problem just yesterday I'm like girl quit going outside just to mourn I mean almost everyday she did that.
  • Nicwebb82Nicwebb82 Posts: 447 Member
    That reminds me of in Sims 3 when my family's pet chipmunk died. The whole family everyday would go to the cage and mourn Theodore. And me directing them to do something else didn't work. They would go back a minute later and cry in front of his tank. I never did get another chipmunk for that family. They were to heartbroken over Theo.