Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help Getting the Sims Complete Collection to run on Windows 10.

Comments

• WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    Because of these compatibility issues, I wish they would put the Sims Complete Collection on Origin, and update it so it will run on Windows 8 and 10. (I had no trouble installing Sims Complete Collection on Windows 7 when running as administrator and running in compatibility for Windows XP SP3.) By the way, the no-cd mod for Sims 1 doesn't work unless you have the game installed, and the only reliable way to install the game is to own the cd set. I also wish they would put the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection back on Origin. I just got a new Windows 10 computer, and I have Sims 2 Store Edition on Origin, but that requires Sims 2 to first be installed. Also, with Sims 2 Store edition, the fraternity in SimState University household won't load.

Also please note that if you have Windows Vista SP2 though Windows 8.1, a security update can also prevent The Sims from running. Please see the thread for a possible workaround.

Why The Sims doesn't work is because it uses SafeDisc. In Windows 10, SafeDisc is no longer supported so games needing it won't run. In addition, Microsoft released an update for Windows Vista SP2 through Windows 8.1 that disables SafeDisc causing the same problems as in Windows 10.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    Humm I got mine to run on Windows 10 :wink: it was from a video from youtube I think it was 'How to play The sims 1 in Windows 10' or something like that but it work
  • DanielroxheapsDanielroxheaps Posts: 33 Member
    > @Kartai said:
    > Humm I got mine to run on Windows 10 :wink: it was from a video from youtube I think it was 'How to play The sims 1 in Windows 10' or something like that but it work

I know this topic is old, ish, but by any chance would the video be: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahVCMVmt0y0
  • KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    > @Kartai said:
    > Humm I got mine to run on Windows 10 :wink: it was from a video from youtube I think it was 'How to play The sims 1 in Windows 10' or something like that but it work

I know this topic is old, ish, but by any chance would the video be: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahVCMVmt0y0

It might of been that one wow it's been so long but I used the Complete Collection v1.91 [MULTI] No-CD/Fixed EXE and it worked but yes I do have Sims 1 complete collection on my windows 10 and it works.

• goscht67goscht67 Posts: 1 New Member
    is there anyway to confirm this patch is safe?? i'm hesitant, the video for this patch is in another language.
  • Teamjelsa5Teamjelsa5 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey! I got the sims 1 complete collection to pull up, but when I get past the loading screen and into town it exits! Help!!!
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited November 2016
    Teamjelsa5 wrote: »
    Hey! I got the sims 1 complete collection to pull up, but when I get past the loading screen and into town it exits! Help!!!

Be sure you are running Sims.exe in administrator mode and compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3. Also, you may want to try reinstalling the Sims (1) Complete Collection in compatibility mode as an administrator. Make sure you keep your no-cd mod (it is a modified file called Sims.exe) in a separate folder, so that you can restore it later. If it does the same thing, you may need to check the source where you got your no-cd mod, and possibly Google a working replacement. If you still need help, someone on CTO Sims can probably point you to a source. (Note that they won't help you if you do not have a legitimate copy of the game.) By the way, running the installation from the Sims Complete Collection from the CD on Windows 10 worked for me just fine, but once installed, the program was not able to read from the CD to play the game due to Windows 10 not supporting the CD protection program. Interestingly enough, copying the Sims.exe file that was installed on my Windows 7 laptop over to my Windows 10 computer seemed to solve the problem for me, and that executable does request that the CD be inserted to play the game.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • rcj2990rcj2990 Posts: 1 New Member
    Anyone more tech savvy than myself want to help me figure out what to do with the mod? I downloaded it and moved the file, but when I go to run it, it simply reads "could not find the Sims data directory". Thanks!
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    Teamjelsa5 wrote: »

Be sure you are running Sims.exe in administrator mode and compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3. Also, you may want to try reinstalling the Sims (1) Complete Collection in compatibility mode as an administrator. Make sure you keep your no-cd mod (it is a modified file called Sims.exe) in a separate folder, so that you can restore it later. If it does the same thing, you may need to check the source where you got your no-cd mod, and possibly Google a working replacement. If you still need help, someone on CTO Sims can probably point you to a source. (Note that they won't help you if you do not have a legitimate copy of the game.) By the way, running the installation from the Sims Complete Collection from the CD on Windows 10 worked for me just fine, but once installed, the program was not able to read from the CD to play the game due to Windows 10 not supporting the CD protection program. Interestingly enough, copying the Sims.exe file that was installed on my Windows 7 laptop over to my Windows 10 computer seemed to solve the problem for me, and that executable does request that the CD be inserted to play the game.

On Windows Vista through 8.1, I had ran The Sims under an Administrator account without using Compatibility Mode and I didn't get an error message except when I had an update that blocked SafeDisc. Keep in mind that The Sims was designed for Windows 95/98 which like MS-DOS, did not include Administrator or Standard User accounts like modern operating systems did. When a game/program was intended for Windows 9x, you had to run them under an Administrator account or otherwise the program wouldn't work.

Also in most cases, you do not need to set the OS Compatibility Mode unless the application excepts a specific version of Windows. For example, if the program says you need Windows XP when you have Windows 7 (likely intended to block running it on Windows 98/2000), you would set the Compatibility Mode to Windows XP (Service Pack 2). You would also do the same thing if the program refuses to run in 16-bit/32-bit color mode displaying an error message saying you need 256 Colors, you would check the checkbox for 256 Colors (Windows XP/Vista/7) or Reduced Color (Windows 8/10).
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited March 2017
    rcj2990 wrote: »
    Anyone more tech savvy than myself want to help me figure out what to do with the mod? I downloaded it and moved the file, but when I go to run it, it simply reads "could not find the Sims data directory". Thanks!

The mod should be where your original sims program directory is: Example on a 64 bit machine - Program Files(x86)\Maxis\The Sims\(place mod here).

Don't overwrite the original file: A backup copy of your original file should be renamed and saved (thesims.exe.old) and a backup copy of the mod should also be copied to another directory - Documents\Sims backup files\(mod copy here). (Also you probably want to copy the Downloads, GameData and UserData folders here, but don't remove the original folders from their original spots in the program files).

Keep in mind, if you need to reinstall the game, the game will not work without the Ranger files. However, those are installed automatically when you install the game from cd, so you do NOT have to copy those files into a backup folder. One of the first things I am doing once I reinstall the Sims Complete Collection (since I have to reinstall again - a virus messed up my hard drive) is copying the entire The Sims directory from Program Files(x86)\Maxis\The Sims\ to Documents\The Sims backup\, in case I ever want to play without custom content, or reset all my lots and neighborhoods to their original state. (Its great what you can do with a 2TB hard drive). Then, I will copy the old download folders(containing objects, skins, walls, floors, roofs, and neighborhoods) from my backup on my external drive that contain the custom content, back into my newly installed game(these folders are located in the GameData, downloads, and UserData folders in the game directory).
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • lillyboulillybou Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello. I just wanted to say this works for me just fine, and I have separate expansion packs, not the complete collection. I have the polish language version and the exe file works fine. I didn't manage to install the expansion pack Holidays and it still works.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    I also have separate expansion pack discs. I have all the expansions except Making Magic. Not sure if that has anything to say, with regards to the modified exe. I have tried to run in every compatability mode, as administrator, with no compatability, not as administrator...it's not working. I just get a black screen, then nothing happens. When I insert the Superstar disc, I get to click Play, and choose resolution. Then the same black screen. I'm beginning to think I need to dig out one of my old PC's from storage, just so I can play the ol' TS1 again :( Nostalgia is really getting to me!
  • MeggyPlumbobMeggyPlumbob Posts: 46 Member
    @Kathykins When the black screen pops up have you tried getting rid of it using CTRL, ATL, DEL?
    @MeggyPlumbob, the black screen vanishes so fast I don't have time to do anything at all, really. I forgot to mention that :o I should have said: I get a black screen that just disappears then I'm back to my desktop. There is nothing sims in my task manager, and ctrl-alt-del doesn't do anything different than any other time I might use it.

I do remember actually installing TS1 on a laptop some time ago, will have to dig it out and see if it works there. I have trouble remembering, however, if I have Win10 on that machine as well oO If I do, I'll see if I can revert it back to a previous version...think I have the WinXP cd around here somewhere. At least the game worked back then, as far as I know. :)
    @Kathykins How strange, but in regards to you having separate EPs, what modified .exe are you using? They have separate ones for each EP. For example, I have all the EPs installed but I use the .exe modded for Makin' Magic as that's the most recent EP. Say for example Hot Date was the latest EP you had, you'd download the Hot Date .exe. (Well that's what I assumed from a YouTube video I watched about it but I'm not sure how to embed it in the forum)
    @MeggyPlumbob I got the one from the first page here, which in hindsight might not have been the right choice, as I think that's for TS1 Complete collection. I really don't know where to find a modded exe for my latest EP, which is Superstar. The link I used only gave me one choice of file to download.

I'm looking around to see if its possible to (easily) find a copy of TS1 Complete where I live, but no luck so far. Or at least Making Magic, so I have the full set. :) Complete would be the better choice, I suppose, if I can find it ... with less discs to install from. Its always a lenghty task that requires more patience than I have :)
    @Kathykins The from this forum is the one for the Complete Collection, they have a link for the Superstar one in the description box of this video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahVCMVmt0y0

I really hope that solves the problem! :)

If not try eBay, that's where I have gotten most of mine.
    Thanks, @MeggyPlumbob. I'll probly have to create account on Ebay and/or Amazon and see what I can find. I haven't used either one before, as we have similar, if not as big, sites where I live :) Haven't had much use for them either! :dizzy:
    I did have a looksee at that video, but didn't see it finish, or read the description! Couldn't see what page on this forum it showed, thought it was this thread, and moved on as the link here didn't help me at all. Teaches me to be patient, that does, and have a proper look around. B)
  • leesh6396leesh6396 Posts: 1 New Member
    i am trying to change the name of the sims.exe but cannot seem to find it. all i see is the shortcut called "sims" is anyone able to help me with this ?
  • gypsygypsy Posts: 48 Member
    @leesh6396 Please right-click the shortcut and click "Open file location"
    I'm Clementine. Can I... borrow a piece of your chicken?
  • ladymageladymage Posts: 1 New Member
    Compatibility mode allows it to start, but I can't get past the resolution issue. Windows 10 pops me out before the game loads with a tray alert about "this is not the optimal resolution, the resolution is 1920x..." and so on. How do I work around it?
  • CaityCupcakes10CaityCupcakes10 Posts: 91 Member
    edited June 2017
    Hello! I have no idea how any of this works as I have never needed to, so if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong that'd be great.
    So I have the sims 1 deluxe edition. I installed it using the wizard, did everything it said, and it was fine. The opening screen showed up, I clicked play, obviously it didn't let me, just had an "Access Denied" popup that red "Please login with administrator privileges and try again. So I download the thing, but there is no folder to put it in. All the disk things are just in a group called "DVD RW Drive (D:) The Sims Deluxe". I can't put the new sims fix in it since it's a disk, and if I try to open the new one it just tells me "Could not find The Sims data directory" on a popup called "Fatal Error". I'm not sure what to do to get a folder with all the disk contents. If anyone could help, that'd be awesome! Thanks! :smiley:
    Post edited by CaityCupcakes10 on
    @CaityCupcakes10 I can only tell you what I did to make TS1 work for me. I downloaded a modified exe and put it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims" (your game may not be installed in the same place and /or be named differently), after changing the name of the original sims.exe. I then put a shortcut of the .exe on my desktop. Right-click/Properties/Compatibility. I ticked "Run as administrator" and chose compatibility mode for Windows XP (service pack 3). You may have to try different modes.

This is what works for me and my system. Although the game has crashed a couple of times (it just dumped me to my desktop....save often!), it is totally worth it to be able to play again :)
    @ladymage I have modified my shorcut to be able to play in higher resolution. Not sure if that would help you, but probably worth a shot.
    Right click shortcut, Properties then add a space, then -r1024x768 (or which resolution you want) to the target path.
    Mine looks like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims\Sims.exe" -r1024x768

I am not sure what TS1 can handle, really, how high you can go. Some has also suggested to lower your graphic card resolution temporarily. I haven't tried it, as I had no problems with resolution. I think my monitor is as old as TS1, also :)
  • nschubert17nschubert17 Posts: 2 New Member
    Can anyone please help me? I recently purchased the sims collection off ebay and I had no trouble installing it on my laptop, which runs windows 10, so I download the patch from the link and i put the file in my sims folder and changed the compatibility and ran it as an administrator but when ever I try to run the application a message comes up saying "could not find the sims data directory"... I don't know what to do, i don't have a sims.exe file either. When I go to the maxis folder, all i have is; easy info, electronic registration, the sims 800x600, the sims 1024x768, uninstall the sims, and www.thesims.com. This is where i put the modded folder, but i just get the no data directory message. I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything, but nothing has changed.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top