Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teens body proportions

Comments

• ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    Regarding the height issue, there seems to be this misconception that teens are generally "smaller" than adults or young adults. But they're not. Most if not all reach their adult height by 16, sometimes earlier. In fact, if you did a survey, you would find that the average teenager by the age of 16 would probably be much taller than an adult who is below average height.

Case in point:

article-2395443-1B51C25D000005DC-217_634x889.jpg

That is Mary Kate Olsen, who is reportedly 5'2, out with one of her BF's teenaged daughters, who looks to be around 14. There is an earlier picture of them together when she was 12 and she was already a little taller than Olsen.

Because of this, I can understand why they chose to make the teens the height that they are in TS4. It doesn't make sense to automatically make teenagers of high school age much shorter than YAs or Adults, because they're not in real life.
    EiFlric.png
  • SimGuruNickSimGuruNick Posts: 384 SimGuru (retired)
    This was not done intentionally, and is an issue. Thank you all for the reports!
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Yeah it was said the teen height thing was due to teens and adults having mostly the same interactions, not realism (lots of unrealistic things anyways lol)

Good to know this is a bug though, thanks SimGuruNick!
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Sc3niX wrote: »
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    BabySquare wrote: »
    I personally don't know what, if anything to read into it, but I do feel they could do with being a bit shorter, but then again, we don't know if these teens are 13-14ish or 18-19ish - there's a lot of height to be gained in those years!

Can't see them being 18-19, they'd be young adults/college students. Teens in TS4 seem like more like 16-17 year olds. I think a lot of people forget that most people will already be as tall or taller than their parents by the time they're 15 or 16.

Ill have to respectfully disagree. Well to be fair, I know a lot of US kids start puberty at young ages. And a 16 year old could easily pass off as a 20 year old.

Where I live however, 16 year olds are still midgets. Only midgets with b-lemons. And in my personal experience, my body only started filling out when I was about 19 years old. >.<

My Granddaughter was in collage at 19 she is a young adult not a teen. I do not see the sims 4 teens as teens they are collage kids. young adults.

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    I personally don't know what, if anything to read into it, but I do feel they could do with being a bit shorter, but then again, we don't know if these teens are 13-14ish or 18-19ish - there's a lot of height to be gained in those years!

Can't see them being 18-19, they'd be young adults/college students. Teens in TS4 seem like more like 16-17 year olds. I think a lot of people forget that most people will already be as tall or taller than their parents by the time they're 15 or 16.

Ill have to respectfully disagree. Well to be fair, I know a lot of US kids start puberty at young ages. And a 16 year old could easily pass off as a 20 year old.

Where I live however, 16 year olds are still midgets. Only midgets with b-lemons. And in my personal experience, my body only started filling out when I was about 19 years old. >.<

My Granddaughter was in collage at 19 she is a young adult not a teen. I do not see the sims 4 teens as teens they are collage kids. young adults.

*college
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

The sims 4 so called teens, look like they are 19 in collage. 14, 15, 16 teens do not go to collage and do not look like they do.
    We need pre teens, that is the only thing that bothers me in Sims 4. I do not have to ask someone in RL if they are a teen, it is very obvious that they are 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 they do not look like collage kids. there is a very big difference. I cannot play the sims 4 teens as teens, it just seems like another expansion of YA, Maybe EA needs a longer party life for the sims. that is why they look like YA.

The sims 4 so called teens, look like they are 19 in collage. 14, 15, 16 teens do not go to collage and do not look like they do.
    We need pre teens, that is the only thing that bothers me in Sims 4. I do not have to ask someone in RL if they are a teen, it is very obvious that they are 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 they do not look like collage kids. there is a very big difference. I cannot play the sims 4 teens as teens, it just seems like another expansion of YA, Maybe EA needs a longer party life for the sims. that is why they look like YA.

*college :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimJoseph7SimJoseph7 Posts: 110 Member
    ts1depot wrote: »
    Regarding the height issue, there seems to be this misconception that teens are generally "smaller" than adults or young adults. But they're not. Most if not all reach their adult height by 16, sometimes earlier. In fact, if you did a survey, you would find that the average teenager by the age of 16 would probably be much taller than an adult who is below average height.

Case in point:

article-2395443-1B51C25D000005DC-217_634x889.jpg

That is Mary Kate Olsen, who is reportedly 5'2, out with one of her BF's teenaged daughters, who looks to be around 14. There is an earlier picture of them together when she was 12 and she was already a little taller than Olsen.

Because of this, I can understand why they chose to make the teens the height that they are in TS4. It doesn't make sense to automatically make teenagers of high school age much shorter than YAs or Adults, because they're not in real life.

That is more the exception and not the rule in my opinion. For every picture like that I could post 20 more that are the opposite.

Thing is, in "real life", I can tell who the adult is and who the teen is. In the Sims 4 by just looking, not so much.

Well of course, that is my opinion, of course.
    Joseph
    Dreams Never Die, Just The Dreamer...
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    This was not done intentionally, and is an issue. Thank you all for the reports!

Phew! Thank you. I play teens a lot and it's meaningful to me that they change appearance when they eventually age to YAs.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Great to know, thanks @SimGuruNick.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • BrattonMattonBrattonMatton Posts: 896 Member

I was one of those kids who started puberty earlier.

Case in point:

To be honest, I am taller than my older sister who is 20. When I was 9/10 and she was 14/15, we both were the same height (5'2). I was too tall for my age any way as I didn't fit in with the other kids in the thirday grade. They were under 4ft and I was over 5ft. Thank you body thinking that I was ready for early puberty and thanks for making me a little girl in a woman's body. -_-
    edited June 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

*college :p

Hope you had as big of a laugh as much as I did, because I have written a novel, devotional, articles and poems all published, and no mistakes. But I guess I can be more relaxed here and not worry about grammar or spelling. :) Have fun with your Sims

Case in point:

To be honest, I am taller than my older sister who is 20. When I was 9/10 and she was 14/15, we both were the same height (5'2). I was too tall for my age any way as I didn't fit in with the other kids in the thirday grade. They were under 4ft and I was over 5ft. Thank you body thinking that I was ready for early puberty and thanks for making me a little girl in a woman's body. -_-

Sometimes I think it depends on the mother and father. I have seen mothers who are only 5'2 and the Father who is 6 foot and the teen ends up taller then the mother and sometimes take after the mother and are shorter. Some girls are tall and take after their father. I guess you can never tell. But to be truthful, I wish we had pre teens and not teens who look like YA.
  • XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    People need to serious stop with the "taller teens are realistic" thing.
    Maxis NEVER wanted to do taller teens on purpose, they did it just because then didn't had time to do proper teens.
    By some people's logic we should have shorter female sims.
    tenor.gif
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member

I am so happy that this wasn't intended. I really like the way sims grow wider as they get older.

Case in point:

Sometimes I think it depends on the mother and father. I have seen mothers who are only 5'2 and the Father who is 6 foot and the teen ends up taller then the mother and sometimes take after the mother and are shorter. Some girls are tall and take after their father. I guess you can never tell. But to be truthful, I wish we had pre teens and not teens who look like YA.

Yeah. My mom was 5'5 and was was 5'10/5'11. I'm just half an inch taller than my mom now. Height could sometimes be a family thing.
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    People need to serious stop with the "taller teens are realistic" thing.
    Maxis NEVER wanted to do taller teens on purpose, they did it just because then didn't had time to do proper teens.
    By some people's logic we should have shorter female sims.

Yes! That would make it more realistic! Think about it

Babies: Same height
    Toddlers: Boy, 3'0-3'2, girls, 2'9-2'11
    Child: Same height
    Preteen: Girls, 5'1-5'4, boys, 4'10-5'0 (Girls grow faster than boys you know at this time)
    Teen-Elder: Men, 5'10-6'0, women 5'6-5'8

Males end up taller than females at the end.
    Sadly, this bug was not fixed for me in today's patch. :(

Somebody wanted to see pictures of what the problem looked like, so I uploaded some pictures.

tumblr_o98u8pVr6Y1r30woao3_1280.png
    tumblr_o98u8pVr6Y1r30woao2_1280.png
    tumblr_o98u8pVr6Y1r30woao1_1280.png

It's easier to flip through the pictures to compare on Tumblr: http://simlishdistractions.tumblr.com/post/146373261894/they-still-havent-fixed-the-bug-where-no-body

You'll notice that although her facial details change very slightly, there are no body changes at all. She keeps her teenage body until elder. (It does change for elder, sorry I didn't take a picture of it.)
    It wasn't fixed? :(
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    I checked on this issue and I while they are different again, I'm not sure if there were more different before. I never pay much attention to this stuff.

Can I have anyone's opinion ?

(do make sure to patch your game with today's patch first)
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• buzz_infamousbuzz_infamous Posts: 814 Member
    it seems that there is a slight difference. teens have a bit smoother face and female teens also have smaller breasts. but i guess this is still far from what we had a few months back in the game. the difference is still too undistinguishable.
    Origin ID: minimalcanary
  • XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    For me it's 100% fixed. :|
    tenor.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Oh wow. I really hope this is fixed! I'll have my Teens back :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Yes, mine are fixed too. Teen, YA, and A. This was my most wanted fix because I have a teen who is about due to age up soon! So glad! :D