Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kids Pack is Kind of...Boring

Comments

• PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    kitangel1 wrote: »
    @ the people who are saying that the new content is going to be repetitive,

Can I just ask how they could not make it repetitive for you? I dunno, I guess I've always felt the sims games get repetitive with actions no matter what iteration I play, so I don't really know what you guys are looking for them to give you. I use my imagination to decide things for my sims. Maybe I decide my kid is only into the Voidcritters because their bff is into it. So they might collect a few cards, but they aren't super passionate about it. Maybe they hate it completely, maybe they're completely obsessed with being the champion of their voidcritters club.

Overall I'm excited for more things for my kids to do and have regardless.

It's quite nice for the players who wanted more things for kids but I'm quite indifferent to it........still waiting for Supernaturals, goth like decor and some crumbs for the deviant players. We've gotten nothing. The closest thing is the really silly Halloween pack.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Not sure how a puppet theater is more repetitive than a game of catch or a swing set. Anything gets repetitive after the 1st or 2nd time you see it. It's all a matter of what repetition you enjoy. I loved watching toddlers fall asleep in TS2 and detectives doing stake-outs in TS3, and I love watching my kids cheat at chess in TS4. I can envision the puppet theater being entertaining each time I have a batch of kids playing with it.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    i'm curious how much of this "stuff" is actually interactive and not just clutter fluff that doesn't do anything.
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Sorry that you don't find it that interesting, but I do sort of get where you're coming from. When one thing's repeated too much, it'll sort of get stale. The way I'm thinking about this pack is that each of the kids in my main save will make a "team" of Voidcritters, and have their own different cards that they want. I think only one or two of them will want to get the whole collection for themselves, and even some of the adult geek Sims I have will want to get the whole collection, since it fits their personalities to a T. And the puppet theater I think could just be a fun activity for Sims to do when they travel to an area or have a birthday party, as entertainment. I'm not going to use it all the time, but I won't ignore completely either, since it's not the only thing the kids could do.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    i'm curious how much of this "stuff" is actually interactive and not just clutter fluff that doesn't do anything.

I think only two things are interactive...
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Audio_5urfAudio_5urf Posts: 655 Member
    I normally don't play kids myself, but I love it when I do get involved with them.. so in a way, i'm kind of excited for the pack. Void critters since I was in the generation that played pokemon and yogi oh.. was impartial to magic as I got older.

Idk, just adds some little details that I can use to build their future stories and personalities with.. kid gets obsessed with being the best at void critters.. grows up to be a world renowned eSports gamer.

Kid was excellent at puppet shows, becomes a famous comedian.

And so on
    Lets make The Sims 4 great again!
    -- Origin ID: Audio5urf --
    Feel free to add me, and check out my gallery shenanigans.
    teaa5 wrote: »

awww. that makes me sad. i have a basement full of bored kids.

hehehe I really think they should first go with a good EP which would enhance and add more interactions and other stuff to kids, teens play and add toddlers.. than going with it now.. but it is my opinion.. so even if i like the puppet thing.. wont be buying this one for some time definitely..
    00.jpg

Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    Not sure how a puppet theater is more repetitive than a game of catch or a swing set. Anything gets repetitive after the 1st or 2nd time you see it. It's all a matter of what repetition you enjoy. I loved watching toddlers fall asleep in TS2 and detectives doing stake-outs in TS3, and I love watching my kids cheat at chess in TS4. I can envision the puppet theater being entertaining each time I have a batch of kids playing with it.

Maybe because you'll see the same five plays with Sims sitting or standing or walking around in front of it? Not to mention how many times you might have to do the same play until the child gets to the next level. I guess there is always the possibility that Grimm might come after someone and that might break it up.

But you see I'm very much a been there, done that person. Once I saw how little there was for the P.I.s in TS3 to do (one of my biggest disappointments) I didn't play it again until the game ended and I could mod in more play for the P.Is to do. As in true crime,mobster, murder mystery play.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

hehehe I really think they should first go with a good EP which would enhance and add more interactions and other stuff to kids, teens play and add toddlers.. than going with it now.. but it is my opinion.. so even if i like the puppet thing.. wont be buying this one for some time definitely..

yeah, that'd make sense. this should be a dessert to an entrée.

yeah, that'd make sense. this should be a dessert to an entrée.

Exactly:))))))))))))))))
    00.jpg

• Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    @FFX2Paine506 Gotta agree with you. When I read the blog I thought...here we go. More collectables and more repetitive play.

It's a stuff pack. It doesn't come with a lot of game play like GP's or EP's, it's stuff. And how is a puppet theater that we have never had before or a Voidcritter battlestation that we have never had before considered repetitive? I like the fact that kids have something to collect now. What would you like to see in a stuff pack that isn't repetitive in some way or another?

There are new collectables....another collection is great for people who like that kind of stuff. Each child in each household will have to go collecting.....repetitive. Five puppet plays that have to unlocked to then be repeated over and over. Maybe it's never been done before but it will be repetitive. Just like most of the play in the game.

But you see I know a stuff pack is a stuff pack......."stuff" for the game. However, when a blog is written the devs make sure they point out the new game play so I'm just commenting on what they have pointed out......new game play.

Honestly I don't understand the need for people to jump in and point out how my opinion is wrong. If you like the SP...great for you.....but my opinion is that....my opinion. Do you honestly think a Voidcritter battlestation is going to make me go....OH MY...I've been so wrong about game play I feel is repetitive?

I don't think your opinion is wrong, I just didn't understand it. I'm not a huge gamer, but aren't all games, in the end, repetitive. Mario Kart is just racing around a track over and over again. Maybe you win, maybe you lose, maybe you crash, but it's still the same race over and over. What do you want in the sims that would not be repetitive? I'm not being snarky, I really want to know what game play they could create that wouldn't feel like you've done it over and over when you play it over and over?

How can you have been a part of this forum and not read the many times people have posted about the linear, repetitive play? It's been explained over and over that in past games it was the player's choice as to how goals were reached. The game has been narrowed down to a set path without much choice at all.

Only if you choose to play that way. I do not. I find ways to do what I want to do, but I am seldom bored in the game.

I don't generally play children in my games. I could not care less about toddlers, but I will buy this pack. It looks cute, and I am sure I will get more than $10 enjoyment from it. It's ten dollars. Hardly breaking the bank.
    edited June 2016
    @FFX2Paine506 Gotta agree with you. When I read the blog I thought...here we go. More collectables and more repetitive play.

It's a stuff pack. It doesn't come with a lot of game play like GP's or EP's, it's stuff. And how is a puppet theater that we have never had before or a Voidcritter battlestation that we have never had before considered repetitive? I like the fact that kids have something to collect now. What would you like to see in a stuff pack that isn't repetitive in some way or another?

There are new collectables....another collection is great for people who like that kind of stuff. Each child in each household will have to go collecting.....repetitive. Five puppet plays that have to unlocked to then be repeated over and over. Maybe it's never been done before but it will be repetitive. Just like most of the play in the game.

But you see I know a stuff pack is a stuff pack......."stuff" for the game. However, when a blog is written the devs make sure they point out the new game play so I'm just commenting on what they have pointed out......new game play.

Honestly I don't understand the need for people to jump in and point out how my opinion is wrong. If you like the SP...great for you.....but my opinion is that....my opinion. Do you honestly think a Voidcritter battlestation is going to make me go....OH MY...I've been so wrong about game play I feel is repetitive?

I don't think your opinion is wrong, I just didn't understand it. I'm not a huge gamer, but aren't all games, in the end, repetitive. Mario Kart is just racing around a track over and over again. Maybe you win, maybe you lose, maybe you crash, but it's still the same race over and over. What do you want in the sims that would not be repetitive? I'm not being snarky, I really want to know what game play they could create that wouldn't feel like you've done it over and over when you play it over and over?

How can you have been a part of this forum and not read the many times people have posted about the linear, repetitive play? It's been explained over and over that in past games it was the player's choice as to how goals were reached. The game has been narrowed down to a set path without much choice at all.

Only if you choose to play that way. I do not. I find ways to do what I want to do, but I am seldom bored in the game.

I don't generally play children in my games. I could not care less about toddlers, but I will buy this pack. It looks cute, and I am sure I will get more than $10 enjoyment from it. It's ten dollars. Hardly breaking the bank.

And I hope you enjoy it. I've never been bored with a Sims game until now. The last patch was entertaining for a while and over time I'll probably get much more use out of that than any content I've purchased.

I don't do cute and to me 10 dollars is too much to pay for cute. You like cute so it's worth it to you.
    Post edited by PHOEBESMOM601 on
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Hard to say since the pack's not out yet, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • TheHeku4TheHeku4 Posts: 155 Member
    edited June 2016
    I sadly agree.
    I think that I'm just dissapointed that they made this pack into a STUFF pack. I just hope that they won't pull the ''We already made a pack for kids, what more do you want?'' card when it comes to a Generations themed EP.
    Also, this just further makes me feel like we won't get toddlers.. why else would they do a KID stuff pack before adding a KID life state into the game.. I dunno mate, seems sketchy.
    The puppet theater and ''card-battling station'' look really-really cool, and especially the last one made me actually want one irl, but both items just seem so.. pretentious..? Or high end..? I don't know how to explain it. It doesn't feel realistic to me. And the new furniture looks so usual. Clothes don't fit my playstyle either.
    It just isn't for me and it absolutely doesn't mean it's a bad one. I'm happy for everyone who's pumped for this stuff pack!! :)
    4XoHjXr.gif
    "You can't agree to disagree, because they're frigging wrong!" 
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

But you're definition of linear, repetitive play, is literally anything that has to be done more than once.

Yes, each child has to go collect. Yes, there is only 5 puppet shows.

But when has the Sims ever had a non-repetitive, non linear gameplay outside of this?

Everything in the Sims is repetitive. Everything needs to be done again and again.

Right now you sound like someone who critiques a shooter game for having guns *again*. Like nothing in this pack is linear, anymore than anything else in the Sims.

Infact, considering its collectables, there's potential that every child will have a different collection if they double up in collecting.

^ This. I have more freedom in Fallout 4, Ark Survival, Elder Scrolls Online and etc.. And only one of those are my genre of games. In Sims I use to have freedom as well.. not this go around..it is more questy than above.. Same follow these steps..

My mom brought me Dine Out.. So I gave it try.. just buggy and same old, same old. Could say more, but this is about the latest addition.

Two more repetitive objects added.. I would of rather it been a playground set.. if they wanted game play.. playing catch with parent, cops and robbers.. and etc.. Not too oversized items that you have too unlock the stages..

I get it is a stuff pack.. Playground is stuff.. collecting in Sims 4 is annoying and grows old to me.. it means nothing to me like in other games. And what I seen is more decoration than actual stuff.. Oh, and I love clutter.. but this game is so linear now.. I would love some freedom..

I saw one bed? Even the furniture is repetitive. and add a couple of pieces doesn't do Sims 4 any good..

Wallpaper??

-.- I am underwhelmed to say the least. I am happy for those that think this is so great. I see the same old stuff that adds nothing of depth to the game.

It is a shame that a Rpg, survival, and MMO has more freedom without punishment than a Sims game..

-.- A swing set, slide, treehouse, sports activies.. a bit more freedom..

a) We already have two Playground sets. Another one would just be more of the same.
    b) A playground set would be MORE repetitive than what we have been given.

You're complaining of a lack of freedom, but then asking for things that have already been done to an extent, or would provide the same kind of outcome as something we already have.

Swing set? Back, forth, back forth. How is that LESS repetitive then going on a collecting spree.

People aren't even making sense anymore and just complain over the fact everything in the previous games hasn't made its way to 4 yet.

Play the old game and wait for the rest. Like "I didn't want Dine Out, I wanted Toddlers". Someone people wanted Dine Out and don't want Toddlers.

You win some, you lose some. That doesn't make the Sims 4 anymore MMO RPG esque just because you feel it's a grind because you're not interested.

The Sims 3 was the one with an Open World with RPGMMO quests, missions and adventures.
    Interesting to see replies about other objects somehow not being just as repetitive (not to mention rehashes from previous games to boot!). How is *click 'Play' on a swing set* any less repetitive than the stuff we're getting now? Do you think there'll be more than 5 ways to swing on it? Because there are 5 plays to unlock. Do you think there'd be even more than one?

Everything in the Sims is repetitive. You play a Sim. You get a job. You get married. You have kids. You go on vacations. You die. You play out the kids. Rinse/repeat. That's not exactly some magic qualifier, IMHO. There's more to the games than the object and menu associated with it.

That sounds similar to one of my very first games. Haven't played it again.....ever.

• RomanticAspRomanticAsp Posts: 91 Member
    I am not really into Stuff Packs to be honest, the content in them are mostly reskins
    @jackjack_k You seem to be fond of repetition so I'll repost what I said.

"How can you have been a part of this forum and not read the many times people have posted about the linear, repetitive play? It's been explained over and over that in past games it was the player's choice as to how goals were reached. The game has been narrowed down to a set path without much choice at all."

If that doesn't explain it for you I don't know what else to say.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    @jackjack_k You seem to be fond of repetition so I'll repost what I said.

"How can you have been a part of this forum and not read the many times people have posted about the linear, repetitive play? It's been explained over and over that in past games it was the player's choice as to how goals were reached. The game has been narrowed down to a set path without much choice at all."

If that doesn't explain it for you I don't know what else to say.

Do you even play S4? If you do, what in the game do you enjoy enough to keep playing? Sims is a life simulation game and the vast majority of life is repetitive. Maybe you can decide to take a different route to work in the morning, but you still end up at work doing the same job as yesterday. So what keeps Phoebe's mom playing the sims?
  • SpiderBitesSpiderBites Posts: 19 New Member

But doesn't every game have repetitive features.. at least In the sims you can control everything unlike some games that are sandbox. The game Is still in development though, why do you think they make DLC ans PATCHES.

I mean they could add this all to the game and release It as one game if they wanted too. This game is still developing.. lol try chamomile tea.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Boring or not Graham said the puppet thing could be added to parks,restaurants etc. I'm looking forward to the puppet thingy.
  • CharlieGothCharlieGoth Posts: 192 Member
    people will always find something to complain about.
  • Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Interesting to see replies about other objects somehow not being just as repetitive (not to mention rehashes from previous games to boot!). How is *click 'Play' on a swing set* any less repetitive than the stuff we're getting now? Do you think there'll be more than 5 ways to swing on it? Because there are 5 plays to unlock. Do you think there'd be even more than one?

Everything in the Sims is repetitive. You play a Sim. You get a job. You get married. You have kids. You go on vacations. You die. You play out the kids. Rinse/repeat. That's not exactly some magic qualifier, IMHO. There's more to the games than the object and menu associated with it.

That sounds similar to one of my very first games. Haven't played it again.....ever.

Lol I don't play sims like that either with the same old routine seems depressing. I have all kinds of stuff going on that makes others think I'm playing a different game.