Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• racncone123racncone123 Posts: 1,138 New Member
    edited November 2009
    M&M,

First i want to say what a wonderful idea this thread is. I just spent the last half hour or so reading through, and I have to say i have seen a lot of wonderful lots!

So now, I have one for you all to critique. This was my very first build and upload to TS3, and looking back, I can see how much i have improved as a builder. There is no landscaping, no patterns, etc. So I was thinking of revamping this lot. Any suggestions? It is supposed to be modern or ultra modern (hence the lack of pattern), but it definately needs something!

Download: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=893016

Tour: http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=77268

Also, if anyone can tell me where I can find the instructions on changing the picture of you avatar (or uploaded sims), I would really appreciate it. :D
  • MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited November 2009
    M&M,

First i want to say what a wonderful idea this thread is. I just spent the last half hour or so reading through, and I have to say i have seen a lot of wonderful lots!

So now, I have one for you all to critique. This was my very first build and upload to TS3, and looking back, I can see how much i have improved as a builder. There is no landscaping, no patterns, etc. So I was thinking of revamping this lot. Any suggestions? It is supposed to be modern or ultra modern (hence the lack of pattern), but it definately needs something!

Download: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=893016

Tour: http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=77268

Also, if anyone can tell me where I can find the instructions on changing the picture of you avatar (or uploaded sims), I would really appreciate it. :D

Hi racncone123. Welcome to our thread. I will be downloading your lot and going through your tour today.

I wanted to answer your question about the avitar first. When you read through this thread, you might remember the second post about changing your cover picture. After you create a sim and have shared it, like your lots, will be in your export folder. You can use Zinda799's program to change the picture of a sim or an object like you do with your lots. Have fun and I'll be back soon with my review of your lot.

MerryWiddow
    edited November 2009
    MerryWiddow, thank you for your suggestions on the cc documenting. I am beginning to realize how much work is involved in this whole process! I am going to try, in my next project, to limit the amount of cc that I put into it from the beginning. But, even that is difficult as that limits even the patterns used in the decor. I have tried turning off the installed cc before building but still end up with cc in my game.

I see MeestorMark has already said what I was going to say about the patterns.

What I like to catalogue most is the furniture and the artwork. If the artwork is missing there is no damage done really to your design. But, and this is a big but, if the furniture is missing all you have is an empty house. So at the least catalogue the furniture.

I get most of my artwork from two sources, ricslady99 at The Simmers Society and Sims Art Gallery. I choose to itemize on my artwork list, but if it's all in one place you don't have to. Hope that helps it seem like a little less work.

MerryWiddow
  • judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited November 2009
    Thank you for the clarification on the patterns, that will will make things quite a bit easier. I have a question on the furniture and such with uploading and having it show up in downloads. Does it work the same way as the patterns and such? When I turn off the installed cc, I still end up with a great deal of cc in my game- all items that downloaded with monkeyhelper are still there...will those items then upload too as part of the file?
  • silversarahsilversarah Posts: 1,540 New Member
    edited November 2009
    hi lov the houses!!
    edited November 2009
    Thank you for the clarification on the patterns, that will will make things quite a bit easier. I have a question on the furniture and such with uploading and having it show up in downloads. Does it work the same way as the patterns and such? When I turn off the installed cc, I still end up with a great deal of cc in my game- all items that downloaded with monkeyhelper are still there...will those items then upload too as part of the file?

Hi Judy.

From what I understand, anything that is installed into your 'c:/program files/electronic arts/the sims 3/mods/packages' folder does not download with the game. I have seen a window from TSR download with the game but I'm not sure what is different about it. And I think there are requests on TSR that the cc not be uploaded with a lot. I think I am safe in saying, if it's cc it doesn't download with the house unless the downloader has it already installed.

If you want to disable all of your cc, you will need to take the contents of the above mentioned folder and move it to a temporary folder on your desktop. Then just move it back when you need it again. Happy simming!

MerryWiddow
  • magician1magician1 Posts: 3,098 Member
    edited November 2009
    Hi, I'm back and have a couple of thing I need help with. First, I need serious help with basement building since it will be a while before I can afford the WA expansion which from what I understand will completely solve my basement trials!
    I have followed some tutorials and can get the basements built but my walls are never useable? :( even after going through the tutorial countless times! My pathetic solution to the problem is to build another room within the basement foundation walls. I will post my pics to explain in a bit, but if anyone can give me help, I would appreciate it!

This a pic of what I end up having to do in order to get useable walls in my basements-
    qp12j4.jpg

My other question- I have a home ready for your feedback! I know there are quite a few problems with it so I am up to your comments! :mrgreen: I waited until today because it has been entered in our competetion which ends tonight. I just want feedback for future builds!
    Here are the links
    download for house http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1451290

story walk through- http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=119347

It's really difficult to make a proper assessment as I have no idea what the Criteria for the competition was.

But this is just from what I've observed in general: This may seem a bit harsh but it's just to help you:

A very nice architectural structure but the flat roof does not do it justice.
    Exterior: The fountain is a bit out of sorts there, I don't know if you had a Budget limit. If not then I think maybe the big fountain would've looked right there.
    Pond nicely done (just be carefull not too make them too deep as the Lillies sink underwater then) and looks good with the trees but needed some terrain paint.
    The stone terrain paint is just a bit too much.U could've maybe put in more flower beds.
    The left rear of the backyard looks neglected. Maybe a couple of bumps or terraces with a couple of trees would've looked better.
    Exterior lighting looks good except at the play area.
    Fence: the pillars are unevenly spread. It's better to maybe drag it for 3 to 5 block and stop and repeat. That way u get evenly spread pillars in your fence where u can put lights on top as well.
    The Statue looks lost and may have looked better in the left front garden section.
    The Arches back and front should in my opinion be replaced with double doors.
    The Pool area looks nice and is nicely situated.

Interior: Needs loose rugs, plants, portraits, ornaments (Decorations).
    The ensuite Toilet has no door.
    The rooms gives a feeling of emptyness. Maybe a corner table / coffee table here and there with some ornaments or something on top.
    The Study; maybe a 2 seater couch or a comfortable chair or 2 for reading.
    The bed in the green room's wood just seems out of sorts with the rest of the house and the bedroom.

Overall impression: A very nice build with a lot of potential that wasn't utilised. Give more attention to detail and this will be a stunning house.

PS: I just added a couple of roofs for an example as to what a difference a roof would make to the house. It was done just quickly and not how I would've done it. It's just to give you an idea.

Here's a picture:

HaciendaJudy.jpg

Remember this is my opinion of maybe what I would've done with this excellent struture.

PS:The tiles in the toilet without the door is also not the same, same in the shower.
    The kitchen has 2 different kinds of lights.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited November 2009
    hi lov the houses!!

Ty for the visit and please do so often.
  • BrennaWBrennaW Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited November 2009
    Hi M&M stopping in to visit. Looks like a lot of activity on here. Can't wait to finish one of my WIP's so you guys can give me some guidance. Man I need it! lol

Check in soon.

Luv always Bre
    edited November 2009
    hi lov the houses!!

Welcome silversarah. Visit often.

MerryWiddow
  • SunsetValley01SunsetValley01 Posts: 1,193 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Great thread, thank you so much for making it. It's nice as a novice builder (though I know all the cheats and how to use them, hehe) to ahve a place to come to for advice feedback and to offer my personal opinion. I am, in fact, currently in the process of a series of builds that I'm using an as outlit for my new technique. I went on a hiatus for a little while with builds (excluding some that I uploaded while on my hiatus) because I was very disappointed by the lack of enthusiasm that greeted my hardwork. I took some time to improve and feel I've gotten a lot better.

My new builds, all of Tudor inspiration, are to be both starters and, by the end, elaborate mansions. The first of this series, uploaded yesterday, has been one of my most successful lots yet (I'm extremely happy because of the four hours I worked onit, two were dedicated to play-testing it). I'm looking for some feedback and advice on what I can improve for the next build in the series to make it even better. I don't have any pics, but, I think/hope the cover pic will suffice.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1488239

P.S. Please keep in my, though, I tried to make it available for under 25 000 simoleans. so the lack of landscaping in the back was due to my lack of funds.

Happy simming!

Sunny
    edited November 2009
    Great thread, thank you so much for making it. It's nice as a novice builder (though I know all the cheats and how to use them, hehe) to ahve a place to come to for advice feedback and to offer my personal opinion. I am, in fact, currently in the process of a series of builds that I'm using an as outlit for my new technique. I went on a hiatus for a little while with builds (excluding some that I uploaded while on my hiatus) because I was very disappointed by the lack of enthusiasm that greeted my hardwork. I took some time to improve and feel I've gotten a lot better.

My new builds, all of Tudor inspiration, are to be both starters and, by the end, elaborate mansions. The first of this series, uploaded yesterday, has been one of my most successful lots yet (I'm extremely happy because of the four hours I worked onit, two were dedicated to play-testing it). I'm looking for some feedback and advice on what I can improve for the next build in the series to make it even better. I don't have any pics, but, I think/hope the cover pic will suffice.

P.S. Please keep in my, though, I tried to make it available for under 25 000 simoleans. so the lack of landscaping in the back was due to my lack of funds.

Happy simming!

Sunny

Welcome and thank you for your support.

I'll dl'd it and get back asap.

Thank you
    edited November 2009
    BrennaW wrote:
    Hi M&M stopping in to visit. Looks like a lot of activity on here. Can't wait to finish one of my WIP's so you guys can give me some guidance. Man I need it! lol

Check in soon.

Luv always Bre

Hi Bre,

You don't have to wait. WIP does mean Work In Progress. By all means share as you go.

MerryWiddow
    edited November 2009
    No, thank YOU Magician! Haha, I see myself here many a time to come in the future! Hopefully no one minds if I give feedback as well?! I do enjoy downloading and looking at other peoples work. It provides lots of inspiration and artistic differentiation for me. The Exchange is awesome :)
  • judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited November 2009
    Magician, thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate all of the suggestions you and Merrywiddow have given. :lol: I wasn't really sure about the flat roof either when I did it, but I did want to try something different :? I normally do much smaller scale builds and this one was, I think overwhelming for me. I'm hoping it will be a while before I have to tackle anything on that scale again! But, maybe next time, I will be better prepared for it!
  • racncone123racncone123 Posts: 1,138 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Merrywiddow-

Thank you for the tips on how to chenge the photo. I actually use Zinda's program for my covershots.. I have no idea why I never thought that the sims would work the same LOL.

I can't wait to hear what advice you have on my house. :D
    edited November 2009
    Beachside Modern
    by Racncone123

I took your tour of the house. You were able on most shots to get the sims eye view, but the sim would have to have been a toddler. Your were very low to the floor which made it difficult to see some aspects of the rooms. I see the pictures were taken in build mode. Taking the pictures in "Cameraman Mode" are much more effective. I refer you to the 5th post on this forum.

The architecture is well planned. I find the colour pleasing. The floor plan is functional and playable. The indoor/outdoor pool is a great feature. I like the fence in front of the bathroom for privacy.

The landscaping in the garden is lacking terrain paint under the plants and around the trees. The grass look very manicured. Mixing the different grass terrain paints can give a more natural look. The placement of the plants and trees is good.

In the interior the furniture is sparse. There is lots of room to spread out. A cosy seating area around the fireplace would be inviting. The home needs decor, curtains or blinds and plants. The colour throughout the house could use an accent colour, textures and patterns. The glass doors seem to be popular on modern builds, however, I don't think they are appropriate for a bedroom.

Overall a very nice design. It is one of many that you have built and I've not seen any other houses you have done. You have a lot of style and I feel this one wasn't given your best. Hope to see more.

MerryWiddow
    edited November 2009

Happy simming!

Sunny

First thing: Move a SIm in when u build a house and once in a while go to live mode and back to build mode. That gives u the real price of the house.

I placed u'r house on a 2 700 Simoleons lot and came to a Total amount of 21601 Simoleons.

1 st Impression: House looks a bit cramped and Narrow from the front, the dark wooden walls are a bit dark with the dark roof, I would've made the wood on the walls slightly lighter.
    Make sure to paint those triangles that the roof makes, it's free.
    The Dustbin on the front porch??? U've got some nooks and corners at the back to have put it there.
    No light at front door.
    Left front room empty, u could break out the wall and just extend the lounge into it.
    The Batroom floor is blue as main color, but the wall are maroon striped as main color, maybe change it to Blue main color on the walls.
    The coffee table is into the bookshelves.
    The kitchen patterns and walls are a bit busy. Maybe make the counter tops a solid color and/or the floor.
    The bedroom is a bit to small for the end table, if u remove it u can turn the bed and have 2 Sims move in.
    The 2 benches so close to the street doesn't give u a bit of privacy but I understan why u've put them there.

Overall Impression: I like the house very much, specially the design and the look u gave it.
    I see a lot of potential in u and would just recommend a bit more attention to detail.

What I do to see if my colors are too overwhelming, is finish my house and go for a walk or just go away from my PC for a bit and come back. Look at the house from the top ans see what it looks like then.

Nice build and I rec'd it as a good place to start. Your new style suits your builds better.

Thank you for sharing and being willing to let us give our impression.

Good luck and stick to your Tudor type style until u've got that mastered.

Looking forward to your next build. I know it will be good.

edited November 2009
    Beachside Modern
    by Racncone123

I took your tour of the house. You were able on most shots to get the sims eye view, but the sim would have to have been a toddler. Your were very low to the floor which made it difficult to see some aspects of the rooms. I see the pictures were taken in build mode. Taking the pictures in "Cameraman Mode" are much more effective. I refer you to the 5th post on this forum.

The architecture is well planned. I find the colour pleasing. The floor plan is functional and playable. The indoor/outdoor pool is a great feature. I like the fence in front of the bathroom for privacy.

The landscaping in the garden is lacking terrain paint under the plants and around the trees. The grass look very manicured. Mixing the different grass terrain paints can give a more natural look. The placement of the plants and trees is good.

In the interior the furniture is sparse. There is lots of room to spread out. A cosy seating area around the fireplace would be inviting. The home needs decor, curtains or blinds and plants. The colour throughout the house could use an accent colour, textures and patterns. The glass doors seem to be popular on modern builds, however, I don't think they are appropriate for a bedroom.

Overall a very nice design. It is one of many that you have built and I've not seen any other houses you have done. You have a lot of style and I feel this one wasn't given your best. Hope to see more.

MerryWiddow

I agree with MW's comments.

BTW your house for T4T doesn't want to Dl'd. MW tried as well and same problem.
    edited November 2009
    magician1 wrote:
    This is for all to please Dl'd and give me your comments after youve looked at the house in your game. It's a Starter for 15 555 Simoleons:
    For those who doesn't want to Dl'd, I'm posting some pictures but 1st the Link:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1490301

Cover Picture:

Starter.jpg

Bedroom:

Screenshot-5.jpg

And dining area and Lounge:

Screenshot-4.jpg

I want everybody to give me their opinion! Negative is more than welcome as well as positive.

MW: Please give me your honest and str8 opinion.

Are there no takers on looking at my house and give me some comments?
    Please folks, comment on it. We can then see how different each person opinion on the same house is.

I also want you to go and look at the following house:
    Link:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1361052

Give me your comments as well on this house.

Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited November 2009
    Thanks Magician, going back into the house I notice everything you talked about. I've just started my new tudor, and I'm definitely trying to take all of this into account (especially overwhelming patterns, haha, I notice I ahve that in a lot of my older builds).

Thanks so much again! It's nice to hear some well thought out constructive criticism, and being a beginner, that's what's best to improve your builds!

Sunny
  • Sherry1968Sherry1968 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Hey Magician! I will take a stab at your house, but I don't have time right now to download and all that. So, just going by the pictures you've posted, here goes.

There is something about the roofline over the door that I don't like. Perhaps if you changed it to a shed roof with a lower angle just for that one part, or maybe even add 2 columns by the front door, but I know that adds to your cost. I guess I would have to play with it to see what I'm thinking, lol.

Next, I think I would move the 2 bushes out by the road into the yard, but still right up front there, and instead, put your mailbox right next to the sidewalk.

The bottom half of the wall in the bedroom, if I remember right, is there a similar pattern, but with the pattern a bit smaller and closer? I don't mean the one with just the vine, but it still has flowers. If there is, I think I would like that one better.

In the living room, I like the pattern on the LR chairs, but it looks just slightly off compared to the lower wall color.

Lastly, your sim is NAKED! (I'm not looking, lol)

Now, all that being said, I'm not always great at envisioning things without trying them out, so it may be all wrong. :D Anyway, it is very nitpicky stuff, and I think the build looks very good the way it is. It may just be a matter of personal taste. :wink:

Love your new thread here, and I will try to post something if I ever have time to build it, LOL.

EDIT: Oh, I just went to that other link you posted at the bottom! Now you're just showing off...
    (I'm just kidding, Magician! I already told you I love that one)
    edited November 2009
    Ok M&M give my Victorian WIP a go:

Exterior shell is done but no landscaping:

screenshot_original.jpg"width=600""height=450"

Only interior I have done is half the master bedroom:
    Note I am changing out the "white" window casings to a more traditional wood/gold on the interior.

No stairs exiting the back porch yet either as I haven't decided how I am landscaping the backyard.

Luv Bre
    edited November 2009
    BrennaW wrote:
    Ok M&M give my Victorian WIP a go:

Exterior shell is done but no landscaping:

Only interior I have done is half the master bedroom:
    Note I am changing out the "white" window casings to a more traditional wood/gold on the interior.

No stairs exiting the back porch yet either as I haven't decided how I am landscaping the backyard.

Luv Bre

I really like what I see so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Only 1 comment I would like to give at this stage: The roof and the wall colors???? Try a Grey roof maybe. I wish we could color the roofs. I think they used slate for their roofs in that era.

edited November 2009
    K:
    Slate:

Jade:

Let me know.

Bre

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji