Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Random Reading Roundabout

TwiggyTwiggy Posts: 995 Member
Welcome to reading circle... the Random Reading Roundabout

simsmosaic-small.jpg

In this reading circle space is provided for a group of simlit writers to read and view each others work in order to talk, share, encourage and grow. Of course, everyone is free to chime in and read the selected stories!

There are a few pointers when joining (in). You'll be asked to work together on creating a place where we have fun, read, write, give compliments and grow whether as a motivator, writer, simmer or friend. It's also important to keep up with each members' selected story on a weekly basis when we are able to, being flexible with each other when life asks us and let our circle know when we need to take breaks.

There are not many other restrictions; you're welcome! Whether you are a new writer or an established one, a writer of Sims 2,3, or 4, story based or not, in whatever theme; it does not matter here. The joy in writing is what counts :) Let's create an 'intimate' environment where we can share our stories and experiences!

Do you want to join a reading circle? The Roundabout is currently full but you can read all about joining a circle with available spots right here.

Okay, now that we have the introduction of this topic covered, let's introduce members...
Post edited by Twiggy on

Comments

• TwiggyTwiggy Posts: 995 Member
    edited January 2017
    Random Reading Roundabout

This roundabout is open to all traffic! : You are welcome to join at any time--don't worry if you've missed the past week's readings, just jump in where we are!

About our members

Currently in our motley crew are, as mentioned in the post above:

@sweetnightingale , who is writing As Tears Go By, a dramatic music-themed legacy for Sims 3, and you can check out her questionnaire answers here;

@lisabee2 , who is writing Snow and Prince Redux, a legacy story featuring Snow White and Prince Charming for Sims 4, and her questionnaire answers are here;

@mastressalita who is writing The Cat Chronicles, a cat-perspective slice-of-life for Sims 3, and her questionnaire answers are here;

Myself, who is writing Monstrous Mezilkree, a Prettacy Challenge for Sims 4, and you can check out my questionnaire answers here.

@Dancer-freak, who is writing The Blakesley Legacy, a legacy story for Sims 4, and you can check out her questionnaire answers here.

And our newest member, @Simsophonique, who is writing Miss V Detective, a wicked detective story for Sims 3, and you can check out her questionnaire answers here.
    Post edited by Twiggy on
    edited June 2016
    @lisabee2 Thank you for joining this reading circle! I apologize that it took me a couple of days to get this going. Please let me know what story you would like us to focus on. If you can add a link too, that would be great! I'll add it to our member list then

@mastressalita Please let me know whether I got the right link posted. :smiley:

@writtenfae and @cuddles5427 I would very much like to add your link and story name too, so leave a comment and I'll update the post!

Sweet, I can't wait to get started and catch up on your selected stories. Let me know if you are all comfortable reading all chapters. I do not know if we all have as many chapters written already but can't wait to find out (I have 30 and a prologue myself). Oh, last but not least: leave any suggestions you might have here, so we can make this fun together!
    Post edited by Twiggy on
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    I am joining this Reading Circle! I am @mastressalita , I'm a fulltime librarian, I have Daily Chronic Migraine disorder (read: I update very slowly as a result), and I run the largest index of SimLit links on these forums, the Stories and Legacies Index (any members of this Reading Circle, I would love to see you come submit your works to the index if you haven't already!)

I write Sim stories that are a combination of the game's machinations and the evil thoughts inside my own mind, over at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3. The story I'm submitting to this reading circle is The Cat Chronicles (the other story on my site is darker and more mature in themes, so I've submitted it to a different reading circle where such material is welcome).

The Cat Chronicles is not plot-heavy... it's very light, the parts are short, and I like to refer to it as a "dessert read" -- sweet but not particularly filling. It's simply the world through the eyes of a cat. Cat owners seem to find it humorous. It's the first thing I ever wrote, so the screencaps/text are painfully bad in the beginning... fair warning. Just a simple cat PoV slice-of-life.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    I am super new to blogging ..

I only have 2 stories in WP

One is a short story. This one really means a lot to me. It was my first exploration into the short story format (a whole 'nother ball game) .. I enjoyed it an am plotting out my next already!

https://lisabeesims.wordpress.com/2016/06/08/the-chair/

I have one multi part story in blog format ... it is my fractured fairy tale :)

It is in 3 parts ..

1- My Insane Asylum Challenge .. where we first meet Snow. I posted these 11 "chapters" as a back story. They are off beat and I would hope humorous. Snow was the "accidental" winner of that challenge and quite honestly I never expected to go back. But When I finished a different challenge and did not have the energy to move into the new one yet I stopped by to see snow ... I never expected it to take off but it did ..

2- Snow White – life after the asylum .. I thought this would be 2 or three posts and done. A story sprung out of nowhere .. my readers (almost all of my readers are from FB) wanted more. So I kept going .. till the bitter end .. but the end was not to be LOL so I guess the best place to start to read would be this section of 13 blogs .. starting here.

https://lisabeesims.wordpress.com/2016/04/22/snow-white-new-beginnings-1/

3- I am having fun with Prince and Snow Redux ... I get to have some crazy adventures and the game has thrown me a few surprises too LOL (I just posted #13 in this one)

SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    @mastressalita I have enjoyed a few of your cat chronicles .. I know I will enjoy digging back to read them
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    @twiggy your story looks adorable
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    edited June 2016
    Hi there,

Great to see we are getting off to a good start! Needed my sleep badly yesterday but feeling quite refreshed atm. I too will introduce myself here now. I hope the twins are entertaining themselves for a little while. Although I love em to bits, I'll be happy to see them go to school five days a week this coming fall ;) So, I'm a stay at home mom for those two adorable 'naughty and nice, sweet as spice' toddler kids; a girl and boy.

I started playing the Sims again last year. In previous versions, I had always been a builder first. That has shifted, though. I rediscovered my passion for expressing my creativity in general with the Sims 4 and writing through simlit. I'm very grateful for that. With those busy toddlers, it's currently easier sitting behind my PC then it is to set up and easel or get behind my sewing machine.

My first ever sims challenge immediately turned into a story. I started a male prettacy challenge with a couple or more brainfarts as the basic storyline. There was no scoring available for the challenge as far as I knew. Though, I somehow wanted to keep track of generations and happenings. That's when Twiggy's Sims Adventures got going. By now, I have Monstrous Mezilkree and several short stories bundled there. I share posts with buildings I put in the Gallery there too occasionally.
    edited June 2016
    If you have any pointers or want to share some of your expectations for this circle here, feel free of course! I'm looking forward to reading everyone's story! I hope to have time this evening (yay, mommy time) to get a good start and to check up on traffic here at the roundabout ;)

@mastressalita Feel welcome and please, don't worry about update schedules or anything, as far as I'm concerned. If it feels right to you, I feel the same way :)

@lisabee2 Thanks and welcome too! I added your link to the second post and added your WP to my Reader. I too, feel like new to blogging still and reading my introduction... I actually am lol
  • cuddles5427cuddles5427 Posts: 101 Member
    edited June 2016
    Hello everyone, I am excited to start reading the stories. A few years ago I had a sims 3 story going. I lost my desire to continue though. I've recently decided to bring it back in the sims 4.

ifitdoesntkillus.blogspot.com
    SiggyForSimsNow_zpsk1i15rwv.png
    Hiya, and welcome! @cuddles5427 I've added your story to our member list :)
  • sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    Hi everyone,

So, it looks like I'm in to join this circle. :) I'll join with my story "As Tears Go By. " it's not been updated in a while but I am remedying that now. :) I'm hoping to have a new chapter out for it this weekend. Right now, there are 8 chapters and I'm on generation 1. It's a legacy but a different sort of one. The chapters are fairly short, so it won't take long to catch up on it. You can find the link for it in my siggy. :)

For those who don't know, I joined the Writer's Lounge today and did an intro there. I'm so looking forward to reading all your stories.
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
    Welcome, it's great to have you join our circle! @sweetnightingale I've put your story up in the second post for us to catch up on.
    edited June 2016
    Hiya all, I'm in need of some input, sweethearts

Sharon joining brings our total up to 6 members. We have some catching up to do on our shared stories. Do we close the circle here? Is knowing update schedules a factor in our decision on the number of members in this circle? I personally upload a chapter a week that contains between around 800 to 1200 words. I think a total of 6 or 7 members will do. What do you think? @mastressalita @cuddles5427 @writtenfae @lisabee2 and @sweetnightingale

@writtenfae I would very much like to add your link and story name, so we can get a start on your story too. Leave a comment and I'll update the post! :)
    @Twiggy - I think 6 or 7 members should do. I try to upload twice monthly (I have a few stories going on) but try to do more often when I can.

@cuddles54227 - I'm caught up on your story and am loving it so far. :) You write so well and have such a way of pulling the reader in. You really feel for the characters, especially the protagonist with what he's going through.

@Everyone - Not sure what story I'll start next but will do that this afternoon. I'm looking forward to them all. :)
  • cuddles5427cuddles5427 Posts: 101 Member
    @Twiggy I think our circle is at a nice amount of numbers as of right now. I've also started reading your Male Prettacy.

@sweetnightingale I am caught up on your story as well. I'm loving how descriptive you are and the language you use.

@lisabee2 I've just started you're story and it is so cute so far. Yoj did am excellent job creating Snow White.

Now I am off to start the Cat Chronicles. :smiley:
    SiggyForSimsNow_zpsk1i15rwv.png
    I probably won't have a chance to start jumping in and reading things until after this week, because I've been working hard on pulling together my Sims Pride event (one of the few things I have a set deadline for, which is June 26th!) After that deadline, things will ease up on me. Because of my Daily Chronic Migraines, my updates are sporadic. I tend to always have a new short story each month, but Cat Chronicles updates "when the powers that be say it is so." Which I know isn't very helpful, heh. It looks like a great group to me, though!

*rushes off to her library job now*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
  • writtenfaewrittenfae Posts: 192 Member
    Sorry for being so late, yesterday at work killed and I just couldn't bring myself to look at the computer after. My story is The Blackmoore Legacy. It follows the Blackmoore Family in a Simlit style while I behind the scenes try to keep to the Sims Legacy rules and keep my heirs from dying before they have made new little heirs. =)

I'm taking tomorrow off work for a me day and will start reading everyone's stories either tonight or tomorrow! Dedicate a whole day to it! heh.
    Blackmoore Legacy
    Draco%20Banner_zpsjy1lrxr1.png
    My YouTube channel here! Rosebud Challenge & Tiny Living Challenge.
    Disney Princess Bachelor Challenge!
    Absolutely no problem! @writtenfae I guess we all have those days. But be welcome! I'll add your story to our reading list :)
    @cuddles54227 - Awww, well, thank you very much! :) I'm so glad you're enjoying my story and like my writing style. Sometimes I wonder if I get TOO descriptive. LOL! Debbie's quite the woman with a lot of sass, which I don't see changing anytime soon. :grin: She's been through a lot and deserves to have some happiness in her life.

@writtenfae - I'll add your story to my reading list. Looking forward to reading it.

@Everyone - I'm still deciding which story to start next. We had to be out part of the day. Then when I got home, I got a phone call from another Sims friend I've known since nearly the beginning of my LP career on Youtube. We chat on the phone every now and again. She had some extra free time today to talk a bit longer so we had a marathon gab session. :)

I'll probably do some reading this evening. I'm trying to get written up the next chapter of "As Tears Go By" since poor Debbie needs an update and some TLC. I've neglected her, poor woman.

I hope everyone is doing well today. :)
    edited June 2016
    Hello, everyone!

The main goal of this reading circle is, the name says it already, creating some traffic for your story and story updates (ánd discover awesome simlit too of course). I also think the idea is to comment on the threads specific to the story/challenge itself so that we have and can build a loyal fan base, receive comments/feedback. We also build community involvement by asking each other questions and discussing things such as creating backstory, characters, plot dialogue, world building, and any other elements that I'm missing related to Simlit or how we allow the gameplay to help us craft our stories. Always feel free to share your goings on here and make sure to bookmark the thread! :smiley:

Okay, today we have a full circle so... it's time to get our heads together! :smile: I was wondering how we see our expectations for this reading circle. Myself, I want to suggest we catch up on each other's stories first. Since some of us have more chapters than others and some may have more available time to read, I think a first open discussion on the shared stories would be around next weekend taking into account that @mastressalita is otherwise engaged this week? Let me know if you all agree with this tactic and what days would suit, maybe?

I want to propose after the first open discussion of our stories, we do a weekly round up ourselves of the updates of the previous week, maybe each weekend also. Whatever we decide about this, I want to respect that we do not all share time zones and commenting can be done during the course of a day or so.

Would you like to see a summary of the week's updates in one of the first posts on this topic or do we click em when members share an update (link) here or as they come along in our reader or do you have other suggestions? I think posting a comment here whenever an update is shared on our blogs is the least we should do lol and I don't mind doing a roundup each week either.

Also, I've noticed that a novel idea started by @Marialein over in the A Novel Idea Reading Circle to introduce yourself as a member by using a questionnaire. More than one reading circle has adopted this idea and started using it too. Would you be interested in sharing some personal info about yourself also so that we all get to know our fellows a little? If not, I'm totally cool with that <3
    Real name (if you want to tell it, optional nickname you prefer):

Do you have a pet:

Favorite season:

Hobby (not playing sims):

Dream job if everything is possible:

Any sports you do?

Favorite food:

Favorite superhero:

Favourite Disney princess:

My favorite film right now:

First film you watched where your parents said you are too young for it:

The first book you cried like the world is ending right now:

How would you dress yourself the whole time without thinking of the weather: summer dresses

Picture of your simself:

Favorite sim right now and picture:

First time you played sims happened what:

Dream expansion pack for sims 4:

Then last but hopefully not least lol I 've been doodling in Ps and came up with a little item to adorn our first page. Just a draft but would like to hear what you guys think.

simsmosaic-small.jpg

I promise that's it for me for now... :sleeping: time
    Wow, @Twiggy, you're really on the ball. :) I hope I can do half as well for the circle I'm starting.

This all sounds good. I'm available over the weekend and part of the next, so Saturday and/or Sunday works for me. I'm also cool with a questionnaire. Hey, I'm easy to get along with, so whatever the group decides is perfectly fine with me. :)

The image looks great so far. It'll be cool to have our own logo. :D
    Aww, thank you @sweetnightingale I'm glad you like what we're starting here :) This is my first time hosting a communal topic and first time joining any reading circle so most of what I do is on the fly. That's also why I'll say, once again lol, that pointers or additions are welcome. I appreciate all input to make our circle a great place to hang out, so to speak ;)
    @Twiggy - You're very welcome. :) We're off to a great start and this is a lot of fun. We're in the same boat. This is my first time joining a reading circle such as this. I was part of a discussion group held at our library where we met once a month but I had to drop because I had a hard time keeping up when life got crazy. I miss it. It'll be my first time actually "running" a circle, so hopefully I'll do half as well as you're doing. Hoping my Reader's Nook will take off in time. :)

Here is my reading progress so far. As I said previously, I'm caught up with @cuddles54227 and Snow White's New Beginnings from @lisabee2 . I believe there were 11 chapters in the section. I've left comments on both blogs telling both ladies how much I enjoyed their stories. I've not read the Asylum Challenge or the Snow and Prince Redeux section but I did thoroughly enjoy Snow's life after her release. :) I loved the humor and lighthearted commentary style and the screenshots were wonderful. I also loved that she features builds from other Simmers and tells us where to find them. I've got my eye on some of them to put into my own game.

Next, I think I'll move on to the Male Prelacy story from @Twiggy. The troll angle sounds very interesting and I'm dying to see what the founder looks like. :D

@Twiggy - I love the idea of having us put updates for our circle on this thread. I check this thread quite often and seeing updates here will get my attention, as those are the stories I"m prioritizing right now. :)

So, that's where I'm at right now. I hope everyone's having a nice Friday. I was actually supposed to be out for part of the day but had to make other plans. I'm a little under the weather with some stomach issues so thought it was best to bow out. The bright side is, I can get some more work done on my next chapter for "As Tears Go By" and hopefully get something out by tomorrow. Let's hope all goes as planned and my game denies to behave itself. :)
    Whew! At long, LONG last, a new chapter for "As Tears Go By" is available. Since this is my story for our Circle, I'll go ahead and post the update here, so hope that's okay. :) Debbie is back and she's hopping mad.

Debbie%2B%2526%2BEricka%2B2.jpg

"As Tears Go By," Chapter 9, He*ll Hath No Fury

Debbie is confronted by Simon's wife, who holds nothing back.
    Since the forums love to mess up links that have mundane words in them that they deem unacceptable, I already have that link Stories and Legacies Index-ified (which means I've run it through Google URL Shortener... for one this means I can fit waaaaay more Monthly Site Updates onto a post, but the other benefit is this gets around such problems, mwahahaha. Sneaky librarian is sneaky). So the link above, rectified:

As Tears Go By Ch. 9
    sali_adbanner3.jpg