Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Simcraft81 wrote: »
    Hi, @AuroraLockwood Don't feel guilty. Whatever you do to cure writer's block IS part of working on the story. Say somebody is lifting weights. After they finish a set they take a brief break in order to do another set. Without that break, they won't be able to lift anymore or won't have good form and get burnt out. I hope this helped as well :)

This is super good advice! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @lisabee2 @Rainydayz179 @CathyTea Thanks. I generally do try to do something else the problem is, at least when the writers block is really bad, that I tend to feel guilty doing that because I feel like I should be working on the story. I think I will try what Cathy suggested though and just try to force myself to write (even if it's just something random and separate) in the hopes that I will get caught up in it and stress less about it.

Inspiration can come from anywhere, too. That's why I look up writing prompts to see if anything sounds interesting, and then I write about it. Maybe that might help, too.

Oooh, yeah! Writing prompts are great for that daily practice!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    @lisabee2 @Rainydayz179 @CathyTea Thanks. I generally do try to do something else the problem is, at least when the writers block is really bad, that I tend to feel guilty doing that because I feel like I should be working on the story. I think I will try what Cathy suggested though and just try to force myself to write (even if it's just something random and separate) in the hopes that I will get caught up in it and stress less about it.

The question is who is making you feel guilty .. guilt is a very toxic thing .. if some one is inflicting it on you then you need to extract yourself from that relationship. If it is self-imposed guilt .. I caution you that it is a huge hole that keeps getting deep the more you dig it. Sims is a great game and designed for fun .. have fun with it.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    @CathyTea .. I love your 5 points to gain inspiration .. I do that .. I talk to myself while I do dishes or or fold laundry .. musing on what kind of dialog might happen .. when I think of something that really resonates then I jot it down on a blank word doc
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    @CathyTea .. I love your 5 points to gain inspiration .. I do that .. I talk to myself while I do dishes or or fold laundry .. musing on what kind of dialog might happen .. when I think of something that really resonates then I jot it down on a blank word doc

i do that during the day. but a lot of times i just have to rember because i get inspired while i try and sleep. if i can't rember i come here to yell at jes because its her fault . she cursed me .
    I have done that LOL @friendsfan367 .. lay down to sleep and my brain wold NOT stop plotting LOL
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger

Back when I was teaching face-to-face classes (all my classes are online now), my students loved to talk about ways to get inspired! My favorite was the bicyclist who'd take these long rides on country roads... and his essays were amazing! He just had to remember to watch out for the train tracks when he was riding and writing in his mind! :dizzy:

LOL a train would be a pretty rough jolt back to reality .. but I can see how bike riding would help your thoughts fly faster!! @CathyTea
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member

@CathyTea I don't recall hearing of this before? Can you share what it is?
  • StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member

@Rainydayz179 It's on the bottom of the previous page in the post with the picture of the golden gate bridge.

It's here:
    Here are some techniques for gaining inspiration that my students have taught me:

1) Think about your writing, and then do something: go for a bike ride, take a walk, do the dishes, take a shower, go swimming, make a meal.

2) Daydream.

3) Play! Imagine you're your character. Write the story backwards or inside out!

4) Go someplace stimulating: a cafe, outside, a different room.

5) Watch a movie or play games--then write.

These are things my students all shared.

I tend to water the garden and wash dishes. Sitting in the garden helps me get ideas and inspiration, too. For SimLit, playing Sims helps tremendously! You mentioned that on the last page, with your ISBI.

Another idea that's really helped my students is write letters to themselves: What do I really want to say in this essay?

I've tried this technique sometimes when I've gotten mired and tangled in creative writing, longer works especially: What do I really want to say in this novel? It's helped.

• lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    So, Uncle Jim died on Monday. I’m saddened by this because he is the first to die of my dad’s siblings. Plus, my uncle is hugely against my mom due to ridiculous reasons caused by my aunt’s rantings and his mental illness. So, dad’s family is blah.

I’m kind of messy and meh right now. :|

And because I'm so logical and kind of distant, part of me is like "well, I knew it was kind of coming due to some recent issues we heard about" but I don't know. Sometimes things like this hit us in weird places. lol
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    So, Uncle Jim died on Monday. I’m saddened by this because he is the first to die of my dad’s siblings. Plus, my uncle is hugely against my mom due to ridiculous reasons caused by my aunt’s rantings and his mental illness. So, dad’s family is blah.

And because I'm so logical and kind of distant, part of me is like "well, I knew it was kind of coming due to some recent issues we heard about" but I don't know. Sometimes things like this hit us in weird places. lol

hugs

Big hugs, lovesstorms. Don't worry about making all the pieces fit right now--it's so natural for parts of us to be logical and distant, and other parts might be complete emotional mixes of all kinds of feelings.

Hugs for all the parts, the messy and the meh.

• StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member

Sorry for your loss. :(
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member

My condolences! :( Hugs to you.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member

My condolences, and lots of hugs!
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • TwiggyTwiggy Posts: 995 Member
    So sorry for your loss @lovesstorms And I agree with Cathy, not all feelings can be placed or fit into the bigger scheme of things just like that. Take your time and big ~hug~
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @lovesstorms Hugs & prayers for comfort and peace for you and your family.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
  • JellysimwichJellysimwich Posts: 778 Member
    Bookmarked this thread! Didn't catch it before.

Man, I really needed to come here and vent when I lost an entire residential lot (magically went unfurnished) and I needed to take screenshots for my simlit. Still haven't mustered up the strength to refurnish it again. There's so much to do and I can't miss any details, ugh. Anyway...Hello group!
    @Jellysimwich Oh, what a bother to have to recreate all of that! Maybe do a little at a time?

CathyTea wrote: »
    @Jellysimwich Oh, what a bother to have to recreate all of that! Maybe do a little at a time?

I have been trying to. It's just overwhelming because I have used so much CC clutter to make it feel 'livable', that placing the basic furniture down isn't enough. I have to add all the little knickknack details too. Grrr! Got one room done so far...
  • moonswirlsmoonswirls Posts: 2,350 Member
    So..... i'm just gunna sit here...

My unemployment (long term. its been, so.... fuuuuunnn... not) is making me depressed, low, devoid of energy, unmotivated, and so darn lonely.
    I've been trying my hardest to get a job but its so hard to find somewhere accommodating of my illness.
    So..... i'm just gunna sit here...

My unemployment (long term. its been, so.... fuuuuunnn... not) is making me depressed, low, devoid of energy, unmotivated, and so darn lonely.
    I've been trying my hardest to get a job but its so hard to find somewhere accommodating of my illness.

Hi,

What are your restrictions? Might have some ideas...